Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,432 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:32 AM

Cuz u said it depends on the servers. I just tried 3 different ISP's and it's still there.

I just cleared my phone's cache, cookies and history trail too (which doesn't make a difference anyway cuz it's an app not via Safari), and logged out then back in to my account on the app and it's still there. :confused:

Who says that the ISP is what determines what server you use? That could be a factor but so would be login ID, general geography, availability, a cookie (cookies are used for apps as well as safari, though clearing them probably requires removing the app and reinstalling). Since you are using an iDevice, that stuff is pretty well masked from the user.

Something is making some devices/users lose TCM SD on their iDevice and others not. Not sure we will figure out what it is.

BTW, just tried it on directv.com and when I hide SD duplicates, TCM disappears.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:41 AM

BTW, just tried it on directv.com and when I hide SD duplicates, TCM disappears.

seem like TCM HD may start real soon.

Now they may be slowly adding it to each package so that may be why some people have lost it but not all of them.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#163 OFFLINE   Xizer

Xizer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:34 AM

Why is DirecTV adding a "HD" channel which has never aired a single minute of high definition content? And why is everyone getting excited over a 24/7 upscale channel? This is a waste of space that could be utilized by a network that actually airs content in high definition.

TCM HD, in the U.S. at least, is probably the most useless "HD" channel out there as they seem to run everything through a standard definition encoder or something before running it to through the 1080i encoder and sending it out to cable companies.

Even if the film has a HD transfer available, TCM doesn't air it in HD.

The European feed of TCM HD on the other hand actually does air HD content.

#164 OFFLINE   Bonneville44

Bonneville44

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:48 AM

TCM "HD" will be a great addition for all old movie buffs. I had it on Dish and in "HD" it was WAY better than a fuzzy SD picture. Thanks Directv. I am very excited about this addition. Sure, I want more HD jsut as much as the next guy (I'm looking at you DIY), but this is the one I really gave up in switching. My TV is whole again.:)

#165 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,704 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:55 AM

So we got TruTv and now TCM, both Turner channels, I wonder if HLN will be next?

#166 OFFLINE   TomK

TomK

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:07 AM

So we got TruTv and now TCM, both Turner channels, I wonder if HLN will be next?

For the love of Robin Meade I hope so.

#167 OFFLINE   TomK

TomK

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:08 AM

TCM "HD" will be a great addition for all old movie buffs. I had it on Dish and in "HD" it was WAY better than a fuzzy SD picture. Thanks Directv. I am very excited about this addition. Sure, I want more HD jsut as much as the next guy (I'm looking at you DIY), but this is the one I really gave up in switching. My TV is whole again.:)

x1000

#168 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,432 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

Why is DirecTV adding a "HD" channel which has never aired a single minute of high definition content? And why is everyone getting excited over a 24/7 upscale channel? This is a waste of space that could be utilized by a network that actually airs content in high definition.

TCM HD, in the U.S. at least, is probably the most useless "HD" channel out there as they seem to run everything through a standard definition encoder or something before running it to through the 1080i encoder and sending it out to cable companies.

Even if the film has a HD transfer available, TCM doesn't air it in HD.

The European feed of TCM HD on the other hand actually does air HD content.

Welcome to DBS Talk.

To answer your question, what is HD anyway? If the PQ is good to great and the picture fills the screen on 16x9 content, then how do we know if they are using good upscales or HD transfers?

By all accounts, TCM HD looks great for those who have seen it on the systems it is on. I am looking forward to seeing much better PQ on TCM than I get now.

There is a lot of stuff that is not an HD transfer but is upscaled SD (at the source where good upscalers exist) that gives you DVD quality picture when transported on 1080i. You can get that with 480i but no one dedicates the bandwidth it takes to make the PQ truly good on cable/satellite. I have watched a lot of OTA that is full bandwidth 480i that looks excellent, so the HD bandwidth and standards will make TCM that much better.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#169 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,432 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:24 AM

Same here, was gone yesterday too. I don't know what to believe any more. Kind like when half of a product's reviews are good and half are bad, makes it pretty difficult to decide if it's any good/worth the money or not.

