Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:43 PM

Not the US channel... :rolleyes:

Still... upconverted HD will look better than the current SD one, and we'll have it when TCM eventually adds HD!

~Alan

Not if it is stretched. I rather watch blurry SD in its OAR than a clearer stretched image.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,631 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

Not if it is stretched. I rather watch blurry SD in its OAR than a clearer stretched image.

I was under the impression that unlike the other Turner HD channels, TCM-HD respects OAR?!?! :confused:

~Alan

#123 OFFLINE   TomK

TomK

Godfather

• Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

Breaking news: Sixto says we're getting TCM HD!

http://www.dbstalk.c...262#post3046262

YESSSSS! Thank you Directv! My HD needs are now totally satisfied. What a good day.

#124 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,100 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

I was under the impression that unlike the other Turner HD channels, TCM-HD respects OAR?!?! :confused:

~Alan

According to a forum I found (not sure how reliable it is but it seems pretty picky about this stuff), TCM "prides itself on airing films in their original format, uncut and commercial free." There was an admission that mistakes occasionally happen and that once they even put up a card apologizing for the format not being OAR as that was all that the studio had for that movie.

I am not worried about TCM and OAR.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#125 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,631 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:17 PM

According to a forum I found (not sure how reliable it is but it seems pretty picky about this stuff), TCM "prides itself on airing films in their original format, uncut and commercial free." There was an admission that mistakes occasionally happen and that once they even put up a card apologizing for the format not being OAR as that was all that the studio had for that movie.

I am not worried about TCM and OAR.

I knew that was the case about the SD channel, and I was pretty certain I heard they continued that commitment over to the HD channel. :)

~Alan

#126 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:17 PM

Quite frankly, I am really not bothered by OAR or no OAR. I will enjoy the movie just as much if pieces of it are cut off, and certainly will not refuse to watch a channel because they changed the formatting.

If you really are upset by such a thing.... well, buy the bluray or DVD, you will probably get exactly what you want.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#127 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,631 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

Quite frankly, I am really not bothered by OAR or no OAR. I will enjoy the movie just as much if pieces of it are cut off, and certainly will not refuse to watch a channel because they changed the formatting.

It depends on the film for me... but "S-T-R-E-T-C-H-O-V-I-S-I-O-N" (which is what we were talking about) is an automatic pass!

~Alan

#128 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,100 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:24 PM

If you really are upset by such a thing.... well, buy the bluray or DVD, you will probably get exactly what you want.

It does affect what I choose to watch. Pan and Scan does not bother me as much as stretch. Stretch I will *not* watch, unless I can unstretch it. (Hard to do with some of the crap TBS does with non-linear stretch.) Of course, on my TVs to unstretch an HD signal, I have to downgrade it back to SD, but it still looks pretty good since I am getting the HD bandwidth.

Wow. We are way off topic already.

Edit: Or what Alan said much quicker.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#129 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

It does affect what I choose to watch. Pan and Scan does not bother me as much as stretch. Stretch I will *not* watch, unless I can unstretch it.

Heh. I'm the opposite. I'll watch stretch before I'll watch Pan and Scan.

Anyway, sounds like neither with TCM, so yay.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#130 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,631 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:27 PM

Wow. We are way off topic already.

Technically, we are talking about a channel that we are anticipating receiving during the next couple of weeks.

I personally think we are more ON-TOPIC than usual! :lol:

:eek2:

I'd love to know the logic behind that...

~Alan

#131 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,100 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

Anyway, sounds like neither with TCM, so yay.

What? You would rather things made to not look like natural but don't like a limited view?

#132 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,029 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

Carrying the national feeds of ION allows DirecTV the ability to not have to carry all those local ION feeds.

As for original programming... didn't ION pick up the US rights to first run episodes of "Flashpoint"? Is that show still in production?!

ION also has some original films from time to time... particularly around the holidays.

~Alan

The new season of flashpoint starts latter this year or jan of next, can't remember which.

#133 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,029 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

Since I originally sat down (Jan 2010) and figured out what HD channels I would still much like to see added D* has added 2 (AMC, WGN America) and deleted 1 (G4). So arguably they have addressed 3 of 14 in 2.5 years. I would definitely appreciate the addition of TCM-HD.

My remaining HD desires (in no particular order):

BBC-A
IFC
Outdoor Channel
RFD-TV
TCM (!)
My 5 (Rochester, MN) LiLs

and for the Mrs:

QVC

Something tells me we will see all the shopping channels in Hi Definition after d14 goes live.

