Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#1661 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:33 PM

Most people should be very impressed and satisfied with the 2012 additions, steady progress, certainly shows that they're listening and expanding.

After the initial burst of new HD when D12 first launched, things quickly started looking quite dire. Much of the capacity was dedicated to "push" channels and a big chunk of the additions were to the premium movie services. New HD is great, but it was mainly focused on a fairly particular segment of the customer base.

Then word followed that D14 would be launched even later than expected, making it appear that we'd have to wait even longer for lots more new HD. Adding in the noises Directv was making about challenging contract negotiations and the possibility of some channels getting dropped, things were really looking bad.

It was only recently that we began to get word of the new tech that would allow 6 channels per transponder, greatly expanding the capacity of D12. Now, the hope many of us had for D12 to really blow the doors off of HD upgrades may finally be coming true.

There's still the issue of managing the capacity for the next 18-24 months until D14 gets here and all the new sports programmers that want to get on board. But maybe, just maybe, there's room for everyone to get at least some of what they want in the next year or two - a few more premiums, more sports, more basics, etc, etc.

Edited by mreposter, 08 August 2012 - 03:41 PM.

.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1662 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:38 PM

Most people should be very impressed and satisfied with the 2012 additions, steady progress, certainly shows that they're listening and expanding.

Well, I definitely am. If we don't get another basic HD channel the rest of the year past those already in Test, I'll feel it was a pretty good year.

Having said that, with the 6-per encoders, and the apparent (so far) quarterly roll-out of that tech infrastructure, I'm certainly not excluding the possibility that more goodies could be forthcoming in 2012.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#1663 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,256 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:46 PM

After the initial burst of new HD when D12 first launched, things quickly started looking quite dire. Much of the capacity was dedicated to "push" channels and a big chunk of the additions were to the premium movie services. New HD is great, but it was mainly focused on a fairly particular segment of the customer base.

Then word followed that D14 would be launched even later than expected, making it appear that we'd have to wait even longer for lots more new HD. Adding in the noises Directv was making about challenging contract negotiations and the possibility of some channels getting dropped, things were really looking bad.

It was only recently that we began to get word of the new tech that would allow 6 channels per transponder, greatly expanding the capacity of D12. Now, the hope many of us had for D12 to really blow the doors off of HD upgrades may finally coming true.

There's still the issue of managing the capacity for the next 18-24 months until D14 gets here and all the new sports programmers that want to get on board. But maybe, just maybe, there's room for everyone to get at least some of what they want in the next year or two - a few more premiums, more sports, more basics, etc, etc.

You are/were focusing on the negative of each of those points. SR kept telling us HD would continue to grow. And it has. The complaints focused on the basic while directv became a giant in sports and premium hd. The growth continued. It was just focused.

Meanwhile rather than cheap on quality as Comcast and dish did, directv held its path and worked with tech improvements. They took a strong course to differentiate themselves as not just another service and the strategy has and will payoff for them and for us.

Some of us have been saying that. Reading the tea leaves differently. Saw them proceeding with caution without assuming all was lost. And we got bashed for it.

I know that the technology was the issue. Everyone should have. SR made it clear several times. The tech has improved. So they can now add more of the non-must-have channels.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1664 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,478 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:46 PM

CSPAN. Because we want our greedy, corrupt Elephants and Donkeys in full HD. :D

Absolutely!! ;) Reminds me that someone (Leno) did a piece on the wierd hairdos in Congress- mostly bad comb-overs, frizzies or pieces. Now that'd be a treat in HD.....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#1665 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:58 PM

I guess it is the same as why anyone wants talking head channels (eg, HLN), Channels that primarily show pre 1953 movies (eg, TCM) channels that primarily show pre HD era television shows (eg, TV Land), channels that show nothing but reruns of programs that were not that good in the first place (eg, ION) or shopping channels (eg, QVC) in HD. Some people do not want to watch anything that is not in HD regardless of whether HD makes sense.

