Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lakers New Regional TV Network - NOW ON THE AIR

• Please log in to reply
2096 replies to this topic

#2041 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

Anyone know about the deal between DIRECTV and TWC? I hope it's only one year. Lakers will be a .500 team by the end of the year. And Dwight will go to Dallas for less money. This team needs to start over.............and hopefully DIRECTV will bug out after this year.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2042 OFFLINE   Mike Al

Mike Al

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:46 AM

I would think that an agreement with Dish will not take to much longer.

Don't count on it. DISH declined to renew the contract of each RSN in the NY market (#1 in the country) as they came up for renewal. In fact they have never carried YES. Today DISH does not carry any NY RSN. I could see them doing the same in LA (#2 market).

#2043 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,742 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

Don't count on it. DISH declined to renew the contract of each RSN in the NY market (#1 in the country) as they came up for renewal. In fact they have never carried YES. Today DISH does not carry any NY RSN. I could see them doing the same in LA (#2 market).

Yeah , if anything, they are more likely to not renew fsnw and pt at this point., IMHO.

#2044 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,742 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

Anyone know about the deal between DIRECTV and TWC? I hope it's only one year. Lakers will be a .500 team by the end of the year. And Dwight will go to Dallas for less money. This team needs to start over.............and hopefully DIRECTV will bug out after this year.

!rolling. Thanks for the laugh!

#2045 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 644 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

!rolling. Thanks for the laugh!

+1 :lol:

I personaly think a 1st class channel like TWCSN has non Laker fans jealous. Gotta be, only justification possible... It's a great channel. Did YES catch this kind of BS in the beginning? Did they carry other sports at the beginning? I think I've seen EPL, Nets basketball while scrolling the guide...sorry, I'm not a YES viewer, but I am pleased NY has this available on Directv...or any provider really. A channel with such focus on a storied franchise...fantastic!

#2046 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,267 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:41 AM

Saw a report today that the dodgers are staying with Fox.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#2047 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

Here is a link:

http://www.deadline....done-by-nov-30/

#2048 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,742 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

I don't buy the its dead if you don't sign by the end of the exclusive window. It's a play. It may however work, we will see.

#2049 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,048 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

+1 :lol:

I personaly think a 1st class channel like TWCSN has non Laker fans jealous. Gotta be, only justification possible... It's a great channel. Did YES catch this kind of BS in the beginning? Did they carry other sports at the beginning? I think I've seen EPL, Nets basketball while scrolling the guide...sorry, I'm not a YES viewer, but I am pleased NY has this available on Directv...or any provider really. A channel with such focus on a storied franchise...fantastic!

It is not jealousy. It is just that TWCSN costs too much and takes up too many resources for what it is. When YES first came out, they did not ask for $4.00 per viewer, and it only occupied one SD transponder. TWCSN takes up four transponders (two HD and two SD) and TWC was asking for too much money.

My beef with TWCSN is the same as my beef with the PAC 12 network. I would be all for the PAC 12 network if it was like the Big 10 network, but seven transponders is too many to allocate to one conference. TWCSN and the PAC 12 network are resource hogs that show very little of interest to anyone east of the Rockies.

#2050 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,742 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

It is not jealousy. It is just that TWCSN costs too much and takes up too many resources for what it is. When YES first came out, they did not ask for $4.00 per viewer, and it only occupied one SD transponder. TWCSN takes up four transponders (two HD and two SD) and TWC was asking for too much money.

My beef with TWCSN is the same as my beef with the PAC 12 network. I would be all for the PAC 12 network if it was like the Big 10 network, but seven transponders is too many to allocate to one conference. TWCSN and the PAC 12 network are resource hogs that show very little of interest to anyone east of the Rockies.

PAC 12 last reported offer to dtv was the same as dish. One full time Hi Definition channel one full time sd channel and then part time overflow game channels.

Really transponder space is not the issue on either of these. They have plenty of room.

#2051 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,048 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

PAC 12 last reported offer to dtv was the same as dish. One full time Hi Definition channel one full time sd channel and then part time overflow game channels.

Really transponder space is not the issue on either of these. They have plenty of room.

I would rather see the transponder space on the 103 slot go to HD programming with national interest (H2, ID, TVLand, Cooking, and all of the other HD basics people are clammoring for), and I would rather see less compression of the SD channels that are already on 101. The Spanish Lakers channel should be on 119 with the other foreign language channels. For that matter, the main TWCSN could go on 119, since those of us on the east coast cannot watch the Lakers games on TWCSN anyway. I do not know what DirecTV ended up paying for TWCSN, but I hope they are not paying for viewers outside of the Lakers territory. I get the channel, but there is nothing on it.

#2052 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,803 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:13 PM

The Spanish Lakers channel should be on 119 with the other foreign language channels.

