Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#1081 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,579 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:27 AM

It's simply not all right to denigrate (look that up in your Funk and Wagnalls*! :D) channels you see no value in.

* Referencing the late Dan Rowan and Dick Martin....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1082 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:45 AM

if they would do away with TCM HD and add ID HD i would be happy too.. what a waste of bandwidth..:D

After all that's been said and done here about those, you do have a death wish, don't you? :lol:

#1083 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,048 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:00 AM

If DirecTV would take away Shorts HD, to make room for "missing basic," I would appreciate it.

If DirecTV would take away TruTV in HD and replace it with BBC America HD, I would appreciate it too.

But it isn't going to happen. These things are done. Set in stone. Contracts are in effect. Besides, they have free transponders, why would they need to take away any channels?

if they would do away with TCM HD and add ID HD i would be happy too.. what a waste of bandwidth..:D

This just proves what I have been saying for a long time. There are no "missing basics" that are going to be appreciated by the majority of customers. All of the "must have" basics are already in HD. What are left to be added, while extremely appealing to a small segment of the market, are, in fact, niche channels. None of the "missing" channels will be wanted by everyone.

Now, just get rid of E! and give me Universal Sports, and I will be happy :D

#1084 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:20 AM

It's simply not all right to denigrate (look that up in your Funk and Wagnalls*! :D) channels you see no value in.

* Referencing the late Dan Rowan and Dick Martin....

You are right. But that's not going to happen.....

....if BBC America goes HD, you will hear the DIY, H2 and NatGeoWild fans stamping their feet. If DIY goes HD..... well, you get the idea. When something launches in HD, you will have people who like it, and people who won't like it much. You can't please everyone.

You can't even go to Dish anymore because of lack of AMC. :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#1085 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:21 AM

This just proves what I have been saying for a long time. There are no "missing basics" that are going to be appreciated by the majority of customers.

I'm not sure how quoting three people proves that. :confused:

All of the "must have" basics are already in HD. What are left to be added, while extremely appealing to a small segment of the market, are, in fact, niche channels. None of the "missing" channels will be wanted by everyone.

Very few, if any, channel(s) appeals to everyone.

I feel that the goal of any good provider is not only to offer the most popular channels, but to offer a good assortment of channels that appeals to multiple demographics.

~Alan

#1086 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:21 AM

Now, just get rid of E! and give me Universal Sports, and I will be happy :D

If Universal Sports ever goes HD, I will be VERY happy! :grin:
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#1087 ONLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,731 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:08 AM

If BBCA arrives in HD I will be very happy. I'll just have to ask, can DIY HD come to the party too? :-)

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#1088 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,080 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:21 AM

I don't think they ever got to an agreement. The media said it was to be carried on DirecTV almost a year ago, but it never happened. It's a public access channel, it won't generate any income for DirecTV (as, they can't put it in a more expensive package), but it also won't cost much more than the cost to activate the feed.

I think they chose not to carry it myself, probably to see how the channel is going to do, and/or to save bandwidth. They'll probably throw it in when D14 is up.

It's no big deal. Nothing is on it.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#1089 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 384 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:11 PM

If DirecTV would take away Shorts HD, to make room for "missing basic," I would appreciate it.

I agree. I know everyone has their preferences and you can't please all, but I would really like to know how Shorts HD stacks up as far as ratings(viewership) go.

#1090 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,579 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:46 PM

I agree. I know everyone has their preferences and you can't please all, but I would really like to know how Shorts HD stacks up as far as ratings(viewership) go.

I don't care if only the dozen or so folks in forum who've said they like it are the only audience; I like it! BTW, only a few guys here might know the answer, and they sure as hell won't say.