While I am no longer a fan of BBCA and I rarely watch NGW, I can agree that these are the best HD additions in a long time - far better choices than E!, TCM, AMC, or TruTV - based solely on their video content.

While it's true that TCM (at this time) only shows upconverted content, the fact that they most shows pre-1953 has little to do with it. Some of the most amazing quality Blu-rays I own are from movies made prior to 1953.

Also, while I may not know the amount of content that TV Land shows in HD, a good majority of their programming is either available in HD, or is easily transferable to HD.

It all comes down to tastes. Personally, I feel that AMC, TCM, BBCA, and hopefully future additions of TV Land and DIY to be far superior additions to NGW, but that's just my personal tastes.

~Alan

#1666 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:00 PM

The only remaining channels I'd really like are news channels: CNN Headline News, C-SPAN, C-SPAN2 and NewsMix.

OK, maybe TVland, just because SD is so badly compressed.

Agree on Both C-SPAN's.

Would like to see CSPAN Three added also. Though I do believe it's only in SD currently.

Give me Bloomberg over HLN but either would be welcomed.
May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#1667 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,351 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:00 PM

While it's true that TCM (at this time) only shows upconverted content, the fact that they most shows pre-1953 has little to do with it. Some of the most amazing quality Blu-rays I own are from movies made prior to 1953.

Also, while I may not know the amount of content that TV Land shows in HD, a good majority of their programming is either available in HD, or is easily transferable to HD.

It all comes down to tastes. Personally, I feel that AMC, TCM, BBCA, and hopefully future additions of TV Land and DIY to be far superior additions to NGW, but that's just my personal tastes.

~Alan

You got three of your wishes, I got mine. Not bad :). Though, I will watch Top Gear (if they keep like they have recently and don't wait three years or so to air it)

#1668 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:02 PM

Disney JR. at last check max beams in 720p and not 1080 anything!!
so does ION 720p only :( it'll be interesting to see how ION fits on the map...on 305 in HD and my local LIL also?

Again, New York City has the ACTUAL local Ion available, so no, it shouldn't be in your LiL range.

Well if ION is being added, chances are good that I may see a DNS feed of CW HD someday...

From your fingers to DirecTV's eyes...

Is this really a big deal? I have a 1080p TV in the living room and a 720p TV in my office, and I really can't notice much of a difference. Now my eyes might be getting a little older of course....

In any case, a 720p picture looks just as great to me, really. ESPN is 720p too, and it looks pretty good.

There is a BIG difference between 720p and 1080i/p.

However, there is also a BIG difference between 480i and 720p, so Ion-HD will be welcomed here regardless of resolution. :)

Ion had an advantage over CW for directv and may be a reason they added it. They can pick up one channel and map it locally to the local number and everyone is happy. Makes it easier to get to there locals goal.

There are a TON of markets where DirecTV does the same with the CW DNS feeds. Without doing a count, I'd say there are a couple more markets with the CW DNS feeds than there are those with Ion mapped down to the local channels.

The difference is that EVERYONE gets Ion East, whereas not everyone gets the CW DNS feeds.

~Alan

#1669 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,106 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:13 PM

Agree on Both C-SPAN's.

Would like to see CSPAN Three added also. Though I do believe it's only in SD currently.

Give me Bloomberg over HLN but either would be welcomed.

No cspan3 is in hd!

#1670 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:15 PM

No cspan3 is in hd!

Good to Know. Thanks for the Info

Would like to see all three C-Spans added then along with Bloomberg.
May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#1671 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,940 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:18 PM

Some people like fake stuff! The had to use the name "Entertainment" in their WWE name, because that is what it is. It's an entertainment show, not a wrestling show. But people like it, there is a market for it.

There is also the issue of the World Wildlife Foundation's objection to the use of WWF for World Wrestling Federation.

#1672 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:20 PM

Just curious, which feed of Ion will be in HD? East and West? and will my local Ion station (ch.33) also be in HD?

