Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Nomad on Android

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   uwhumpty

uwhumpty

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts
  • LocationSioux City, IA

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:20 AM

I was checking DirecTV's Nomad page today, and the graphic now says "New! Now available on Android!" However Nomad does not show up in the Play Store, and further down on the same page it still says that an Android version is still "coming soon."
Hopefully this points to a release in the near future, or at least some information from our resident experts.

Update: added screenshot

Attached Thumbnails

• Nomad.jpg

Edited by uwhumpty, 29 June 2012 - 08:26 AM.

Slimline SL3-SWM
HR34-700 via HDMI --> Onkyo HT-RC260 --> Samsung PN50C8000 3D Plasma
HR24-200 via HDMI --> Samsung LN32D550
H24-700 via HDMI --> Samsung UN32EH5300
H25-700 via HDMI --> Samsung UN40ES6100
Receivers networked via DECA. DECA cloud networked to a Linksys E4200.
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Verizon, Stock ICS 4.2.2)
Asus Nexus 7 (Stock Jelly Bean 4.2.2)
Asus Transformer Infinity (Stock ICS 4.2.1)

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   willmw

willmw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

Recently got an Android phone, so I'm very interested in this....

#3 OFFLINE   retrax

retrax

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:33 AM

I got tired of the "coming soon" and bought an ipad3. I too have and android phone and would like to see it come out but their definition of soon is different than mine

#4 OFFLINE   dconfer

dconfer

Legend

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:15 PM

I bought the thing in the middle of october because they said coming soon. Gees I think that has come and gone.

#5 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:56 PM

I was considering the Nomad when I firs heard of it, but at the time there was no Android support. Now my situation has changed and I'm only in the office 1 day every two weeks, so I see less use for Nomad. I still might want it for when I travel for work (about three trips a year) so I'll re-evaluate when I hear how well it works on Android tablets...

#6 OFFLINE   dsexton

dsexton

Mentor

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:03 AM

And this morning the announcement is gone. I like DirecTV and have been a member for many years, but their handling of the Nomad has been the biggest mess I have seen from them. I bought mine as soon as it was released because it was going to work with my Android devices. I travel a lot and have had to lug around my very heavy, very large laptop ever since I bought the Nomad instead of using my phone or tablet. They really need to get their act together on this. I sent Ellen a letter months ago and got an immediate written and telephone response from her office. They told me they could not provide a date but that it was "coming soon." As compared to what, the next Ice Age?

#7 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,098 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:08 AM

I suspect that the recent changes on the DirecTV.com site indicate things are very close on the Android client version for nomad....which many people will welcome based on past posts and comments.

We've seen the same pattern before on the DirecTV.com site having varous changes on announcement pages...then followed by public announcements.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#8 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:22 PM

I saw this today too when checking. Am disappointed that it still isn't available. :(.

Thanks for making Android priorities a DISTANT #2 again DirecTV.

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!
My current setup can be found here!

#9 OFFLINE   uwhumpty

uwhumpty

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 147 posts
  • LocationSioux City, IA

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:28 AM

As I think we've all figured, the image I posted earlier seems to be premature. Just checked again today and they've changed the image back to announcing availability for Mac, and no longer Android. Looks like the waiting will continue.
Slimline SL3-SWM
HR34-700 via HDMI --> Onkyo HT-RC260 --> Samsung PN50C8000 3D Plasma
HR24-200 via HDMI --> Samsung LN32D550
H24-700 via HDMI --> Samsung UN32EH5300
H25-700 via HDMI --> Samsung UN40ES6100
Receivers networked via DECA. DECA cloud networked to a Linksys E4200.
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Verizon, Stock ICS 4.2.2)
Asus Nexus 7 (Stock Jelly Bean 4.2.2)
Asus Transformer Infinity (Stock ICS 4.2.1)

#10 OFFLINE   Hoffer

Hoffer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

I bought the thing in the middle of october because they said coming soon. Gees I think that has come and gone.

A guy on another forum I frequent bought one at release due to Android support coming soon. Like a month or two ago, he called DirecTV and tried to return the thing. He told them he's been waiting months and still no Android support. They wouldn't take it back, but I think they gave him like $100 in credit or something.

#11 Guest_jessicalennita_*

Guest_jessicalennita_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:38 AM

Well all are waiting for the nomad on android but it is still unavailable. Later they announced that it would not support the android and only works with the Mac. Waiting continues and hope it will be available soon.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...