Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lakers New Regional TV Network - NOW ON THE AIR

• Please log in to reply
2096 replies to this topic

#601 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

I've been using the iOS app and do not have access to the list. Let me know when you can prove your false statements.

Huh? I already listed a whole bunch of sports channels that are not currently being carried by DirecTV, were not carried for a long period of time, or were dropped.

You said there were channels in the past that were not carried by DirecTV, but have listed nothing.

Let me know when you can support your statement with facts. ;)

Sandra

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#602 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

I'll be frank, I've been a DirecTV customer since 2003. I left Comcast because of their crappy service and sparse sports offerings. I stumbled upon these forums in 2006 while I was looking for help for something that I don't exactly remember. Obviously, from my post count, I rarely come here and post even less and in fact the only time I do visit regularly is during Sunday Ticket renewal.

However, over the last nine years (small glitches and annoyances aside) I've been very satisfied with my service and I've never felt the need or desire to share my thoughts about "it" over that time one way or the other.

But something has recently changed, regardless of the cause, I no longer feel that way, I no longer get the programming I enjoy. Even just a few years ago, upon hearing of an upcoming release of a new sports channel that I would find interesting, I wouldn't worry at all, as I knew DirecTV would have it. My neighbors grew envious as they were straddled with Comcast and Dish and soon enough they switched.

I no longer feel that way, I now assume the complete opposite and my neighbors agree, things have gone down hill. I admit, I held DirecTV in high esteem over that time frame, but their culture has shifted and with it my feelings towards them. I'm sure my sentiment is shared by many others.

TWC, the PAC-12 network, just ripples of what's to come IMO. Things change and they typically don't always change for the better. We're witnessing the unfolding of DirecTV's "dark days" IMO. Whether they pull a full Dish remains to be seen.

#603 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

How do the networks know what channel is being watched? Does D* (or other TV services providers) keep track of what channel each receiver is tuned to?

By the way, in regards to ST and the national feeds shown in the 700's as opposed to the local CBS/Fox feeds, I'm pretty sure that both feeds show the exact same commercials here in Los Angeles (at least from what I can remember).

I watch ST on multiple screens, including Game Mix, (which shows the corresponding ST channel on one of the boxes) and it appears to me that both feeds show the exact same thing. If they are sneaking in local commercials that are different on the local feeds, I've never noticed.

If they truly are the same feeds (here in Los Angeles), they should at least lift the ST blackouts in our particular DMA, which would allow all feeds (when watched on multiple screens) to be in sync with one another. The LiL, West DNS, and OTA feeds are all just a bit off in relation to the ST, Game Mix, and Redzone feeds (which are all in sync).

I apologize for going way off topic. But the ST blackouts have always bugged me.

Los Angeles is differnet than most the country because what we have are also the location for the national channel. You see the differences more if you are in say, Minnesota or Green Bay. Heck even Salt Lake City. I think the only two cities are Los Angeles and ny that you never really see any differences from the big four, but I am not positive.

#604 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:43 PM

I've been using the iOS app and do not have access to the list. Let me know when you can prove your false statements.

Maybe you two could put this part of the debate on hold till you get the chance to post your list latter today hopefully?

#605 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:43 PM

You can wait long. Hoosier feels he never has to back up his statements with facts, his statement is the Messiah by itself. :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#606 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:45 PM

Slightly offtopic, but since NFL was discussed: Los Angeles and AEG just signed a 1.2 Billion dollar construction deal for a NFL stadium in downtown, and AEG is reportedly talking to "several teams". NFL will come back to Los Angeles.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#607 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

Maybe you two could put this part of the debate on hold till you get the chance to post your list latter today hopefully?

I agree. No point in bickering until he can actually name the channels he's talking about.

Sandra

#608 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:48 PM

I'll be frank, I've been a DirecTV customer since 2003. I left Comcast because of their crappy service and sparse sports offerings. I stumbled upon these forums in 2006 while I was looking for help for something that I don't exactly remember. Obviously, from my post count, I rarely come here and post even less and in fact the only time I do visit regularly is during Sunday Ticket renewal.

However, over the last nine years (small glitches and annoyances aside) I've been very satisfied with my service and I've never felt the need or desire to share my thoughts about "it" over that time one way or the other.

But something has recently changed, regardless of the cause, I no longer feel that way, I no longer get the programming I enjoy. Even just a few years ago, upon hearing of an upcoming release of a new sports channel that I would find interesting, I wouldn't worry at all, as I knew DirecTV would have it. My neighbors grew envious as they were straddled with Comcast and Dish and soon enough they switched.

I no longer feel that way, I now assume the complete opposite and my neighbors agree, things have gone down hill. I admit, I held DirecTV in high esteem over that time frame, but their culture has shifted and with it my feelings towards them. I'm sure my sentiment is shared by many others.

