Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,821 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:22 AM

So far as I know, Fox Movie Channel does not have an HD feed period.

Fox Movie Channel has an HD simulcast.

I believe it started last year...

~Alan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 501 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:23 AM

Since I originally sat down (Jan 2010) and figured out what HD channels I would still much like to see added D* has added 2 (AMC, WGN America) and deleted 1 (G4). So arguably they have addressed 3 of 14 in 2.5 years. I would definitely appreciate the addition of TCM-HD.

My remaining HD desires (in no particular order):

BBC-A
IFC
Outdoor Channel
RFD-TV
TCM (!)
My 5 (Rochester, MN) LiLs

and for the Mrs:

QVC

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#83 OFFLINE   RML81

RML81

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:24 AM

~Alan

I stand corrected! :) I guess I should update the FMC wikipedia page, then. Anybody got a link that says it's in HD? :lol:

When could we anticipate TCM HD launching? Wednesday?

#84 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,745 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:26 AM

So far as I know, Fox Movie Channel does not have an HD feed period.

DOH, that would explain things then. But what about NGW? :scratchin

#85 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 927 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:27 AM

I wonder if the AMC dispute over at Dish might have any impact on DIRECTV adding some of the 'missing' national HD channels quicker?

I don't think so. The impact may be with those customers who don't want to wait on Dish Network and AMC Networks to come to a new carriage agreement.

#86 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,745 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:28 AM

~Alan

Well I guess Wikipedia hasn't been updated then yet.

And:

Since January 1, 2012, at 3 p.m. ET, Fox Movie Channel becomes FXM (FX Movie Channel), which airs newer movies, edited for content and including commercials. The rest of the time, movies will air uncut without commercials.

#87 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

I wonder if the AMC dispute over at Dish might have any impact on DIRECTV adding some of the 'missing' national HD channels quicker? I know I see a number of posts from folks saying they wouldn't switch because there's too many channels that DIRECTV doesn't have that Dish has. Getting channels like TCM, BBCA, H2, DYI, etc might make DIRECTV more attractive to those folks.

I doubt it. Not many people find basic HD important enough to actually make a switch to another provider. There are of course some, but I don't think there would be enough to gain for DirecTV.

After all, Dish has about 15+ more BASIC HD channels, and people from DirecTV aren't switching for those either. (Although I don't have hard evidence in numbers, from these forums it would seem like that even the most hardcore must-have-HD people would not switch, so it is easy to assume the average DirecTV customer would not either.)
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#88 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 927 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:53 AM

I stand corrected! :) I guess I should update the FMC wikipedia page, then. Anybody got a link that says it's in HD?

Bright House Networks (BHN) and Wide Open West (WOW) are two cable-television providers who seem to think Fox Movie Channel is available in high definition.

http://applications....ps/default.aspx
BHN, Birmingham, Alabama: 1380 FMC HD
BHN, Bakersfield, California: 1647 FMC HD
BHN, Orlando, Florida: 1389 FMC HD
BHN, Tampa, Florida: 1389 FMC HD
BHN, Indianapolis, Indiana: 793 FMC HD
BHN, Novi, Michigan: 685 FMC HD

http://www.wowway.co...channel-lineups
WOW, Chicago, Illinois: 237 FMC HD
WOW, Evansville, Indiana: 837 FMC HD
WOW, Detroit, Michigan: 237 FMC HD
WOW, Cleveland, Ohio: 237 FMC HD
WOW, Columbus, Ohio: 237 FMC HD

#89 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:54 AM

Well I guess Wikipedia hasn't been updated then yet.

Since Wikipedia relies on users like you and me to input information, it isn't a very reliable source of information. Many people put in stuff, without adding references to the actual source of information, so it is sometimes a crap shoot whether it is complete truth.

I always look and see if it is referenced to a source at the bottom.

That said, Wikipedia is one of those sites that compiles information from many sources, so it remains a very easy reference and MOST of the time does contain the right info.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#90 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,745 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:58 AM

Ok so is FMC, aka FXM, available in HD or not?

#91 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 927 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:04 AM

It appears that Fox Movie Channel HD is also available from Insight in two key areas:

http://www.michaelsi...ling-green.html
INSIGHT, Evansville, Indiana: 956 FMC HD
INSIGHT, Bowling Green, Ohio: 956 FMC HD

#92 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:16 AM

When could we anticipate TCM HD launching? Wednesday?

Although they do usually launch channels on Wednesday, since this is July 4th I don't think so.

My guess would either be Thursday, or next week Monday.

I am the Stig.

#93 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,558 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:16 AM

Since Wikipedia relies on users like you and me to input information, it isn't a very reliable source of information. Many people put in stuff, without adding references to the actual source of information, so it is sometimes a crap shoot whether it is complete truth.

I always look and see if it is referenced to a source at the bottom.

That said, Wikipedia is one of those sites that compiles information from many sources, so it remains a very easy reference and MOST of the time does contain the right info.

I remember some study being done and finding that wikipedia is actually more reliable than supposed sources like standard encyclopediae. However, that does not make it infallible and because of the sheer amount of data that wikipedia holds, there will be more errors in hard count than in any encyclopedia.

But, it is, over time (since you get the Sarah Palin bubbles), extremely reliable as a single source of information.

And it is monitored, BTW. It is not just raw data from peoples.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#94 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,821 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:18 AM

FMC/FXM is available in HD for any provider who wants to add it...

~Alan

#95 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:26 AM

Since we got no hints from SatelliteRacer.... I am wondering: Is he no longer allowed to supply public hints? (In fear that Swanni is going to walk with it and write up some article that HE, and HE alone found out about new HD?)

I am the Stig.

#96 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,992 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:34 AM

tcm isn't showing up in the directv android app...

TCMHD wouldn't show up on anything until it's out of testing. Usually is a week or two.

#97 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,821 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:40 AM

TCMHD wouldn't show up on anything until it's out of testing. Usually is a week or two.

Actually... that's not true!

Channels have been known to show up in the iOS/Android apps as well as the DirecTV.com guide prior to launch multiple times in the past. They don't always show up there the same day it's listed as being in testing though... :lol:

If one has a stand-alone Series 2 TiVo set-up for DirecTV, additions have been known from time to time to show up in the guide prior to launch as well.

~Alan

#98 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:43 AM

In recent additions, it has been as little as 2 days. In "TEST" on Monday, and "LIVE" on Wednesday. It doesn't have to be a week or two weeks, as soon as they are satisfied with the test, it can go live. And more often then not, the guide data is updated some time between "TEST" and "LIVE" meaning that all sorts of apps and guides could see updates as soon as tomorrow. Or even later today.

I am the Stig.

#99 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,992 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

Sure it can be earlier. But if you plan for a week, and it happens in two days it's a bonus. If you plan for two days, it's a delay and there are complaints :)

#100 OFFLINE   lost4now

lost4now

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:04 PM

Sure, no problem. :)

Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...