I could name several dozen channels- as we all can- that are worthless to me, perhaps even make some valid (to me) criticisms of them, etc. , but it just ain't right to critique other's choices on a semi public forum.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#1091 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,267 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:51 PM

Yes. Directv should dump Shorts. Obviously, it is the sole reason that they have not added a dozen or so channels. You know, for blocking all those channels, it really doesn't have that great a picture quality.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1092 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:09 PM

http://www.deadline....ler-doctor-who/

I want my BBCAHD on DirecTV in time for S7 of Doctor Who!

C'mon, D*! I pay you $200 month, don't force me to watch it on a 24" computer monitor (and pay extra for the privilege, or be a scofflaw) instead of a 65" one!
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#1093 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,695 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

And the big list ABP101 keeps repeating over and over and over again... isn't going to happen either

Maybe after D14?

#1094 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

Maybe after D14?

When will the D14 anticipation thread start?:)

#1095 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

Maybe after D14?

I doubt it. D14 will give us more bandwidth, yes. But they also need to start thinking of retiring some older satellites, and they may need part of that satellite to move some older satellite's stations on to at some point. They will probably also have a lot of other things in the pipeline, like new push-content for local commercials and what not.

D14 will provide more bandwidth, but don't think it is the Messiah of all things Basic HD, because besides the fact there probably won't be ROOM for all that STILL, they still have to negotiate contracts and what not, and they may launch more sports, premiums, and PPV.

I am the Stig.

#1096 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:18 PM

Yes. Directv should dump Shorts. Obviously, it is the sole reason that they have not added a dozen or so channels. You know, for blocking all those channels, it really doesn't have that great a picture quality.

If they really wanted to make the Extra Pack a money-maker, they'd put a couple of these (currently missing) basic HD in it while leaving the associated SD in the basic category.

Oh yes, I know there would be screams of pain and outrage. . .from some. Others of us would be happy to pay for the privilege *of getting what we want* at a reasonable price. And I bet D* would do better net-net on extra income from doing it than from the few who would actually quit in outrage (rather than the many who would claim they will, but won't).

At least as an interim solution, pre-D14.

Edited by Mike Bertelson, 02 August 2012 - 03:48 PM.
Mod Edit

LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#1097 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:06 PM

If they really wanted to make the Extra Pack a money-maker, they'd put a couple of these (currently missing) basic HD in it while leaving the associated SD in the basic category.

Oh yes, I know there would be screams of pain and outrage. . .from some. Others of us would be happy to pay for the privilege *of getting what we want* at a reasonable price. And I bet D* would do better net-net on extra income from doing it than from the few who would actually quit in outrage (rather than the many who would claim they will, but won't).

At least as an interim solution, pre-D14.

I don't directv to be like a crappy cable system where SD and HD do not have the same number.

Edited by Mike Bertelson, 02 August 2012 - 03:48 PM.
Mod edit

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#1098 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:49 PM

OK people, discuss the topic and not each other. Make your point without the personal comments or your post is gone.

:backtotop

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#1099 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:02 PM

I don't directv to be like a crappy cable system where SD and HD do not have the same number.

I do agree with that at a meta level. I just don't think that 2-4 channels out of a couple hundred, and hopefully on a relatively temporary basis (couple years, until D14 is up), is a more important consideration than having those channels available to those willing to pay extra for them.

I assume that any time D* can come up with the economic case, it improves our chances of actually getting what we want made available to us. So making suggestions that would provide added revenue, IMO, is a matter of my furthering my own self-interest.

Everything is a trade-off, even buying new 6-per encoders and infrastructure, vs expected added revenue (if any).

With smaller, intense fanbases (which certainly covers some channels like BBCAHD, DIYHD, and a few others), leveraging the "intense" part can provide extra revenue, and thus make it more likely we actually get access to what we want.

Also, my apologies to Tonyd79 if he saw the part of my post that Mike snipped, and agreed with Mike's assessment of it. I did not intend, nor understand, that snipped text to be aimed at him. I understood him to be commenting on unnamed others as a group (not specific individuals), and I was agreeing with him, not criticizing him.

#1100 OFFLINE   steinmeg

steinmeg

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

+1 & +2

spam firewall