Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lakers New Regional TV Network - NOW ON THE AIR

• Please log in to reply
2096 replies to this topic

#561 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:41 AM

They don't enforce it but the reason they offered it on PS3 was to keep from getting sued by people who could not get Directv because of location or line of sight or regulations. They made it available to anyone who really wants it. They do not want to expand distribution because that would hurt the ad revenue of the network affiliates which would make their product worth less to the TV networks. That would be killing the goose that laid the golden eggs.

But in canada due to laws it can't be exclusive and In the us the cable co maybe able to push for new laws to end the exclusive part.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#562 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:55 AM

But in canada due to laws it can't be exclusive and In the us the cable co maybe able to push for new laws to end the exclusive part.

Federal legislation against a single company exclusive unlike any other? No one wanted Sunday Ticket except DirecTV. DirecTV bid for the rights and has done so ever since.
DTV = Digital Television

#563 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:57 AM

There might be a case here if local areas were affected by ST but they're not. This is strictly an out of market package. Not one local market is affected.

#564 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:01 AM

There is absolutely no case for it. It was available for everyone to bid on. DirecTV has the rights to it.
DTV = Digital Television

#565 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:06 AM

I have NEVER seen a FSN west baseball game blacked out because a game was on espn. EVER. That doesn't happen.

Just because you didn't see it, it didn't mean it didn't happen. I am telling you, I tuned in for the Angels game on 692, and it was blacked out. Low and behold, it was on ESPN.

Angel's 2012 schedule had 150 games on Fox Sports West, 12 games divided by national Fox and ESPN - obviously I caught one of those 12 games as the 692 channel was.... black, dark, no alternative programming, nothing.

Edit: It was this game for the record: http://espn.go.com/m...ameId=320919103

Edited by maartena, 03 October 2012 - 09:17 AM.

[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#566 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:58 AM

NFL Sunday Ticket is already being offered through the PS3 and Playstation network.Where it does not require a person to sign a contract with Directv for 2 years and the person does not have to prove they cannot receive Directv service at the place they live.It costs $300 includes the red zone channel and the games are in HD.

I had the service a year ago when I was on AT&T U-Verse and was not a Directv customer.

What the other poster was implying, I think, is that the NFL would like a bunch of distributors to carry NFL ST. If I am wrong on that interpretation, the poster can correct me. CBS, ESPN, FOX, NBC might have a few things to say about expansion of the product along with their billions of dollars they are paying to the NFL and the money they receive from their advertisers.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#567 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:02 AM

Magic Johnson owns and runs the Dodgers.

They are gone after the 2013 season from Fox Sports.

I seriously doubt MLB Commissioner Bud Selig wants them on Fox anymore after he already rejected the 1st TV deal between Fox and former owner Frank Mccourt.

Also MLB and Dodgers fans remember how bad the Dodgers were run when they were owned by Rupert Murdoch.

Here was Magic & Time Warner SportsNet president David Rone at the launch party last night at the TWC SportsNet headquarters in El Segundo CA.

Posted Image

Magic owns a sliver of the team. He most certainly doesn't run the team, he is the PR face of the team. That same Bud Selig you say doesn't like Fox is the same Bud Selig who just extended their contract with Fox for a ton of money.

I have no doubt TWC wants the Dodger rights, they need more rights. On the flip side, Fox needs to secure their content for their channels after losing the Lakers. Again, I'll be very surprised if Fox loses them. Doesn't mean it won't happen, but I will be surprised.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#568 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

Why? Because of two channels? One of which no one carries other than its owner...

Well even if it were just two channels...then yes, two channels. It was never that way before.

It's not just two channels, however...Pac-12 is more than two channels alone, Longhorn Network, ESPN Goal Line and it's basketball equivalent (whose name escapes me), Comcast Northwest....missing most of an NHL season of games on Versus...GolTV disappearing from the sports pack last month...and now there is serious concern over the new Time Warner LA channel and Comcast Houston.

Listen I am not here to bash DirecTV or claim I will leave over this or that...with or without those channels mentioned above, DirecTV is by far the best option out there. I spend a lot of money on DirecTV sports...a LOT of money...and I would pay more to get the networks mentioned above.

I'm just saying you used to be able to count on DirecTV getting virtually any sports channel available to them....and now it's not quite like that anymore.

That is all.

