Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#1021 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,536 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:18 PM

The channels other than local NBC could be in a mix. And with an agreement with a broadcaster (perhaps a broadcaster who has agreed to carriage of three special feeds plus the regular channels, such as NBC) a mix channel shouldn't be a problem.

And there is the catch. They have to agree. I can see them allowing the soccer and basketball channels but as the big network is so important to them and to the affiliates, they probably nixed putting the NBC main network on.

Not sure what other major networks are on mixes for other sports. I know the CBS feed is on the masters but the masters is commercial free and actually owned by Augusta national not CBS.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1022 OFFLINE   Joe Spears

Joe Spears

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 109 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:07 AM

tcm hd, tcm 2 hd , h2 hd and military history hd r on a test channels. TCM HD IS ON TEST CHANNEL 9256 TCM 2 HD IS ON TEST CHANNEL 9569 H2 HD ON 9271 MILITARY HISTORY HD ON 9270 AND E! HD IS ON TEST CHANNEL 9236

Thinking back about this post he actually got TCM HD correct way before it was showing up in TEST for Sixto maybe he really does have some inside information or a special engineering receiver that receives channels we can't see...or it was just a coincidence :confused:

#1023 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:12 AM

Thank you. Hopefully one day it shows up.

Netflix carries both seasons as well.

#1024 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 389 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:45 AM

[quote name='Joe Spears']Thinking back about this post he actually got TCM HD correct way before it was showing up in TEST for Sixto maybe he really does have some inside information or a special engineering receiver that receives channels we can't see...or it was just a coincidence :confused:[/QUOTE

I wonder if this really was a coincidence or did he know something. I don't believe he ever posted anything since, did he?

#1025 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 389 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:48 AM

Netflix carries both seasons as well.

Thank you. I'll check out Netflix.

#1026 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 659 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:20 PM

C'mon all, lets anticipate an August Festivus! Fuse HD or FMC HD...maybe BBCA HD? Whatever happened to talks of the Pentagon channel arriving?

#1027 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,536 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:57 PM

C'mon all, lets anticipate an August Festivus! Fuse HD or FMC HD...maybe BBCA HD? Whatever happened to talks of the Pentagon channel arriving?

The last two would be marvelous. I would also love the Plex channels (if they ever arrive) to be in HD where they can be.

Pip! Pip! Cheerio! (I hope)
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#1028 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

Whatever happened to talks of the Pentagon channel arriving?

I don't think they ever got to an agreement. The media said it was to be carried on DirecTV almost a year ago, but it never happened. It's a public access channel, it won't generate any income for DirecTV (as, they can't put it in a more expensive package), but it also won't cost much more than the cost to activate the feed.

I think they chose not to carry it myself, probably to see how the channel is going to do, and/or to save bandwidth. They'll probably throw it in when D14 is up.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#1029 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,735 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

I don't think they ever got to an agreement. The media said it was to be carried on DirecTV almost a year ago, but it never happened. It's a public access channel, it won't generate any income for DirecTV (as, they can't put it in a more expensive package), but it also won't cost much more than the cost to activate the feed.

I think they chose not to carry it myself, probably to see how the channel is going to do, and/or to save bandwidth. They'll probably throw it in when D14 is up.

You mean the costs to get the signal to D* as there is no charge to carry it, TPC offers it free of charge.

Yeah we will probably see it with D14.

#1030 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,104 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:51 PM

You mean the costs to get the signal to D* as there is no charge to carry it, TPC offers it free of charge.

I have a feeling we will see all the shopping channels in Hi Definition when d14 goes live too. Can you imagine the feedback that move would make? :lol:

#1031 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,805 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:04 PM

There's equipment and bandwidth costs to consider.

I have a feeling we will see all the shopping channels in Hi Definition when d14 goes live too. Can you imagine the feedback that move would make? :lol:

As long as they come in lumps with other requested/anticipated channels, I don't think many would care outside of the stray comments.

~Alan

#1032 ONLINE   thelucky1

thelucky1

Icon

• Registered
  • 905 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:24 PM

Wake me up when some new basic HD is actually coming to Directv.
A DIRECTV Customer since 1998 :)

#1033 OFFLINE   TomK

TomK

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:25 PM

Please, no Pentagon Channel. I get all the war movies I need now with TCM HD.

#1034 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

Please, no Pentagon Channel. I get all the war movies I need now with TCM HD.

The Pentagon channel isn't really for war movies, it is more meant for military personnel, both active and retired, and their families. They have some movies, but mostly they have news shows, variety shows, specifically geared to those in service. Also they have some sports, such as Boxing championships.

I have always been of the opinion that given the fact what our armed forces have done for our country, I have no problem this channel being put on the lineup, even if it means delaying of "my precious" BBC America in HD.

If this channel is launched in HD, you won't hear me complaining about "there should have been something else in that bandwidth slot" anyways, let me put it to you that way. I have never served, (I'd probably shoot myself in the foot) but I have a lot of respect for those who have, especially with the cards they have been dealt over the last 10 years.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#1035 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,735 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

You can stream it live here. They do have some good shows on.

http://www.pentagonchannel.mil/

#1036 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

You can stream it live here. They do have some good shows on.

http://www.pentagonchannel.mil/

Yeah that too.... it's easy to get outside of a TV carrier. Just like NASA TV is. I actually find the NASA TV stream of better quality than the SD channel on DirecTV.

I am the Stig.

#1037 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

same here..

#1038 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,536 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:56 PM

same here..

Maybe we can wake you guys up anon.

#1039 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:44 AM

same here..

Maybe we can wake you guys up anon.

I suspect we won't see more than a couple more new HD national channels in 2012....based on several factors.

Contract renewal timelines
Recent price hikes by some content providers
Added HD transmission bandwidth from the D14 satellite
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#1040 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 456 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:02 AM

same here..

Subscribe to this thread http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=174806 with email notification. Then you will be "woken up" when new HD arrives.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

Protected By... spam firewall...And...