The SD version is on 119.

#2053 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:18 PM

I would rather see the transponder space on the 103 slot go to HD programming with national interest (H2, ID, TVLand, Cooking, and all of the other HD basics people are clammoring for), and I would rather see less compression of the SD channels that are already on 101. The Spanish Lakers channel should be on 119 with the other foreign language channels. For that matter, the main TWCSN could go on 119, since those of us on the east coast cannot watch the Lakers games on TWCSN anyway. I do not know what DirecTV ended up paying for TWCSN, but I hope they are not paying for viewers outside of the Lakers territory. I get the channel, but there is nothing on it.

I agree about national channels having more HD. I am a LAKERS fan and i live in LA, however, i would rather have more HD channels allocated to stations many people watch. In fact, my wish is more specific..........i have 8 Encore channels but only one in HD, as the saying goes......"come on MAN"!!!!

#2054 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,742 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:24 AM

Again, the TWC channel doesn't keep any of those channels from being launched. It doesn't tie up all the space they have left.

Also, you can't run any national channel in the sports pack off 119. It is in the sports pack for anyone, and more importantly, its part of the nba league pass for channels, so games on that channel are available to everyone that subscribes to that package. Also, NO channels broadcast in HD for the English channels are coming off of anything other than 103 or 99. It can not go on 119.

Also, lets face it, sd is not going to change, and any one channel isn't going to make the difference. Unless you can figure out how to free up 60 plus channels, there will be no change there, and I think we all know that won't happen. If you want quality, its HD and that's all there is to it.

And also, the normal install anymore is a 3 lnb dish, which also means NO 119 access. No core programming of any kind goes to 119 anymore. Its foreign language or sd locals in a few markets. Anyone else gets just the 3lnb dish.

Claiming this channel is eating resources and should be put on a different sat are not good arguments. The price, sure, but its not stopping other hd from launching, and it would cost millions to make everyone go back to 5lnbs, which just isn't going to happen.

#2055 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,742 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:25 AM

I agree about national channels having more HD. I am a LAKERS fan and i live in LA, however, i would rather have more HD channels allocated to stations many people watch. In fact, my wish is more specific..........i have 8 Encore channels but only one in HD, as the saying goes......"come on MAN"!!!!

Have you not noticed that the others aren't all in HD right now anyway? :rolleyes:

#2056 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:37 AM

Have you not noticed that the others aren't all in HD right now anyway? :rolleyes:

I just wish EVERY channel was in HD. I very rarely watch anything in SD. I have over a hundred channels on my Favorites and all are HD. Fortunately, in the case of ENCORE, they will show a movie in SD (which i don't watch), but will show it in HD the same day (EnCeHD). Maybe with all the Holiday sales this year most of those people will becom hard core HD fanatics. When i bought my first HDTV
about 2002, prices were enormously expensive. Today, you can buy a 40" HDTV for a couple a hundred bucks or less. So i think DIRECTV will eventually go all HiDef.

#2057 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,532 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:35 AM

I just wish EVERY channel was in HD. I very rarely watch anything in SD. I have over a hundred channels on my Favorites and all are HD. Fortunately, in the case of ENCORE, they will show a movie in SD (which i don't watch), but will show it in HD the same day (EnCeHD). Maybe with all the Holiday sales this year most of those people will becom hard core HD fanatics. When i bought my first HDTV
about 2002, prices were enormously expensive. Today, you can buy a 40" HDTV for a couple a hundred bucks or less. So i think DIRECTV will eventually go all HiDef.

That may happen. Back in October Philip J. Goswitz, DirecTV's senior vice president for space and communications announced all standard-def channels would be converted to HDTV by 2016 using local-into-local Ka-Band capacity.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#2058 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:17 AM

That may happen. Back in October Philip J. Goswitz, DirecTV's senior vice president for space and communications announced all standard-def channels would be converted to HDTV by 2016 using local-into-local Ka-Band capacity.

Again, Phil's statement really made no sense though, unless he meant to say " 'national' or 'CONUS' Ka-Band capacity."

#2059 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:33 AM

Again, Phil's statement really made no sense though, unless he meant to say " 'national' or 'CONUS' Ka-Band capacity."

He knows more about it than ANYONE here.
DTV = Digital Television

#2060 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

He knows more about it than ANYONE here.

That's certainly true regarding lots of technical inside information proprietary to DIRECTV and its systems which he would obviously have knowledge or access to.

But all of that notwithstanding, ironically it wouldn't be the first time someone in a company's management made a technically inaccurate statement to the press.

For how can LiL Ka-band spotbeam capacity be used to future broadcast the remaining national HD channels yet to be carried?

Edited by HoTat2, 26 November 2012 - 12:31 PM.

spam firewall