Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Hopper Feature Working!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:10 PM

For folks with 2 or more Hoppers, the last update now allows us to share recordings.

One negative I see, my fast forward seems to have a small delay in it now. It was super fast and now when I press the FF button to fast, I see the same video until I stop. Before I would see a snip of each 30 second stop. Not anymore.... No biggie, but makes it harder to know when to stop.

Edited by tommiet, 29 June 2012 - 03:12 PM.
Bad Day....

**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,799 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:45 PM

For folks with 2 or more Hoppers, the last update now allows us to share recordings.

Software version S213.

One negative I see, my fast forward seems to have a small delay in it now. It was super fast and now when I press the FF button to fast, I see the same video until I stop. Before I would see a snip of each 30 second stop. Not anymore.... No biggie, but makes it harder to know when to stop.

For clarity, that is the skip fwd button ... fwd works fine at all speeds zipping ahead. Skip Fwd isn't showing each skip.

#3 OFFLINE   misterp

misterp

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:53 PM

I only have one Hopper... Can you explain what "sharing" between Hoppers means? How is this different from what the Joeys do? I'm wondering if there is reason for me to buy a second Hopper.

#4 OFFLINE   StringFellow

StringFellow

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:09 PM

This is all well and good if the update has been pushed to your Hoppers. I have yet to see the update on either of my Hoppers! :(

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,895 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:41 PM

Watch dedicated S2.13 thread ...

#6 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:53 AM

I only have one Hopper... Can you explain what "sharing" between Hoppers means? How is this different from what the Joeys do? I'm wondering if there is reason for me to buy a second Hopper.

It means that 2 hoppers (i believe 2 is the limit) can speak to each other.
Information on Hopper A can be accessed on Hoppah B, and vice versa.

#7 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:57 AM

If you have three all three can access each other.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,895 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:49 AM

If you have three all three can access each other.

Question: if you have more then three ? Five ? Ten ?

#9 OFFLINE   misterp

misterp

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:56 AM

I still don't understand how this is different from a Joey. Joeys speak to Hoppers too. What can I do with two Hoppers that I can't do with a Hopper and a Joey?

#10 OFFLINE   strikes2k

strikes2k

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:57 PM

I still don't understand how this is different from a Joey. Joeys speak to Hoppers too. What can I do with two Hoppers that I can't do with a Hopper and a Joey?

Record 6 different programs from any channel, since you have 6 separate tuners. And have more Joeys I think. I think you can only have 3 Joeys per Hopper so if you have a very large household a 2 Hopper, bunch of Joey system might make sense. But yes, essentially this just adds the same capabilities between hoppers that Joeys already had.

#11 OFFLINE   bigdog9586

bigdog9586

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:17 PM

Record 6 different programs from any channel, since you have 6 separate tuners. And have more Joeys I think. I think you can only have 3 Joeys per Hopper so if you have a very large household a 2 Hopper, bunch of Joey system might make sense. But yes, essentially this just adds the same capabilities between hoppers that Joeys already had.

You DON'T have six tuners, only three. You can only record the 4 networks ONLY during prime time and two others. Non prime and you can only record three.

#12 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:51 PM

^Yes but now that I can watch PTAT on either Hopper I gain one of the three tuners back. So now I can record the 4 major networks plus 4 other channels simultaneously during prime time and then access the four major networks from the other Hopper. It is an excellent feature along with autohop this system is the bomb.

#13 OFFLINE   strikes2k

strikes2k

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

You DON'T have six tuners, only three. You can only record the 4 networks ONLY during prime time and two others. Non prime and you can only record three.

My understanding is that with two hoppers you have 6 tuners, 3 per Hopper. Therefore, during PTAT you can actually record 9 programs at once, 4 using PTAT and one tuner and 5 others using the other 5 tuners. I just looked in the Hopper training guide and it says the same thing.

#14 OFFLINE   bigdog9586

bigdog9586

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:38 PM

My understanding is that with two hoppers you have 6 tuners, 3 per Hopper. Therefore, during PTAT you can actually record 9 programs at once, 4 using PTAT and one tuner and 5 others using the other 5 tuners. I just looked in the Hopper training guide and it says the same thing.

Yes and with 3 hoppers you would have 9 tuners. But all this is miss leading to a newbe and most don't have two hoppers.

#15 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,799 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

Correct ... with two Hoppers.

bigdog was missing that disclaimer ... and two (or more) Hoppers is the point of this thread. Sharing content on either Hopper with the other Hopper.

#16 OFFLINE   strikes2k

strikes2k

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:45 PM

Yes and with 3 hoppers you would have 9 tuners. But all this is miss leading to a newbe and most don't have two hoppers.

I responded to this specific question, and it was quoted in my response:

What can I do with two Hoppers that I can't do with a Hopper and a Joey

Not sure how you could have misinterpreted my response before choosing to jump all over me. But hey, whatever.

#17 OFFLINE   rohdem

rohdem

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

I am a directv customer but I am scheduled to have Dish installed next Tuesday. I am scheduled to get 1 hopper and 3 joeys, but the more I read about the Hopper, the more I am worried that the 3 tuners aren't going to be enough for my 4 TV setup. I plan on using the slingbox adapter also.

Dish rep told me that if I wanted to put a 2nd hopper instead of one of the joeys, the monthly charges would be the same, but it would cost me $99 up front for the 2nd hopper. Does this sound right?

So if the 2 hoppers communicate after this software update, do they function as one big DVR as far as scheduling and recording? I.E. if I schedule a show, will it record on either hopper, whichever has tuners available? Or do I have balance my recordings by scheduling conflicting shows on separate hoppers, then have a 'recorded shows' list for each hopper? Am I making sense here? :)

#18 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 525 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

Grab that second Hopper! For the time being, the connection between Hoppers is to watch the other Hoppers recordings. More connection will evolve over time. The Joeys can watch OR control either Hopper and do pretty much anything except PIP. You can strategically plan where you want Hoppers and Joeys located to take advantage of available features.

#19 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:22 AM

Yup, I'd pay the $99 up front and grab that 2nd Hopper now.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#20 OFFLINE   crabtrp

crabtrp

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

I would think 1 Hopper for 4 tv's would not be optimal, depending obviously on how much they are used. Get the 2nd Hopper. Even with the 2nd Hopper we his issue on tuners being used (4 tv's also), the latest release on hopper to hopper integration has made things a lot easier.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...