Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DTV: Legacy SD Receivers To Be Obsolete

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BrucePadgett

BrucePadgett

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:17 PM

Per an email I just received from DirecTV, all pre-2004 SD receivers will become obsolete soon. They're offering me a more current one, no contract required. They want to swap out my old one, which will be a problem, as it is a first-gen Sony which I purchased way back in 1994 for a lot of money.

Before I phone them, I have a technical question for this forum, the members of which will probably be more informed to answer than DTV staff. (No disrespect intended to the CSRs.)

I purchased an H20 outright from a big-box dealer several years ago. While originally intended for use primarily as an MPEG-2 high-def receiver, it can also deliver standard def signals. Would it serve as an adequate replacement for my old Sony under the new DirecTV SD standards? I'd rather not play equipment roulette with DTV.

Thank you for any help, and I apologize to the moderators if this technical post seems misplaced. In a way, it's the end of an era.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:21 PM

You realized the H20 is leased, right?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,115 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:32 PM

I wonder what the reasoning is. They used RIDs for part of the time before this didn't they

To the OP, you sure you don't mean an H10? H20 is mpeg4 for HD.

#4 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:32 PM

The H20 doesn't do MRV if that matters to you.

I hope them by ending the life of the really old boxes, they could fix the guide data for Channels I Get being that was one of the old excuses.
my setup here

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,497 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:15 PM

Per an email I just received from DirecTV, all pre-2004 SD receivers will become obsolete soon. .

I wonder what is DirecTV up to if this is true....:confused:

#6 ONLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,168 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

Actually an H20 could be owned, I know I bought my first H20 before leasing took effect (thanks to this forum) even before I had an HDTV in the bedroom just so I could own it. Of course now I dont care
My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,999 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:20 PM

I wonder what is DirecTV up to if this is true....:confused:

Possibly they won't support non-SWM anymore. Now if they said that non-MPEG4 receivers were going to be obsolete, that would open up some interesting possibilities....

No, that's not it--SWM was more like 2006/7.

#8 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,035 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:21 PM

I think the receivers prior to the D11 have challenges with the current guide data, and that is an ongoing and worsening problem. I suspect that is the motivation (as opposed to SWM) for obsoleting older units.

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:25 PM

Possibly they won't support non-SWM anymore. Now if they said that non-MPEG4 receivers were going to be obsolete, that would open up some interesting possibilities....

Irrelevant if we discuss signals, modulations, sats, APG, etc.

SWiM is in-house delivery short leg.

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:26 PM

Absolutely untrue. Had in past three owned H20 and HR20.

#11 OFFLINE   tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:14 PM

When my Toshiba HD receiver was replaced by an H21 a few years ago, they told me to keep the Toshiba box and the H21 was registered as owned. YMMV, of course.

Edited by tigerwillow1, 30 June 2012 - 04:11 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:59 AM

Absolutely untrue. Had in past three owned H20 and HR20.

Absolutely untrue? Really?

How does equipment you have had have anything to do with it?

Is it possible it's owned? Sure. Is it likely? No.

Either way, it's not "absolutely untrue". But based on your other posts, I'm assuming you don't really know what that means anyway. English is tricky.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#13 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:03 AM

You better use your native language after thinking ...a little at least. Instead of blind acquisitions.

#14 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,879 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:45 AM

You better use your native language after thinking ...a little at least. Instead of blind acquisitions.

And you may want to look up the word acquisition...

Your accusation was pretty blind too.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#15 OFFLINE   doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop

Godfather

• Registered
  • 466 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:46 AM

Per an email I just received from DirecTV, all pre-2004 SD receivers will become obsolete soon. They're offering me a more current one, no contract required. They want to swap out my old one, which will be a problem, as it is a first-gen Sony which I purchased way back in 1994 for a lot of money.

I purchased an H20 outright from a big-box dealer several years ago. While originally intended for use primarily as an MPEG-2 high-def receiver, it can also deliver standard def signals. Would it serve as an adequate replacement for my old Sony under the new DirecTV SD standards? I'd rather not play equipment roulette with DTV.

