Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#1841 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:17 AM

I would like to suggest we take the 720p vs 1080i discussion to its own topic. It's not really related to DirecTV, nor HD channel anticipation, and completely depends on how the channel in question broadcasts.

If someone would PLEASE be so kind and create a topic in another forum - perhaps "General Satellite Discussion" - it would be much appreciated.

[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1842 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,428 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:24 AM

If you think it is more important to watch sweat drip down the pitcher's face as he gets the signal from his catcher, rather than his slider headed towards the plate.

Uncalled for, and I think nothing of the sort.

You're implying the old saw that motion clarity is better via 720p than 1080i, something ESPN has been happy to promulgate for quite a few years.

However, with a very good plasma, and on a large screen even ~ no introduced artifacts ~ fast motion is just fine to superb on 1080i.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#1843 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,428 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:27 AM

I would like to suggest we take the 720p vs 1080i discussion to its own topic. It's not really related to DirecTV, nor HD channel anticipation, and completely depends on how the channel in question broadcasts.

If someone would PLEASE be so kind and create a topic in another forum - perhaps "General Satellite Discussion" - it would be much appreciated.

Agree. My post in response to georule was sent before I saw this. I've made my points, and was only trying to clarify.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#1844 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,345 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:51 AM

Espn looks good for any sport that I can tell, but I also notice CBS sports have some motion artifacts especially during college football games but my local CBS station looks good for NFL football games, NBC also except when they score a touchdown and they show the crowd cheering or when celebrate with confetti.

#1845 OFFLINE   larry55

larry55

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:02 PM

get back on the subject .who care about discusssion 720 or 1080 hd.we all know some hd is the 720 or 1080 format.this forum about new hd channel coming on directv.

#1846 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:14 PM

Moving right along indeed. :)

So what is on the horizon after these 5 are launched? I think many of us were surprised to see a group of 5 launch, and it makes one wonder..... in the ever popular phrase "there will be more hd soon", what is going to be the "more hd", and when is going to be the "soon"? :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#1847 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:19 PM

I think the next wave is sports. And the techies will be busy with the nfl soon. Should slow things down for a bit as they set that up and make sure it all works.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1848 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

I think so too. PAC-12 I think will be next, in one form or another.

I am the Stig.

#1849 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,509 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:25 PM

Moving right along indeed. :)

So what is on the horizon after these 5 are launched? I think many of us were surprised to see a group of 5 launch, and it makes one wonder..... in the ever popular phrase "there will be more hd soon", what is going to be the "more hd", and when is going to be the "soon"? :D

H2 HD?...OuterMax HD?...

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#1850 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 384 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:31 PM

get back on the subject .who care about discusssion 720 or 1080 hd.we all know some hd is the 720 or 1080 format.this forum about new hd channel coming on directv.

Exactly.

#1851 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,653 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:45 PM

I think the next wave is sports. And the techies will be busy with the nfl soon. Should slow things down for a bit as they set that up and make sure it all works.

While I agree that sports (pac12 ) will likely be next, i don't think nfl st would be any reasons to speed up or slow down new channels. I think that's being determined by their encoders and upgrades there, and unfortunately, we don't know that information. All we know is they still have I believe two transponders with nothing on them, (maybe sixto can confirm if those two are still free that where emptied when they launched the first two transponders with six channels) beyond that, we don't know if they have more encoders in place to give us six channels per transponder, do we? I think that will be the driver. I am also assuming that they have rights to several more Hi Definition channels that we don't have, like some of the encores and Viacom channels, etc...

#1852 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:50 PM

While I agree that sports (pac12 ) will likely be next, i don't think nfl st would be any reasons to speed up or slow down new channels.

It is simple. Say DirecTV has five people (number is just for example purposes) working on bringing up channels and testing them. Those five people will be busy bringing the NFL channels back on line and testing them. They won't be available to work on other things.

The NFL Sunday Ticket is big, big bucks for DirecTV so they keep those five people dedicated to ensuring that the channels stay healthy. So they push back other work (like bringing on H2 or other HD) for a few weeks.

Just like worker availability and vacations around July 4 probably gave TCM a longer than usual test period...

Why do few people around here understand managing resources?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#1853 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,653 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:27 PM

It is simple. Say DirecTV has five people (number is just for example purposes) working on bringing up channels and testing them. Those five people will be busy bringing the NFL channels back on line and testing them. They won't be available to work on other things.

