Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#1581 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 905 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:51 AM

ION used to show reruns of The Wonder Years. Wonder if they still do, or will again?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#1582 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:54 AM

The age of 2 to 4 is the most important in a child's development. Here they learn language, many motor-skills, and this is the age where they soak in the most from their parents. (e.g. if there is a broken family in this age, their emotional growth further down the line will be affected by it).

So.... under the guise of "teach them young", this is the perfect age for them to become HD snobs, they are going to want all the channels that cater to children and teens from 4 through 18 in HD now. :D :D

and they'll be future DBSTalk.com members in this forum in which I predict that D* will STILL not full-fill HD needs & wants..and the HD anticipation forums will be around for a LONG TIME !!

#1583 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,273 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:00 AM

Disney JR. at last check max beams in 720p and not 1080 anything!!
so does ION 720p only :( it'll be interesting to see how ION fits on the map...on 305 in HD and my local LIL also? ...

Yep, watching "*DSJRHD" test feed now and its 720p. Looks good though from what I can tell from animation programs.

Got *BBCAHD, *IONEHD, and *NGWHD locked in as well. Will report back on them when the nearest recordings I was able to schedule them on start so I can tune to them.

Still working on *BeINHD Sports. They're being a replacement for GOLTV HD makes digging them up from the hidden program guide data different I guess.

#1584 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:01 AM

Yep, watching "*DSJRHD" test feed now and its 720p. Looks good though from what I can tell from animation programs.

Got *BBCAHD, *IONEHD, and *NGWHD locked in as well.

Is Graham Norton HD? I know he is 16x9.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1585 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:02 AM

I guess it is the same as why anyone wants talking head channels (eg, HLN), Channels that primarily show pre 1953 movies (eg, TCM) channels that primarily show pre HD era television shows (eg, TV Land), channels that show nothing but reruns of programs that were not that good in the first place (eg, ION) or shopping channels (eg, QVC) in HD. Some people do not want to watch anything that is not in HD regardless of whether HD makes sense.

While I am no longer a fan of BBCA and I rarely watch NGW, I can agree that these are the best HD additions in a long time - far better choices than E!, TCM, AMC, or TruTV - based solely on their video content.

If it's worth watching, it deserves to be in HD.
And if it isn't worth watching, why bother?

PS - Cheers for BBCA-HD!
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#1586 OFFLINE   TravelFan1

TravelFan1

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:03 AM

I am a big Disney fan, go to Disney World twice a year, my daughter works there, BUT come on Disney Jr HD, you have to be kidding me. what does a 3 or 4 year old , know about HD.

I have a 2 1/2 girl. She clearly notices the difference when the Curious George episodes are more recent, and in HD, and the older ones, in SD. Using her own words, "george on entire screen" x "smaller, pale george" :)

I also think getting Disney JR in HD is to rub more salt on Dish Network, who doesn't carry most of the Disney/ESPN channels in HD, with the exception of ESPN, ESPN2, if my memory doesn't fail me.

Rip: Comcast: July 2005 - April 2009 & Dish Network: April 2009-July 2011
Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list:BBC World News, Fox Deportes HD, WatchEspn, FoxSports2Go

#1587 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:12 AM

He is on BBC. (The real one). I am going to presume that he will be in HD on BBC America as well.

Actually, I am pretty sure that I caught part of Graham Norton on BBCA at a family member who already has it in HD on TWC.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#1588 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:14 AM

He is on BBC. (The real one). I am going to presume that he will be in HD on BBC America as well.

Actually, I am pretty sure that I caught part of Graham Norton on BBCA at a family member who already has it in HD on TWC.

Good. I like the show but it is very murky to watch in SD. Too many vibrant colors for crappy SD. Didn't think of it until I was watching this morning.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#1589 ONLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 444 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:20 AM

People who have to watch Fox Movie Channel in SD have to be furious that Disney Jr goes HD, and they have to wait patiently for DTV.

#1590 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:21 AM

I love Graham Norton. As far as talk shows go, although there is a lot of focus on specifically British guests we may not know very well, the concept and setup of the show is so much better and more fun than e.g. Letterman or Leno.

