Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lakers New Regional TV Network - NOW ON THE AIR

• Please log in to reply
2096 replies to this topic

#501 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:11 AM

As example, do you know if say the Phil. 76'ers games (does CSN Philly have their rights?) are blacked out on LP provided by DIRECTV there?

In Philly, CSN has rights to everything except the Eagles. The only time D* subscribers would get to see the Sixers, Flyers, Phillies, or Union is when they are on network TV or if they actually go to the game.

To answer your question, season packages are for out of market games. For example, you could watch the Knicks play the Celtics but you couldn't watch the Lakers or Clippers play anyone unless they are on national TV like ABC, TNT, ESPN et. al.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#502 OFFLINE   TravelFan1

TravelFan1

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:20 AM

Why, does D* no longer have YES? I know DISH doesn't..."the new sports leader" ;)

Dish's only calling themselves "College Sports Leader", after the agreements with Pac-12 and Big 10. And I know you are smart and you understood my comment, Satelliteracer. ;)

My main point is that back when YES was launched, Directv didn't even blink to sign up. Heck, somehow, Directv even made the Dolans release MSG, MSG+ and all Alt MSg channels in HD to be available on Directv. But now, in addition to the Pac-12, 2 new RSNs have been launched as of October 1st and Directv isn't carrying either - granted, that doesn't mean that by October 30th, NBA regular season start, Directv won't carry them. And I do understand Directv may be trying to send a message to all these local sports teams, College conferences, etc, that enough is enough as far as launching so many new sports channels. But, at least to me, sports are the reason I subscribed to Directv, because NFL Sunday ticket + UEfA extra soccer games + the Tennis majors coverage, and because they carry all NYC Metro RSNs in HD.

Could the way to get out of this impasse the establishment of a fee for places like NYC or LA that have so many local RSNs? Also, does Directv currently has a package similar to the cable cos economy package, which doesn't include any sports channels and, if so, are subscribers to these packages counted towards the per subscriber fee these RSNs get - my office, for whatever reason, blocks access to directv site, so I can't check.

Rip: Comcast: July 2005 - April 2009 & Dish Network: April 2009-July 2011
Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list:BBC World News, Fox Deportes HD, WatchEspn, FoxSports2Go

#503 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:01 PM

DIRECTV not having the Los Angeles Lakers would be absolutely absurd. We've all seen this tactic before. Both parties play chicken/victim, then strike a deal in the eleventh hour. Just get er done. Yes, raise my bill if need be.

I think they will make a deal. But you shouldn't be surprised if it won't be till the first week of November. The first few Lakers games will be on national TV so you should be able to see the first weekend of the official season.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#504 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,126 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

If cheapo Dish Network has the Pac 12 Network, then it is an EMBARRASSMENT that DirecTV does not have it...plain and simple. Accept their terms like Dish did...IT MAKES NO SENSE TO NOT CARRY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do you figure? Do you realize how much DirecTV has that dish doesn't? They are trying to catch up to DirecTV, so adding those channels does not have the same affect as it does for DirecTV. I wouldn't be surprised if dish makes more money per sub right now, because of all the channels they don't carry, like all the ny RSNs. They saw an opportunity to add one that DirecTV doesn't have, to help differentiate, and they did. That doesn't mean they paid more than DirecTV feels it can absorbed, where as dish likely could absorb that price easier because of how much other stuff they don't carry. Don't forget, they just lost amc to this year, so they have that money to spend.

#505 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,126 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

That would be a great idea. However, another thought comes to mind. There could also be that rare (but very possible) instance where all three teams would be playing on the same night in March/April. Would TWC have to delay the broadcast of perhaps the Galaxy game? Or would they make sure that a national network, such as ESPN or TNT, would carry one of those games for that particular evening?

On a side note, does anyone here remember the "enhanced" Lakers coverage that aired simultaneously on Prime Ticket for certain games a few seasons ago? FSN West would broadcast the normal game coverage with the announcers and PT would show various different angles and behind the scenes footage with interviews conducted by the sideline reporter?

