Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#1601 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 907 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:13 AM

People who have to watch Fox Movie Channel in SD have to be furious that Disney Jr goes HD, and they have to wait patiently for DTV.

I thought Disney Junior HD had a strong chance. And I made a list that can found here:
http://www.dbstalk.c...215#post2992215

Three of my listed top ten — BBC America HD, E! Entertainment Television HD, and Turner Classic Movies HD — will have been added following that 04.02.2012 date. (It was essentially an estimated priority list.)

One of the listees in the up-to-20 category — Nat Geo Wild HD — will have also become added.

And two selections from the backup — Disney Junior HD and Ion Television–East HD — will come in.

If we were to see up to as many as 20 more in HD — before the next satellite launch of D14 in 2014 — I would not really rate Fox Movie Channel HD having a strong chance. I know I listed in it up-to-20. But there are the brand-new sports launches that will likely take priority: Time Warner Cable SportsNet and Time Warner Cable Deportes, to name two, and there is concern with Pac-12 Network.

I'd anticipate the likes of, say, Cooking Channel HD, DIY Network HD, H2 HD, and Lifetime Movie Network HD well ahead. (I'd alse figure Investigation Discovery HD before FMC HD.) I would estimate that FMC's high def would get added after D14. (Though I wouldn't mind being wrong.)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1602 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:13 AM

Just out of curiosity how are you watching the test feed?

From what I understand, there is a currently present bug in HR34 equipment that allows people to see the feeds that are in test. Not sure how long this will last, they will probably eventually fix this bug.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#1603 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 543 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:16 AM

I looked at the website for ION and it appears that they broadcast pretty much nothing but repeats of old network crime shows.

Actually, *Ion has some really interesting movies on occasion along with some out of country series'. I have it on Comcast in Harrisburg and the PQ is pretty decent.

#1604 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,910 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:21 AM

Just out of curiosity how are you watching the test feed?

Difficult to say precisely how;

Other than the HR34 is a strange animal at times from the other receiver models.

As it many times lists the test feeds along with all the other authorized ones in upcoming program searches, which you can then set a recording for and bookmark it into QuickTune when the recording starts.

Watching the ION East HD test feed right now. Looks great, in 720p though.

#1605 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:23 AM

what show is Graham Norton starring on?

The Graham Norton Show. :D

http://www.bbcameric...am-norton-show/

Series 11 has just ended, so we won't see any new stuff till some time in October.

Generally, Graham Norton Show is divided in a "long" winter series, from October to early March or so, 20 episodes give or take, and a "short" summer series, from late April till July, usually 12 episodes.

Usually they are aired about 2 weeks after the original airing on BBC in England. They are re-packaged/edited here, but almost nothing is cut out or changed. Original air time is 44 minutes, so not much need.

There will be plenty of repeats if you want to catch a few shows.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#1606 OFFLINE   tardisdude

tardisdude

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

Is Graham Norton HD? I know he is 16x9.

All Graham Norton shows are HD, I used to have Dish Network with BBC America HD.

John

#1607 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,910 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:32 AM

The Graham Norton Show. :D

http://www.bbcameric...am-norton-show/

Series 11 has just ended, so we won't see any new stuff till some time in October.

Generally, Graham Norton Show is divided in a "long" winter series, from October to early March or so, 20 episodes give or take, and a "short" summer series, from late April till July, usually 12 episodes.

Usually they are aired about 2 weeks after the original airing on BBC in England. They are re-packaged/edited here, but almost nothing is cut out or changed. Original air time is 44 minutes, so not much need.

There will be plenty of repeats if you want to catch a few shows.

OK, well next showing list G.N. at 5:00 AM PDT tomorrow, so I'll check it. Assuming all goes well with the BBCAHD test feed appearing at 6:00 PM PDT this evening of course.

#1608 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 907 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

Actually, *Ion has some really interesting movies on occasion along with some out of country series'. I have it on Comcast in Harrisburg and the PQ is pretty decent.

Comcast is my area's top cable provider. And I've seen Detroit's Ion affiliate, WPXD (ch. 31), in HD. It looks plenty good. Also, I've seen the HD for BBC America, and that is not a problem.

Some of the other channels that really look good are ones people here may not care for. Ones like Style Network HD, Oxygen HD, and We TV HD. The home-shopping services of Home Shopping Network HD and QVC HD are sharp. The merchandise being sold looks great; hell, even the studio floors were vivid.

