Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DTV: Legacy SD Receivers To Be Obsolete

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:04 PM

Its been a program for awhile...DTV is just now reaching ouot before it was a passive replacement program.....trying to get rid of the old stuff
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,755 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:04 PM

But obsoleting pre 1994 receivers is not even close to the start of getting rid of mpeg2. That will be around for years to come.

There is no such thing as pre-1994 Directv receivers, its year they first came out. In the OP's post, its pre-2004 receivers.
aka Tivoburkee

#23 OFFLINE   BrucePadgett

BrucePadgett

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

Whew! More responses than I imagined. Thanks all for your input.

As for my trepidation, I don't want to use a pre-leased receiver. That's what I meant by equipment roulette. Just a personal preference. All stuff breaks eventually, but used stuff is likely to fail sooner. And as pointed out, some of the best, most durable equipment was the earliest made.

My first-gen Sony has lasted 18 years. To think I would give it up for a leased receiver is hysterical. If nothing else, it will make a nice collector's item someday. BTW I have nothing against progress. But getting used electronics doesn't quite fit my definition of the word. All in all, the heretofore unused H20 I bought brand new is probably the best choice for me, given my preferences.

I will say the guide on my Sony has behaved poorly since the mid-90s. I can only scroll through about two hours worth of programming.

Thanks again for your help. Please continue, even the piling-on is interesting. Now it's time to listen to my vintage LPs... ; )

#24 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,853 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:19 PM

There is no such thing as pre-1994 Directv receivers, its year they first came out. In the OP's post, its pre-2004 receivers.

Thanks Edmund - edited to correct. Some typo, eh?

#25 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,853 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:23 PM

Whew! More responses than I imagined. Thanks all for your input.

As for my trepidation, I don't want to use a pre-leased receiver.

Now back to my vinyl LPs... ; )

The only way

Well, leased receivers are replaced at no cost (if you have protection plan) or for cost of shipping (about $20) if you don't. Cost to replace owned is whatever you have to pay to buy (or lease) another receiver. So with leased, you won't get obsoleted. However, to each their own, and there are some arguments for owning (which is becoming hard to do).

As to vinyl LPs, they do sound good to me (as long as you are careful and don't get them scratched).

#26 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:31 PM

Well, leased receivers are replaced at no cost (if you have protection plan) or for cost of shipping (about $20) if you don't. Cost to replace owned is whatever you have to pay to buy (or lease) another receiver. So with leased, you won't get obsoleted. However, to each their own, and there are some arguments for owning (which is becoming hard to do).

As to vinyl LPs, they do sound good to me (as long as you are careful and don't get them scratched).

Not true receivers are replaced whether leased or owned ....if one has the protection plan then owned receivers are replced as owned...otherwise any receiver will be replaced for S/H $19.95
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#27 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:55 PM

Both sat companies been discovered by us, customers, have some sort of 'miracle' trigger in their databases what will often assign 'leased' status to your owned box. :(
If you don't keep paper trail or eBays snapshots, you are SOL !

#28 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,755 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:08 PM

Both sat companies been discovered by us, customers, have some sort of 'miracle' trigger in their databases what will often assign 'leased' status to your owned box. :(

In my case it was the opposite happened, I had three leased receivers suddenly become owned. Had two r16's sd dvrs and sd r22 all changed out the blue to owned. i didn't complain. :)
aka Tivoburkee

#29 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:13 PM

Another 'miraculous' event. Sadly, such one happening 1:1000000.

#30 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,755 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:29 PM

Oh i'm lying, last post I'll see of yours, you on ignore!
aka Tivoburkee

#31 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:56 PM

H20's were only available to purchase thru big box stores for a short time way back in about 2005, so by 2006 or so all receivers purchased from big box stores were leased...so you may want to check if you really *own* that H20. You also should have activated it within 30 days of original purchase IIRC how it used to work. Truthfully what you paid back in 1994 for a receiver is completely irrelevent, electronics have been getting cheaper since virtually the invention of electronics. Truthfully I wish they would have started to obsolete that MPEG2 crap a while ago. Its holding them back from moving forward, let alone they could add many many more channels with the bandwidth savings moving everything over to MPEG4. Embrace the change, be thankful they are offering you a free upgrade.

#32 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:17 AM

let alone they could add many many more channels

That's unfounded statement - releasing MPEG-1.5 channels/tpns (DTV is not using real MPEG-2) will not give "many many channels" as the 101W is holding maximum number of SD for legacy boxes. Hence the ugly look of over-compressed SD channels there.
In case if you expecting HD, the number will be decreasing. Dramatically.
119W is not that good for retrofitting either. As Ka sats.

