Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lakers New Regional TV Network - NOW ON THE AIR

• Please log in to reply
2096 replies to this topic

#581 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:30 PM

GolTV is still available on DIRECTV
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#582 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 160 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

Technically, yes. But how many fewer people have access to it now that it has been removed from the sports package?

Regardless, the channel is a shadow of its former self, and its long term survival is questionable, at best.

#583 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

That makes no sense. They don't have a national exclusive on games during the week that I know of, and I haven't seen my DVR record any espn game for the Angels in September during the week, and I always put the games on in the background, so I wonder if that was some weird technician issue. I am telling you they don't schedule games on a local RSN if they are going to be blacked out due to a national exclusive broadcast. I don't know of any sport that does that, and have never seen it.

Maybe sat racer knows, but I have never heard of such a thing.

Angels games are either on Fox Sports West or part of their local deal with channel 13 (KCOP). Not exactly sure what the blackout question is. Yes, they were some games that were picked up nationally, but typically they are flex schedule deal where those games are picked up in season and not scheduled prior except for the very first games of the year on FOX, ESPN, etc.

Interesting note on the Angels website about DISH and UVERSE as it relates to the Angels: "If you're an AT&T U-verse or Dish customer, unfortunately, you will not receive all Angels telecasts this season. FOX Sports West this year has increased its TV schedule and will show approximately 150 Angels games in 2012. The additional games have been made available to local TV providers. Most distributors have decided to carry all the games, but a few have not, including AT&T U-verse and Dish. If you are not receiving all Angels telecasts, we encourage you to contact your local TV provider to request that they carry the full schedule of games"
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#584 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

That's not true. If someone has Sunday Tackett, there is a good chance they are not watching a game on their local, hence they are directly affected. Sunday ticket has a direct affect on local numbers, which is why they don't want wide distribution.

Doesn't use Sunday Ticket use the same feeds? And isn't it so that if a game is say.... on your local CBS affiliate, that the Sunday Ticket CBS feed (which might come from another city) is blacked out in your zipcode?

I don't have ST, but I understood something along those lines is the case, so that people who have access to their local will watch the game on said local so that they get presented with the local ads.

I could be wrong though, I never watch football.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#585 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:39 PM

NFL ST uses national feeds directly from CBS and FOX
DIRECTV employee

#586 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:55 PM

Yes but it is a much more difficult choice. I am an Choice Ultimate and Sports Pack subscriber, and I would need to spend additional money to get GOL-TV. I completely understand that the worth of the channels has diminished to such an extend that it would save DirecTV a lot of "per subscriber" fees if it moved it to a package that many do not subscribe to, or isn't easy to get without paying money on TOP of Ultimate and Sports Pack.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#587 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:57 PM

NFL ST uses national feeds directly from CBS and FOX

If Los Angeles CBS Channel 2 shows a certain game, will it then show on both channel 2 *and* the national feed through ST on channel 70x? Or will 70x be blacked out so the local affiliate can insert Los Angeles area commercials?

I am the Stig.

#588 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

If Los Angeles CBS Channel 2 shows a certain game, will it then show on both channel 2 *and* the national feed through ST on channel 70x? Or will 70x be blacked out so the local affiliate can insert Los Angeles area commercials?

ST feed is blacked out.

They both use the national feed but channel 2 puts its own local commercials on. Technically, DirecTV could do that now, but...

Which isn't really the problem. The problem is that the RATINGS go down if people are watching on ST. It isn't the specific commercials during that time period but the overall ratings of the local channel go down, affecting ALL commercial monies locally.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#589 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

The only way magic could have an affect is if both FOX and twc offered the exact same deal, line by line, top to bottom for everything. They'd they'd sign with twc because of magics relationship with the twc guy, maybe. You have to remember that FOX has a relationship right now with the Dodgers as it is.

That deal would have to mean the same market pentration, as well. Getting your games on TV is as important as rights fees. Games on TV are advertising. Something the Dodgers did not undertand in the 60s and 70s. I think they get it now.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#590 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

Just because you didn't see it, it didn't mean it didn't happen. I am telling you, I tuned in for the Angels game on 692, and it was blacked out. Low and behold, it was on ESPN.

Angel's 2012 schedule had 150 games on Fox Sports West, 12 games divided by national Fox and ESPN - obviously I caught one of those 12 games as the 692 channel was.... black, dark, no alternative programming, nothing.

Edit: It was this game for the record: http://espn.go.com/m...ameId=320919103

This makes no sense. You are in the LA market proper or are you in an outer/secondary market.

Why, if the game is going to be blacked out locally (and as far as I know, the only time ESPN has exclusive rights is Sunday night), would FSN even put the game on at all.

#591 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 160 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:32 PM

This makes no sense. You are in the LA market proper or are you in an outer/secondary market.

Why, if the game is going to be blacked out locally (and as far as I know, the only time ESPN has exclusive rights is Sunday night), would FSN even put the game on at all.

Exactly. There must have been a technical problem with Channel 692 that night, because under no plausible scenario should that game have been blacked out.

#592 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

They probably DID NOT put the game on at all indeed. However, I received a completely black screen and a "this program is not available in your area" message. This could also mean that DirecTV just screwed something up of course. Or it could mean Fox Sports West put the game in the guide info by accident, and DirecTV's system reacted to it. Who knows....

All I know is this.

- I know there is an Angels game on.
- I tune to Fox Sports West.
- "This game not available, use game search?"
- Game search finds game on ESPN.
- Tune to ESPN, watch game.