If an additional TWC channel (or a part-time overflow feed) ends up being created for the Dodgers, I think it would be pretty cool to use that channel for "bonus" Lakers coverage.

I recall the Yankees having a similar enhanced channel. Do they still have it?

Don't assume that if twc got the Dodgers that they would carry all games and not have any on a local over the air network.

#506 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,126 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:26 PM

Question;

Are you referring to RSNs carrying the away or visiting team's telecasts playing the Lakers being available on LP (blacked out in the LA area of course)?

Since with rare exception, the channel 750s range LP channels are simply remaps of RSNs carried in the 600 channel range, how can DIRECTV provide the Lakers home feed to LP without an agreement to carry TWC SportsNet?

Does TWC still have to allow DIRECTV to carry the home feed for LP purposes to the other markets?

Nba I believe controls league pass, so yes.

#507 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,126 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:28 PM

And BTW, is it normal for an RSN to launch this way without having secured at least one carriage deal with another provider other than their own? :confused:

I believe when fsn west 2 launched they had no deals, and added only one provider for the first few weeks.

#508 OFFLINE   DeathRowsFinest2g

DeathRowsFinest2g

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:52 PM

Could not wait anymore.

Time Warner will be at my house Saturday for the install.

Got the Digital Package, hope everything goes ok with the install.

#509 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

Could not wait anymore.

Time Warner will be at my house Saturday for the install.

Got the Digital Package, hope everything goes ok with the install.

Did you dump DirecTV completely, putting it on hold, or going to use 2 providers?
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#510 OFFLINE   bong... james bong

bong... james bong

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

i haven't missed out, people have put up the whole launch even & shows on youtube. preseason is preseason, & somebody is right saying the first couple games will be on national tv. so we'll see

#511 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

i haven't missed out, people have put up the whole launch even & shows on youtube. preseason is preseason, & somebody is right saying the first couple games will be on national tv. so we'll see

To be exact:

Season Opener on October 29th vs Dallas will be on TNT.
October 30th @ Portland will be on NBA TV.
November 2nd vs. Los Angeles Clippers will be on ESPN.

The first FULL season game only on TWC Sportsnet will be on November 4th vs Detroit. The rest of November will all be on TWC Sportsnet, except the last game of the month vs. Denver which will be on ESPN.

The rest of the season seems to be about 40/60, with 40% of the games on national networks, and 60% on TWC Sportsnet. And that in itself is a pretty compelling reason for DirecTV to negotiate HARD. If they already pay for 40% of the games through other channels, how much is the other 60% really worth?

I am the Stig.

#512 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,126 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:44 PM

To be exact:

Season Opener on October 29th vs Dallas will be on TNT.
October 30th @ Portland will be on NBA TV.
November 2nd vs. Los Angeles Clippers will be on ESPN.

The first FULL season game only on TWC Sportsnet will be on November 4th vs Detroit. The rest of November will all be on TWC Sportsnet, except the last game of the month vs. Denver which will be on ESPN.

The rest of the season seems to be about 40/60, with 40% of the games on national networks, and 60% on TWC Sportsnet. And that in itself is a pretty compelling reason for DirecTV to negotiate HARD. If they already pay for 40% of the games through other channels, how much is the other 60% really worth?

You are still assuming that espn won't be blacked out here. I think it will be. I think we will only get ABC and TNT games, as they are the only ones with exclusive broadcasts.

#513 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,973 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

You are still assuming that espn won't be blacked out here. I think it will be. I think we will only get ABC and TNT games, as they are the only ones with exclusive broadcasts.

ESPN games aren't blacked out. NBA TV are.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#514 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,126 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

ESPN games aren't blacked out. NBA TV are.

How do you know? I don't know of this situation occurring anywhere else in the nation personally? Do you? I hope your right, I'd just like to know about precedence, that's all.

#515 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,973 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

How do you know? I don't know of this situation occurring anywhere else in the nation personally? Do you? I hope your right, I'd just like to know about precedence, that's all.