#33 OFFLINE   BrucePadgett

BrucePadgett

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:07 AM

CCarncross, I intentionally bought the H20 days before the changeover to leased-only status. In fact, after the deadline I asked a salesperson if they had yet begun informing DirecTV of every now-supposed "lease". I was given a definitive "no". This was then confirmed by a supervisor.

I suppose at some point appropriate reportage commenced. BTW this all happened at a branch of a very, very big-box dealer.

#34 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 234 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:51 AM

CCarncross, I intentionally bought the H20 days before the changeover to leased-only status. In fact, after the deadline I asked a salesperson if they had yet begun informing DirecTV of every now-supposed "lease". I was given a definitive "no". This was then confirmed by a supervisor.

I suppose at some point appropriate reportage commenced. BTW this all happened at a branch of a very, very big-box dealer.

I hope you at least activated it once first. I don't doubt you bought it before leasing started, but if you never activated it, you may have a hard time activating it without a commitment and it being marked as leased.
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#35 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:05 AM

sorry to disagree with you, but have had it happen on a replaced owned reciever, 10 minute call to access card department resolved the issue and the newly leased reciever was corrected to owned by them with a few clicks of the keyboard. No documentation required, everything was in their system

#36 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

BTW, pretty much every H20 from back then, were the original H20-600's which I believe were all recalled due to an overheating problem(PSU issue I think), and repaired and marked with a green eco 2.0 sticker on the bottom. I had one as my 1st HD receiver, that I bought a few months before they went lease only in Mar 2006. The caveat when you bought from big box stores back then is you HAD to activate them within 30 days. You didnt say one way or another but based on the rest of your post I'm guessing you never activated it, hence the confusion some of us are getting from your OP. Also was confusing that you said you bought it "a few years ago", but they have been lease only since Mar 2006, more than 6 years ago, which is usually considered more than "a few". Best for you is to call and try and see if you can even activate it, I give you 1 in 3 odds at best.

#37 OFFLINE   wcalifas254

wcalifas254

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:48 AM

Well some of the legacy receivers have been obsolete for some time already. Some of them don't get all the ppv's and sports (i.e. sunday ticket, mlb, nba). Probably some of the other legacy receivers will also lose more channels. I still have a few hughes receivers but haven't received that e mail about replacing mine.

#38 OFFLINE   BrucePadgett

BrucePadgett

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:31 PM

I never activated it; I had actually intended to use it solely for its OTA tuner. Back in early 2006 the H20 was noted for the high quality of the OTA tuner's chip. After that plan didn't pan out, I held on to it for eventual use as a replacement for the Sony, if and when necessary.

That's where I'm currently at. I rather ignorantly was not aware of the 30-day activation rule, so my impending call to DirecTV should prove interesting.

Oy vey.

#39 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:41 PM

I wonder what is DirecTV up to if this is true....:confused:

Let's start from scratch here. This email references the old SD receivers only that use an older on screen guide standard. The H20 is not in play here.
These are the old receivers without RIDs, very limited memory, etc. These are the gen 1 and gen 2 receivers, the vast vast vast majority of them actually older than 2000 that require a separate guide, separate resources, separate bandwidth for that guide, etc, etc. Those are being phased out and thus the email. Easy way to tell, if you can't see channels in the 700's then you have one of these receivers. If your local channels are in the 800's or 900's, that's the receiver we are talking about.

To repeat, the H20 is not one of those receivers. The email should have only been sent to customers with only these old, legacy receivers on their account. Not sure why a customer with a H20 that is active would have received the email unless the H20 wasn't actually active on the account. If that is the case, then yes you could have received it.

Edited by Satelliteracer, 01 July 2012 - 09:53 PM.

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#40 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:49 PM

Well some of the legacy receivers have been obsolete for some time already. Some of them don't get all the ppv's and sports (i.e. sunday ticket, mlb, nba). Probably some of the other legacy receivers will also lose more channels. I still have a few hughes receivers but haven't received that e mail about replacing mine.

You will, trust me. Probably in a few weeks. They do this in waves so as not to have too many customers call at once, though with this situation there aren't that many customers that still have these receivers to begin with. Most of them are 1994-2001 receivers and as you correctly point out, technology has changed and advanced like everything else. Many customers that used to have those receivers have upgraded over the years to HD or a dvr that replaced these gen 1 \ 2 receivers.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

spam firewall