Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lakers New Regional TV Network - NOW ON THE AIR

• Please log in to reply
2096 replies to this topic

#241 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 644 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:16 PM

Myself and friends do. We enjoy seeing the best from other states to see if they're as good as Texas teams. I enjoy seeing De La Salle HS, Cal Poly HS, Mater Dei HS, etc play from California.

Me too...especially if it's girls volleyball! I know...that was wrong.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#242 OFFLINE   Contra

Contra

Mentor

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:28 AM

I don't think directv has a clue although they may be playing the odds.

I've been a DIRECTV sub for over 15 years, and am starting to think you're correct. Back in 1997 they would have immediately signed up for a new sports channel, especially if it involved the Lakers.

Today their priorities are very different.

#243 OFFLINE   shyvoodoo

shyvoodoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:00 PM

I've been a DIRECTV sub for over 15 years, and am starting to think you're correct. Back in 1997 they would have immediately signed up for a new sports channel, especially if it involved the Lakers.

Today their priorities are very different.

I bet you programming don't cost the same as 15 years ago , that's probably why...

Ben
Voodoo
All I Want:

Universal Sports HD.
Pac 12/SEC Networks.

#244 OFFLINE   Ronmort

Ronmort

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:16 PM

I think today with the economy in rough shape, DTV has to seriously negotiate a fair price before they pass along more costs to the customers.

#245 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:49 PM

I think today with the economy in rough shape, DTV has to seriously negotiate a fair price before they pass along more costs to the customers.

And a fair price would be $2.00 for the Network. I should say Lakers Network because no matter what some people have said, as of now, its the Lakers.
Keep in mind that the Lakers will have about 22 games shown nationally.

#246 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:38 PM

I bet the Rockets are seeing how this plays out and how Comcast handles it compared to TWC.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#247 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 966 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:48 PM

for what its worth the lakers are on tv practiclly year round,preseason starts in october and the season ends in april,and if the lakers make the playoffs the nba finals are in june,so thats 9 months of the year! so i'd say thats more than a few months a year.

#248 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,254 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:43 PM

for what its worth the lakers are on tv practiclly year round,preseason starts in october and the season ends in april,and if the lakers make the playoffs the nba finals are in june,so thats 9 months of the year! so i'd say thats more than a few months a year.

Aren't all playoff games on national carriers?

I can't keep track.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#249 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:20 PM

I can't keep track.

Yes, and about 22 games in the regular season nationally. This is why i call for a fair price, but i think TWC may stick it to us because:
A. Dwight Howard
B. Steve Nash
C. One network with two feeds (Spanish)
D. TWC overpaid and trying to justify by saying "we" also get the Sparks, Galaxy, etc.
They are trying to be a Network when in reality it's just the Lakers. If they add the Dodgers THEN they become a Network. Having both the Lakers and the Dodgers will make a FULL year round channel. Not a 6 or 7 month station.

#250 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,671 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:25 PM

I can't keep track.

Lakers channel will broadcast all but about 18 games in the season (there are a few games that will be on national and the Lakers channel) and most of the first round of the playoffs. After the first round, all games are exclusive to national channels like espn and TNT.

#251 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,671 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:26 PM

Yes, and about 22 games in the regular season nationally. This is why i call for a fair price, but i think TWC may stick it to us because:
A. Dwight Howard
B. Steve Nash
C. One network with two feeds (Spanish)
D. TWC overpaid and trying to justify by saying "we" also get the Sparks, Galaxy, etc.
They are trying to be a Network when in reality it's just the Lakers. If they add the Dodgers THEN they become a Network. Having both the Lakers and the Dodgers will make a FULL year round channel. Not a 6 or 7 month station.

Players from this year have nothing to do with it.

#252 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,254 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:39 PM

Lakers channel will broadcast all but about 18 games in the season (there are a few games that will be on national and the Lakers channel) and most of the first round of the playoffs. After the first round, all games are exclusive to national channels like espn and TNT.

And for out of market maybe some on nba channel or does that 18 count that?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#253 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,793 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:55 PM

I counted 29 including NBATV.

