Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lakers New Regional TV Network - NOW ON THE AIR

• Please log in to reply
2096 replies to this topic

#621 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

I stated DirecTV does not carry virtually every available sports channel like they used to, and provided a list of those channels. You know...a little thing called FACTS.

You can only state that there are a bunch of sports channels they have not carried in the past...yet you are unable to list any of them. No FACTS.

Why don't you return to the discussion when you are able to actually find your 'list' that supports your argument. Hopefully you'll find it somewhere...

Sandra

They never used to carry virtually every available sports channel. Never happened. That was your claim and did nothing to support it. It was your claim, not mine.

CSN Philly
Cox Sports New Orleans

Those are two off the top of my head. We are talking about current information here, but historical data that I haven't looked at in a very long time.
DTV = Digital Television

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#622 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:00 PM

I'll be frank, I've been a DirecTV customer since 2003. I left Comcast because of their crappy service and sparse sports offerings. I stumbled upon these forums in 2006 while I was looking for help for something that I don't exactly remember. Obviously, from my post count, I rarely come here and post even less and in fact the only time I do visit regularly is during Sunday Ticket renewal.

However, over the last nine years (small glitches and annoyances aside) I've been very satisfied with my service and I've never felt the need or desire to share my thoughts about "it" over that time one way or the other.

But something has recently changed, regardless of the cause, I no longer feel that way, I no longer get the programming I enjoy. Even just a few years ago, upon hearing of an upcoming release of a new sports channel that I would find interesting, I wouldn't worry at all, as I knew DirecTV would have it. My neighbors grew envious as they were straddled with Comcast and Dish and soon enough they switched.

I no longer feel that way, I now assume the complete opposite and my neighbors agree, things have gone down hill. I admit, I held DirecTV in high esteem over that time frame, but their culture has shifted and with it my feelings towards them. I'm sure my sentiment is shared by many others.

TWC, the PAC-12 network, just ripples of what's to come IMO. Things change and they typically don't always change for the better. We're witnessing the unfolding of DirecTV's "dark days" IMO. Whether they pull a full Dish remains to be seen.

I echo that completely.. I switched last Friday because of Pac12 networks, even with heavy discounts and friend referrals left on my Directv account. Times have changed!

#623 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

They never used to carry virtually every available sports channel. Never happened. That was your claim and did nothing to support it. It was your claim, not mine.

CSN Philly
Cox Sports New Orleans

Both of which they still do not carry now, for the same reason they did not carry them in the past.

Gotcha. Great list. :rolleyes:

Sandra

#624 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:12 PM

Both of which they still do not carry now, for the same reason they did not carry them in the past.

Gotcha. Great list. :rolleyes:

Sandra

Still waiting on you to support your claims...which you made first.
DTV = Digital Television

#625 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:13 PM

Unfortunately when I called I was told it was no longer available in HD...and I still would have signed up, AND paid an additional $14 per month or so for the Spanish package, just for the one channel I would watch...in SD no less...GolTV.

But when they tried to add the channel it did not show up, and after speaking to technical support they decided I needed a dish upgrade of some sort to receive the channel. So I passed.

Satelliteracer, if you have an alternative way for me to receive GolTV, I would love to hear it!

Sandra

Spanish package would be required and if you don't have a SL 5, it broadcasts on the 119, then you would need to get one.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#626 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,022 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:16 PM

She said they carried almost all but a couple. You said she was wrong. You have to prove it by listing all the ones they didn't to show there is enough to not be considered most channels. And they should also be major stations not under water basket weaving.

#627 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:34 PM

She said they carried almost all but a couple. You said she was wrong. You have to prove it by listing all the ones they didn't to show there is enough to not be considered most channels. And they should also be major stations not under water basket weaving.

No, she said they used to carry virtually every sports channel and that had changed. I said that wasn't true...that they hadn't changed from carrying "virtually every sports channel" to not doing so. She listed a handful of missing channels, but did nothing to back up her claim that this is different from the norm. She made the initial claims, not me. I listed two RSN's they still do not have. There are many, many others which they did not add at launch, but after some time had passed.
DTV = Digital Television

#628 OFFLINE   TravelFan1

TravelFan1

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:52 PM

Satelliteracer, as far as I can remember Goltv is widely carried by Comcast subscribers of the sports pack and, in the areas that were upgraded, in HD.

I'm also upset that since I subscribed to directv in 2011, I've already lost fox deportes and goltv, both channels that were removed from the Sportspak this year, even thought my sportspak fee remains the same. And I refuse to pay an additional 15 bucks for the hispanic package until these 2 plus espn deportes are in HD.

