Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#1341 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:02 AM

As much of a crime as it'd be missing David Tennant's run, I think he'd be mostly okay starting at season five.

Then again, aren't the Weeping Angels coming back in season seven? I'd definitely recommend watching at least "Blink" prior to then...

~Alan

I thought the later season of Tennant's run with the Master, where they tried to turn the Doctor into some sort of Christ-like savior of the planet went badly off course. I've only seen a couple of episodes with the newest doctor, but they look to be back to classic story lines.

Some Dr. Who episodes are also available for free on Amazon Prime. I've been watching Midsomer Murders on there too.

Let's hope BBCA does some marathons on series like Dr. Who, Being Human and White Chapel so we can catch up in HD.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1342 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,136 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:05 AM

You're famous once again:

give swanni credit. at least, now he attributes where he gets his material from. :lol:

#1343 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:05 AM

TWO Doctor changes... ;)

~Alan

I always forget about the 9th.... Generally, I only seem to remember David Tennant (10th Doctor) and Matt Smith (11th Doctor)
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#1344 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:10 AM

There is a scene in the trailer that leads me to think there is a culmination that has far more impact than if someone didn't watch before season five. Besides. Season five requires the earlier library and Angels shows to make any sense at all.

I have a friend who got tired of a couple of us at work getting all excited over episodes. We showed him Rose last Christmas. He devoured all the seasons on Netflix and started on torch wood. He wants to watch Sarah Jane next.

It is addictive.

I've seen pics of
Spoiler
, but otherwise, I haven't checked anything out since I haven't seen ANY of season six yet.

I don't think Sarah Jane is on Netflix, is it?

~Alan

Edited by Alan Gordon, 06 August 2012 - 03:54 PM.

#1345 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 907 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:18 AM

Very pleased about the announced augmentation of the HD channel lineup.

Moreover, HD LIL channels in our DMA are scheduled to appear sometime in 2012; if DirecTV ever adds H2 HD, I’ll finally be able to change my Comcast TV package and save some money.

…"if … ever"?

H2 will get added by DirecTV in HD.

It's a matter of when.

If we get, say, a limit of five basic-cable HD before the launch of D14, in 2014, I would estimate H2 HD would be one of those five additions.

#1346 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:20 AM

…"if … ever"?

H2 will get added by DirecTV in HD.

It's a matter of when.

If we get, say, a limit of five basic-cable HD before the launch of D14, in 2014, I would estimate H2 HD would be one of those five additions.

*Soon* :D

#1347 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,945 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

Many of the older Dr. Who episodes are available on Netflix.

#1348 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:25 AM

More than just those 2, but yes those channels coming very soon (less than 2 weeks if all goes well). D* will continue to add HD to the lineup moving forward.

Great job, DirecTV!

With BBC America, my core HD needs are met. There are a few more I would like in HD, the top 3 being:

H2.
DIY.
OWN. (My wife is addicted to this channel it seems).
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#1349 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:36 AM

If you count the Doctor Who classic episodes, there are a lot more than two switches!! :)

Indeed...

I thought the later season of Tennant's run with the Master, where they tried to turn the Doctor into some sort of Christ-like savior of the planet went badly off course. I've only seen a couple of episodes with the newest doctor, but they look to be back to classic story lines.

Some Dr. Who episodes are also available for free on Amazon Prime. I've been watching Midsomer Murders on there too.

Let's hope BBCA does some marathons on series like Dr. Who, Being Human and White Chapel so we can catch up in HD.

I wasn't crazy about the last two Tennant specials, and there was obviously a couple of stinkers in the regular run, but overall, I was happy.

"Doctor Who" airs several times a day on BBCA, but I'm hoping for a marathon of season six since it (and the last Christmas special) are the only ones I haven't seen. Let's not forget that only seasons five, six, and four of the five Tennant specials were recorded in HD.

Ditto on "Being Human"... I have S1 and S2 on Blu-ray, but not S3, and I'd need to catch up on S4 as well.

I don't think "Whitechapel" is available in HD. iTunes has the first episode FREE on iTunes right now (as well as 1st episodes of "MI-5", "Cranford", Lark Rise To Candleford"), and they only have the series in SD.

