Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The newb was scared last night!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   directv newb

directv newb

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:06 PM

well, being a super newb who is head over heals in love with my new aquisiton(directv) I was sooo scared last night here in Columbus, OH. I watched the storm on internet radar literally come into my neighborhood, BUT when it hit I had no idea it was going to be like a hurricane. I was so scared of my dish coming of the roof, I gave myself an anxiety attack. I watched a giant oak tree in my neighbors yard crack and fall over, but when the storm ended, the satellite was perfectly up on the roof and I then turned all my electronics on and my directv fired up perfectly. If that satellite dish could get thru yesterday, it ain't coming off!!!! I am so in love wth directv that I keep having these anxiety episodes that it isn't going to last or something is going to happen, but i do take meds for anxiety so I guess that is just me:)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,849 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:13 PM

Welcome to DirecTV and to DBSTalk.

A properly installed dish can take a lot, but not everything. Glad your dish held in there.

#3 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:31 PM

well, being a super newb who is head over heals in love with my new aquisiton(directv) I was sooo scared last night here in Columbus, OH. I watched the storm on internet radar literally come into my neighborhood, BUT when it hit I had no idea it was going to be like a hurricane. I was so scared of my dish coming of the roof, I gave myself an anxiety attack. I watched a giant oak tree in my neighbors yard crack and fall over, but when the storm ended, the satellite was perfectly up on the roof and I then turned all my electronics on and my directv fired up perfectly. If that satellite dish could get thru yesterday, it ain't coming off!!!! I am so in love wth directv that I keep having these anxiety episodes that it isn't going to last or something is going to happen, but i do take meds for anxiety so I guess that is just me:)

I live in North Carolina, where we actually do have hurricanes - not as bad as Florida, but worse than Georgia and South Carolina. My dish has never been damaged by hurricanes. I cannot say the same for the trees in my yard, but after 13 years with DirecTV, the dish is still there. What is really amazing is that because hurricanes come from the east or southeast, I have watched weather updates on DirecTV all the way up until I lost electricity during hurricanes. I do have signal loss from time to time during regular thunderstorms, because they come from the southwest, but I have never lost signal during a hurricane or tropical storm.

#4 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:04 AM

I have had DirecTV since 1996, with three different dishes. Yesterday was the first time I ever had a problem. Winds were reported to be over 100 MPH, and it shifted the tilt on the dish's angle by 2 degrees, which knocked out a few channels. As there is major damage all over, DirecTV was booked up for repair calls for several days, so I tried to fix it my self, which, to my surprise, I was able to do on the first try.

#5 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:02 AM

I'm in Oklahoma where we get some pretty bad stuff - had a storm that took down a 75 year-old oak tree behind the house and skimmed the siding off the north side of the house. I had been playing gamelounge directly prior to the boom of the tree coming down and apparently it never went down, cos when I came back from surveying the damage, it was still showing my score.

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#6 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 453 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

We had winds yesterday that were clocked at 70-90 mph. My power was still out when I left for work this morning, but I expect there to be no problems when I get to plug everything back in.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

spam firewall