Rip: Comcast: July 2005 - April 2009 & Dish Network: April 2009-July 2011
Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list:BBC World News, Fox Deportes HD, WatchEspn, FoxSports2Go

#629 OFFLINE   TravelFan1

TravelFan1

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

I'll be frank, I've been a DirecTV customer since 2003. I left Comcast because of their crappy service and sparse sports offerings. I stumbled upon these forums in 2006 while I was looking for help for something that I don't exactly remember. Obviously, from my post count, I rarely come here and post even less and in fact the only time I do visit regularly is during Sunday Ticket renewal.

However, over the last nine years (small glitches and annoyances aside) I've been very satisfied with my service and I've never felt the need or desire to share my thoughts about "it" over that time one way or the other.

But something has recently changed, regardless of the cause, I no longer feel that way, I no longer get the programming I enjoy. Even just a few years ago, upon hearing of an upcoming release of a new sports channel that I would find interesting, I wouldn't worry at all, as I knew DirecTV would have it. My neighbors grew envious as they were straddled with Comcast and Dish and soon enough they switched.

I no longer feel that way, I now assume the complete opposite and my neighbors agree, things have gone down hill. I admit, I held DirecTV in high esteem over that time frame, but their culture has shifted and with it my feelings towards them. I'm sure my sentiment is shared by many others.

TWC, the PAC-12 network, just ripples of what's to come IMO. Things change and they typically don't always change for the better. We're witnessing the unfolding of DirecTV's "dark days" IMO. Whether they pull a full Dish remains to be seen.

Satelliteracer, if I may, print this post and show to your higher ups at directv. Until 2012, the average joe's perception of directv was Bambler said, a new sports channel comes or an innovative way to deliver sports, Directv would carry it, no problem. And people would pay a premium for that. Now the perception is starting to change. I'm just a Travelfan :) but imho, directv is saying to all sport teams, conferences, etc, that those days of carrying sports channels at any cost are over. Now, what if during renewal time the sport channels call Directv bluff and, say for argument's sake, pull a RSN from Directv during nba playoff time or in September? Trust me, for the true sports fans, not even 2 years of free service would keep, say, an yankee fan w/out YES.

I think if Directv doesn't carry the Lakers channel within a month of nba season start, and the lakers start on a great run, something very likely to happen, there will be lots of subscriber losses in la market. And once these subscribers are gone, they are gone.

Even the Sunday ticket, to the residential subscriber, isn't the draw the it used to be, since nfl created their red zone channel.

Rip: Comcast: July 2005 - April 2009 & Dish Network: April 2009-July 2011
Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list:BBC World News, Fox Deportes HD, WatchEspn, FoxSports2Go

#630 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

I guess what I don't understand is this idea that D* isn't carrying the Lakers channel. No one has said D* isn't carrying it nor has anyone said they aren't carrying it (please, do not cut and paste a Facebook screenshot of a response from someone). A lot of jumping to conclusions. Right now, Cox, Charter, Comcast, FIOS, AT&T, DISH, DIRECTV, etc, etc are not carrying it. NO ONE is carrying it right now. That will certainly change, but to a large extent Hoosier and some others are correct. We're talking about essentially two channels here, Pac 12 (which many providers do not have) and the Lakers Channel (which NO ONE other than the owner of the channel has). Some of the other examples, CSN Philly for example...has anyone else picked up that channel?

Now let's look at some recent examples in which D* most certainly has added sports and somehow these are not being recognized. :(

beIN sports was just launched. DIRECTV launched it. Many others didn't.
GolTV is still on DIRECTV and I might add that DIRECTV remains one of the few distributors that carries it
Universal Sports was added last year...Dish added it 7 months later. Many others still don't have it.
Fox Sports San Diego games added
Hornets games in New Orleans will be made available this year
Etc, etc.

Those are a lot of additions in the last year for a company supposedly not interested in adding sports.

Let's see how things play out...way too much jumping to conclusions, especially for a channel that 0.0% of companies not named Time Warner Cable have signed up for. I don't know how this stuff will go down, but neither does anyone else and there have been quite a few statements in this thread lacking all the details or in some cases, stating things inaccurately. In my opinion.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#631 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,859 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:53 PM

Let's keep it civil people. Make your points, ask your questions, but keep it civil.

I'm just sayin'.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#632 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,022 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:34 PM

Satelliteracer, as far as I can remember Goltv is widely carried by Comcast subscribers of the sports pack and, in the areas that were upgraded, in HD.

I'm also upset that since I subscribed to directv in 2011, I've already lost fox deportes and goltv, both channels that were removed from the Sportspak this year, even thought my sportspak fee remains the same. And I refuse to pay an additional 15 bucks for the hispanic package until these 2 plus espn deportes are in HD.

I have to wonder if part of the reason those two channels where dropped is so that they would not need to increase the price of the package. I wonder if they also have a lot of data that might say that almost all the people watching those channels already also had the Spanish package. Who knows?

#633 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,022 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:38 PM

Well that's huge for New Orleans subs if you ask me. Good for them! Glad to see it!

