Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#1901 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:34 AM

Fail? Are these not channels that DirecTV are contracted to carry? There is no room for failure --- only a limited time to get it right before the channels are made public.

Or does DirecTV put channels on their satellite before they agree to carry them? When was the last channel DirecTV added in test that didn't go live?

Isn't DirecTV using a relatively new process that puts more channels on each transponder to give us these five new channels? Wasn't TCM HD in test for a lot longer than normal? What the poster wanted was DirecTV to announce these channels are coming. I took his post to mean putting a date on it. Why should DirecTV stick its neck out on a specific commitment if they don't have to, especially one they might not be able to keep?
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1902 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,435 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:51 AM

Isn't DirecTV using a relatively new process that puts more channels on each transponder to give us these five new channels? Wasn't TCM HD in test for a lot longer than normal? What the poster wanted was DirecTV to announce these channels are coming. I took his post to mean putting a date on it. Why should DirecTV stick its neck out on a specific commitment if they don't have to, especially one they might not be able to keep?

I think Sixto said most of these are not the sixth channel. They have rearranged things so that they used existing channels on six per transponders.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1903 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,514 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:00 PM

I think Sixto said most of these are not the sixth channel. They have rearranged things so that they used existing channels on six per transponders.

BBC America, National Geographic Wild and ION are "1060" channels ... the sixth slot. The other two are "1050" channels ...

http://www.dbstalk.c...397#post3072397

#1904 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:00 PM

Actually, from the map he posted, "most" (3 of 5), were 1060 on their transponders.

Just not "all", because of previous re-arrangements.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#1905 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 656 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:20 PM

Isn't Ion the channel that carries the Canadian show about the Toronto SWAT team that used to be a summer replacement on CBS? I liked that show, and if it is it will be great to get it again in hd.

Toronto SWAT...so it's a comedy?:D

#1906 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 830 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

And another issue might be that they want to ensure that adding this or that particular channel on a particular transponder doesn't screw up the rest of them. One thing's for sure, when it comes to technical quality, Direct knows what it's doing.

#1907 OFFLINE   sabrewulf

sabrewulf

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:41 PM

What about LMN, GSN, RFD, and HLN

#1908 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:49 PM

One thing's for sure, when it comes to technical quality, Direct knows what it's doing.

Directv has one of the best products out there, but they do have some nagging technical flaws that have been hanging around for far too long. It looks like they've finally fixed remote control responsiveness, but guide issues and audio breakups continue to plague many customers.

They've made big strides with the updates to the HD-DVR software this year, but need to address some of these problems to really be outstanding.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#1909 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,669 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

What about LMN, GSN, RFD, and HLN

They still have more to go, but we are at least getting major additions. It will be quite a while before everyone is happy, if that even is possible.

#1910 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,753 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

Directv has one of the best products out there, but they do have some nagging technical flaws that have been hanging around for far too long. It looks like they've finally fixed remote control responsiveness, but guide issues and audio breakups continue to plague many customers.

They've made big strides with the updates to the HD-DVR software this year, but need to address some of these problems to really be outstanding.

Wonder if they can auto switch an Internet connected receiver to the iPad streaming version of the channel (if available) during rain fade / low signal conditions?

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#1911 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,724 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:57 PM

Pardon me if this should be something obvious in history, but what was it specifically about DIRECTV-7S?

DirecTV announced a bunch of local markets that would be going up on DirecTV 7s. The company who built the satellite went through bankruptcy, Dish Network attempted to BUY the satellite from the company, and long story short, the locals were launched, if memory serves, a year late.

Ever since then, DirecTV's kept things a lot closer to the vest. Sure, every now and then you'll see something announced prior, but usually it's not until things are ready to go.

Isn't Ion the channel that carries the Canadian show about the Toronto SWAT team that used to be a summer replacement on CBS? I liked that show, and if it is it will be great to get it again in hd.

Yes, "Flashpoint" is carried on Ion now.

~Alan

#1912 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,724 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:06 PM

Not that anybody cares, but I wanted to update this anyway.

I've noticed recently a decrease in the PQ of my local NBC affiliate. I had every intention of posting a report about it in the LOCAL ISSUES thread, but I decided to check my OTA signal first, and I saw similar results. I've contacted my local NBC affiliate and am awaiting verification, but I think they've given more bandwidth to the ABC sub-channel as I believe it's looking sharper than it was previously.

I was told late last night that they just started using an older backup ATSC encoder while awaiting a new one ("SOON"). He stated the bitrate was the same, but due to the age of the encoder, perhaps the compression techniques are not as good/efficient.

"Grimm" starts up on Monday, but aside from that, I'm not watching NBC until next month, so hopefully it'll be up and running by then.

To tie this into DirecTV conversation, while I was aware of it before, this goes to prove to me even further what a difference newer and more efficient encoders can make.

~Alan

#1913 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,708 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:17 PM

Not that anybody cares

What? When it comes to anything regarding HD, we care. :D

#1914 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,724 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:21 PM

What? When it comes to anything regarding HD, we care. :D

The "DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)" is for discussing NATIONAL HD channel anticipation.

My original statement about my local NBC affiliate was in regards to the 720p/1080i/p discussion going on.

However, I have no interest in the 720p/1080i/p thread, and the main reason I wanted to do my reply above was for two reasons... one a follow-up to my statement (that was made in this thread), and two, the bolded part about the encoder. That is always something that should be kept in mind whether it's local or national.

~Alan

Edited by Alan Gordon, 11 August 2012 - 06:41 PM.

#1915 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,435 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:30 PM

It is a good point. And appropriate to the topic as we are getting more and better HD because of the technology.

And it is all the way through the stream from origination to delivery that the age of the tech makes a difference.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#1916 OFFLINE   thelucky1

thelucky1

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:21 PM

From twitter....@PAC12insider: Hearing the PAC12 Network will reach a deal with DirecTV before the start of football season."
A DIRECTV Customer since 1998 :)

#1917 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,435 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:28 PM

Good chance the deal is already done but won't go into effect until football season opener.

Will be interesting to see the distribution scheme.

#1918 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:59 AM

Yes, "Flashpoint" is carried on Ion now.

They also just recently picked up the full series run of L&O Criminal Intent.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#1919 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:31 AM

I'm more old school than that...I remember my cable company back in the 80's putting on the bill IN PRINT that some new channels were coming...and then the cable guide would come in the mail with all colorful ads for said channel starting up..I mean heaven forbid anyone today factually puts something in print huh??

Test channels were channels that weren't available on the punch button 3 tier push button BROWN Jerrold cable box..you would hook up your cable line to your TV and check the cable ready channels past ch 39...mainly channels 98 & 99..so back then I WAS SIXTO telling people Manhattan Cable was getting MTV or HBO!!...I remember seeing the Disney Channel and ESPN2 once in test

and the cable ready TV's really lived up to their names in which you didn't need a cable box...technologies improved and all the basic channels got scrambled eventually then needing a box...also Manhattan used to be divided with 2 cable companies and one had HBO...the other had Showtime..so when HBO came back it was a big deal...there was also a way to rig the box so it would unscramble the channel heh heh!!

ah the old days!!! sigh..

The cable co in my area SuddenLink does announce new channels. They have a still screen that will announce new channels and they usually have it up 30 days ahead. They also print it on the bill.

#1920 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,435 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:43 AM

The cable co in my area SuddenLink does announce new channels. They have a still screen that will announce new channels and they usually have it up 30 days ahead. They also print it on the bill.

Often that is a requirement for their local cable franchise put upon them by the city, county, whatever that grants the license.

spam firewall