I believe it is coming and we are seeing caching issues with the update to the mobile guide data. When something is updated in a large network, it takes time for it to get everywhere. It does not happen right away. I see that issue just about every day at work.

#170 OFFLINE   Xizer

Xizer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:41 AM

To answer your question, what is HD anyway? If the PQ is good to great and the picture fills the screen on 16x9 content, then how do we know if they are using good upscales or HD transfers?

It's because I'm not blind.

It's obvious when something has HD detail and when it is upscaled crap. The problem with TCM is that HD transfers for many of their films have been made but they're still broadcasting them in standard definition. It makes no sense.

I've seen TCM HD on the systems it is on because I have Time Warner Cable. When I first saw TCM HD in the guide I thought it would be neat. When I actually tuned to the channel... wow, what a disappointment.

TCM HD does not qualify as "much better" picture. It is the SAME as TCM SD. There is no additional detail. You already have the equivalent of TCM HD. It's called TCM. Watch it on your HDTV and it will upscale it for you and it will look the same as TCM HD. My PC does a better job of upscaling than Turner's equipment.

The biggest problem with this is that it sets a bad precedent. Providers should be boycotting this channel until they start actually airing content in high definition. Right now it's false advertising to call the channel TCM HD.

If everyone pulled this **** at the start of the HD era nothing would be in native HD today. We'd all be dealing with 16:9 SD garbage like the Australians. The networks there realized that most people were incompetent and didn't notice the benefits of HD so as long as they made their signals "fill the screen" of everyone's HDTVs they could trick people into thinking they were watching HD. This is the same thing Turner is doing with TCM HD in the U.S. only they take it a step further and set it to output as 1080i instead of 576i 16:9 so they can claim to be "HD" since technically the resolution of the signal is higher than SD. 16:9 SD channels are abundant in Australia but you can count on one hand the number of native high definition channels down under.

I just don't understand how you can be happy with this. There is no excuse for this. Turner's catalog of films has many which have already had HD transfers made and this is evident because they actually air them in HD on the international TCM HD channel. It's now 3 years after TCM HD's launch in America and we're still getting the shaft for some reason. You're not getting this channel for free, a little bit more of your monthly bill to DirecTV now goes to Turner for their upscale channel and they sure as hell don't seem to be investing that money in some proper HD broadcasting equipment for the States. If all the hundreds of other HD networks no matter how small or obscure can afford the equipment for broadcasting their material in native HD I don't see why Turner gets to be the lone wolf here that everyone makes excuses for. If anything I'd expect fans of TCM to be more upset than I am that their channel is getting mismanaged this way but it seems to be the other way around.

#171 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,903 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

Welcome to DBS Talk.

Recognize him from dslr, too? This will be interesting. :lol:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#172 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,903 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

Did DirecTV know Andy Griffith was going to die? :eek2:

http://tvbythenumber...july-18/140390/

Turner Classic Movies (TCM) will remember the life and career of actor Andy Griffith on Wednesday, July 18. Griffith passed away this morning at the age of 86.

Posted Image
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#173 OFFLINE   Bonneville44

Bonneville44

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:03 AM

I am excited about TCM HD because it DOES look better than the current SD channel. Maybe its just the additional bandwidth dedicated to it. If so fine. All I want is it to look better and better it does look.:grin:

#174 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,432 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

It's because I'm not blind.

It's obvious when something has HD detail and when it is upscaled crap. The problem with TCM is that HD transfers for many of their films have been made but they're still broadcasting them in standard definition. It makes no sense.

I've seen TCM HD on the systems it is on because I have Time Warner Cable. When I first saw TCM HD in the guide I thought it would be neat. When I actually tuned to the channel... wow, what a disappointment.

