Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DTV: Legacy SD Receivers To Be Obsolete

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:29 AM

I have two Sony receivers which will need to be replaced. Is there any chance that DirecTV might replace the two with a single HD receiver? I no longer need two receivers. Should I call the receiver replacement number, or would it be better to call customer retention. I've read on this forum that some people hae gotten deals from the card access department.

I am also considering going to U-verse. My neighbor's tree has grown to block the line of sight and I am getting little to no signal strength. It might be easier and cheaper to go with U-verse than to get the dish moved to the roof. I would prefer to stay with DirecTV.

I have been with DirecTV since 1996. I have the original Total Choice package and have the Sports package. I have called customer service exactly three times in 16 years. Once to start Game Plan and again to drop it when I started working weekends. The other time was to drop Starz/Encore which I never watched. I have never asked or received any discounts. I have been on auto pay since its inception.

Welcome to dbstalk, Lynn. I think you'll find it an interesting discussion and valuable resource on all things DirecTV.

I had wondered also about whether or not DirecTV might offer some sort of tradeoff or partial credit if we choose to upgrade the obsolete SD receivers to some sort of HD equipment.

I have three SD receivers due to be obsolete by the end of the year. Since I am moving toward a Whole Home DVR installation a few pieces at a time I would be interested in replacing these obsolete units with HD client boxes that would work with WHDVR. I'm waiting until they tell me the life of these boxes is over before I broach the issue with DirecTV.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,988 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:42 AM

The old/legacy DTV receivers has some value - after reprogramming they could be used in Latin America, where DTV has growing business.

#83 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 471 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:00 AM

The old/legacy DTV receivers has some value - after reprogramming they could be used in Latin America, where DTV has growing business.

The difference being these receivers are almost exclusively owned by the client. It's not D*'s property to redistribute.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#84 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,988 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

They could follow dish - give $10 credit to your subscription for each returned IRD. Still ripoff ...

#85 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:55 PM

I wonder what is DirecTV up to if this is true....:confused:

They are dropping the old style program guide. In 2004 they introduced the "advanced program guide". The old guide only kept 2 hours of programming in the receiver. If you wanted more, you had to wait a few seconds while "retrieving program guide" appeared onscreen. In total, you could get up to 38 hours of programming (six 6-hour blocks plus the two hours the receiver always had in it's memory)

The "advanced program guide" sends out about four hours of programming via a high-speed data stream and up to the next 14 days via a slow speed data stream. Different receivers store different amounts of this data in memory from simple SD boxes (3 days) to some older RCA units (5 days) to the DVR'S which store the data on a hard drive (the full 14 days).

The abbreviated data is always viewable since that is what the receiver is getting while you see "receiving satellite data" onscreen after a receiver restart. DVR's keep the full 14 days of data stored in a "cache" file on the hard drive so you get all of the data when you restart these receivers.

To clear this cache (if it seems to be corrupted or for your own curiosity), restart your DVR TWICE within 30 minutes and you will see the 4 hours of high speed data when the receiver restarts and must wait up to 48 hours for all the data to be received.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#86 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:59 PM

You will, trust me. Probably in a few weeks. They do this in waves so as not to have too many customers call at once, though with this situation there aren't that many customers that still have these receivers to begin with. Most of them are 1994-2001 receivers and as you correctly point out, technology has changed and advanced like everything else. Many customers that used to have those receivers have upgraded over the years to HD or a dvr that replaced these gen 1 \ 2 receivers.

I'm eagerly awaiting the email. I still have my ORIGINAL Hughes box on my account which I first activated in 2000. It is used strictly for listening to DMX (Sonic Tap) since it continuously displays the song data (no irritating "screen saver")

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#87 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:04 PM

Are there any APG receivers without RIDs?

You bet. I have an RCA which was one of the FIRST receivers with the APG. It stores 5 days of programming data but doesn't have an RID. It is model DRD450RGA.

But if DirecTV is offering a FREE upgrade with NO contract extension... :D

I wonder if this fantastic upgrade will be OWNED or LEASED???

#88 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:45 PM

You bet. I have an RCA which was one of the FIRST receivers with the APG. It stores 5 days of programming data but doesn't have an RID. It is model DRD450RGA.

But if DirecTV is offering a FREE upgrade with NO contract extension... :D

I wonder if this fantastic upgrade will be OWNED or LEASED???

Leased
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#89 OFFLINE   mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:39 PM

I have a couple of Philips DSR6000's which I know do not have RID numbers. Will they be impacted by this?

Dave

#90 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:14 PM

Considering all of the technological improvements, why are you complaining?

Well for me,I DONT WANT ONE OF THIER NEW PIECE OF GARBAGE BOXS THATS WHY!!!!!

I have a 2nd gen plain SD reciever i got many years ago,NO HD,NO DVR,none of that garbage.... AND I DONT WANT IT!!!

In my opinion i have the BEST box i could ever have as far as response,etc.......

I will keep it as long as I can!!! (Less cancel service after 12 years)

#91 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:18 PM

)

You have been ranting for hours...Valium is cheap, and readily available from your nearby physician. Maybe it would make you feel less...stressed?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#92 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 901 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:20 PM

I have a 2nd gen plain SD reciever i got many years ago,NO HD,NO DVR,none of that garbage.... AND I DONT WANT IT!!!

In my opinion i have the BEST box i could ever have as far as response,etc.......

Well you can keep it forever! You won't be able to watch anything on it in a few months, but it's yours!
A free D12 awaits you if you ever decide to call.
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#93 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:41 AM

I have a couple of Philips DSR6000's which I know do not have RID numbers. Will they be impacted by this?

Dave

I'll double check for you but it's a TiVo so it should be fine due to TiVo's guide data.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#94 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,335 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:34 AM

And if you take the D12 you still won't have those. I don't think DirecTV even writes the software for them (handled by NDS.)

#95 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,229 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:57 AM

I'll double check for you but it's a TiVo so it should be fine due to TiVo's guide data.

TIVO's guide data is carried in the satellite stream? :confused:

#96 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:59 AM

TIVO's guide data is carried in the satellite stream? :confused:

Always has been for the DirecTivos.

#97 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,229 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:22 AM

Always has been for the DirecTivos.

I always thought the DTIVOs had to be designed to function with DIRECTV's MPT or APG like all other receivers. Not have a separate guide stream from TIVO's servers like the one which services their STB and CATV DVRs over the phone or internet also sent over the satellite.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...