Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish 8VSB Module Vs. Name Brands

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Eagles

Eagles

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 12:41 PM

I just hooked up the OTA tuner on my 921. I live in a fringe area for OTA reception. At this point there is some software issues with the 921 as they apply to the operation of the OTA, but I'm not sure if they affect the ability of the receiver to lock onto a signal. I'm locking onto CBS, FOX with a consistent
80% +. ABC & NBC are about 60-65% and I can't stay locked. I'm hearing two different opinions on this situation. #1- Dish does not put much stock in the quality of their 8VSB module, and as a result more signal strength is needed for a lock as opposed to say a Samsung set top box which can lock consistently at a much lower SS (20-30%). #2-Dish 8VSB's are just as good, and the 20-30%
numbers on the Samsung are relatively the same as the 65-70% Dish numbers
Does anyone out there have any hands on experience actually swapping Dish with other name brands in an attempt to receive better OTA HDTV signals?
Any insight or thoughts on this would be very helpful. !pride

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 02:27 PM

No experience with the 811 or 921 but I have a 6000 w/8vsb and I have a Samsung T-151 OTA tuner. Hands down the Samsung outperforms the 6000, this is in a fringe area of Dallas. Both of these products are not current generation tuners so newer tuners should be better still. I just don't have a lot of confidence in DISH using the best quality components, they tend to like just good enough rather than first class.

#3 OFFLINE   Eagles

Eagles

Godfather/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 06:19 PM

No experience with the 811 or 921 but I have a 6000 w/8vsb and I have a Samsung T-151 OTA tuner. Hands down the Samsung outperforms the 6000, this is in a fringe area of Dallas. Both of these products are not current generation tuners so newer tuners should be better still. I just don't have a lot of confidence in DISH using the best quality components, they tend to like just good enough rather than first class.

boba-Thanks for the info. I am not surprised at this. If I still continue to have this problem after the software issue is resolved, I think I'm going to buy the Samsung and try them side by side. If I don't get the results from the Samsung I'll bring it back (30 days Circuit City). I'm about 50 miles south of DC. I was told by an OTA HDTV Tech that from my location with the antenna I'm using (Winegard HD9095P & AP4800 pre-amp) I should have no problem locking onto all DC & Baltimore networks. When I called this guy back
for some help with my reception problems he basically echoed your opinion
after he discovered I had a Dish Network 8VSB. Does the 6000 have a signal
strength indicator? If so do you have a number where the 6000 would no longer lock but the Samsung would? Thanks again. !pride

#4 Guest_belcherwm_*

Guest_belcherwm_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:43 PM

The 6000 locks at >50% if you have a steady signal, ie no fluctuations of 3%-5% or more usually caused by multipath. Signal meter is a measure of signal transmission errors rather than strength.

Get your antenna higher if you can, also wouldn't hurt to try without the preamp.

#5 OFFLINE   mofiz

mofiz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 10:50 PM

i have used em all dish 6000, 921, directv zenith 420,hughes e86, sony 200 smsung 150,151.....so far the best one is direc tvs sony hd200. with same configaration and coonection the sony gave me all the OTA ch...abc,cbs.nbc.fox,upn witout any problem. so to me the winner is sony hd200.

#6 OFFLINE   JohnC

JohnC

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 11:10 PM

I live 60 - 65 air miles from the Atlanta DTV stations and receive good reception on all the Atlanta full power (450 to 1,000 kw) UHF DTV stations using the 8VSB module in a 3 month old 6000 fed by a Winegard 9095P about 35 feet above ground level with a Radio Shack 30 DB UHF/VHF preamp and a Channel Master remote control rotor. The antenna is mounted from the ground and attached to the side of the house so that I can raise and lower it. The reception generally gets better as the antenna height is increased. This antenna is very directional with about a 5% signal decrease if the direction is about 3 degrees from optimum and 10% signal decrease (according to the on-screen meter) if the direction is about 6 degrees from optimum. I get a lock and a perfect signal with a strength of 48% or higher, frozen pizels at 47%, and nothing at 46% or below. Since the signal strength generally varies by about 4% over a period of minutes, the average signal strength has to be in the 52 to 55% range to obtain a perfect picture without dropouts. The UPN, PAX, and Fox stations are always perfect, WTBS and WB are usually perfect, ABC is generally perfect during night and mornings, but unwatchable during the afternoon. The CBS station currently has only a 45 KW power output and I receive it occassionally. I have a high band yagi (7-13) for NBC 10, but I have only received it once as it also has a relatively low output power (16 KW).

#7 OFFLINE   Eagles

Eagles

Godfather/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 12:05 AM

I live 60 - 65 air miles from the Atlanta DTV stations and receive good reception on all the Atlanta full power (450 to 1,000 kw) UHF DTV stations using the 8VSB module in a 3 month old 6000 fed by a Winegard 9095P about 35 feet above ground level with a Radio Shack 30 DB UHF/VHF preamp and a Channel Master remote control rotor. The antenna is mounted from the ground and attached to the side of the house so that I can raise and lower it. The reception generally gets better as the antenna height is increased. This antenna is very directional with about a 5% signal decrease if the direction is about 3 degrees from optimum and 10% signal decrease (according to the on-screen meter) if the direction is about 6 degrees from optimum. I get a lock and a perfect signal with a strength of 48% or higher, frozen pizels at 47%, and nothing at 46% or below. Since the signal strength generally varies by about 4% over a period of minutes, the average signal strength has to be in the 52 to 55% range to obtain a perfect picture without dropouts. The UPN, PAX, and Fox stations are always perfect, WTBS and WB are usually perfect, ABC is generally perfect during night and mornings, but unwatchable during the afternoon. The CBS station currently has only a 45 KW power output and I receive it occassionally. I have a high band yagi (7-13) for NBC 10, but I have only received it once as it also has a relatively low output power (16 KW).

JohnC-That sounds encouraging. Like I said I'm hoping some of the problems
I'm having with the 921 OTA reception are software related. I am also using a
9095P, but my pre amp is a Winegard AP4888. I'm about 50-55 miles south of DC. I've been told reception from my location should not be a problem. My 921 will lock on at 65%. Anything less it won't lock. I have some channels that are consistently 80% plus and fail to lock for timed recordings, but are OK for live viewing. Go figure. Also, I'm waiting on conformation on this: Some of the stations in my area are listed as 1000 KW erp on their digital antennas,
but that only indicates the max the FCC has licensed them for and what they capable of putting out. I was told by an engineer at WJLA-ABC7 in DC that
because of the cost involved in putting out full power and the relatively low
customer demand for digital reception at this time he was under the impression they currently braodcast as a much lower power level. He said this
may not be uncommon with alot of stations. Didn't I read on another thread that you had a 921. If so did you try OTA reception? !pride

#8 OFFLINE   billp

billp

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 01:52 PM

I'm having a similar problem. I get a good signal - 75% at the lowest and up to 93% at the highest. I'm 65 miles from the source in Boston. My problem is the 811 drops stations from the guide and then I can't get them back. The set-up works fine and shows their availalbility but I can't get them back onto the guide. I also tried to drop some OTA stations (shopping channels) and the guide won't drop them. I have been loosing an OTA station every couple of weeks since I got my 811. Any thoughts on this? Anyway to overide the system and just do this manually?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...