Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lakers New Regional TV Network - NOW ON THE AIR

• Please log in to reply
2096 replies to this topic

#521 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

I just wonder how long it will take Lakers executives to grow impatient with TWC for not signing distribution deals.
DTV = Digital Television

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#522 OFFLINE   DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:20 PM

ESPN games aren't blacked out. NBA TV are.

Yes. That is true. NBA TV games are blacked-out here in Los Angeles (if I recall correctly) depending on whether or not it's a home or away game for the Lakers. I seem to remember being able to see some Lakers games in the past, but not others.

EDIT: I just remembered which instances in which NBA TV would black out Laker games in L.A. It depends on which "feed" (ie. FSN West, FSN Northwest, CSN-California, etc.) NBA-TV would be showing on their channel. If it was one of our local stations (KCAL-9 or FSN), then it would not be blacked out in Los Angeles, but if it were of the other team's broadcast, then it would be blacked out here in L.A.

So, assuming that those are the rules regarding black-outs, then I would imagine that the Oct. 31st game on NBA-TV would be available to NBA-TV viewers in the Lakers DMA if the "feed" NBA-TV is carrying was coming from TWC-SN and not CSN-Portland (or whichever TV station the Blazers use).

I think that would give TWC a perfect opportunity to "showcase" their product and put some pressure on TV service providers to carry TWC-SN.

Edited by DBSNewbie, 02 October 2012 - 02:41 PM.

Slimline, WB616 (2), SWM8 (2), OTA, MRV (U)
Den: Sony KDS-60A3000 -> HR20-700; Sony KDL-40S2000 (5) -> HR20-700 (2) & HR20-100 (3)
Master Bed: Kuro PDP-5020FD -> HR34-700
Master Bath: Sony KDL-26S3000 + PSP -> HR24-200
Daughter's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR20-700
Son's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR24-500
Kitchen: Sharp 20" -> H24-700
Guest: Sharp 20" -> H20-100
Patio: SunbriteTV 3220 -> H25-500
Living Room: Sony 42" XBR Plasma -> HR20-100

Diagram of Setup

#523 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

If it's not FULL TIME HD, then no thank you.

Pac12 is full time Hi Definition.

#524 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:31 PM

Yes. That definitely is a possibility, but considering that the Lakers deal has TWC as the exclusive broadcaster for the Lakers, I would imagine that TWC would be looking for similar rights in regards to the Dodgers as well.

I don't know, they likely want close to all games but there is a big difference when you consider there are twice as many games, and probably half as many on national tv, so there are so many more games.... Taking on a partner, even if it where only for the first half of the season might to make some sense. They could also always go the overflow channel route...

#525 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:32 PM

Pac12 is full time Hi Definition.

On DISH?
HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#526 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:34 PM

On DISH?

Who cares about how dish is doing it? I am saying if DirecTV carries it they would make it full time, so dish can pound sound...

#527 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

Who cares about how dish is doing it? I am saying if DirecTV carries it they would make it full time, so dish can pound sound...

Isn't this why they claim to be the New Sports leader. The most Part Time Sports in HD.
HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#528 OFFLINE   DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:01 PM

I don't know, they likely want close to all games but there is a big difference when you consider there are twice as many games, and probably half as many on national tv, so there are so many more games.... Taking on a partner, even if it where only for the first half of the season might to make some sense. They could also always go the overflow channel route...

Very good points.

By the way, the YES Network carries both Yankees (MLB) and Nets (NBA). Does anyone know how they handle overlapping games? Do either the Yankees or Nets have a local TV partner or affiliate? Or are all games, basketball and baseball, exclusively all on YES? (excluding national broadcasts, such as the ones on ESPN, of course)
Slimline, WB616 (2), SWM8 (2), OTA, MRV (U)
Den: Sony KDS-60A3000 -> HR20-700; Sony KDL-40S2000 (5) -> HR20-700 (2) & HR20-100 (3)
Master Bed: Kuro PDP-5020FD -> HR34-700
Master Bath: Sony KDL-26S3000 + PSP -> HR24-200
Daughter's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR20-700
Son's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR24-500
Kitchen: Sharp 20" -> H24-700
Guest: Sharp 20" -> H20-100
Patio: SunbriteTV 3220 -> H25-500
Living Room: Sony 42" XBR Plasma -> HR20-100

Diagram of Setup

#529 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,827 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:05 PM

They wouldn't black out the team if they have both channels available, but if they don't carry the local channel that is also showing the game, then they might black it out. That's my point, does anyone live in an home market and have a carrier that does not carry the local RSN that has your teams games? If so, do they black out the espn when they are showing your home teams?

It doesn't matter...ESPN games are never blacked out.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#530 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:27 PM

On DISH?

The station ITSELF is 24/7 HD. All 7 networks are. Cable providers mostly carry at least 2 of those in full time HD (the national and the local).

Dish carries just the NATIONAL network as full time HD, and has extra feeds for games not shown on the national network.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#531 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:30 PM

You are still assuming that espn won't be blacked out here. I think it will be. I think we will only get ABC and TNT games, as they are the only ones with exclusive broadcasts.

ESPN games are never blacked out. As a matter of fact, when the Angels or Dodgers play on ESPN, it is the Fox Sports feed that is blacked out, so it is the other way around. (I noticed this when I tuned in to 692 one night for an Angels game and was confronted with a blackout.... took me a few moments to realize the game was on ESPN). This is one of the reasons ESPN is so expensive by the way, when they buy rights to a game they buy it for the entire country, no blackouts.

