Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#1381 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:10 PM

There is all sorts of reality TV.

There is the variety Jersey Shore, Survivor, the Khardassians (or however you spell that) which really is mostly scripted and pre-thought of, they are just letting scenarios play out. Or something is going to happen in real life, and they built a script around it.

There is things like Pawn Stars, which is partly scripted (things like "I can race better than you", followed by a race at a local kart hall), and partly because of people that participate in the show by just being there/showing up. But obviously that is also partly scripted, that is.... the items get chosen, the people must want to participate, etc.

Then there is the American Idol type variety, which has a lot of user interaction, such as voting. Other types are purely judge only, or only have a voting round in the final.

Then there is COPS. I'd call this one a true reality show, as it follows cops as they are doing their rounds, and nothing is scripted. Faces of suspects are often blurred out ,etc.

Shows like Mythbusters are in a category of their own, but I would not actually call that reality TV at all, it is merely just a entertainment show with a scientific approach where they test theories and myths.

But I think this is probably best discussed in TV Shows in a separate thread, not here. Let's just close with that everyone's perception of what is "reality" is different.

I have about five reality types:

CRAP: "Keeping Up With The Kardashians", "Teen Mom", etc...

COMPETITIVE: "American Idol", "Survivor", "Big Brother", "The X-Factor", "The Amazing Race", "Dancing With The Stars", "The Voice", "Duets", etc...

GAME SHOWS: "Wheel Of Fortune", "Jeopardy", etc...

GENERAL: "Pawn Stars", "Swamp People", etc.

DOCUMENTARIES/EDUCATIONAL/HOW-TO: ..................

A few could be in a class their own, but I try and keep it to five.

~Alan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1382 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:12 PM

Meh, after watching the season premiere of Warehouse 13 in "HD" the SD for Alphas wasn't so bad.

I won't ask...

I watched both in HD.

~Alan

#1383 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

So.... any guesses as to when BBCA and NatGeoWild will go live?

How about a test this Wednesday and then live next Wednesday? :)

And.... what will be the HD coming after that?

Also, do you think we will see these additions as 6th HD on transponders?
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#1384 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:24 PM

How about a test this Wednesday and then live next Wednesday? :)

GUESS: 50%/50% :D I'm hoping for that anyway... and it would be in time for "Copper"...

And.... what will be the HD coming after that?

GUESS: I'm still hoping for TV Land HD, but who knows, maybe it's Fox Movie Channel HD or something.

Also, do you think we will see these additions as 6th HD on transponders?

GUESS: I'm going to say yeah... :)

~Alan

#1385 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,701 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:33 PM

I won't ask...

I watched both in HD.

~Alan

You didn't see how bad the opener of W13 was and how bad the sound was? Second episode was much better.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1386 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:42 PM

Thanks for all the Doctor Who responses. Looks like I've got some SERIOUS catching up to do. :eek2:

Just to clarify a few details for you in advance:

1. When a new actor portrays the Doctor it isn't a "switch" or a "change" - it is a "regeneration".

2. He doesn't have "assistants", he has "companions".

:) OK - enough Who-ligan nerdishness. Back to the (mostly unregulated) topic of this thread....

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#1387 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:46 PM

Outstanding to see BBCA-HD added to the lineup! Closing in on my Jan 2010 list of HD channels I hoped to see added:

AMC-HD - check
WGN America - check
TCM-HD - check
BBC America HD - check
G4 HD - <handled>

Still missing in HD:
IFC
The Outdoor Channel
RFD-TV
QVC
My 5 Rochester, MN LiLs

5 out of 14 - a third of the way there....keep going!

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#1388 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:58 PM

You didn't see how bad the opener of W13 was and how bad the sound was? Second episode was much better.

Oh WOW!! I can't believe I forgot about how terrible the sound was... :sure:

I don't know if it was Syfy or DirecTV, but there were some MAJOR technical difficulties that night... :eek2:

~Alan

#1389 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,701 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:02 PM

Oh WOW!! I can't believe I forgot about how terrible the sound was... :sure:

I don't know if it was Syfy or DirecTV, but there were some MAJOR technical difficulties that night... :eek2:

~Alan

It was syfy. Folks on TiVo community with other systems were complaining.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#1390 OFFLINE   wmb

wmb

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

No need to get the super old stuff, you can get going right from the 2005 series and onwards.