I'd LOVE a "Luther" marathon, though... :grin: Hopefully one for "The Hour" as well...

Shame "Misfits" is on Logo... :(

I always forget about the 9th.... Generally, I only seem to remember David Tennant (10th Doctor) and Matt Smith (11th Doctor)

I only started watching with Eccleston, so I'll always remember him, but with him only being there for a season, and then Tennant and Smith's performances, I understand your reasoning...

~Alan

#1350 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

Great job, DirecTV!

With BBC America, my core HD needs are met. There are a few more I would like in HD, the top 3 being:

H2.
DIY.
OWN. (My wife is addicted to this channel it seems).

I'm with you on this. BBCA-HD was the last thing I was hoping for this year.

That said, I really would like to see Epix added soon as it would fill some gaps in my movie watching addiction! :)

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#1351 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,266 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

I've seen pics of * SPOILER *, but otherwise, I haven't checked anything out since I haven't seen ANY of season six yet.

I don't think Sarah Jane is on Netflix, is it?

~Alan

The trailer I saw was the official one on Facebook and did not reference your spoiler.

Sarah Jane is not streaming but they have all the DVDs.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1352 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:40 AM

Ditto on "Being Human"... I have S1 and S2 on Blu-ray, but not S3, and I'd need to catch up on S4 as well.

I don't think "Whitechapel" is available in HD. iTunes has the first episode FREE on iTunes right now (as well as 1st episodes of "MI-5", "Cranford", Lark Rise To Candleford"), and they only have the series in SD.

I'd LOVE a "Luther" marathon, though... :grin: Hopefully one for "The Hour" as well...

~Alan

Add a Primeval marathon to that list!

I had hoped that Primeval would stick around, it was so well done with very good actors. But I think the budget axe hit them all in the head, though there is a rumor it may skip a year and come back. Here's hoping!

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#1353 OFFLINE   ProgPic

ProgPic

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:43 AM

Thanks for all the Doctor Who responses. Looks like I've got some SERIOUS catching up to do. :eek2:

#1354 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:44 AM

Thanks for all the Doctor Who responses. Looks like I've got some SERIOUS catching up to do. :eek2:

Yup. Look out for BBC America Doctor Who marathons now that it is coming in HD. :D

I am the Stig.

#1355 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,266 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:45 AM

I have one word for you. Which will make sense if you start with Rose, the first episode from 2005.

Run!
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1356 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:50 AM

Run!

:lol:

I am the Stig.

#1357 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:51 AM

By the way.... as soon as BBCA hits HD, I am going to watch all the re-runs of Top Gear.

In GLO-RI-OUS HD! :D

I am the Stig.

#1358 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,136 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:00 AM

i received a facebook response from directv regarding the addition of either pac 12 network and or bein sports. katrina's response was she had no updates on either of those channels at this time.

#1359 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:01 AM

The trailer I saw was the official one on Facebook and did not reference your spoiler.

Sarah Jane is not streaming but they have all the DVDs.

Aah!

That explains it...

I hated when SyFy stopped airing them, and wished BBCA had picked it up...

Add a Primeval marathon to that list!

I had hoped that Primeval would stick around, it was so well done with very good actors. But I think the budget axe hit them all in the head, though there is a rumor it may skip a year and come back. Here's hoping!

Yeah... I'd love to catch up on that show as well...

I have one word for you. Which will make sense if you start with Rose, the first episode from 2005.

Run!

Another piece of good advice...

"Don't Blink.
Blink and you're dead.
Don't turn your back.
Don't look away.
And don't Blink.
Good Luck.
" - The Doctor

"Blink" - Season 3/Episode 10

:D

~Alan

#1360 OFFLINE   slimoli

slimoli

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:02 AM

By the way.... as soon as BBCA hits HD, I am going to watch all the re-runs of Top Gear.

In GLO-RI-OUS HD! :D

I like Top Gear but that's all I want to watch on BBCA. Dr. Who is certainly not my cup of tea.
Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy.

My gear:
http://www.dbstalk.c...931#post2931931

spam firewall