Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#1041 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:06 AM

Any word on Direct getting the new Pac 12 channel?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1042 OFFLINE   djzack67

djzack67

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:04 PM

same here..

Ditto
Waiting for
BBCA HD

#1043 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:07 PM

Any word on Direct getting the new Pac 12 channel?

Not yet. See this thread on the ongoing discussion on PAC12.

http://www.dbstalk.c...d.php?p=3068120

Last word from DirecTV is that "they will have an announcement closer to the beginning of the school year", which would be the 3d week of August.

(Although the channel starts on August 15th, the first live sports isn't shown until week 4 of August).
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#1044 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:09 PM

Subscribe to this thread http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=174806 with email notification. Then you will be "woken up" when new HD arrives.

Yeah but that thread also wakes them up when PREMIUM and SPORTS HD arrive..... they only want to be woken up for BASIC HD. :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#1045 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:50 PM

I suspect we won't see more than a couple more new HD national channels in 2012....based on several factors.

Contract renewal timelines
Recent price hikes by some content providers
Added HD transmission bandwidth from the D14 satellite

Have DirecTV and / or Dishnetwork met the mandate of carry one carry all in all the local markets they carry yet?

If not that may be why they are being stingy adding HD channels right now.

Edited by TBoneit, 01 August 2012 - 01:14 PM.

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#1046 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:51 PM

they only want to be woken up for BASIC HD. :D

does anyone here not like relevant BASIC HD additions??? thats the real question..

#1047 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:02 PM

does anyone here not like relevant BASIC HD additions??? thats the real question..

Key word "relevant". That might be very personal.

Some people, for instance, might prefer EPIX more then e.g. BBC America. Everyone's definition of what is relevant to THEM, is different.

I am the Stig.

#1048 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:05 PM

Have DirecTV and / or Dishnetwork met the mandate of carry one carry all in all the local markets they carry yet?

If not that me why they are being stingy adding HD channels right now.

They are working on it, locals are almost launched weekly as it seems. I got 5 new HD channels just last week. (which made the locals count go from 11 to 16 in the Los Angeles DMA).

Launching locals is also quite different from launching CONUS channels. And CONUS HD is what people want, who cares that Los Angeles got 5 new basic HD, if they didn't get nuthin. :D

I am the Stig.

#1049 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,621 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:18 PM

Yeah but that thread also wakes them up when PREMIUM and SPORTS HD arrive..... they only want to be woken up for BASIC HD. :D

They can hit the snooze button.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1050 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:22 PM

Launching locals is also quite different from launching CONUS channels. And CONUS HD is what people want, who cares that Los Angeles got 5 new basic HD, if they didn't get nuthin. :D

I'm thinking what he was trying to get at was maybe getting all these locals launced before the deadline is taking up the time/material/money resources that may have otherwise been dedicated to launching national channels, and maybe that is why we aren't seeing as much movement on the national level right now.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#1051 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,621 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:24 PM

I'm thinking what he was trying to get at was maybe getting all these locals launced before the deadline is taking up the time/material/money resources that may have otherwise been dedicated to launching national channels, and maybe that is why we aren't seeing as much movement on the national level right now.

Now, now. You are talking actual resource management. I keep trying to bring that up into the conversation and it gets ignored. Well, I won't ignore yours. It is a pretty decent theory overall and could have been a big reason why TCM was in "test" so long.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#1052 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:34 PM

It's very possible. Although I would imagine that putting up 1 CONUS feed is just about as much work as putting up 1 Spot Beam feed, and they seem to set those up with 6 or 7 at a time and launching them. :D

But you are right that it might be a higher priority right now.

I am the Stig.

#1053 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Maybe they have all the money and resources that get used to launch channels dedicated to getting the locals up and running that they have to have up by a certain date, and the few CONUS channels that they are ready to launch have been put on the back burner because all of the resources are tied up elsewhere.

For example they could dedicate the time/money/resources to work on launching the Epix Channels now, and make a few more people happy, maybe make some money off them, but by doing so maybe that means they don't get 4 local channels launched by the deadline and they end up getting fines for not having them up that exceed the additional revenue brought in by EPIX. That wouldn't be a good business decision.

Any yeah, maybe TCM was in test so long becuase the people working on launching it got repurposed to launching the locals in LA. Then they might have had some down time waiting on a piece of equipment or something to get the LA locals done so they want back to TCM for a bit and got it launched, then went back to working on the LA channels.

Stuff like that happens all the time, at least it does in my job as a design engineer. I've been working on projects for months and had them to where they were a couple of days away from completion only to be pulled away to work on another project to get it done before a deadline. Then when I hit a point where I was waiting on information from a supplier for the second job I went back and finished the initial project. Could be what happened with TCM.

I'm wondering if that's what's going on with the other channels that have supposedly been up in test mode since April or so.
http://www.dbstalk.c...3&postcount=307
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#1054 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:49 PM

Key word "relevant". That might be very personal.

Some people, for instance, might prefer EPIX more then e.g. BBC America. Everyone's definition of what is relevant to THEM, is different.

you get points for reading between the lines!! yes RELEVANT!!

I dont think anyone in this entire site will ever agree that Shorts was a relevant addition..

