Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#1061 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:59 PM

I guess i offended the loyal order of the sophisticato's in regards to shorts..I apologize for besmirching the sanctity of that wonderful channel. It truly is an asset to D*'s lineup..and worthy of not being the butt of jokes here on DBS...heh heh

heh heh

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1062 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:10 PM

Ugh, I cant stand Shorts HD. I'd much rather have DIY HD. It's like what HGTV used to be.

Part of the problem with Shorts HD is the generic program listings in the guide. How are you supposed to know what's on? Its a good candidate for HD video on demand only. At least on a VOD screen the titles would be populated more accurately. Then you wouldn't even be wasting any transponder bandwidth on a full time broadcast.

There has been VOD only channels before, we have some too I think, like the Anime Network for example. Comcast had FearNET VOD only long before it became a broadcast network (if it ever did, I don't know I moved out of their territory). I know a lot of providers have some WWE Wrestling on demand too that isn't a real linear broadcast channel. Shorts HD would fit this bill perfectly.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#1063 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:13 PM

APB101, I like your lists but you should be sending them to DirecTV as frequently as you post them here. WE know the deficiencies. Perhaps they don't... or else they wouldn't have so many deficiencies.

At least many reps plead ignorance as if they never even knew that channel had HD.

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#1064 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:39 PM

APB101, I like your lists but you should be sending them to DirecTV as frequently as you post them here. WE know the deficiencies. Perhaps they don't... or else they wouldn't have so many deficiencies.

At least many reps plead ignorance as if they never even knew that channel had HD.

Don't we have a static list that is kept up to date, so APB's lists are redundant. Not to mention annoying. ;)

Ah yes, it is the second post of this thread.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1065 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

I guess i offended the loyal order of the sophisticato's in regards to shorts..I apologize for besmirching the sanctity of that wonderful channel. It truly is an asset to D*'s lineup..and worthy of not being the butt of jokes here on DBS...heh heh

heh heh

No, you made a value judgement for others. That will always get swiped down around here. Even when I make them about AMC.:nono2:
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#1066 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:31 PM

Ugh, I cant stand Shorts HD. I'd much rather have DIY HD.

Let's have BOTH! :D

Yeah if I had to choose I would choose DIY Network also. But what is done, is done. They aren't going to just throw Shorts HD out, they probably signed a contract, so lets move on and anticipate the NEXT HD channel. :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#1067 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,208 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:59 PM

Yeah if I had to choose I would choose DIY Network also. But what is done, is done. They aren't going to just throw Shorts HD out, they probably signed a contract, so lets move on and anticipate the NEXT HD channel. :D

+1 on the BOTH!

But I'd prefer Shorts over X, Y or Z (whatever channel you, he, and she likes most)

Santi- The point is we all—rather, many of us— try to not knock channels we don't watch or even actively dislike. Makes for a friendlier barroom.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#1068 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 921 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:17 PM

If DirecTV would take away Shorts HD, to make room for "missing basic," I would appreciate it.

#1069 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 368 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:49 PM

you get points for reading between the lines!! yes RELEVANT!!

I dont think anyone in this entire site will ever agree that Shorts was a relevant addition..

Epix & BBC yes even DIY even BET when it was added b4 the last bird flew ...very relevant!!!

Shopping Channels ...not very...

I like Shorts, so yes it was a relevant addition for me. :D

#1070 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:09 PM

I anticipate HDs with Time Warner Cable SportsNet and Time Warner Cable Deportes and Comcast SportsNet Houston. Add to that Pac-12 Network. All are brand-new launches.

For basics, which are mostly assigned to the channel ranges of the 200s and 300s, I think it's so stifling at DirecTV that I'm not encouraged. Crumbs being sprinkled over the last year (AMC HD, in September 2011; truTV HD, March 2012; E! Entertainment Television HD, April 2012; Turner Classic Movies HD, July 2012) lead me to believe that anything more will be of such narrow scope it would be silly to get very excited. And yet, there's a long list of Missing Basics.

Nationally in HD; Merely SD on DirecTV…

List deleted to save space

None of this addresses a national Ion Television or the contractual agreement DirecTV has to bring in more screens of Encore. And none of this saying how many, if any, "basics" would come in before the next satellite, D14, gets its launch in 2014. (One may consider it wise to limit the potential number.)

We can already view these you posted. Why not add a network that is available in HD only? A sports network like MavTV. :)

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#1071 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:11 PM

If DirecTV would take away Shorts HD, to make room for "missing basic," I would appreciate it.

I think to a large extent Shorts HD was added to enhance the value of the HD Plus Pack. The package gets fairly mixed reviews here (among a group more interested in HD than the average customer) so Directv may be having trouble up-selling the HD Plus Pack.

I'm not sure that Shorts HD in and of itself would drive more people to add the pack, but upping the overall channel count couldn't hurt. Shorts HD was also probably pretty cheap to pick up.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#1072 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:12 PM

I don't care about DIY but, yes, have both. Eventually.

#1073 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 921 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

I think to a large extent Shorts HD was added to enhance the value of the HD Plus Pack.…

Supposing that's it. Perhaps FEARnet, in HD-Only, would have made for a better selection. But I'm not too confident with that.

#1074 OFFLINE   Bill Van

Bill Van

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, Va.

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:51 PM

DirecTV is offering free NFL Sunday Ticket to existing Sunday Ticket subscribers. There are a few requirements. To get all of the details head over to the Solid Signal Blog, TVPredictions.com or this Business Wire article: http://www.businessw...ICKET-Promotion

#1075 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:49 AM

Epix added to HD Extra pack along with IndiePlex and Retroplex HD maybe could enhance that package.

Shorts HD is just too hard to tell whats on. Fix the guide data and maybe we'd be in business.

I'm in the "more is merrier" camp too... just my opinion is if bandwidth was really super scarce and it came down to Shorts HD or something else... I'd pick that something else and say move Shorts to VOD only. At least on VOD you can tell what the programming is called and get better descriptions of it.

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#1076 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:24 AM

DirecTV is offering free NFL Sunday Ticket to existing Sunday Ticket subscribers. There are a few requirements. To get all of the details head over to the Solid Signal Blog, TVPredictions.com or this Business Wire article: http://www.businessw...ICKET-Promotion

Yep, all you need to do is sign up for their credit card and spend $750 on it. Nope.

#1077 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:31 AM

If DirecTV would take away TruTV in HD and replace it with BBC America HD, I would appreciate it too.

But it isn't going to happen. These things are done. Set in stone. Contracts are in effect. Besides, they have free transponders, why would they need to take away any channels?
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#1078 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 921 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:43 AM

Yep, all you need to do is sign up for their credit card and spend $750 on it. Nope.

My reaction to it as well.

#1079 OFFLINE   morgan79

morgan79

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:59 AM

if they would do away with TCM HD and add ID HD i would be happy too.. what a waste of bandwidth..:D

#1080 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:18 AM

As said, everyone has personal preferences. But lets be clear.... what is done is done, currently existing HD stations aren't going anywhere at least until their contract expires.

And the big list ABP101 keeps repeating over and over and over again... isn't going to happen either.

I think Q3 will remain sports. Maybe 1 basic HD.
Q4, maybe a basic HD, but since contracts are up for negotiation, I would think they probably don't want to use up transponders until they know where they stand with Discovery Communications and CBS.

I am the Stig.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...