Sandra

#569 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

Nah, politics is too "free market" oriented to start regulating such things. It's same with medicine. A medicine that costs $40 co-pay here because it is still in its 10 year "cost recoup" period, costs $5 in Canada because Canada says: "If you want your medicine to be on our market, you HAVE to let competitors make the same formula." So you can get the pharmacy house brand for a fraction of the cost, while we Americans still pay through the nose for the same. (Same in the EU by the way, I can give you a long story about this but lets not derail this topic).

This country is BUILT on free market enterprise, and NFL Exclusivity is a prime example of such free market enterprise. We'll have to see if they will go for exclusivity in 2014, but don't count on politics intervening and imposing laws on such things. It's really not needed either in this case, if NFL wants other providers, that is what they will put in their contract in 2014. You can bet your behind that DirecTV isn't going to outright lose NFL Sunday Ticket in 2014, so they will have to agree to those terms if NFL wants it.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#570 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:03 AM

Well even if it were just two channels...then yes, two channels. It was never that way before.

It's not just two channels, however...Pac-12 is more than two channels alone, Longhorn Network, ESPN Goal Line and it's basketball equivalent (whose name escapes me), Comcast Northwest....missing most of an NHL season of games on Versus...GolTV disappearing from the sports pack last month...and now there is serious concern over the new Time Warner LA channel and Comcast Houston.

Listen I am not here to bash DirecTV or claim I will leave over this or that...with or without those channels mentioned above, DirecTV is by far the best option out there. I spend a lot of money on DirecTV sports...a LOT of money...and I would pay more to get the networks mentioned above.

I'm just saying you used to be able to count on DirecTV getting virtually any sports channel available to them....and now it's not quite like that anymore.

That is all.

Sandra

PAC-12 Network: just launched

Longhorn Network: Very little content

Comcast Northwest: Comcast is being accused of negotiating in bad faith with massive rate increases. Even the Blazers are upset with them.

Versus: Comcast strikes again. It was seen as a win by DirecTV.

GolTV: They lost the vast majority if their content to other channels.

Time Warner: No one has signed a deal for it.

CSN Houston: No one, aside very small local providers, has signed a deal for it.

You'd be mistaken if you believed there was a time when DirecTV agreed to carry every sports channel without batting an eye. They have never carried every sports channel that launched. They carry a higher percentage of available sports channels than ever before.
DTV = Digital Television

#571 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:16 AM

Let's see how it works when we use spin in the other direction. ;)

PAC-12 Network: just launched

It's launched and it's not on DirecTV

Longhorn Network: Very little content

It has content I would watch

Comcast Northwest: Comcast is being accused of negotiating in bad faith with massive rate increases. Even the Blazers are upset with them.

Yes DirecTV did accuse them of that

Versus: Comcast strikes again. It was seen as a win by DirecTV.

It was a loss for a hockey fan who missed most of an entire season of Versus games

GolTV: They lost the vast majority if their content to other channels.

GolTV still has the German Bundesliga, Brazil and Argentina leagues as well as other South American leagues. And also some very good soccer news and discussion shows that they went through the effort of translating into English.

It's still a very good channel for soccer fans and it was taken out of the sports pack for reasons I cannot fathom.

Time Warner: No one has signed a deal for it.

Including DirecTV. Time will tell.

CSN Houston: No one, aside very small local providers, has signed a deal for it.

Including DirecTV. Time will tell.

You'd be mistaken if you believed there was a time when DirecTV agreed to carry every sports channel without batting an eye. They have never carried every sports channel that launched. They carry a higher percentage of available sports channels than ever before.

What channels have they not carried in the past?

Sandra

#572 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

It's launched and it's not on DirecTV

It will be once a fair deal is reached.

It has content I would watch

Doesn't change the fact that they broadcast very little.

Yes DirecTV did accuse them of that

They aren't the only ones. Other providers, the Blazers, and legislators have been very concerned with the Comcast negotiating standards.

It was a loss for a hockey fan who missed most of an entire season of Versus games

Sure was. It's too bad Comcast put people in that position by demanding far too much. DirecTV won out in the end, as did their customers.

GolTV still has the German Bundesliga, Brazil and Argentina leagues as well as other South American leagues. And also some very good soccer news and discussion shows that they went through the effort of translating into English. It's still a very good channel for soccer fans and it was taken out of the sports pack for reasons I cannot fathom.

They lost their prime content and substantial value.

What channels have they not carried in the past?

Plenty. I had a list, but I'll have to locate it.
DTV = Digital Television

#573 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:20 AM

http://www.multichan...x-turner/139573

Fox new MLB deal. Apparently Bud isn't so angry with Fox. :)
DIRECTV employee

#574 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:41 AM

It will be once a fair deal is reached.

