Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#1421 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:05 AM

I thought the "classic" Doctor Who were too cheesy for words. . . everything I hated about low-budget British s-f. But some of the things they developed in those days have worked out well and become a strength now that they can do them at a quality level.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1422 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:21 AM

So where are all the Nat Geo Wild fans who can't wait for lions and tigers and bears in HD?
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#1423 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,906 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:23 AM

So where are all the Nat Geo Wild fans who can't wait for lions and tigers and bears in HD?

While not on my wish list I welcome Nat Geo Wild HD.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#1424 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,801 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:32 AM

I'll check it out now that its in HD. I still feel that HD brings viewers to the screen.

#1425 OFFLINE   ProgPic

ProgPic

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:42 AM

I just checked out the listings for the next 2 days, and it looks very similar to the programming that Animal Planet had before all the 'reality' shows took over. With a 7-year old in the house, I can predict that this will quickly become one of our go-to channels. I'm definitely looking forward to it!

#1426 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:45 AM

I just checked out the listings for the next 2 days, and it looks very similar to the programming that Animal Planet had before all the 'reality' shows took over. With a 7-year old in the house, I can predict that this will quickly become one of our go-to channels. I'm definitely looking forward to it!

It's the grand chase. A channel has great programming. Goes HD. Builds a following. Shifts to reality shows. Makes spinoff channel with original programming. Goes HD. Builds a following....
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1427 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:16 AM

BBCA has disappeared from the Android app.

Ditto for Ion East.

~Alan

ION ???? wow THAT would be nice if they added that!! would it count as a national or a LIL?? wonder if it'd appear on my local channel slot in HD or on 305.

It'll wrap up the OLD school UHF Channels THAT DO BEAM IN HD (of importance) for the NYC area HD'ed by D*. There are 3 remaining UHF Channels but they themselves dont beam in HD..Including one major PBS station (WLIW-21) that only has 480p and 2 digital alternates. I keep asking them on Facebook WHEN? WHEN? WHEN?..However since our other MAIN PBS station here (WNET Channel 13) is already in HD...that station is only if you miss something on 13.

Wish I could send you good vibes Alan..I know how much you want the CW affiliate there in HD...I have it, though shame I dont watch anything on it...

Im really hoping for ION..

Edited by Santi360HD, 07 August 2012 - 07:32 AM.

#1428 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:33 AM

Go ask Charles on Facebook about Ion.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#1429 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:38 AM

Go ask Charles on Facebook about Ion.

I should !! he gave more optimism than others!!

#1430 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:13 AM

Great news about BBCA in HD. Now I won't need to get Doctor Who from an alternate source.

My local CW just went HD OTA and I'm wondering when DirecTV will provide it instead of the current SD version? Not a big deal as I have an AM21, but multiple sources is good.:)
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#1431 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:48 AM

ION ???? wow THAT would be nice if they added that!! would it count as a national or a LIL?? wonder if it'd appear on my local channel slot in HD or on 305.

While DirecTV remaps channels Ion East (#305) or Ion West (#347 ) to most local markets in which there is a local Ion affiliate on the local affiliate's channel number, New York City is one of the markets in which they actually carry the local affiliate, so no, I don't see you getting it mapped to the local channel number.

It'll count as a national channel...

Wish I could send you good vibes Alan..I know how much you want the CW affiliate there in HD...I have it, though shame I dont watch anything on it...

Actually, I want CW HD-DNS.

My local CW is SD only until next year, and I don't know what time next year. It could be early, could be Summer, or it could be late, as I was not given a time-table other than 2013.

Given that my market is #150, and DirecTV has yet to offer ABC in HD here after the local affiliation started last year, I'm skeptical I'll receive the local feed in HD, but I'll continue to hold out hope.

Im really hoping for ION..

Since you have a local Ion affiliate, can you receive channel #305?

~Alan

#1432 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:55 AM

AAH!!

I'm SO EXCITED!!!

Posted Image

~Alan

#1433 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 375 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:57 AM

BBCA has disappeared from the Android app.

Ditto for Ion East.

~Alan

I would LOVE it if they added ION HD so I could watch the final season of Flashpoint in HD!

#1434 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,177 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:00 AM

AAH!!

I'm SO EXCITED!!!

Posted Image

~Alan

i got the same thing. but no hd match for top gear yet!

#1435 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:01 AM

I've seen the first couple of seasons of Sarah Jane. It's a fun show, but definitely written for the younger, tween audience. It was sad to hear that Elizabeth Sladen had died. She'd also done a pilot for a spin-off in the 80s with her and K-9 solving mysteries. It's rare, but if you look in the right places you can find it.

As for Doctor Who, along with the Blink episode, the gas mask episode ("are you my mummie?") is a classic. Scary good stuff from season 1.

"Doctor Who" is a BIG family show in the UK.

"The Sarah Jane Adventures" was a spin-off aimed at kids, and "Torchwood" was a spin-off aimed at adults.

A good mix...

I agree... I was very sad to hear about Sladen's passing...

I thought the "classic" Doctor Who were too cheesy for words. . . everything I hated about low-budget British s-f. But some of the things they developed in those days have worked out well and become a strength now that they can do them at a quality level.

I LOVED "Blakes 7" when I was little. It was appointment viewing... "'Blakes 7' at 11:00" was a common phrase for me back then.

DW was way too cheesy for my tastes back then. I wouldn't watch it.

~Alan

#1436 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:07 AM

AAH!!

I'm SO EXCITED!!!

~Alan

Keep calm and carry on.

It's only telly. :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#1437 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:07 AM

I would LOVE it if they added ION HD so I could watch the final season of Flashpoint in HD!

I've only seen the first two seasons, but with Ion HD, I might try and catch up.

I became a big fan of Enrico Colantoni while he was on "Veronica Mars." He also did an AMAZING job on "Person Of Interest" this past season.

i got the same thing. but no hd match for top gear yet!

It's a weird thing... Top Match doesn't have the HD tag, and if you click on the search result that does, you don't find any HD tags on any of the episodes.

Also weird is that apparently the channel isn't in testing yet, so the above is probably a glitch, especially considering the HD tags aren't usually added until the channel has been available for a while (think TruTV and E!), but still cool to see!

~Alan

#1438 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:13 AM

Keep calm and carry on.

It's only telly. :D

It's not just telly, it's the DOCTOR!!!!

#1439 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:17 AM

Ahem. BBCA is restarting Doctor Who with Rose on Wednesday, August 15. Would be cool (even though I own all the DVDs/BluRays).

#1440 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:20 AM

Just like this happened on the iPhone app with TCM channel 264 (BBC America) has disappeared. Since I have "hide SD duplicates" on, I can only assume that this is because it is going live as HD.

Nat Geo Wild, however, on channel 283, is still there. Could be that they haven't supplied guide data yet.

Ion on channel 305 has dissappered. However, 347 (Ion West) is still there, and I am pretty sure I receive that channel as part as my local line up on channel 30, which is also still there.

In short: iPhone App Sleuthing and Sherlock-Holmsing has only revealed channel 264 to go HD relatively soon, and sooner than the generally understood definition of soon below. :D

EDIT: After some more sleuthing and going forward to Thu 8/16, it would seem that channel 283 has disappeared as well.

In short again: 264 & 283 will go HD. Soon. :D

EDIT2: The "TV Everywhere" Guide seems to be the same data as the iPhone app, with currently channel 264 and 284 completely gone (or "hidden" because of SD duplicates hiding).

Edited by maartena, 07 August 2012 - 09:30 AM.

[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...