Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Reelz channel no longer in HD? But now it is HD.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   eric032706

eric032706

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:26 PM

Is it just my imagination that Reelz channel 299 was in HD, or has it always been in SD ? It was in my favorites list one day, then gone today. When I looked for it in the channel list, it was only listed as being available in SD.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:43 PM

Actually you are correct. This is routine apparent per Reelz contract with Dish

Bye (again) Reelz ... Hello Mid-Atlantic Sports Net and Mid-Atlantic Sports Net 2!
9604 REELZ (299 HD) Reelz removed from 129° TP 23 (HD Hidden)
9604 REELZ (299 HD) Reelz removed from 72.7° TP 11 (HD Hidden)

Of course! I set a timer to record the movie tonight and series premier Friday of "XIII".:mad:

Oh, and :welcome_s

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   eric032706

eric032706

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:09 PM

Thank you for the quick response and the welcome. I've been reading these posts for years, but first time posting. Seems like Dish is always changing something.

#4 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:55 PM

It sux cuz I wanted to watch XIII in HD! Ah well.

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,532 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:40 PM

Yeah... it's weird. ReelzHD has come and gone at least 3 times now... for a limited run each time. I'm not sure why they don't just sign on full time.

I don't watch the channel, though I did DVR the Kennedys mini-series that first time we got ReelzHD.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#6 OFFLINE   StringFellow

StringFellow

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:08 PM

This is frustrating! Shouldn't the plan be to migrate channels from SD to HD and not the other way around? I can understand an SD channel that has always been an SD channel migrating to HD. But to have an HD channel change BACK to SD is frustrating. :mad:

#7 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:15 PM

I believe Reelz has done this two or three times now. Each time they add the HD version, it is usually limited for a program they are presenting. Once that program's run is over, the HD version disappears as well. First one was the documentary on the Kennedy's, not sure what this one was.

#8 OFFLINE   mike1977

mike1977

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:17 PM

This is frustrating! Shouldn't the plan be to migrate channels from SD to HD and not the other way around? I can understand an SD channel that has always been an SD channel migrating to HD. But to have an HD channel change BACK to SD is frustrating. :mad:

I agree. It's 2012...HD should be the norm now without adding an extra fee. It now should cost an extra fee to access the legacy SD feeds. :lol:

#9 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 608 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:38 AM

I agree. It's 2012...HD should be the norm now without adding an extra fee. It now should cost an extra fee to access the legacy SD feeds. :lol:

Too bad Disney does not think that way. ESPN News, Disney, Disney XD were once shown in HD. DISH was forced to take those echannels down, because Disney wanted addition carriage fees for these channels, plus ESPNU and ESPN Classic HD variants.

#10 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 544 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:11 PM

I thought I was seeing things too. I could have sworn the many times I skimmed past it and never watched. Now I want to watch something it's SD, and it's not even good SD. Is this a "red headed stepchild" channel?

#11 OFFLINE   StringFellow

StringFellow

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

I thought I was seeing things too. I could have sworn the many times I skimmed past it and never watched. Now I want to watch something it's SD, and it's not even good SD. Is this a "red headed stepchild" channel?

Totally agree! Never watched Reelz until XIII was advertised and it was HD when I setup the timer. Recording was in SD and noticed the channel is now SD.
Equipment: 2 Hopper, 1 Joey [soon to be 2 Joeys]

#12 OFFLINE   kucharsk

kucharsk

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:31 AM

DISH carried Reelz in HD each of the first two times they ran The Kennedys mini-series.

I'm not sure why it returned the last time, but apparently it wasn't permanent.

Reelz is uplinked in HD, so it's DISH deciding to drop the HD feed whenever they feel like it.

#13 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:27 AM

DISH carried Reelz in HD each of the first two times they ran The Kennedys mini-series.

Reelz is uplinked in HD, so it's DISH deciding to drop the HD feed whenever they feel like it.

I may well be, but it could also be REELZ who decided to discontinue the HD feed. If Dish is trying to negotiate a contract, this could explain why the feed is still uplinked. Since we haven't seen any releases from either side on this, it is hard to know for sure.

#14 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,102 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:51 AM

Thank you for the quick response and the welcome. I've been reading these posts for years, but first time posting. Seems like Dish is always changing something.

I never watch Reelz. It's their fault.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#15 OFFLINE   kucharsk

kucharsk

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:39 PM

The irony being that Reelz has been doing a The Kennedys marathon all day today. :D

#16 OFFLINE   eric032706

eric032706

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:42 PM

It's back in HD again. For how long, who knows?

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,586 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

Yep ... the flip flop channel.

On the down side, Smithsonian HD was removed from testing. :(

#18 OFFLINE   StringFellow

StringFellow

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:43 PM

How do timers work with the channels switching back and forth between SD and HD? Since the channel numbers are the same, how should I handle my timers?

#19 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,586 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:27 PM

How do timers work with the channels switching back and forth between SD and HD? Since the channel numbers are the same, how should I handle my timers?

It depends on the receiver so I suggest you check your timers often if you expect your programming to record.

#20 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

The best choice in this instance is to use a DISHPass/Seek & Record time with HD preference that way it should use the HD feed when available and the SD feed when HD isn't available. However you may end up having to skip unwanted shows if the title can match more than the desired show.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

spam firewall