#134 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,631 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:58 PM

Yeah this version of this thread is non-stop action today. Sometimes they die for 2 or 3 days straight. Happy Festivus in July! :)

There's nothing like anticipation to jump start an anticipation thread! :D

~Alan

#135 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,029 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:07 PM

Well....it depends on what you call "HD". If you only count media that has been recorded with a modern HD camera on 1920x1080 resolution, then... no, they won't have any HD. Or not much.

However, there are quite a few old movies that have been upconverted to a digital format with a digital style resolution for release to bluray and/or DVD, and those movies still give quite a stunning picture on an HD channel. The original 35mm film can't be described as having "a resolution" of any kind, as they are analog. A re-digitized version of an old movie is most likely saved in a higher resolution then your HDTV currently can even handle and from that a 1920x1080 version for BluRay is created for the market, which is no doubt the same resolution the movies are broadcast in over TCMHD.

However, there are also plenty of movies that aren't HD at all, and might exist in TCM's library in the form of DAT type tapes. These tapes contain version better then what SD transmits, but isn't technically HD. (Although in theory, everything with a resolution higher then 480p is considered to be HD) When you see these movies on TCMHD, you will ABSOLUTELY see a huge improvement, but for all intents and purposes..... they aren't quite the HD we usually talk about here. ;)

That said, my mother in-law already has TCMHD on cable, and it is quite impressive to see old movies on it.

Actually, going from film to any digital format is down converting, not up converting. (your pat gave me the impression you where stating otherwise) Film is better than any hd format out there, even 8k or whatever it is... so it's really all a matter of when they last did a conversion in terms of how good it is going to look, and if it's going to be in Hi Definition or not.

But you are very right, it will still be better than an sd feed,since we all know an sd feed form DIRECTV doesn't really give us great pq.

I am happy for another Hi Definition channel, even if I almost never watch it. Great to see!

So, what's next after this else??? :)

#136 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:12 PM

What? You would rather things made to not look like natural but don't like a limited view?

Now, now. . .I didn't say I liked stretch. I just dislike it less than I dislike Pan and Scan.

Pan and Scan adds "camera motion" to a scene that didn't have it. To me that's a worse violation of the directors intent than stretch.

YMMV.

And once again, really ANTICIPATING TCM, and none of either technique!
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#137 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:12 PM

I did notice something interesting on my iPhone app.

I have "hide SD duplicates" enabled, and about 2 weeks ago, the last time I used the app, I remember browsing TCM, and it appeared - as there was nothing to duplicate - in the guide as an SD channel. Today, it is *completely* gone. Only when I disable "hide SD duplicates" does it come back. This tells me.... the guide is probably already being fed data for 256 in HD, but it just isn't showing yet.

Now, would this be a new way to find out about upcoming HD? Just browse the channels, and if you notice a SD channel missing.... ring the alarm bell? :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#138 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

I am happy for another Hi Definition channel, even if I almost never watch it. Great to see!

Well, I don't watch it either. . . but I will start once it is no longer the fugly piece of dog mess that shows up on my TV today! They do have content I'd like to watch, that's for sure. Yes, I tried to watch it, and my eyes, they burned.

#139 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

I have "hide SD duplicates" enabled, and about 2 weeks ago, the last time I used the app, I remember browsing TCM, and it appeared - as there was nothing to duplicate - in the guide as an SD channel. Today, it is *completely* gone. Only when I disable "hide SD duplicates" does it come back. This tells me.... the guide is probably already being fed data for 256 in HD, but it just isn't showing yet.

Now, would this be a new way to find out about upcoming HD? Just browse the channels, and if you notice a SD channel missing.... ring the alarm bell? :D

Oh yeah, that's been noted several times on previous adds.

The best news is, that means this is very unlikely to be a false alarm and they're just fooling around and we're not really getting it in the nearish future.

#140 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,631 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:20 PM

Yeah... I mentioned something similar below (I left out the part about SD channels being hidden). Tribune is feeding guide data to *256 as well as 256, and everything's being set up in anticipation for launch.

Channels have been known to show up in the iOS/Android apps as well as the DirecTV.com guide prior to launch multiple times in the past. They don't always show up there the same day it's listed as being in testing though... :lol:

If one has a stand-alone Series 2 TiVo set-up for DirecTV, additions have been known from time to time to show up in the guide prior to launch as well.

My Android app is not showing TCM (other than the onDemand channel), but my iPad app is... :)

~Alan

spam firewall