Because ESPN games are never blacked out. Dallas (my local team) is on pretty often and they're never blacked out...I prefer the ESPN feed when watching Dallas lose because I hate the homer announcers.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#516 OFFLINE   DeathRowsFinest2g

DeathRowsFinest2g

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

Did you dump DirecTV completely, putting it on hold, or going to use 2 providers?

Will be putting D* on hold.

#517 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

How is it that you can say it is reverting over...what...three channels? (These two and the PAC-12 Network.) It's not that they merely have more...they have vastly more. More sports packages, more sports channels, and more event specialty channels. It's an incredible difference between them and second place. DirecTV hasn't done anything to slide back unless you count GolTV (which lost most of its content) and G4 (which was a shell of its former self). What they have actually done is built upon their massive lead. The cable companies aren't going to catch up for various reasons. That leaves Dish Network. They have had about 16 years and haven't made a dent in DirecTV's sports lead.

It is crazy how every person's self interests should supersede the interests of DirecTV as a functioning business, not to mention those of fellow subscribers. Case in point, as I type this, DirecTV is broadcasting seven UEFA Championship League matches. LIVE. I guarantee you no carrier in America besides DirecTV would even think of providing that service to its customers. Now, if for some reason, DirecTV decides down the road that the UEFA deal isn't worth the investment, should I come on here crying about how DirecTV has "changed" and is no longer the "sports leader?" Hell, no.

For all of those complaining about the TWC Lakers deal, how can you blame DirecTV for not signing a deal when no other carrier in the country has done so? Doesn't that alone lead to the obvious conclusion that TWC has misread the value of its investment and is asking way too much from outside sources to make their bad deal tenable? And all of us should go (deeper) out of pocket just because a distinct minority need to see 24/7 suck-up coverage of the Lakers?

Listen, I am a huge sports fan. I am a huge Lakers fan. Will I be happy if I can't see their games in my living room? No. But even if I wanted to switch to cable, my provider, Cox, also has not cut a deal with TWC. Does that mean they also don't care about their customers?

I just don't understand how access to every RSN is considered a DirecTV birth right. Things have changed. Just ask the 42% of San Diego County that missed every Padres game this season, a large chunk of whom are TWC subscribers. FSSD was just too expensive for TWC to carry. Hmm.

#518 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,126 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:06 PM

Because ESPN games are never blacked out. Dallas (my local team) is on pretty often and they're never blacked out...I prefer the ESPN feed when watching Dallas lose because I hate the homer announcers.

They wouldn't black out the team if they have both channels available, but if they don't carry the local channel that is also showing the game, then they might black it out. That's my point, does anyone live in an home market and have a carrier that does not carry the local RSN that has your teams games? If so, do they black out the espn when they are showing your home teams?

#519 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

If cheapo Dish Network has the Pac 12 Network, then it is an EMBARRASSMENT that DirecTV does not have it...plain and simple. Accept their terms like Dish did...IT MAKES NO SENSE TO NOT CARRY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it's not FULL TIME HD, then no thank you.
HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#520 OFFLINE   DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:15 PM

Don't assume that if twc got the Dodgers that they would carry all games and not have any on a local over the air network.

Yes. That definitely is a possibility, but considering that the Lakers deal has TWC as the exclusive broadcaster for the Lakers, I would imagine that TWC would be looking for similar rights in regards to the Dodgers as well.
Slimline, WB616 (2), SWM8 (2), OTA, MRV (U)
Den: Sony KDS-60A3000 -> HR20-700; Sony KDL-40S2000 (5) -> HR20-700 (2) & HR20-100 (3)
Master Bed: Kuro PDP-5020FD -> HR34-700
Master Bath: Sony KDL-26S3000 + PSP -> HR24-200
Daughter's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR20-700
Son's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR24-500
Kitchen: Sharp 20" -> H24-700
Guest: Sharp 20" -> H20-100
Patio: SunbriteTV 3220 -> H25-500
Living Room: Sony 42" XBR Plasma -> HR20-100

Diagram of Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...