TWC, the PAC-12 network, just ripples of what's to come IMO. Things change and they typically don't always change for the better. We're witnessing the unfolding of DirecTV's "dark days" IMO. Whether they pull a full Dish remains to be seen.

The problem I see is that all providers are abut to that've the same issues. The new deal MLB just signed is very very bad for all of us. Some with the nils latest deals. Frankly, until the stop these ridiculous increases, all providers are going to start losing some channels, and stop adding new ones at the same rates as before unless they start having more different packages that better align with what people want to pay for, and that's just a giant sink whole when we get to that point.

#609 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:49 PM

Slightly offtopic, but since NFL was discussed: Los Angeles and AEG just signed a 1.2 Billion dollar construction deal for a NFL stadium in downtown, and AEG is reportedly talking to "several teams". NFL will come back to Los Angeles.

Bet if they build it they will get two teams.... A least I think that's their goal.

#610 OFFLINE   DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:50 PM

Los Angeles is differnet than most the country because what we have are also the location for the national channel. You see the differences more if you are in say, Minnesota or Green Bay. Heck even Salt Lake City. I think the only two cities are Los Angeles and ny that you never really see any differences from the big four, but I am not positive.

Exactly. That was my point.

I understand that other cities would have their own commercials. However, if the Los Angeles feed is the national ST feed (thus showing the same commercials), then why wouldn't D* allow our DMA to have the corresponding ST feed made available to us here in our DMA (or particular zip code)?

Again, that brings up my first question, how are ratings determined? Do the networks know what particular channel I'm tuned to? I'm watching the exact same feed, so what difference would it make if I were tuned to channel 705, for example, as opposed to channel 2?
Slimline, WB616 (2), SWM8 (2), OTA, MRV (U)
Den: Sony KDS-60A3000 -> HR20-700; Sony KDL-40S2000 (5) -> HR20-700 (2) & HR20-100 (3)
Master Bed: Kuro PDP-5020FD -> HR34-700
Master Bath: Sony KDL-26S3000 + PSP -> HR24-200
Daughter's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR20-700
Son's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR24-500
Kitchen: Sharp 20" -> H24-700
Guest: Sharp 20" -> H20-100
Patio: SunbriteTV 3220 -> H25-500
Living Room: Sony 42" XBR Plasma -> HR20-100

Diagram of Setup

#611 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:53 PM

Exactly. That was my point.

I understand that other cities would have their own commercials. However, if the Los Angeles feed is the national ST feed (thus showing the same commercials), then why wouldn't D* allow our DMA to have the corresponding ST feed made available to us here in our DMA (or particular zip code)?

Again, that brings up my first question, how are ratings determined? Do the networks know what particular channel I'm tuned to? I'm watching the exact same feed, so what difference would it make if I were tuned to channel 705, for example, as opposed to channel 2?

Consistency. That's the only thing I can think of for us in Los Angeles having a charges game blacked out on the st channel.

#612 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:55 PM

I don't think it is DirecTV's "dark days". It is the ridiculous amounts of money involved in pro-sports. TWC is paying DirecTV a whopping $150 million dollars per year for 20 years, totally $3 Billion for a TV deal. And that of course is by far the only one.... pro sports teams in all leagues are signing deals and contracts that SEEM (I only google a little) to be double, sometimes triple the amount they were 10 years ago.

Didn't they get the message that the economy crashed in 2008? And this is happening everywhere.

I don't know what they currently pay for Fox Sports West, but I am willing to bet it is NOT $3.95 per subscriber, even with Lakers, Dodgers, Angels, Kings, Ducks, Clippers being present, plus MLS. Some of that is now being split to TWC's new networks who will charge a premium. Fox Sports also carried PAC12 sports which now goes to its own channel.

I would not be surprised that compared to the beginning of 2012, that Los Angeles sports viewers will be confronted with at least DOUBLE, if not TRIPLE the amount of money paid for local sports channels. Granted, you can iron this out over the whole nation, but there is Houston, there is New Orleans, there is Philly, there is CSN Northwest, and there are others.

On top of that regular channel owners like Viacom have been doubling their fees, in some cases of locals media companies demanded as much as a 600% increase.

These types of negotiations are getting expensive at a MUCH faster rate than our income, and DirecTV's income grows.... so they have to make cuts, they have to make decissions. I have been of the opinion that DirecTV would carry PAC12, TWC Sportsnet, and others.... but I am no longer convinced. The amounts of money involved is SO large now, there is no telling what will happen.

I am the Stig.

#613 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:01 PM

Huh? I already listed a whole bunch of sports channels that are not currently being carried by DirecTV, were not carried for a long period of time, or were dropped.

You said there were channels in the past that were not carried by DirecTV, but have listed nothing.

Sandra

...the list of channels in the past. I do not have access to it where I currently am. There have been CSN's and FSN's in the past that have not been carried. No, I do not have list handy right now. You listed a handful of channels, most if which come with a legitimate reason for not having been added. No provider has every channel. No provider has, or has had, every sports channel. DirecTV has far more sports channel than any other provider in this hemisphere, possibly more than any other provider in the world.