Wow... 29 of 82 games are on ESPN, TNT, ABC, or NBATV. I hope the rest are on LP for us out of market fans. I have a feeling it'll get on DirecTV.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#254 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,254 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:19 PM

I counted 29 including NBATV.

Didn't realize nba tv announces this early. Figured they were flexible.

#255 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,793 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:48 PM

Didn't realize nba tv announces this early. Figured they were flexible.

They are. They'll also do fan voting for some nights.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#256 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:29 PM

Players from this year have nothing to do with it.

I think you're wrong. I know their contract (TWC) was in place before all that happened, but the Laker fans AND casual fans have come to realize that with the new additions, this may be the beginning of something special. My point is, that people who are not with TWC, which is currently everyone else, will be pressured to finalize a contract which may be higher than normal BECAUSE of Howard and Nash. TWC way overpaid for the rights, and knowing that the Lakers are on paper one of the favs if not THE fav to win it all, that DIRECTV will have to pay more for a sportschannel than they normally would. So it does affect us in Laker land.

#257 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,671 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:42 PM

Here's the rub. TNT and abc have exclusive national rights when the lakers are on those channels. When the lakers are on nbatv and espn they are on both channels (national and local). Any game on nba tv will be blacked out, but espn, who knows. That's based on last year.

The real bad part, I much prefer the lakers announcers over the mostly annoying national ones.

I haven't missed seeing or listening to a game since the 80's so I am concerned.

#258 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,671 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:52 PM

I think you're wrong. I know their contract (TWC) was in place before all that happened, but the Laker fans AND casual fans have come to realize that with the new additions, this may be the beginning of something special. My point is, that people who are not with TWC, which is currently everyone else, will be pressured to finalize a contract which may be higher than normal BECAUSE of Howard and Nash. TWC way overpaid for the rights, and knowing that the Lakers are on paper one of the favs if not THE fav to win it all, that DIRECTV will have to pay more for a sportschannel than they normally would. So it does affect us in Laker land.

Sorry but I've heard nothin about them changing how much they are asking and they got the lakers for 20 years. They bought the brand knowing it will always be strong. Had nothing to do with any one single year, it's about what they can do with he brand year in and year out for 20 or more years.

It might increase the number of customers calling, but it won't increase the pressure overall DirecTV will feel. Again it's the long term brand that both are dealing with.

And actually I don't think twc overpaid. But we won't know for 20 years one way or the other for sure.

And the casual fan will still be fine with the national coverage, so it's only the big fans like myself that really want this channel.

#259 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:43 AM

Sorry but I've heard nothin about them changing how much they are asking and they got the lakers for 20 years. They bought the brand knowing it will always be strong. Had nothing to do with any one single year, it's about what they can do with he brand year in and year out for 20 or more years.

It might increase the number of customers calling, but it won't increase the pressure overall DirecTV will feel. Again it's the long term brand that both are dealing with.

And actually I don't think twc overpaid. But we won't know for 20 years one way or the other for sure.

And the casual fan will still be fine with the national coverage, so it's only the big fans like myself that really want this channel.

I am also one of those big fans and have been a diehard since the late 70's when i came out here from Boston. I used to be the only one who still had cable of all my friends. In May of this year i switched to DIRECTV. None of my friends have TWC. All the experts believe TWC overpaid. I know TWC needs DIRECTV and the others just like we need the Lakers. But my beef is with TWC calling this a regional TV network. Right now it's the Lakers network. I have heard it might cost $5 per month. I'm fine with that, but will the other fans go for it knowing that they can see many Laker games throughout the season and playoffs without TWC. I hope there's a fair balance between TWC and the other sat/cable companies and this gets done soon.

#260 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:29 PM

Well, on Mason/Ireland show on KSPN they devoted about half the show to DIRECTV and how they will switch to TWC if we don't have a resolution for the Lakers and the Big 12 network (which starts tomorrow with UCLA). That sounds great....however, i'm not rich like those two guys and just can't walk away (in my case DirecTV) and go back to TWC. I'm only in my first few months of my contract and i don't have money to throw away. I love DirecTV and plan on keeping it. But i'll be damned if they don't do something, and something soon.

spam firewall