I don't understand your fears here.

You may have spent a lot of money back then on that receiver, but now it's worth near zero.

The H20 will certainly serve just fine as an SD receiver.

And what sort of equipment did you fear receiving? You would probably get an H21 which is fine. And possibly an H24, even better.

5 - HR22-100 4 via regular ethernet, 1 via DECA, 2 HR21-700 networked via regular ethernet, HR21-100 networked via DECA, H25-500
R15-500 Inactive, H20-600 (ECO 2.0) inactive,D11 (Humax LD2060) inactive
Slimline 5 w/ SWM8 parallel w/ SWM16 w/DECA

#16 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,885 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:05 PM

You do realize that a lot has changed since 1994....
  • If you were running a computer, you were either running MS-DOS with Windows 3.1 or System 7
  • Connecting up to a computer meant using a dial-up modem
  • A fairly new computer ran a 80486 processor
  • A hard drive was around 500 MB, with some having 1 GB
  • "File portability" meant you carried files on a floppy disc instead of a USB or storing it on Dropbox
  • If you talked about Warcraft, you were talking about the NEW Warcraft game from Blizzard. There was no "World Of"
  • My computer monitor was a 14" CRT instead of the 24.6" widescreen LCD
  • Spike TV was known as The Nashville Network
  • AMC really meant American Movie Classics
  • "Timeshifting" a program required a VCR instead of a DVR
Considering all of the technological improvements, why are you complaining?
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#17 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:11 PM

all pre-2004 SD receivers will become obsolete soon. They're offering me a more current one, no contract required. They want to swap out my old one, which will be a problem, as it is a first-gen Sony which I purchased way back in 1994 for a lot of money.

I will join the piling on here. Like most early adopters, you and I paid a lot of money for receivers that they no longer support. That is life. That is part of being an early adopter of any technology. 1994 model most things no longer work and it really doesn't matter what you paid for them. You have gotten your value.

As to "equipment roulete", I guarentee that what ever you get will be light years superior to a 1st Gen SD. Its all good stuff.

#18 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,124 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:24 PM

Before I phone them, I have a technical question for this forum, the members of which will probably be more informed to answer than DTV staff. (No disrespect intended to the CSRs.)

Thank you for any help, and I apologize to the moderators if this technical post seems misplaced. In a way, it's the end of an era.

I will join the piling on here. Like most early adopters, you and I paid a lot of money for receivers that they no longer support. That is life. That is part of being an early adopter of any technology. 1994 model most things no longer work and it really doesn't matter what you paid for them. You have gotten your value.

As to "equipment roulete", I guarentee that what ever you get will be light years superior to a 1st Gen SD. Its all good stuff.

On one hand, the RCA receivers I had circa 1999 were the best receivers I ever had. On the other hand, it is time that DirecTV retire all obsolite receivers. After all of the MPEG2 receivers are retired, DirecTV can shut down the MPEG2 transmition and focus on providing only HD. For those who still have an SD TV, the HD receivers will deliver a composit SD signal, but think of the bandwith that can be saved by eliminating all of the SD duplicate channels.

#19 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:25 PM

I bought my first 1GB HD for $290 I'm betting that if I tried to give it away no one would take it.

The older tech just isn't worth supporting anymore because it's stopping progress.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#20 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,035 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:47 PM

I bought my first 1GB HD for $290 I'm betting that if I tried to give it away no one would take it.

I can remember a 5MB hard drive costing $2000. Really wanted it but no way I could afford it. That would have been around 1980. A year or two later they offered a 15MB drive for $2495.

So yes, technology certainly does evolve.

But obsoleting pre 2004 receivers is not even close to the start of getting rid of mpeg2. That will be around for years to come.

Edited by carl6, 30 June 2012 - 09:18 PM.
Corrected year

Protected By... spam firewall...And...