HOW this actually happened, who knows.... could be DirecTV's fault, could be Fox Sports West fault, could be that there was no actual programming set during those hours (even though FSW is fulltime HD).... Hell, it could even be the MLB's fault, perhaps they supply DirecTV with a list of games that need to be blacked to what market areas, and that time slot was on there.....who knows. All I know is.... the above happened. Can't imagine it being that important now either, really.

I am the Stig.

#593 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:54 PM

That isn't factual, but do as you wish.

You have your opinion and I have mine. Just like you have your opinion of the sports channels DirecTV does not carry or stopped carrying, and I have mine.

Let's leave it at that.

Sandra

#594 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

You have your opinion and I have mine. Just like you have your opinion of the sports channels DirecTV does not carry or stopped carrying, and I have mine.

Let's leave it at that.

Sandra

My precious statement stands. Your opinion is your own and is not supported by the facts.
DTV = Digital Television

#595 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

Unfortunately when I called I was told it was no longer available in HD...and I still would have signed up, AND paid an additional $14 per month or so for the Spanish package, just for the one channel I would watch...in SD no less...GolTV.

But when they tried to add the channel it did not show up, and after speaking to technical support they decided I needed a dish upgrade of some sort to receive the channel. So I passed.

Satelliteracer, if you have an alternative way for me to receive GolTV, I would love to hear it!

Sandra

#596 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

My precious statement stands. Your opinion is your own and is not supported by the facts.

Whatever. You never came back and said what sports channels DirecTV did not carry in the past, while I listed channels they do not carry right now.

You know...facts. ;)

Sandra

#597 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,261 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:30 PM

Angels games are either on Fox Sports West or part of their local deal with channel 13 (KCOP). Not exactly sure what the blackout question is. Yes, they were some games that were picked up nationally, but typically they are flex schedule deal where those games are picked up in season and not scheduled prior except for the very first games of the year on FOX, ESPN, etc.

Interesting note on the Angels website about DISH and UVERSE as it relates to the Angels: "If you're an AT&T U-verse or Dish customer, unfortunately, you will not receive all Angels telecasts this season. FOX Sports West this year has increased its TV schedule and will show approximately 150 Angels games in 2012. The additional games have been made available to local TV providers. Most distributors have decided to carry all the games, but a few have not, including AT&T U-verse and Dish. If you are not receiving all Angels telecasts, we encourage you to contact your local TV provider to request that they carry the full schedule of games"

The question is, why would FOX sports west even broadcast a game if its blacked out everywhere? I can not see a situation where a broadcast from them would be available to people outside our market, but blacked out in our market. Are flex games during the week exclusive? I thought only Sunday night was exclusive games.

#598 OFFLINE   DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:30 PM

ST feed is blacked out.

They both use the national feed but channel 2 puts its own local commercials on. Technically, DirecTV could do that now, but...

Which isn't really the problem. The problem is that the RATINGS go down if people are watching on ST. It isn't the specific commercials during that time period but the overall ratings of the local channel go down, affecting ALL commercial monies locally.

How do the networks know what channel is being watched? Does D* (or other TV services providers) keep track of what channel each receiver is tuned to?

By the way, in regards to ST and the national feeds shown in the 700's as opposed to the local CBS/Fox feeds, I'm pretty sure that both feeds show the exact same commercials here in Los Angeles (at least from what I can remember).

I watch ST on multiple screens, including Game Mix, (which shows the corresponding ST channel on one of the boxes) and it appears to me that both feeds show the exact same thing. If they are sneaking in local commercials that are different on the local feeds, I've never noticed.

If they truly are the same feeds (here in Los Angeles), they should at least lift the ST blackouts in our particular DMA, which would allow all feeds (when watched on multiple screens) to be in sync with one another. The LiL, West DNS, and OTA feeds are all just a bit off in relation to the ST, Game Mix, and Redzone feeds (which are all in sync).

I apologize for going way off topic. But the ST blackouts have always bugged me.
Slimline, WB616 (2), SWM8 (2), OTA, MRV (U)
Den: Sony KDS-60A3000 -> HR20-700; Sony KDL-40S2000 (5) -> HR20-700 (2) & HR20-100 (3)
Master Bed: Kuro PDP-5020FD -> HR34-700
Master Bath: Sony KDL-26S3000 + PSP -> HR24-200
Daughter's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR20-700
Son's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR24-500
Kitchen: Sharp 20" -> H24-700
Guest: Sharp 20" -> H20-100
Patio: SunbriteTV 3220 -> H25-500
Living Room: Sony 42" XBR Plasma -> HR20-100

Diagram of Setup

#599 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,261 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:32 PM

Doesn't use Sunday Ticket use the same feeds? And isn't it so that if a game is say.... on your local CBS affiliate, that the Sunday Ticket CBS feed (which might come from another city) is blacked out in your zipcode?

I don't have ST, but I understood something along those lines is the case, so that people who have access to their local will watch the game on said local so that they get presented with the local ads.

I could be wrong though, I never watch football.

I thinking more like, I live in San Diego, have Sunday ticket, but I want to watch the Minnesota Green Bay game, so my local channel gets nothing from me in terms of ratings and therefore ad revenue because I'm not watching my local team on its local channel.

#600 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:36 PM

Whatever. You never came back and said what sports channels DirecTV did not carry in the past, while I listed channels they do not carry right now.

You know...facts. ;)

Sandra

I've been using the iOS app and do not have access to the list. Let me know when you can prove your false statements.
DTV = Digital Television

Protected By... spam firewall...And...