Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DTV: Legacy SD Receivers To Be Obsolete

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,334 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:42 PM

While I do love being a thrifty sort of person (my car is a '95 camero with less than 100k miles), I don't use monochrome monitors on my computers nor CRT monitors for that matter anymore. :)

At some point it just makes sense to move on. The newer units might use enough less energy than the cost of the upgrade... (especially if the units are free.) :)

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:34 PM

I have 6 Hughes SD-HBH receivers still active that were made in 2004. I wonder if they will qualify for replacement or are they just new enough to keep.

Those are fine
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

DIRECTV employee since May 2003.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views DO NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#53 OFFLINE   BrucePadgett

BrucePadgett

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:49 AM

Hey Tom, I resemble that remark! ; )

BTW I still use Advent speakers in my sound system--30 plus years and still going strong.
However, I'm sending this post on an iPad. Ooooh, cutting edge.

Bruce
Low tech and loving it?

#54 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:28 AM

I have three very old STBs in service. An old Hughes E11 (Silver Series) and two RCA DRD-420e boxes.

I also still have two R10 DirecTivos but I doubt if those are impacted by this.

I've actually been considering getting an HR34 and replacing all of the old legacy STBs with simple clients. I've been out of contract for 16 months. Maybe it's time to pull the trigger on that.

R10 not impacted

The DRD-420RE (that's the official designation) will be impacted but not until later in the year and next year.

Not sure about the E11.

Edited by Satelliteracer, 03 July 2012 - 11:53 AM.

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#55 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,515 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

Well ... since the service was originally released back in late 2000, I'll ask ... :)

Are Ultimate TV boxes affected?

#56 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

Well ... since the service was originally released back in late 2000, I'll ask ... :)

Are Ultimate TV boxes affected?

No issues with those
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#57 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:50 PM

R10 not impacted

The DRD-420RE (that's the official designation) will be impacted but not until later in the year and next year.

Not sure about the E11.

I'm not surprised about the R10s, but the E11 is so old it doesn't even support 4-digit channel numbers :lol:

It was part of my very first system, circa 1998. It actually has some cool features like color coded channels in the guide (e.g. Red=Movie channel) and what was called Turbo Tune (a tic-tac-toe matrix of 9 favorite channels you can tune to quickly) a version of which was eventually added to the HR2X firmware, accessed by pressing up-arrow.

But it is older than dirt. A good 2 -3 years older than the RCAs. From clear back in the Clinton administration.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#58 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

I'm not surprised about the R10s, but the E11 is so old it doesn't even support 4-digit channel numbers :lol:

It was part of my very first system, circa 1998. It actually has some cool features like color coded channels in the guide (e.g. Red=Movie channel) and what was called Turbo Tune (a tic-tac-toe matrix of 9 favorite channels you can tune to quickly) a version of which was eventually added to the HR2X firmware, accessed by pressing up-arrow.

But it is older than dirt. A good 2 -3 years older than the RCAs. From clear back in the Clinton administration.

Is it a HNS HIRD-E11N, then yes it is affected. I'm not familiar with just an E11. Sorry to be nit picky on these, there are so many models over the years that I need the exact model number. I suspect that is the one you are talking about and it will be on the list to be replaced.
DIRECTV employee

#59 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:53 AM

Is it a HNS HIRD-E11N, then yes it is affected. I'm not familiar with just an E11. Sorry to be nit picky on these, there are so many models over the years that I need the exact model number. I suspect that is the one you are talking about and it will be on the list to be replaced.

Yes, the manaul says HIRD-E11. I used to refer to it in the long form and so many other referred to it as simply an "E11" I started using the abbreviated model numbre since the first part seemed to be a pretty obvious abbreviation for "Hughes IRD" with E11 being the 'operative' part of the model number.

Thanks. I completely understand your attention to detail if you are providing information to others. You wouldn't want to disseminate something that was inaccurate and have folks relying on it.

That, and some folks can turn on you like jackals around here if you mess up or are a little off.

Jackals, I tells ya'! ;)
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#60 OFFLINE   wcalifas254

wcalifas254

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:45 PM

Anyone know if this will include legacy receivers with an APG guide that will be made obsolete? or just the pre-APG guide receivers?

#61 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,416 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:55 PM

Anyone know if this will include legacy receivers with an APG guide that will be made obsolete? or just the pre-APG guide receivers?

