Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Checking Nomad Storage Use?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pnessutt

pnessutt

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:24 AM

We now have two devices (iPads) using Nomad for downloading of DVR recordings and I was wondering how I could check the current storage utilization on the device. Is there a way that I can see how much space is left for transcoded shows?

I suspect we'll have to add the flash drive now to increase storage regardless, but I would like to see what is out there.

Thanks!

-Bob

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,065 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:27 AM

We now have two devices (iPads) using Nomad for downloading of DVR recordings and I was wondering how I could check the current storage utilization on the device. Is there a way that I can see how much space is left for transcoded shows?

I suspect we'll have to add the flash drive now to increase storage regardless, but I would like to see what is out there.

Thanks!

-Bob

Yes, start the client, select the ?, then System Info, that screen will show how much storage is being used.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   pnessutt

pnessutt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:51 AM

Yes, start the client, select the ?, then System Info, that screen will show how much storage is being used.

Thanks, RAD.

From what I'm reading, it says there is 26.1MB free on the device. Not much left...

That being said, how do I delete items from Nomad (while keeping them on the DVR) to free up space (short of buying the flash drive)?

Thanks again for your help!

-Bob

#4 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,065 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:55 AM

Thanks, RAD.

From what I'm reading, it says there is 26.1MB free on the device. Not much left...

That being said, how do I delete items from Nomad (while keeping them on the DVR) to free up space (short of buying the flash drive)?

Thanks again for your help!

-Bob

You don't. The only way for the transcoded recording to be deleted is to delete it from the HD DVR. What you're asking for is a feature that a number of people have been asking DIRCTV to add to nomad. I hooked up a 1TB USB drive to mine to get around that issue.

#5 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:21 AM

I believe if you tell it to transcode something else it will delete the oldest recording that is on it to make room.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#6 OFFLINE   pnessutt

pnessutt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:38 AM

Thanks for your replies - I hope they add this feature in the future so we have more administrative capabilities.

I will have to add an expansion drive quickly in the interim. :)

-Bob

#7 OFFLINE   pnessutt

pnessutt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:43 PM

Do I need to have nomad powered off and then plug in my USB drive? Or can I plug it in while the unit is on?

Just bought a 64GB flash drive for it and wanted to make sure I do it right.

Thanks!

-Bob

#8 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,065 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:15 PM

I've plugged in a USB drive with nomad powered on. I also have the client open since you need to give nomad the OK to add it.

#9 OFFLINE   pnessutt

pnessutt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:34 PM

I've plugged in a USB drive with nomad powered on. I also have the client open since you need to give nomad the OK to add it.

That worked. I tried it first by shutting down, plugging it in, and then starting it up - that didn't work.

When I had the client open and plugged it in, Nomad reported the new drive was added and asked if I wanted to format. I did and voila, I now have 80GB of space. Nice.

Thanks!

-Bob

Protected By... spam firewall...And...