For starters, they bring everyone out at once and let them mingle/contribute from the beginning instead of focusing on 1 guest at a time. There may be a "primary" guest sitting closest to Graham, but he talks to everyone at the same time.

And he does get many, many internationally well known guests, including many Americans that come to London to promote a movie or CD. Plus he breaches topics that, even with the bleep-outs, wouldn't even be allowed on the American talk shows.

Oh, and it is actually a "chat show" of course. :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#1591 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:25 AM

People who have to watch Fox Movie Channel in SD have to be furious that Disney Jr goes HD, and they have to wait patiently for DTV.

Who's making anyone watch any channel? [As in "have to"]

And of course, getting furious over anything TV related is a bit OTT, no?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#1592 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,273 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:26 AM

I'll check, but since I don't really watch BBCA, what show is Graham Norton starring on?

The nearest time I can tune to the BBCAHD test feed will be at 6:00 PM PDT at the start of the movie Slumdog Millionaire.

#1593 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:30 AM

Great news about the 5 HD additions! We're getting there. Not complaining by any means, but would still like to see H2, HLN, LMN, FMC etc. in HD.

#1594 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:30 AM

Bah. There is always going to be someone that is going to be "furious" about a certain addition that isn't THEIR favorite channel. Overall, I think the selection is WELL rounded:

BBC America: Will attract fans of Science Fiction, Cars, and British Drama.
NatGeo Wild: Will attract fans of nature programs and animals.
IONHD: Will attract a wide variety of viewers interested in shows that are being syndicated off from main networks.
Disney JR: Will attract families with young kids.
BeIN Sports: Will attract sports fans that like international soccer.

I'm sure there are going to be people that are going to say.... "but where is my favorite channel" and "this channel sucks, it should be used for MY favorit channel" and the likes.... but I think that this selection of channels can be described as a true FESTIVUS with something for everyone to enjoy.

Next wishes for me after this: H2 HD, DIY HD and OWN HD.

I am the Stig.

#1595 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:32 AM

I'll check, but since I don't really watch BBCA, what show is Graham Norton starring on?

The nearest time I can tune to the BBCAHD test feed will be at 6:00 PM PDT at the start of the movie Slumdog Millionaire.

The Graham Norton Show, oddly enough.

#1596 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:34 AM

Who's making anyone watch any channel? [As in "have to"]

And of course, getting furious over anything TV related is a bit OTT, no?

Plus we have no idea of the contracts between DirecTV and both Disney and Fox, and the requirements or lack of them as to what is offered to us in HD.

Marketing-wise, DirecTV is smart to make this move. Disney Jr. is an up and coming channel with rapid viewship growth. As the wise man once said, "It is easier to ride a horse in the direction that it is going."
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#1597 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:39 AM

"It is easier to ride a horse in the direction that it is going."

Then there certainly has been a lot of backward horse riding at D* for quite some time!!..:lol::lol:

Edited by Santi360HD, 08 August 2012 - 11:51 AM.

#1598 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

Bah. There is always going to be someone that is going to be "furious" about a certain addition that isn't THEIR favorite channel. Overall, I think the selection is WELL rounded:

BBC America: Will attract fans of Science Fiction, Cars, and British Drama.
NatGeo Wild: Will attract fans of nature programs and animals.
IONHD: Will attract a wide variety of viewers interested in shows that are being syndicated off from main networks.
Disney JR: Will attract families with young kids.
BeIN Sports: Will attract sports fans that like international soccer.

I'm sure there are going to be people that are going to say.... "but where is my favorite channel" and "this channel sucks, it should be used for MY favorit channel" and the likes.... but I think that this selection of channels can be described as a true FESTIVUS with something for everyone to enjoy.

Next wishes for me after this: H2 HD, DIY HD and OWN HD.

I agree with you totally.

#1599 OFFLINE   DViper2399

DViper2399

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:43 AM

Very Happy to see these new additions, still hoping for H2, & Cooking HD additions, H2 has been my #1 want for awhile now, holding out for the slim hope it gets added by mid-Sept

#1600 OFFLINE   skaman74

skaman74

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:51 AM

Yep, watching "*DSJRHD" test feed now and its 720p.

Just out of curiosity how are you watching the test feed?

rolltide

Protected By... spam firewall...And...