Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DTV: Legacy SD Receivers To Be Obsolete

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,406 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:55 PM

Anyone know if this will include legacy receivers with an APG guide that will be made obsolete? or just the pre-APG guide receivers?

It's just the MPG (Master Program Guide) receivers. APG receivers are not going to be effected.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,115 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:11 PM

It's just the MPG (Master Program Guide) receivers. APG receivers are not going to be effected.

Are there any APG receivers without RIDs?

#63 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,406 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:26 PM

Are there any APG receivers without RIDs?

I know there are a few of the old TiVo's that do not have a RID.

As for the regular IRD's, I do not remember any APG's without a RID, but I reserve the right to be wrong on that one.

#64 OFFLINE   wcalifas254

wcalifas254

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

I think the Hughes Gaeboa might be APG receivers without RID's

#65 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:14 PM

Anyone know if this will include legacy receivers with an APG guide that will be made obsolete? or just the pre-APG guide receivers?

Look above http://www.dbstalk.c...98&postcount=44

#66 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:45 AM

How much bandwidth will that save having to get rid of that old master program guide data?

Do you think some day they could phase out MPEG2 set tops? I would love to see better picture quality on channels I like to watch frequently like DIY Network, H2, BBC America, Fuse and the wife's Oxygen, Style, We.

The MPEG2 or MPEG 1.5 (if you want to call it that) quality is atrocious. It would be great if we could move all of 101 to MPEG4. Could have better quality in less footprint. More standby transponders for disaster recovery. More transponders for HD and other advanced services. The system would be in much better shape and it would follow a single standard (MPEG4) and would be simpler to support just one style of inventory and SWIM setups.

I know that would take a lot of work, but if you start now maybe you would have it done in the next 5 years?

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#67 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:49 AM

I see that tp24 on 119W as first attempt to convert Ku tpn to MPEG-4 using DVB-S2D 8PSK. It carry 5 HD channels now (really only two, but a replication of one to four PIDs do stress for whole bandwidth).

#68 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:43 PM

How much bandwidth will that save having to get rid of that old master program guide data?

Do you think some day they could phase out MPEG2 set tops? I would love to see better picture quality on channels I like to watch frequently like DIY Network, H2, BBC America, Fuse and the wife's Oxygen, Style, We.

The MPEG2 or MPEG 1.5 (if you want to call it that) quality is atrocious. It would be great if we could move all of 101 to MPEG4. Could have better quality in less footprint. More standby transponders for disaster recovery. More transponders for HD and other advanced services. The system would be in much better shape and it would follow a single standard (MPEG4) and would be simpler to support just one style of inventory and SWIM setups.

I know that would take a lot of work, but if you start now maybe you would have it done in the next 5 years?

I'm betting that bandwidth isn't a primary driver for this, from the satellite perspective, but more of a resource and time investment that is no longer cost effective. The receivers are not being replaced with MPEG 4 receivers so this is not the start of an MPEG 4 transition.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#69 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,852 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

I'm betting that bandwidth isn't a primary driver for this, from the satellite perspective, but more of a resource and time investment that is no longer cost effective. The receivers are not being replaced with MPEG 4 receivers so this is not the start of an MPEG 4 transition.

That's odd. If your going to replace them then why not put mpeg4 boxes out there since they have been in production for so long... Spend time and effort once rather than twice.

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#70 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

They know how many SD boxes out there and do count money - we are speculating; so the your question/pitch is not well funded.

#71 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,852 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:22 PM

They know how many SD boxes out there and do count money - we are speculating; so the your question/pitch is not well funded.

I know your right It seems asinine from the outside looking in. Not something I would do, but then I don't run a DBS provider either.

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#72 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

They developing/have/correcting own plans. We would be lucky to just make right guess. Nothing else.

#73 OFFLINE   BrucePadgett

BrucePadgett

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

Got a call this week from DirecTV informing us that the legacy receivers will be phased out by Dec. 31 of this year. I personally didn't take the call, but now I at least know the definitive drop-dead date for my Sony.

#74 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:59 PM

As for the regular IRD's, I do not remember any APG's without a RID, but I reserve the right to be wrong on that one.

My hughes e86 manual:

The most powerful feature of the HD receiver is the DIRECTV Advanced Program Guide™

Edited by Davenlr, 05 July 2012 - 08:06 PM.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#75 OFFLINE   wcalifas254

wcalifas254

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

so are people being offered an owned for an owned receiver? Or what's the deal with this?

#76 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:35 PM

I would THINK any swap outs would be for MPEG-4 receivers at this point. Not to start the MPEG-4 transition, but what would the price difference really be to swap all of these old receivers (That they're going to swap anyway right now) to MPEG-4, as compared to sending out MPEG-2 receivers now, and then MPEG-4 receivers again down the road. Just the fact that these people still have these shows they're probably not going to upgrade to MPEG-4 on their own.

#77 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:24 PM

so are people being offered an owned for an owned receiver? Or what's the deal with this?

No it will be leased...but no difference in how it is handled other than you must return it if you leave or disconnect it
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#78 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:27 PM

I would THINK any swap outs would be for MPEG-4 receivers at this point. Not to start the MPEG-4 transition, but what would the price difference really be to swap all of these old receivers (That they're going to swap anyway right now) to MPEG-4, as compared to sending out MPEG-2 receivers now, and then MPEG-4 receivers again down the road. Just the fact that these people still have these shows they're probably not going to upgrade to MPEG-4 on their own.

I'm pretty sure that with the exception of a few LIL markets that SD is still delivered exclusively in MPEG2 on the 101.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#79 OFFLINE   wcalifas254

wcalifas254

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:55 AM

So with these receivers being obsolete after december 31st. Will they not be able to get channels or just not get anything on their guides?

#80 OFFLINE   LynnW

LynnW

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:02 AM

I have two Sony receivers which will need to be replaced. Is there any chance that DirecTV might replace the two with a single HD receiver? I no longer need two receivers. Should I call the receiver replacement number, or would it be better to call customer retention. I've read on this forum that some people hae gotten deals from the card access department.

I am also considering going to U-verse. My neighbor's tree has grown to block the line of sight and I am getting little to no signal strength. It might be easier and cheaper to go with U-verse than to get the dish moved to the roof. I would prefer to stay with DirecTV.

I have been with DirecTV since 1996. I have the original Total Choice package and have the Sports package. I have called customer service exactly three times in 16 years. Once to start Game Plan and again to drop it when I started working weekends. The other time was to drop Starz/Encore which I never watched. I have never asked or received any discounts. I have been on auto pay since its inception.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...