Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New/TV Surround sound Question

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fingerstyle

fingerstyle

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:05 AM

My current TV is a big old ( 7+years) projection set. It is hooked to my surround sound system. The sound is OK but not great and I wonder if that's due in part to the "sound processing stuff" in the TV.

I'm replace this TV soon-will the new TV with new technology have a difference or is the audio signal just passed through?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:15 AM

Try connecting your sound system directly to your receiver and see if there is an improvement/change in the quality.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#3 OFFLINE   fingerstyle

fingerstyle

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:19 AM

Thanks for the quick response but I'm not sure what you mean. I have the audio outputs from the TV going directly to the receiver.

#4 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,537 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:31 AM

Connect the audio from your DirecTV receiver to your a/v receiver.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#5 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:50 AM

Connect the audio from your DirecTV receiver to your a/v receiver.

HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#6 OFFLINE   fingerstyle

fingerstyle

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:02 AM

Tried that...The sound is better going directly from DTV box to Audio receiver but I lose the ability to control volume with the DTV remote and because of the configuration of the room the audio receiver is behind me.

Still wondering if a new TV will effect the quality of sound.

#7 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:51 AM

I doubt it, but you as others alluded to, using the sound out from your TV is a bad idea to begin with. Spend $50 - $100 and get a universal remote.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#8 OFFLINE   John Williams

John Williams

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:52 PM

As a rule of thumb, you do NOT connect the audio out from the TV to your audio surround receiver. The only exception to this is for built in apps and/or tuner being used in the TV.
Bad things usually happen to the audio signal trying to route it this way.

As far as control. If you have a TV, audio amp, and a source component (i.e. cable, sat, DVD, etc...). Then a universal remote is a given! You are shooting yourself in the foot without one. Case in point: trying to hook things up in a detrimental manner to performnace, just to make a silly DirecTV remote work everything.

#9 OFFLINE   John Williams

John Williams

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:32 PM

As a side note (and I know it's because your original question had nothing to do with it): You haven't really told us anything about your setup. Being this is obviously a very DIY setup, I'm concerned you have a lot more wrong in your setup than just the above.
If you want some professional advice on the whole setup, just post everything. Everything being what equipment is being used, it's location, and how it's hooked up.

#10 OFFLINE   fingerstyle

fingerstyle

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:08 AM

Thanks to all...I went back again and hooked the Audio receiver directly to the HR 20 DTV box. Big difference in sound. Today I will try using an A/B box to see if I can tie in the DVD player. The audio receiver is a Sony..the DTV remote works the box/tv/receiver-what else would I need?

#11 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:41 AM

Is the Sony a STEREO or Audio/Video (A/V) receiver? You said 'surround' so assume it's an AV receiver.
A/V receivers generally have places to connect up DVD players so your switching is done via the receiver. There would be a single video output to the TV.

If you don't want a universal remote, you could consider a IR extender for the receiver. It would move the IR input to somewhere in front or near you.

#12 OFFLINE   fingerstyle

fingerstyle

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:55 AM

Yes sorry Sony AV . Because of room configuration TV and receiver aren't near each other. All wiring goes infer the floor and back up to receiver on other side of room. A/B box seems to be the solution

#13 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:22 AM

Can't you put the DVD player back by the receiver?

As to what else you would need, a universal remote would allow you to access the DVD player as well (and anything else you own).

#14 OFFLINE   fingerstyle

fingerstyle

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

I could move it but that would mean running video lines back to the TV. I have an A/B box That should work

#15 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:08 AM

So, the directv receiver, TV, and DVD player are together, but your AV Receiver is across the room?

#16 OFFLINE   fingerstyle

fingerstyle

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:43 AM

Yes. Had to be done that way.

#17 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,429 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:50 AM

From the conversation so far, it appears you have an A/V receiver that is not located by the TV and other equipment. That is giving you trouble from the get-bo.
Also, you've been asked to list your equipment. As previously stated, make and model number is what we're asking you for. That helps us give informed answers to your questions.
Ideally, with a home theater system,all components should be located together, with the obvious exceptions of speakers and a projector. If your receiver is located across the room from the rest of your system, you are forced to use long cables, which degrade sound and/or video quality.
Start over again, listing all your components.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#18 OFFLINE   fingerstyle

fingerstyle

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:29 PM

Yup I get the long cables mean loss of signal part but for several reasons putting the receiver ( and other stuff like CD player turntable) on the other side of the room was the only way to do this and have anything at all..

All I am looking for is the best sound I can get with what I am dealing with.

The DTV box is an HR20-700, Receiver is Sony STR-DE898- As I said the TV is being replaced soon but I do not know what it will be. Speakers are Polk Audio except for Sub Woofer

Using an A?B box to switch between TV and DVD is not a problem

#19 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:54 PM

What cables do you currently have going from the back of the room to the front of the room?

#20 OFFLINE   fingerstyle

fingerstyle

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

Coax .......

spam firewall