The NFL Sunday Ticket is big, big bucks for DirecTV so they keep those five people dedicated to ensuring that the channels stay healthy. So they push back other work (like bringing on H2 or other HD) for a few weeks.

Just like worker availability and vacations around July 4 probably gave TCM a longer than usual test period...

Why do few people around here understand managing resources?

I understand managing resources just fine. We just have different ideas of how they may have set up their crews. We could both be wrong of course, but..
I have a feeling they have a dedicated crew for sports, and that they handle things like Sunday ticket and other sports packages. It would also make sense for them to have another crew to deal with all the other channels. The sports thing goes on year round, not just for Sunday ticket.

Oh and they don't really have to bring channels back online so much for Sunday ticket do they? I have always believed all those channels are already up in the system, and that they flip a switch to push them nationally instead of only locally in spot beams. Does anyone know if that's the case?

I have a hard time believing the fourth of July had anything to do with tmc not launching for three weeks.

#1854 OFFLINE   djzack67

djzack67

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:32 PM

Bring on the 5 new channels
Waiting for
BBCA HD

#1855 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:35 PM

And don't forget they do stuff every day. They are busy with all the LiL's being launched, and new channels show up in test there almost every week as well. I'm sure there is a process that needs to be documented, programmed, tested, etc.... in a sense, launching a channel becomes a project, with an assigned project manager and some people doing all the different parts of the project.

That said, they are used to this. If they need to launch more channels, they can launch more channels. The people working on these projects are also doing many many other things and aren't twiddling their thumbs when there is no channel to launch. When they do need to launch channels, they just manage their other workload by scaling it down a little.

They also work pretty much 24/7, and there are people on-site in their monitoring center 24 hours a day. I don't believe that they would not be able to launch say... 10 HD channels "just because they are busy with NFL Sunday Ticket" or something like that. They just plan things out parallel to each other. And that isn't a problem if you have good project managers. :)

In the last four weeks they have done, among others:

- Bring up, take down Golf Open Champion Ship.
- Bring up (and soon take down) Olympic Channels.
- Move NBC related channels around a bit.
- Launch, take down PGA.
- Launch 5 new HD channels in test.
- Launch a number of LiL markets in test.
- Launch a number of LiL markets from test to live.
- Bring up a fairly LARGE number of new LiL HD channel, mostly Spanish.
- Take down, and bring back up all the Viacom channels.
- Launch Disney JR in SD, launch TCM in HD.
- Prep Mike White Propaganda Channel. :D

They do SO MUCH on a daily basis, launching 2 or 5, or even 10 new CONUS HD channels is only a small percentage of their daily work load.

So no.... I don't believe that a thing like Sunday Ticket really gets in the way. That too, is really only a small percentage of their daily work load looking at all the other stuff that keeps em busy, and that is just the stuff we can SEE from the outside. So much more goes on internally, that what we see from the outside may only be a fraction of what they do. And launching Sunday Ticket is then just merely a bullet point on their long, long to-do list for the week. :D

I am the Stig.

#1856 OFFLINE   djzack67

djzack67

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:38 PM

Ready for Doctor Who in HD
Waiting for
BBCA HD

#1857 OFFLINE   djzack67

djzack67

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:41 PM

Would love BBCA to run old Torchwood in HD
Waiting for
BBCA HD

#1858 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:42 PM

I understand managing resources just fine. We just have different ideas of how they may have set up their crews. We could both be wrong of course, but..
I have a feeling they have a dedicated crew for sports, and that they handle things like Sunday ticket and other sports packages. It would also make sense for them to have another crew to deal with all the other channels. The sports thing goes on year round, not just for Sunday ticket.

Oh and they don't really have to bring channels back online so much for Sunday ticket do they? I have always believed all those channels are already up in the system, and that they flip a switch to push them nationally instead of only locally in spot beams. Does anyone know if that's the case?

I have a hard time believing the fourth of July had anything to do with tmc not launching for three weeks.

All fine if you want to ignore SR actually making statements about Sunday Ticket keeping people busy.

You really think the entire stream from source to satellite to home is sitting fallow for months and months on end? That would a complete waste of resources.

And a group of people sitting around to handle the six or so channel adds a year? You just keep proving you don't know how to manage resources.

#1859 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:50 PM

Would love BBCA to run old Torchwood in HD

Oh yeah that would be really nice.

I am the Stig.

#1860 OFFLINE   Joe Spears

Joe Spears

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 109 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

Here is a thread I bumped to continue that discussion. :)
Another 1080p/1080i/720p discussion, pulled from D11 thread

spam firewall