You'll get all ESPN, ABC, TNT games. The only games that might be subject to a blackout is NBA TV, but if TWC has not signed deals with *anyone* I wouldn't be surprised the NBA is allowed to show the game. We'll have to wait and see.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#532 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 831 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

Isn't this why they claim to be the New Sports leader. The most Part Time Sports in HD.

Well, they're certainly the college sports leader. 2 Pac 12 football games a week are completely unavailable to DirecTV subscribers...it's a travesty that the suits at DirecTV are putting their own financial desires ahead of what their customers want. I hope they lose a ton of people over it.

#533 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:01 PM

Well, they're certainly the college sports leader. 2 Pac 12 football games a week are completely unavailable to DirecTV subscribers...it's a travesty that the suits at DirecTV are putting their own financial desires ahead of what their customers want. I hope they lose a ton of people over it.

No they are not. DirecTV offers far more college sports.
DTV = Digital Television

#534 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:28 PM

Well, regardless of whether they are the "sports leader" or not, the landscape is changing IMO. Other providers are seeing cracks in DirecTV's sports armor and they're obviously going after it, who wouldn't if you were sitting in the president's office of Comcast, Dish or whomever? I would.

I bet things are much different once contracts start coming up for renewal. Considering DirecTV's seemingly new stance, while other providers are willing and all too eager to take up and distribute any sports programming they can grab, the tide is slowly shifting and five years from now things could be totally different.

#535 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,263 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

Well, regardless of whether they are the "sports leader" or not, the landscape is changing IMO. Other providers are seeing cracks in DirecTV's sports armor and they're obviously going after it, who wouldn't if you were sitting in the president's office of Comcast, Dish or whomever? I would.

I bet things are much different once contracts start coming up for renewal. Considering DirecTV's seemingly new stance, while other providers are willing and all too eager to take up and distribute any sports programming they can grab, the tide is slowly shifting and five years from now things could be totally different.

Or not.

We haven't seen them play hardball with any sports renewals yet.

Only place they have on renewal was Viacom and that was pretty obvious what Viacom was trying to do. And they settled within days.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#536 OFFLINE   kappat

kappat

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

No they are not. DirecTV offers far more college sports.

There is a lot of discussion in this thread about whether DirecTV is the "sports leader." Some say yes and others are now saying no. You have to look at how they are defining what sports leader means to them. For some, it is defined by the total amount of sports shown on DirecTV. For others, it is defined by the ability to watch their favorite teams. Currently in L.A, you cannot watch Lakers, Sparks, Galaxy, USC, and UCLA unless the game is on a national channel.

Yes, DirecTV is the sports leader because they show the most sports, but the claim falls short on a personal level when you can't watch your favorite teams.

#537 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:46 PM

Doesn't explain why some people in the same market have it, and some don't...

It's not driven by market, driven by zip code. Pricing for RSNs is subject to the zip code. So you can have two customers in the same market, but in one zip code the rate D* pays the RSN is X while another customer in the same market but different zip code D* has to pay RSN X *5 as an example. Example purposes only, but that's how that stuff works. Territories are carved out by zip codes, not by DMA. A good way to explain this is the Lakers territory which goes to Vegas, Hawaii, up to Santa Barbara, down to San Diego, etc, but the rates are different even within a DMA.

Edited by Satelliteracer, 02 October 2012 - 06:20 PM.

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#538 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:02 PM

Or not.

We haven't seen them play hardball with any sports renewals yet.

Only place they have on renewal was Viacom and that was pretty obvious what Viacom was trying to do. And they settled within days.

I wouldn't call the PAC-12 network negotiations soft by any means and I would probably be wise to guess the TWC stalemate will go on well into the season as well, if it ever gets signed at all this year.

It probably pains DirecTV to have to sign on the dotted line of their competitor, empowering them as much or even more than DirecTV. I probably wouldn't sign either, but that still doesn't negate the high probability that in five year's time, DirecTV's sports position will be compromised, as it's already slipping in my eyes.

#539 OFFLINE   TravelFan1

TravelFan1

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:03 PM

Very good points.

By the way, the YES Network carries both Yankees (MLB) and Nets (NBA). Does anyone know how they handle overlapping games? Do either the Yankees or Nets have a local TV partner or affiliate? Or are all games, basketball and baseball, exclusively all on YES? (excluding national broadcasts, such as the ones on ESPN, of course)

Yes has an alternate feed. A few Yankees games are carried on channel 9. In the past, there had been Nets games in April/may that were also carried by channel 9 - I remembered one season finale Veronica Mars episode shown in ny like 1am because of the Nets. I don't know if channel 9 will carry any games next spring, though.

Rip: Comcast: July 2005 - April 2009 & Dish Network: April 2009-July 2011
Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list:BBC World News, Fox Deportes HD, WatchEspn, FoxSports2Go

#540 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,907 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

Though how much is attributed to the cost of sports programming is not indicated;

http://techcrunch.co...tv-train-wreck/

Still yea, as the article says, "something's gotta give." DIRECTV's programming cost have grown some 32% over the past five years. :eek2:

From "Bernstein Research" analyst Craig Moffett;

Posted Image

Its no wonder they're stalling on adding the Pac 12 and TWC SporstNet along with experiencing a constant stream of disputes with the non-sports program providers and OTA station groups.

spam firewall