No REAL need, but knowing the back story of the Master, Daleks and other villains would be nice. The Tom Baker seasons would be useful.

#1391 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:06 PM

Just to clarify a few details for you in advance:

1. When a new actor portrays the Doctor it isn't a "switch" or a "change" - it is a "regeneration".

2. He doesn't have "assistants", he has "companions".

:) OK - enough Who-ligan nerdishness. Back to the (mostly unregulated) topic of this thread....

1. When The Doctor changes, it's a regeneration. When the actor changes, it doesn't really matter what it's called!

2. I'm VERY ashamed... as you are correct. I went back and edited my post to show the correct term. Thank you! :grin:

Outstanding to see BBCA-HD added to the lineup! Closing in on my Jan 2010 list of HD channels I hoped to see added:

AMC-HD - check
WGN America - check
TCM-HD - check
BBC America HD - check
G4 HD - <handled>

Still missing in HD:
IFC
The Outdoor Channel
RFD-TV
QVC
My 5 Rochester, MN LiLs

5 out of 14 - a third of the way there....keep going!

I don't know if you'll be getting all 5, but at least you'll be getting SOME Rochester, MN LiLs this year as well! :)

Congratulations!

I may wish the HD lineup of my locals was a little more complete and as good as it was those first few months, but as I prepare to celebrate my two year anniversary of having locals this week, I'm at least happy for what I have, and remember the joy and excitement of getting them very well. :)

~Alan

#1392 OFFLINE   jjeeffff

jjeeffff

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:21 PM

Wow! I was away all weekend and checked the forum after work today and saw the great news about BBCA and NGW. Now if we can just add HLN Cooking channel, DIY, and HUB HD my household will be 100% HD! :)

#1393 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 446 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:34 PM

Wow! I was away all weekend and checked the forum after work today and saw the great news about BBCA and NGW. Now if we can just add HLN Cooking channel, DIY, and HUB HD my household will be 100% HD! :)

Agree, would also like to see LMN,HLN,FMC and more Encore Movie Channels in HD. BTW, how many Encore channels are available in HD, and does anyone think they'll be added anytime soon?

#1394 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:38 PM

BTW, how many Encore channels are available in HD, and does anyone think they'll be added anytime soon?

There are two (wait... is Encore West HD available? If so, then three). That's not counting the *plex channels.

No idea...

~Alan

#1395 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,701 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:44 PM

There are two (wait... is Encore West HD available? If so, then three). That's not counting the *plex channels.

No idea...

~Alan

I'd love the Plex channels. Good stuff on them. Either as basic or hd pack.

#1396 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,701 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:45 PM

Hub is interesting. They show a lot of old stuff with a partial zoom. No stretching but very top and bottom cut off with smaller borders on side. Batman looks pretty good. They seem to not cut off heads.

#1397 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:57 PM

No REAL need, but knowing the back story of the Master, Daleks and other villains would be nice. The Tom Baker seasons would be useful.

I HATED the older series (and a lot more people just started to hate me now as well) when I was a kid, so I started getting to know the villains when the newer series started.

I thought the new series wrote the stories with the Daleks in such a way where they were very easy to understand.

On the other hand, I felt The Master could have been a lot more interesting had I seen more of his story.

So... :whatdidid

~Alan

#1398 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 446 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:06 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but what are the Plex channels and who owns them? Are they available on Dish Network?

#1399 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,701 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but what are the Plex channels and who owns them? Are they available on Dish Network?

MoviePlex, IndiePlex and RetroPlex. Movie channels owned by starz!

Supposedly directv has rights to them now per a press release a while back.

Retro and Indie are available in HD.

Dish does have them. Fios (where I see them) has only SD.

#1400 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:17 PM

They're pretty far down my list.

Personally, I'm more looking for channels that has programming I have Series Links set up for (CW DNS, TV Land, BBCA, DIY, Cooking), and than programming that I watch from time to time in SD (LMN, Ion, etc.).

If the *plex channels are added, and they are in the HD Extra package, I'll tune in from time to time, but if they end up in Choice Ultimate or the Starz package, they won't mean a thing to me personally.

~Alan

Protected By... spam firewall...And...