#634 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,966 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:25 PM

While touting it, even Jeanie Buss Lakers Exec. VP for business operations admits she doesn't have TWC SportsNet, and has to go to her boyfriend Phil Jackson's home to watch it for now.

Ridiculous ... :rolleyes:

http://www.latimes.c...story?track=rss

#635 OFFLINE   pbg

pbg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:26 PM

We're talking about essentially two channels here, Pac 12 (which many providers do not have) and the Lakers Channel (which NO ONE other than the owner of the channel has). Some of the other examples, CSN Philly for example...has anyone else picked up that channel?

Hey, what about us Blazer fans? what are we, chopped liver ? :lol:
It's difficult, but we understand the situation and support DirecTV's position.
pbg
TOTAL CHOICE Plus - HR22-100 , HR23-700
Sunday Ticket - Super Fan | MLB Extra Innings | NHL Center Ice | NBA League Pass

#636 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:12 AM

Whatever...I'm done debating semantics with you here. You're not worth it.

You have your opinion, I have mine, we won't change each other's opinion, so let's leave it at that.

Enjoy your day.

Sandra

#637 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:25 AM

Satelliteracer, first of all I want to thank you for all the amazing information you dispense here, and secondly I want to agree to some extent that we (indluding me) are jumping to some conclusions here...I think the lack of the Pac-12 networkS being added is making us feel like DirecTV has somehow moved their line in the sand regarding negotiations.

I also want to add that I absolutely ADORE DirecTV, and would never in a million years switch to any other provider. While I do question decisions and a possible change in philosophy, overall I think DirecTV is well worth the over $200 per month I spend...I buy a LOT of sports packages!

I think that's actually my point...I would not mind spending an additional X amount of dollars if that meant receiving the Pac-12 networkS, TWC, GolTV, and anything else that is out there!

I guess what I don't understand is this idea that D* isn't carrying the Lakers channel. No one has said D* isn't carrying it nor has anyone said they aren't carrying it (please, do not cut and paste a Facebook screenshot of a response from someone). A lot of jumping to conclusions. Right now, Cox, Charter, Comcast, FIOS, AT&T, DISH, DIRECTV, etc, etc are not carrying it. NO ONE is carrying it right now. That will certainly change, but to a large extent Hoosier and some others are correct. We're talking about essentially two channels here, Pac 12 (which many providers do not have) and the Lakers Channel (which NO ONE other than the owner of the channel has). Some of the other examples, CSN Philly for example...has anyone else picked up that channel?

Just based on your tone I'm hopeful the Laker channel will be picked up before the season starts. I lived in LA for a few years and have a great affinity for the area.

There are reports that the Qataris are actually paying providers to pick up beIN Sports. Not sure how accurate that is, but I read that in more than one place.

GolTV is still on DIRECTV and I might add that DIRECTV remains one of the few distributors that carries it

I just do not understand why it could not be left in the sports pack. What was the reasoning behind moving it to a Spanish programming package? I always watched GolTV in English! And while they did lose La Liga games, they do still have a large inventory of leagues and competitions I like to watch.

Universal Sports was added last year...Dish added it 7 months later. Many others still don't have it.
Etc, etc.

Good points all. League Pass has carried Cox New Orleans games in the past when there was no other feed available, albeit in SD only. Are you saying that's changed and it will be available in HD? Is that for League Pass only?

Thanks again satelliteracer!!!

Sandra

#638 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,162 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:29 AM

Now let's look at some recent examples in which D* most certainly has added sports and somehow these are not being recognized. :(

Etc, etc.

Those are a lot of additions in the last year for a company supposedly not interested in adding sports.

Let's see how things play out...way too much jumping to conclusions, especially for a channel that 0.0% of companies not named Time Warner Cable have signed up for. I don't know how this stuff will go down, but neither does anyone else and there have been quite a few statements in this thread lacking all the details or in some cases, stating things inaccurately. In my opinion.

i also have bright house cable beside directv. i have read that a few time warner systems are carrying the new channel because someone commented about the lack of content on the network.

and my cable company still has gol tv in hd.

#639 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,022 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:53 PM

Good points all. League Pass has carried Cox New Orleans games in the past when there was no other feed available, albeit in SD only. Are you saying that's changed and it will be available in HD? Is that for League Pass only?

Thanks again satelliteracer!!!

Sandra

New Orleans RSN changed affiliation from cox to fox this year and is now in a similar situation as San Diego FOX RSN so I'd guess that he is saying they are picking it up as a part time RSN in general and not just league pass.

#640 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:01 PM

New Orleans RSN changed affiliation from cox to fox this year and is now in a similar situation as San Diego FOX RSN so I'd guess that he is saying they are picking it up as a part time RSN in general and not just league pass.

Oh OK, got it....I misunderstood satelliteracer's post, thinking DirecTV somehow found a way to procure Cox telecasts. The Hornets switching to a Fox RSN actually makes much more sense. Thank you.

Sandra

spam firewall