Epix & BBC yes even DIY even BET when it was added b4 the last bird flew ...very relevant!!!

Shopping Channels ...not very...

#1055 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:49 PM

Wake me up when some new basic HD is actually coming to Directv.

I anticipate HDs with Time Warner Cable SportsNet and Time Warner Cable Deportes and Comcast SportsNet Houston. Add to that Pac-12 Network. All are brand-new launches.

For basics, which are mostly assigned to the channel ranges of the 200s and 300s, I think it's so stifling at DirecTV that I'm not encouraged. Crumbs being sprinkled over the last year (AMC HD, in September 2011; truTV HD, March 2012; E! Entertainment Television HD, April 2012; Turner Classic Movies HD, July 2012) lead me to believe that anything more will be of such narrow scope it would be silly to get very excited. And yet, there's a long list of Missing Basics.

Nationally in HD; Merely SD on DirecTV…

204 Headline News HD
230 DIY Network HD
232 Cooking Channel HD
233 GSN HD
235 Style Network HD
238 Reelz Channel HD
240 Home Shopping Network HD
251 Oxygen HD
253 Lifetime Movie Network HD
260 We TV HD
264 BBC America HD
271 H2 HD
273 TV Guide Network HD
274 Ovation HD
275 QVC HD
279 Oprah Winfrey Network HD
283 Nat Geo Wild HD
285 Investigation Discovery HD
289 Disney Junior HD
294 The Hub HD
295 PBS Kids Sprout HD
301 Nick Jr. HD
304 TV Land HD
313 Jewelry Television HD
328 TV One HD
333 MTV 2 HD
338 gmc HD
339 Fuse HD
345 RFD-TV HD
346 NASA TV HD
350 C-Span HD
351 C-Span 2 HD
353 Bloomberg Television HD
369 Daystar HD
370 EWTN HD
371 The Church Channel HD
372 TBN HD
374 BYU Television HD

404 Galavision HD
559 IFC HD
605 Sportsman Channel HD
606 Outdoor Channel HD

None of this addresses a national Ion Television or the contractual agreement DirecTV has to bring in more screens of Encore. And none of this saying how many, if any, "basics" would come in before the next satellite, D14, gets its launch in 2014. (One may consider it wise to limit the potential number.)

#1056 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,621 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:54 PM

you get points for reading between the lines!! yes RELEVANT!!

I dont think anyone in this entire site will ever agree that Shorts was a relevant addition..

Epix & BBC yes even DIY even BET when it was added b4 the last bird flew ...very relevant!!!

I find DIY extremely unrelevant personally. Still, eye of the beholder. I like Shorts. The problem with it is the lack of guide data. I don't watch it to stick around to find what is on but if I knew what was on, I would record a lot of stuff. There is a ton of Oscar nominated material that is terrific and it is on Shorts but I cannot find it easily. I have downloaded quite a bit from the On Demand stuff.

So, you are wrong, I consider Shorts relevant and DIY not. Thhhhppppt! :)

#1057 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,621 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:59 PM

For basics, which are mostly assigned to the channel ranges of the 200s and 300s, I think it's so stifling at DirecTV that I'm not encouraged. Crumbs being sprinkled over the last year (AMC HD, in September 2011; truTV HD, March 2012; E! Entertainment Television HD, April 2012; Turner Classic Movies HD, July 2012) lead me to believe that anything more will be of such narrow scope it would be silly to get very excited. And yet, there's a long list of Missing Basics.

As there is a long list of missing anything from any provider. Until HD is so normal that SD is a mere memory, you will not get full HD from anyone.

That list I cut out has a lot of pretty meaningless channels on it for a lot of people. That is not great for those who want them, but that is the way it is. Every provider is struggling with cost and bandwidth and making value judgements on what they provide. Not just DirecTV. Dish has made judgements on RSNs in New York and channels like AMC. Fios is pretty much stuck for bandwidth right now. Comcast is taking DOWN channels as we speak because of bandwidth (and not to add basic, but supposedly to add sports) and is missing a lot of stuff in areas where their systems are old.

Sure there are some providers who have a lot of stuff. But you think they will keep adding? It is unlikely with this economy and with the current technologies.

#1058 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:13 PM

Nationally in HD; Merely SD on DirecTV…

Do we REALLY have to post these kinds of lists like once a week? :mad:

I am the Stig.

#1059 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:21 PM

That is YOUR opinion.

First off, there is about 99.9% more DirecTV customers outside of this site. This site only represents a very small portion of customers, and a very specialized kind of customer at that.

Second, I really can't tell what is relevant to who. Shorts HD has some good stuff, I watched it a bit a few weeks ago. I like some of the World stuff, the international shorts they put up.

So why you might find that Shorts HD is not relevant, others might disagree with you. You are not, and I am not either, the decider on what is, and what isn't relevant.

Finally, something can also be relevant to DirecTV. Perhaps a channel like Shorts HD did not have a lot of demand, but it might have been cheap to get, and it boosted the HD channel count by 1.

But then, my opinion might just not be relevant. :D

I am the Stig.

#1060 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,621 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:24 PM

Do we REALLY have to post these kinds of lists like once a week? :mad:

If only...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...