TCM HD does not qualify as "much better" picture. It is the SAME as TCM SD. There is no additional detail. You already have the equivalent of TCM HD. It's called TCM. Watch it on your HDTV and it will upscale it for you and it will look the same as TCM HD. My PC does a better job of upscaling than Turner's equipment.

The biggest problem with this is that it sets a bad precedent. Providers should be boycotting this channel until they start actually airing content in high definition. Right now it's false advertising to call the channel TCM HD.

If everyone pulled this **** at the start of the HD era nothing would be in native HD today. We'd all be dealing with 16:9 SD garbage like the Australians. The networks there realized that most people were incompetent and didn't notice the benefits of HD so as long as they made their signals "fill the screen" of everyone's HDTVs they could trick people into thinking they were watching HD. This is the same thing Turner is doing with TCM HD in the U.S. only they take it a step further and set it to output as 1080i instead of 576i 16:9 so they can claim to be "HD" since technically the resolution of the signal is higher than SD. 16:9 SD channels are abundant in Australia but you can count on one hand the number of native high definition channels down under.

I just don't understand how you can be happy with this. There is no excuse for this. Turner's catalog of films has many which have already had HD transfers made and this is evident because they actually air them in HD on the international TCM HD channel. It's now 3 years after TCM HD's launch in America and we're still getting the shaft for some reason. You're not getting this channel for free, a little bit more of your monthly bill to DirecTV now goes to Turner for their upscale channel and they sure as hell don't seem to be investing that money in some proper HD broadcasting equipment for the States. If all the hundreds of other HD networks no matter how small or obscure can afford the equipment for broadcasting their material in native HD I don't see why Turner gets to be the lone wolf here that everyone makes excuses for. If anything I'd expect fans of TCM to be more upset than I am that their channel is getting mismanaged this way but it seems to be the other way around.

I guess we can expect rants from you in the future.

I have seen a lot of SD upscaled to HD and it is a lot better. Especially with DirecTV SD.

Rant all you want. I am very happy this is coming.

#175 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,432 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:07 AM

Recognize him from dslr, too? This will be interesting. :lol:

Unfortunately, yes.

#176 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:08 AM

I have seen a lot of SD upscaled to HD and it is a lot better. Especially with DirecTV SD.

Hate to be the party pooper, fly in the ointment, monkey wrench..
Was there any confirmation other than Sixto seeing it in test, that this is an actual definitive addition?

#177 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:18 AM

I guess you got here late. TCM SD is missing on the online guide and several people report not seeing the SD feed on their smartphone and tablet apps, both signs it's coming 'soon".

Thanks>>>I'm very happy to be wrong!!!

#178 OFFLINE   Xizer

Xizer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:20 AM

I accept your concession that I am 100% correct and that as such there is nothing more to argue about.

It's been fun. :)

#179 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:27 AM

I accept your concession that I am 100% correct and that as such there is nothing more to argue about.

It's been fun. :)

Guess since you're the NOOB with only 4 posts under your belt, you missed all the other debates had on this site on hd content added..mainly the addition of Shorts a few months back..Theres a new channel airing new stuff that nobody cares about in stretchovision..Have to give you some props, I have Time Warner and D* in my bar..And TCM-HD isn't rendered that great. It'll be interesting to see how it resonates on D* I'm sure any change from an SD channel is a plus..I hope..

#180 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:30 AM

TCM HD is official, it made Swanni. :lol:

http://www.tvpredict...m/dbs070312.htm

He still thinks we're all D* employees and insiders. That man needs some meds for these delusions.

Least he cannot quote SR...if it wasnt on the Sixto report we'd of never known till it lit up. Swanni can contact me personally I AM NOT AN EMPLOYEE OF D*

I am a I/T Tech for Thomson/Reuters with a partnered ownership in a Bar/Restuarant in NYC..Contact me Phillip and educate yourself...

spam firewall