Doesn't change the fact that they broadcast very little.

They aren't the only ones. Other providers, the Blazers, and legislators have been very concerned with the Comcast negotiating standards.

Sure was. It's too bad Comcast put people in that position by demanding far too much. DirecTV won out in the end, as did their customers.

They lost their prime content and substantial value.

Plenty. I had a list, but I'll have to locate it.

I'm just going to stick by my original statement that DirecTV used to pick up virtually every sports channel available to them, and now they do not. You can rationalize each channel, but as a whole my point still stands.

I'm not going to debate something like GolTV, whose content you do not like...but I like a lot. To each his (or her) own.

And I'm a DirecTV customer who does not feel like I won the DirecTV/Versus battle. I feel like I lost games...lots of them.

Your opinion may differ and that's awesome...but you're not changing my opinioin.

Sandra

#575 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

I'm just going to stick by my original statement that DirecTV used to pick up virtually every sports channel available to them, and now they do not.

That isn't factual, but do as you wish.
DTV = Digital Television

#576 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 160 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:06 PM

The only reason Bud denied the Dodgers new TV contract with FOX was to freeze McCourt of the deal so he couldn't afford to keep the Dodgers. That NEVER would've happened if it was business as usual. There are really three ways the new Dodgers TV deal could go: 1) Resign with FOX 2) Sign with TWC 3) Launch a new full-time Dodgers RSN. It will most likely be either FOX or TWC as those two will be in a bidding war that will ensure the Dodgers are the big winner in the end.

Spot on. Saying that Bud Selig has issues with Fox shows no understanding of the relationship between Fox and MLB, both on the regional and national level.

TWC may well land the Dodgers, but the involvement of Magic Johnson certainly won't swing the deal in TWC's direction. It's all about money, and Fox can't lose the Dodgers at this point without gutting one of their LA based RSNs. So, the Dodgers are worth more to Fox than TWC.

#577 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,179 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:13 PM

Magic Johnson owns and runs the Dodgers.

They are gone after the 2013 season from Fox Sports.

I seriously doubt MLB Commissioner Bud Selig wants them on Fox anymore after he already rejected the 1st TV deal between Fox and former owner Frank Mccourt.

Also MLB and Dodgers fans remember how bad the Dodgers were run when they were owned by Rupert Murdoch.

Here was Magic & Time Warner SportsNet president David Rone at the launch party last night at the TWC SportsNet headquarters in El Segundo CA.

One thing only will decide where the Dodgers end up, and that's money. MLB rejected the first deal because of McCourt, not FOX. They have no issue with FOX.

#578 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,179 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

There might be a case here if local areas were affected by ST but they're not. This is strictly an out of market package. Not one local market is affected.

That's not true. If someone has Sunday Tackett, there is a good chance they are not watching a game on their local, hence they are directly affected. Sunday ticket has a direct affect on local numbers, which is why they don't want wide distribution.

#579 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,179 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

Just because you didn't see it, it didn't mean it didn't happen. I am telling you, I tuned in for the Angels game on 692, and it was blacked out. Low and behold, it was on ESPN.

Angel's 2012 schedule had 150 games on Fox Sports West, 12 games divided by national Fox and ESPN - obviously I caught one of those 12 games as the 692 channel was.... black, dark, no alternative programming, nothing.

Edit: It was this game for the record: http://espn.go.com/m...ameId=320919103

That makes no sense. They don't have a national exclusive on games during the week that I know of, and I haven't seen my DVR record any espn game for the Angels in September during the week, and I always put the games on in the background, so I wonder if that was some weird technician issue. I am telling you they don't schedule games on a local RSN if they are going to be blacked out due to a national exclusive broadcast. I don't know of any sport that does that, and have never seen it.

Maybe sat racer knows, but I have never heard of such a thing.

#580 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,179 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

Spot on. Saying that Bud Selig has issues with Fox shows no understanding of the relationship between Fox and MLB, both on the regional and national level.

TWC may well land the Dodgers, but the involvement of Magic Johnson certainly won't swing the deal in TWC's direction. It's all about money, and Fox can't lose the Dodgers at this point without gutting one of their LA based RSNs. So, the Dodgers are worth more to Fox than TWC.

The only way magic could have an affect is if both FOX and twc offered the exact same deal, line by line, top to bottom for everything. They'd they'd sign with twc because of magics relationship with the twc guy, maybe. You have to remember that FOX has a relationship right now with the Dodgers as it is.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...