Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Only one HMC?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nelsonrl

nelsonrl

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:58 AM

I just tried to order a second Hmc receiver. my plan was to replace 2 receivers with the second Hmc receiver. I directv told me only one per home? Do I just need to keep calling until I find someone willing to sell me another one? I see no technical reason for two HMC's not working, but could be wrong.

Any thoughts? I paid 199 for the first so was hoping to get the second one for the same.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:14 AM

I think they are only allowing one per account for now. As an aside, you would need a swm16 switch to use two HR34s.

#3 OFFLINE   moghedien

moghedien

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:24 AM

Do you have the SWM-16 installed? Because the SWM-line LNB and the SWM-8 only support 8 tuners. That might be why you were refused.

Can you go into more detail about your setup?

#4 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,180 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:29 AM

There is currently a restriction to 1. Some were lucky to have added prior. Not sure why the restriction for now.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#5 OFFLINE   raromr

raromr

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:58 AM

I tried and for a time had two. D found out and deactivated one of the 34s and made me send back. I have tried often to order another and was rejected. I got a call from D and was told they scan accounts and if they see 2 34s they deactivate one. Not sure if it is true but may not be worth the risk. No technical reason to not allow two. They claim it is because the 34 is so new it has handshake issues when paired with other 34s.

#6 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:04 AM

They better fix this! I have plans to add an additional HR34 once I can afford it. Did they at least refund the lease fee you paid for it? In THAT instance, I would think they should!

#7 OFFLINE   nelsonrl

nelsonrl

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:01 PM

Do you have the SWM-16 installed? Because the SWM-line LNB and the SWM-8 only support 8 tuners. That might be why you were refused.

Can you go into more detail about your setup?

I have a HR34 and two HR24-700's. The problem I have is one of my TV's went out and I don't want to replace it right now. So end result is I have one HR 24 that I cannot completely control. Can do a little through the Ipad app, but not everything. What i am trying to do is replace both of my HR24's with the second HR34 so would end up with the ability to,record the same number of programs as 8 can today, just have one less TV and DVR.

Guess I will just move one of the HR24's downstairs and have two Dvr's on one TV.

Edited by nelsonrl, 30 June 2012 - 03:06 PM.
typo

#8 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:56 PM

I tried and for a time had two. D found out and deactivated one of the 34s and made me send back. I have tried often to order another and was rejected. I got a call from D and was told they scan accounts and if they see 2 34s they deactivate one. Not sure if it is true but may not be worth the risk. No technical reason to not allow two. They claim it is because the 34 is so new it has handshake issues when paired with other 34s.

Not sure this is the case. As I remember, there's more to the story than this. You got two HR34s because of an error by direcTV. They won't allow you to order a second one.
But I believe there is nothing to stop you having two HR34s, but you would need to get the second from another source (web supplier for example).

#9 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,389 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:24 PM

But I believe there is nothing to stop you having two HR34s, but you would need to get the second from another source (web supplier for example).

Solid Signal web site says "DIRECTV Only authorizes one HR34 per account."

Solid Signal Link

#10 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,496 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:43 PM

It's very possible they won't allow you to activate it.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#11 OFFLINE   nelsonrl

nelsonrl

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:32 PM

Thanks. i will wait until they officially allow two..

#12 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:39 PM

We do however know that several people do have two HR34s and they were activated OK....

#13 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,496 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:23 PM

I believe they were all activated before the "only one" policy took effect.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#14 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:00 PM

We do however know that several people do have two HR34s and they were activated OK....

They are being audited and disconnected for whatever reason...
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#15 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:04 PM

They need to fix this. There are families (Mine included) that do not want one consolidated playlist. It's not even adult things I'm talking about. My uncle and his wife watch COMPLETELY different programs than I do. When I want to watch something, I don't want to wade through all of their programs to find something I want to watch. They don't want to wade through all of my programs either.

#16 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:05 PM

They are being audited and disconnected for whatever reason...

Are you saying they are disconnecting the second boxes the customer bought (and in many cases had installed) by private satellite dealers? If so, they would be in for a world of hurt if I was one of the customers they disconnected. Unfortunately I could only afford one.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#17 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:09 PM

Are you saying they are disconnecting the second boxes the customer bought (and in many cases had installed) by private satellite dealers? If so, they would be in for a world of hurt if I was one of the customers they disconnected. Unfortunately I could only afford one.

That's what I'm wondering-did they at least refund the lease fee? Nobody has said either way yet. And I'm not talking in $5 monthly credits. If Directv allowed it to be activated in the first place, and then decided after hand that they won't allow it, they SHOULD be refunding the lease fee all at once, in one lump sum, preferably with the customer's choice of a check or account credit.
I did just check soldsignal.com and they have stated that Directv only allows one HR34 per account, so at THIS point, if you try and order one, I can see it as being the customer's fault for not reading, but the $399 should still be returned.

#18 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:16 PM

I did just check soldsignal.com and they have stated that Directv only allows one HR34 per account, so at THIS point, if you try and order one, I can see it as being the customer's fault for not reading, but the $399 should still be returned.

I went to get some green label splitters at the local custom satellite installation dealer in town, and we got to talking. He said he is selling Hopper/Joey systems at a 10:1 ratio to the HR34/H25 systems. I asked him why, and he said it was the fact DirecTv in most cases wont come off the $399 lease fee, even for new customers going through his business, and only allow one per account, whereas Dish allows multiple Hoppers and will give the first one to new customers free. Given the choice of Free vs $399, 9 out of 10 customers are signing up with Dish.

He said they wont even discount one for HIM, but that he thought the HR34 was a more versatile box, and thought DirecTv was the better service...so he wasnt a D* hater.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#19 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:17 PM

Yes....it has been a known fact for employees and distributers since the inception of the 34 that only one would allowed per household....of course you have some people that like money and sell regardless..that combined with hapless CSR's = loss of $399.....and no it's not refunded
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#20 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:20 PM

Yes....it has been a known fact for employees and distributers since the inception of the 34 that only one would allowed per household....of course you have some people that like money and sell regardless..that combined with hapless CSR's = loss of $399.....and no it's not refunded

If I purchased a 2nd HR34 and was not specifically told at the time of purchase I was not allowed to have 2 on my account, I would be getting a refund from SOMEBODY. I would be talking to the company I bought it from, talking to Directv retention, and that IS something I would leave over, ETF or not. And I would NOT pay the ETF.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...