I think The Hub HD looked excellent, too, just to mention one for the kids (and it is part of Discovery!).

This is encouraging that DirecTV is gradually playing catch-up with basic-cable programming that needs to get carried in HD. But I would like for the company to really step it up and bring in a lot more of the basics — like H2 and TV Land — in high def.

#1609 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:39 AM

Well, when you toss in TCMHD, which has been available on D* for less than a month, this looks like a very well-rounded package of channels. . . a little something for almost every taste.

Looking forward to the next quarterly-budget package of encoder upgrades HD in Oct/Nov. :)
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#1610 OFFLINE   revm1m

revm1m

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:42 AM

The age of 2 to 4 is the most important in a child's development. Here they learn language, many motor-skills, and this is the age where they soak in the most from their parents. (e.g. if there is a broken family in this age, their emotional growth further down the line will be affected by it).

So.... under the guise of "teach them young", this is the perfect age for them to become HD snobs, they are going to want all the channels that cater to children and teens from 4 through 18 in HD now. :D :D

All I have to say WOW, you can't be serious. I still would rather get DIY HD than Disney Jr HD. But I always welcome more HD.

#1611 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:47 AM

Oh, sure, my wife and I would cheerfully trade out ION and Disney for H2 and DIY. No question. However, we're both very happy to have gotten TCM and BBCA. . . so, it's not like we're empty-handed this round.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#1612 OFFLINE   shoplifter

shoplifter

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:47 AM

I'm actually in complete agreement on DJRHD. With as much of it as I'll be forced to suffer though, I'm glad it's going to be in HD. :lol:

#1613 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 384 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:52 AM

They are in test.

If all works out, they will most likely go live next Wednesday, the 15th.

Just curious, which feed of Ion will be in HD? East and West? and will my local Ion station (ch.33) also be in HD?

#1614 OFFLINE   stevester23

stevester23

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:53 AM

All I have to say WOW, you can't be serious. I still would rather get DIY HD than Disney Jr HD. But I always welcome more HD.

Actually I dont think he was

#1615 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,910 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:55 AM

Just curious, which feed of Ion will be in HD? East and West? and will my local Ion station (ch.33) also be in HD?

ION East;

Not sure if it will map to your local channel though.

#1616 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

Well, when you toss in TCMHD, which has been available on D* for less than a month, this looks like a very well-rounded package of channels. . . a little something for almost every taste.

Looking forward to the next quarterly-budget package of encoder upgrades HD in Oct/Nov. :)

I pretty much agree with your assessment with the exception of Ion. They're broadcasting shows (Leverage, Cold Case, Criminal Minds, ect.) that are already in syndication on other channels.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#1617 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:04 PM

To complete the list for 2012:

New HD channels added this year:

- TruTV.
- E!
- TCM.
- BBC America.
- Nat Geo Wild.
- ION
- Disney Junior
- Bein Sport USA

Channels we have lost (or will lose) this year (based on assigned channel number in test):

- Gol TV (replaced by Bein Sport USA)

So in essence:

- 7 BASIC HD.
- 1 Sports HD replacing 1 Sports HD.

Not bad at all.

Many of us were saying that 2012 was the year for sports. Now this may still turn out to be true with TWC Sportsnet, PAC12, Comcast Houston, FS New Orleans looming around the corner..... but we can definitly say:

BASIC HD lovers have NOT been forgotten in 2012!

I am the Stig.

#1618 OFFLINE   Lucid504

Lucid504

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:06 PM

Anyone thats into pro wrestling should be happy with IONs addition in HD Since October 3rd WWE Main Event Debuts on the network

#1619 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,586 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:08 PM

Anyone thats into pro wrestling should be happy with IONs addition in HD Since October 3rd WWE Main Event Debuts on the network

Yawn. I already have Ion HD OTA via WPXD.

Wrestling is fake! I'd be way happier with HLN HD.

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#1620 OFFLINE   Lucid504

Lucid504

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:10 PM

Yawn. I already have Ion HD OTA via WPXD.

Wrestling is fake! I'd be way happier with HLN HD.

ok......you really didnt need to stick your nose in like that.....if you dont like something dont comment....

spam firewall