It's just the MPG (Master Program Guide) receivers. APG receivers are not going to be effected.

#62 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,010 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:11 PM

It's just the MPG (Master Program Guide) receivers. APG receivers are not going to be effected.

Are there any APG receivers without RIDs?

#63 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,416 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:26 PM

Are there any APG receivers without RIDs?

I know there are a few of the old TiVo's that do not have a RID.

As for the regular IRD's, I do not remember any APG's without a RID, but I reserve the right to be wrong on that one.

#64 OFFLINE   wcalifas254

wcalifas254

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

I think the Hughes Gaeboa might be APG receivers without RID's

#65 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,238 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:14 PM

Look above http://www.dbstalk.c...98&postcount=44

#66 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,118 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:45 AM

How much bandwidth will that save having to get rid of that old master program guide data?

Do you think some day they could phase out MPEG2 set tops? I would love to see better picture quality on channels I like to watch frequently like DIY Network, H2, BBC America, Fuse and the wife's Oxygen, Style, We.

The MPEG2 or MPEG 1.5 (if you want to call it that) quality is atrocious. It would be great if we could move all of 101 to MPEG4. Could have better quality in less footprint. More standby transponders for disaster recovery. More transponders for HD and other advanced services. The system would be in much better shape and it would follow a single standard (MPEG4) and would be simpler to support just one style of inventory and SWIM setups.

I know that would take a lot of work, but if you start now maybe you would have it done in the next 5 years?

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#67 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,238 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:49 AM

I see that tp24 on 119W as first attempt to convert Ku tpn to MPEG-4 using DVB-S2D 8PSK. It carry 5 HD channels now (really only two, but a replication of one to four PIDs do stress for whole bandwidth).

#68 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

DaBears

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:43 PM

How much bandwidth will that save having to get rid of that old master program guide data?

Do you think some day they could phase out MPEG2 set tops? I would love to see better picture quality on channels I like to watch frequently like DIY Network, H2, BBC America, Fuse and the wife's Oxygen, Style, We.

The MPEG2 or MPEG 1.5 (if you want to call it that) quality is atrocious. It would be great if we could move all of 101 to MPEG4. Could have better quality in less footprint. More standby transponders for disaster recovery. More transponders for HD and other advanced services. The system would be in much better shape and it would follow a single standard (MPEG4) and would be simpler to support just one style of inventory and SWIM setups.

I know that would take a lot of work, but if you start now maybe you would have it done in the next 5 years?

I'm betting that bandwidth isn't a primary driver for this, from the satellite perspective, but more of a resource and time investment that is no longer cost effective. The receivers are not being replaced with MPEG 4 receivers so this is not the start of an MPEG 4 transition.

#69 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,118 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

I'm betting that bandwidth isn't a primary driver for this, from the satellite perspective, but more of a resource and time investment that is no longer cost effective. The receivers are not being replaced with MPEG 4 receivers so this is not the start of an MPEG 4 transition.

That's odd. If your going to replace them then why not put mpeg4 boxes out there since they have been in production for so long... Spend time and effort once rather than twice.

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#70 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,238 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

They know how many SD boxes out there and do count money - we are speculating; so the your question/pitch is not well funded.

#71 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,118 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:22 PM

They know how many SD boxes out there and do count money - we are speculating; so the your question/pitch is not well funded.

I know your right It seems asinine from the outside looking in. Not something I would do, but then I don't run a DBS provider either.

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#72 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,238 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

They developing/have/correcting own plans. We would be lucky to just make right guess. Nothing else.

#73 OFFLINE   BrucePadgett

BrucePadgett

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

Got a call this week from DirecTV informing us that the legacy receivers will be phased out by Dec. 31 of this year. I personally didn't take the call, but now I at least know the definitive drop-dead date for my Sony.

#74 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:59 PM

As for the regular IRD's, I do not remember any APG's without a RID, but I reserve the right to be wrong on that one.

My hughes e86 manual:

The most powerful feature of the HD receiver is the DIRECTV Advanced Program Guide™

Edited by Davenlr, 05 July 2012 - 08:06 PM.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#75 OFFLINE   wcalifas254

wcalifas254

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

so are people being offered an owned for an owned receiver? Or what's the deal with this?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...