Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#1881 OFFLINE   larry55

larry55

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:18 PM

Do you think the 5 new channels be up wednesday aug 15?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1882 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,974 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:27 PM

Likely.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#1883 OFFLINE   djzack67

djzack67

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:37 PM

HD. I'm ready
Waiting for
BBCA HD

#1884 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,806 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:37 PM

Likely.

Yep!

I see no reason to assume TCM-HD wasn't anything other than a unique occurrence.

~Alan

#1885 OFFLINE   djzack67

djzack67

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:41 PM

I'm ready to set the DVR as soon as the programs arrive in the guide
Waiting for
BBCA HD

#1886 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 659 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:02 PM

Doctor Who?:)

:lol::D:lol:

#1887 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 659 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:04 PM

The new channels will be there on the 15th! Pinky swear promise! (as my daughter would say)

#1888 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,020 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:32 AM

... I think DirecTV 7s proved to DirecTV that announcing things in advance isn't the best idea with the mentality of a lot of people out there, though...

~Alan

Pardon me if this should be something obvious in history, but what was it specifically about DIRECTV-7S?

#1889 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:43 AM

I remember back in the earlier days of Directv when a new channel was gonna be added, you would see it in the guide.
It would say for example

305 IONEHD begins 8/15 @ 6am and sometimes it would also air a preview loop of the channel.

I wish Directv would go back to doing that.

I'm more old school than that...I remember my cable company back in the 80's putting on the bill IN PRINT that some new channels were coming...and then the cable guide would come in the mail with all colorful ads for said channel starting up..I mean heaven forbid anyone today factually puts something in print huh??

Test channels were channels that weren't available on the punch button 3 tier push button BROWN Jerrold cable box..you would hook up your cable line to your TV and check the cable ready channels past ch 39...mainly channels 98 & 99..so back then I WAS SIXTO telling people Manhattan Cable was getting MTV or HBO!!...I remember seeing the Disney Channel and ESPN2 once in test

and the cable ready TV's really lived up to their names in which you didn't need a cable box...technologies improved and all the basic channels got scrambled eventually then needing a box...also Manhattan used to be divided with 2 cable companies and one had HBO...the other had Showtime..so when HBO came back it was a big deal...there was also a way to rig the box so it would unscramble the channel heh heh!!

ah the old days!!! sigh..

Edited by Santi360HD, 11 August 2012 - 07:22 AM.

#1890 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,540 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:34 AM

Are there technical obstacles to so doing? (I understand there are a lot of other factors suggesting it's not a good idea to do that today.)

If they put and hd feed with a loop up on a channel that already exists in SD, anyone who has hide SD channels up would miss the SD channel in their guide and searches. They would lose then programming on the SD channel for the duration except for quick tunes and scheduled recordings.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1891 OFFLINE   djzack67

djzack67

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:29 AM

Hope we get HD VOD content with BBCA
Waiting for
BBCA HD

#1892 OFFLINE   seern

seern

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:32 AM

Hope we get HD VOD content with BBCA

Well considering that we do not get a lot of VOD HD anyway, I would doubt it. Very few of the hd shows on channels like History, National Geographic, Travel and Discovery are in hd on VOD and I have no idea why D* does this.

By the way, 5 new hd channels, I have missed something since I only know of BBCA and NGW.

Sharon
HR24-100
HR34-700

All units in DECA cloud
H24-100 removed from service

#1893 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,540 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:37 AM

Well considering that we do not get a lot of VOD HD anyway, I would doubt it. Very few of the hd shows on channels like History, National Geographic, Travel and Discovery are in hd on VOD and I have no idea why D* does this.

By the way, 5 new hd channels, I have missed something since I only know of BBCA and NGW.

You missed Ion East, beIN Sports and Disney Jr.

HD VOD is lacking expect for premiums where it is world class. Would like to see more.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#1894 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,113 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

I'm more old school than that...I remember my cable company back in the 80's putting on the bill IN PRINT that some new channels were coming...and then the cable guide would come in the mail with all colorful ads for said channel starting up..I mean heaven forbid anyone today factually puts something in print huh??

Test channels were channels that weren't available on the punch button 3 tier push button BROWN Jerrold cable box..you would hook up your cable line to your TV and check the cable ready channels past ch 39...mainly channels 98 & 99..so back then I WAS SIXTO telling people Manhattan Cable was getting MTV or HBO!!...I remember seeing the Disney Channel and ESPN2 once in test

and the cable ready TV's really lived up to their names in which you didn't need a cable box...technologies improved and all the basic channels got scrambled eventually then needing a box...also Manhattan used to be divided with 2 cable companies and one had HBO...the other had Showtime..so when HBO came back it was a big deal...there was also a way to rig the box so it would unscramble the channel heh heh!!

ah the old days!!! sigh..

Why you use print when they can send you a message and cost less and save paper? It's the same thing, a message, it's just electronic. I am surprised they dont send out emails every time a new channel appears.

#1895 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,113 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:24 AM

If they put and hd feed with a loop up on a channel that already exists in SD, anyone who has hide SD channels up would miss the SD channel in their guide and searches. They would lose then programming on the SD channel for the duration except for quick tunes and scheduled recordings.

Yep, that's also why half the time they add a channel banner to let you know when a channel launches too... That way it's in the guide nice and attention grabbing like.

#1896 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:46 AM

Why you use print when they can send you a message and cost less and save paper? It's the same thing, a message, it's just electronic. I am surprised they dont send out emails every time a new channel appears.

I agree why dont they just stop the drama, and just say it? On a website or a message...instead we get winks, nods, smiley wink faces...now all that was used for this 5 channel rollout..so the cats out of the bag for an addition next time..what the next signal...farts?

#1897 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,540 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:03 AM

I agree why dont they just stop the drama, and just say it? On a website or a message...instead we get winks, nods, smiley wink faces...now all that was used for this 5 channel rollout..so the cats out of the bag for an addition next time..what the next signal...farts?

They got burned on HBO a few years ago. Announcements have been after the fact ever since then. A few have leaked out on the magazine, etc, that did not happen so it is obvious that often nothing is done until it is done.

What difference does it make? You can't watch it until it is here. Since a majority of the adds are HD for existing SD, they can't add them to the guide early anyway.

Meanwhile, some if us have fun playing detective. I'm still proud that I noticed Disney Jr via guide review.

#1898 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:24 AM

I agree why dont they just stop the drama, and just say it? On a website or a message.

The channels are in test right now. They could fail the test. Why should DirecTV make a promise they might not keep?
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#1899 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,722 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:29 AM

The channels are in test right now. They could fail the test. Why should DirecTV make a promise they might not keep?

Fail? Are these not channels that DirecTV are contracted to carry? There is no room for failure --- only a limited time to get it right before the channels are made public.

Or does DirecTV put channels on their satellite before they agree to carry them? When was the last channel DirecTV added in test that didn't go live?

#1900 OFFLINE   seern

seern

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:32 AM

Isn't Ion the channel that carries the Canadian show about the Toronto SWAT team that used to be a summer replacement on CBS? I liked that show, and if it is it will be great to get it again in hd.

Sharon
HR24-100
HR34-700

All units in DECA cloud
H24-100 removed from service

Protected By... spam firewall...And...