Only the East Coast feed will be in HD, so no...

Just not sure about that. It is ASSUMED that because of the channel awarded to BeIN that GOL TV might be replaced. But I don't know what will happen to the 426 channel for GOL TV.

GolTV on 426 defaults to the Spanish audio track, and 620(?) defaults to English if memory serves. If it's kept at 426, I guess English speakers will need to switch audio tracks.

Personally, I'll be happy if GolTV is only on 426, because CIG works for 426 for me, but not 620, so that'll help a little bit...

~Alan

#1673 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:20 PM

There is a BIG difference between 720p and 1080i/p.

Mmm, at the risk of reigniting last millenium's hot topic. . . when did that happen? When TV's started automatically upconverting 1080i to 1080p at high refresh rates?

I've still been hanging on to the idea that 720p and 1080i are roughly equal with exceptions for particular suitability for some content types (like, fast moving stuff like sports is better on 720p). With "true" native 1080p still a very clear "cut above".

Edited by georule, 08 August 2012 - 04:30 PM.

LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#1674 OFFLINE   RML81

RML81

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:25 PM

I do wear glasses, so my eyes aren't the best, but I can't really tell the difference between 720 and 1080.

#1675 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:27 PM

This is a funny thread ... I really do chuckle at times ...

We want xxx, DirecTV sucks to not have xxx, man if they only had xxx.

xxx gets announced.

That is great, but we really need yyy, DirecTV sucks to not have yyy, man if only yyy was added instead of xxx.

yyy gets announced ...

That's great, but we really need ... :)

Yep!

While I may only care about two of the three channel additions in test, I find the results to be good news regardless. A good mix of channels so that most of us end up with at least one channel we'll enjoy.

You got three of your wishes, I got mine. Not bad :). Though, I will watch Top Gear (if they keep like they have recently and don't wait three years or so to air it)

Not just that, I get one of my Top #3 (BBCA) this month, and one of my Top #10 (Ion) this month as well.

Not fully sated, but I'm definitely pleased with the progress... :)

~Alan

#1676 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:28 PM

I've still been hanging on to the idea that 720p and 1080i are roughly equal with exceptions for particular suitability for some content types (like, fast moving stuff like sports is better on 720p).

Keep doing that... you'll be happier! ;)

As an aside, I have some ocean front property in Tennessee for sale. You interested?! ;)

~Alan

#1677 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:34 PM

Keep doing that... you'll be happier! ;)

As an aside, I have some ocean front property in Tennessee for sale. You interested?! ;)

~Alan

East Tennessee or West Tennessee?

Well, I've got a 60" TV, and I'm happy now, so maybe I don't want to know.

#1678 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,256 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:35 PM

There are a TON of markets where DirecTV does the same with the CW DNS feeds. Without doing a count, I'd say there are a couple more markets with the CW DNS feeds than there are those with Ion mapped down to the local channels.

The difference is that EVERYONE gets Ion East, whereas not everyone gets the CW DNS feeds.

~Alan

Exactly. The CW feeds are DNS. Ion would be DNS plus locals. And the areas without CW HD cover a lot fewer people than Ion HD. I live in a major market that doesnt have Ion at all. Good luck finding a major market without CW HD.

That is what I meant. Larger advantage. Directv gets a lot of local HD in this move.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#1679 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,256 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

Good to Know. Thanks for the Info

Would like to see all three C-Spans added then along with Bloomberg.

Bloomberg I can see. More graphics. But CSPAN? So you can watch a bunch of people not moving? No scenery. No nothing.

#1680 OFFLINE   electrober6

electrober6

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:43 PM

Turner Classic Movies HD, BBC America HD, and more soccer on beIn Sport HD....thank you Directv! :)

+1
HR24 500 DVR + Samsung LED 32" + AV Reciever Onkyo TX-NR609 (16 Years with Directv)

spam firewall