Your claim that somehow their willingness or desire to add sports channels has diminished is entirely false. All you have provided to back your claims up is a very short list of sports channels they do not have...as if that is a new development.
DTV = Digital Television

#614 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,704 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:04 PM

TWC is paying DirecTV a whopping $150 million dollars per year for 20 years, totally $3 Billion for a TV deal. .

Really? Wow! ;)

#615 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:05 PM

I don't think it is DirecTV's "dark days". It is the ridiculous amounts of money involved in pro-sports. TWC is paying DirecTV a whopping $150 million dollars per year for 20 years, totally $3 Billion for a TV deal. And that of course is by far the only one.... pro sports teams in all leagues are signing deals and contracts that SEEM (I only google a little) to be double, sometimes triple the amount they were 10 years ago.

Didn't they get the message that the economy crashed in 2008? And this is happening everywhere.

I don't know what they currently pay for Fox Sports West, but I am willing to bet it is NOT $3.95 per subscriber, even with Lakers, Dodgers, Angels, Kings, Ducks, Clippers being present, plus MLS. Some of that is now being split to TWC's new networks who will charge a premium. Fox Sports also carried PAC12 sports which now goes to its own channel.

I would not be surprised that compared to the beginning of 2012, that Los Angeles sports viewers will be confronted with at least DOUBLE, if not TRIPLE the amount of money paid for local sports channels. Granted, you can iron this out over the whole nation, but there is Houston, there is New Orleans, there is Philly, there is CSN Northwest, and there are others.

On top of that regular channel owners like Viacom have been doubling their fees, in some cases of locals media companies demanded as much as a 600% increase.

These types of negotiations are getting expensive at a MUCH faster rate than our income, and DirecTV's income grows.... so they have to make cuts, they have to make decissions. I have been of the opinion that DirecTV would carry PAC12, TWC Sportsnet, and others.... but I am no longer convinced. The amounts of money involved is SO large now, there is no telling what will happen.

I'd bet that our two FOX RSNs are getting more than 3.95 combined. I fact if someone told me they where $5 - $6 for the two for local subs,I would not be surprised at all.

#616 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:17 PM

Unfortunately when I called I was told it was no longer available in HD...and I still would have signed up, AND paid an additional $14 per month or so for the Spanish package, just for the one channel I would watch...in SD no less...GolTV.

But when they tried to add the channel it did not show up, and after speaking to technical support they decided I needed a dish upgrade of some sort to receive the channel. So I passed.

Satelliteracer, if you have an alternative way for me to receive GolTV, I would love to hear it!

Sandra

It's now on the 119 slot so depending on what dish you have, you might need a new dish. If you live in a market in which your local channels are not coming from 119 in SD, then you almost certainly would need a new dish unless you have one of the older 5 LNB HD KaKu dishes.

I was merely pointing out that it is still available. GolTV is only carried, to my knowledge, by a handful of providers (D* and perhaps TWC in one or two of their markets, cut not nationally). Dish had it, then dropped it, then added it again then dropped it again (I think)...not sure if they still have it or not. I believe Gol TV was suing DISH last I heard. U-Verse and Comcast have it also for Spanish only packages, same place D* has put it. It had about 8 million homes total across all distributors I believe.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#617 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:21 PM

Maybe. I've been hearing this for several decades now. If I'm an owner in another town, I leverage that information to get a sweetheart deal from my own state \ city. Why move, have to rebuild a brand and fan base, and be despised back home for yanking the team out. Instead, threaten to move.

That being said, Chargers are certainly possible as are the Lambs..I mean Rams and Jax. Oakland. Wouldn't surprise me if a team comes, nor would it surprise me if they don't but get brand new sandboxes to play in back home.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#618 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:30 PM

I don't think it is DirecTV's "dark days". It is the ridiculous amounts of money involved in pro-sports. TWC is paying DirecTV a whopping $150 million dollars per year for 20 years, totally $3 Billion for a TV deal.

I think you mean paying the Lakers, not Directv.
DIRECTV employee

#619 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:37 PM

Your claim that somehow their willingness or desire to add sports channels has diminished is entirely false. All you have provided to back your claims up is a very short list of sports channels they do not have...as if that is a new development.

I stated DirecTV does not carry virtually every available sports channel like they used to, and provided a list of those channels. You know...a little thing called FACTS.

You can only state that there are a bunch of sports channels they have not carried in the past...yet you are unable to list any of them. No FACTS.

Why don't you return to the discussion when you are able to actually find your 'list' that supports your argument. Hopefully you'll find it somewhere...

Sandra

#620 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:37 PM

I think you mean paying the Lakers, not Directv.

Yes, you are correct. Typo. :)

I am the Stig.

spam firewall