Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Bonneville44

Bonneville44

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:06 PM

Wow. I think this was all I personally was waiting for. TCM-HD. :) What to do now.:grin:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:09 PM

Breaking news: Sixto says we're getting TCM HD!

http://www.dbstalk.c...262#post3046262

:heart:

This is in my Top 4 wants, so Hell to the Yes.

(the other three are BBCA, DIY, and H2. . .thanks for asking).
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#103 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

It was #2, requested by 45%. Only higher channel (66%) was BBCA.

Well, it might have been as low as 4th if that poll hadn't been purposefully crafted to keep AMC and HBO/Max off it (because D* knew they were coming, and it was a copy of D*'s own poll to some customers).

But damn solid nonetheless. Gotta be in curmudgeon mode to complain about this one (and, yet, some still will).
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#104 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,813 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

Well your list maybe not match completely, but I found 44 HD channels that D* has in SD but not HD per the D* channel lineup on Wikipedia, and I want them all. It's even well sourced so no need to say " that's just untrue user contributed BS", etc. like a few posts above. If I looked hard enough I could probably find another 10 or 20 too.

I counted via my list posted on the first page. Since I don't care about any of the sports channels, the list works for me!

Yeah... there's quite a few channels you have listed that are of zero interest to me (and I'm sure vice versa). ;)

~Alan

#105 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

Wow what a nice surprise today I see TCM HD in test thanks to Sixto's great detective work. That's the number 2 channel on the DBSTalk 2011 poll. http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=190308

Now they just need a few others from the poll and the top 10 will be satisfied.
1. BBC America HD
3. H2 HD
4. DIY HD
5. IFC HD
6. Nat Geo Wild HD
9. Cooking Channel HD
10. Headline News HD

Hopefully they are working on it.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#106 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,739 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

Wow what a nice surprise today I see TCM HD in test thanks to Sixto's great detective work. That's the number 2 channel on the DBSTalk 2011 poll. http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=190308

Now they just need a few others from the poll and the top 10 will be satisfied.
1. BBC America HD
3. H2 HD
4. DIY HD
5. IFC HD
6. Nat Geo Wild HD
9. Cooking Channel HD
10. Headline News HD

Hopefully they are working on it.

Give me those and Outdoor channel and I'll be happy.

#107 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:31 PM

Btw, the "1060" in Sixto's listing means it is another 6th channel? And right after the quarter change?

#108 OFFLINE   Karen

Karen

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 314 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

I would like to see TCM, DIY, CSPAN 3, FMC and Disney Jr. in HD! There are more, but those are the ones I would like to see the most. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Sixto is right and we will see TCM soon!

#109 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 390 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

Thanks Sixto for the news. Wonder if SR will have someting to say re: TCMHD. Glad to see that it looks like TCMHD is finally coming! Hopefully, a sign that more HD will follow. HLN,H2,FMC,DIY would also be welcome additions. BTW, TCM is now missing in the guide data of the Directv app on my android phone and iPad.

#110 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,178 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

Does TCMHD show anything in HD?

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#111 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

Not the US channel... :rolleyes:

Still... upconverted HD will look better than the current SD one, and we'll have it when TCM eventually adds HD!

~Alan

#112 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:30 PM

We have all of those channels.

For now ...
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#113 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

I would like to see Universal Sports before the start of the Vuelta a Espana (August 18). After that, the only things I care about that are not already HD are DIY, Cooking, and the Military Channel. Let's get one of those before another movie channel.

#114 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,566 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

One more closer to BBCA HD. :)
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#115 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

Yeah but some older movies that were shot on film have been remastered in HD. We saw The Ten Commandments remastered in HD on ABC back on Easter and it looked like it was shot in THX!

I own the Blu-ray... :eek2: If you think ABC's compressed 720p signal looked good, well... :lol:

Yeah, TCM airs a lot of older films that are available on Blu-ray, but has yet to show them in HD. TCM in France however shows movies in HD...

~Alan

#116 OFFLINE   erosroadie

erosroadie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:56 PM

Since we got no hints from SatelliteRacer.... I am wondering: Is he no longer allowed to supply public hints? (In fear that Swanni is going to walk with it and write up some article that HE, and HE alone found out about new HD?)

Speaking of Swanni... What happened to his HD Hotties? Haven't seen them for a while...:heybaby:

Edited by erosroadie, 02 July 2012 - 02:08 PM.

#117 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

Speaking of Swammi... What happened to his HD Hotties? Haven't seen them for a while...:heybaby:

He had a daughter...

~Alan

#118 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 832 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

glad to see TCM-HD .. the more HD the better!

being a news junkie id like to see 1or 2 world news channels added. my 4yr old daughter would love disney jr... but id be completely satisfied with H2 in HD :)

Do you know that with the addition of an international dish you can get mHZ Worldview for free, with almost any basic package? It's on channel 2183 and carries newscasts from Al Jazeera, France24, Euronews and others.

#119 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

Well....it depends on what you call "HD". If you only count media that has been recorded with a modern HD camera on 1920x1080 resolution, then... no, they won't have any HD. Or not much.

However, there are quite a few old movies that have been upconverted to a digital format with a digital style resolution for release to bluray and/or DVD, and those movies still give quite a stunning picture on an HD channel. The original 35mm film can't be described as having "a resolution" of any kind, as they are analog. A re-digitized version of an old movie is most likely saved in a higher resolution then your HDTV currently can even handle and from that a 1920x1080 version for BluRay is created for the market, which is no doubt the same resolution the movies are broadcast in over TCMHD.

However, there are also plenty of movies that aren't HD at all, and might exist in TCM's library in the form of DAT type tapes. These tapes contain version better then what SD transmits, but isn't technically HD. (Although in theory, everything with a resolution higher then 480p is considered to be HD) When you see these movies on TCMHD, you will ABSOLUTELY see a huge improvement, but for all intents and purposes..... they aren't quite the HD we usually talk about here. ;)

That said, my mother in-law already has TCMHD on cable, and it is quite impressive to see old movies on it.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#120 OFFLINE   erosroadie

erosroadie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:09 PM

Swami (real name Chris Berman) is still on ESPN, like he has been since it launched. Swanni (real name Phillip Swan) is an institutionalized mental patient and the owner/operator of TVPredictions.com and thinks we're all "DirecTV sympathizers" and/or DirecTV employees.

Anyways, Swanni wrote a blog about why he got rid of them though, saying they don't generate any revenue for him (meaning his site is a nothing but a secondary source of income for him; he is NOT a journalist [or affiliated with any news agency], or an insider).

Corrected. Thanks for the clarification...

So, sex doesn't sell?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...