Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lakers New Regional TV Network - NOW ON THE AIR

• Please log in to reply
2096 replies to this topic

#681 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:59 PM

I don't think anyone cares except for you. I perfectly fine paying a little more in a couple of years. You expect to pay more for service in two years. That's how companies make money. Drop all your providers and go over the Air if you don't like it or can't handle the expense.

What?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#682 OFFLINE   silkypimp

silkypimp

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:59 PM

Semantics?

Trolling?

#683 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:01 PM

Trolling?

Actually, I think you're trolling. They call you up as reinforcements?

#684 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:06 PM

This forum is biased crap...

#685 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,226 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:10 PM

If it's that important to you, switch or double up.

Really? Don't insult my intelligence.

Yes "really"

What's the matter with you?

You wrote inkahauts in post #664;

If it's that important to you, switch or double up.

To which I responded in post #674;

As with many others, he (that is "inkahauts") can do neither even if he wanted;

He (that is "inkahauts") lives in an area outside TWC's service area, served by Cox or Charter cable.

#686 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:10 PM

http://www.dbstalk.c...689&postcount=4

It's been exclusive to DirecTV for about 17-18 years now. It isn't going anywhere.

I wouldn't be 100% certain of that. The NFL may price DTV out, but the question then becomes who will take it and still deliver it nationally? Only DISH has the infrastructure to do it. Cable does not. Too wide a distribution the NFL won't go for, but DTV isn't going to pay $3 billion on a product they already lose money on at $1 billion.

#687 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:12 PM

NFL Sunday Ticket

You do realize that only about 12% of DTV subs have NFL Sunday Ticket. Right? So if they lose it, how exactly is that going to be DTV's armegeddon? If anything, it will free them of a $1 billion expense (for which they do not make that up in revenue on sales of that product).

I would love to hear your explanation of this.

#688 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:15 PM

I wouldn't be 100% certain of that. The NFL may price DTV out, but the question then becomes who will take it and still deliver it nationally? Only DISH has the infrastructure to do it. Cable does not. Too wide a distribution the NFL won't go for, but DTV isn't going to pay $3 billion on a product they already lose money on at $1 billion.

DirecTV has been lucky IMO. But you have to think the executives at other providers don't see DirecTV's Achilles heal like I do, coupled with those greedy NFL owners.

If I had to guess, DirecTV's exclusivity is as good as gone come 2015.

#689 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

DirecTV has been lucky IMO. But you have to think the executives at other providers don't see DirecTV's Achilles heal like I do, coupled with those greedy NFL owners.

If I had to guess, DirecTV's exclusivity is as good as gone come 2015.

It might be, but how does that kill DTV as you suggest? Only 12% of their customers have it and more than likely if they do lose it, they would still keep it but not have it exclusive. Which, in that case, means many of those customers wouldn't leave anyway.

#690 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:18 PM

You do realize that only about 12% of DTV subs have NFL Sunday Ticket. Right? So if they lose it, how exactly is that going to be DTV's armegeddon? If anything, it will free them of a $1 billion expense (for which they do not make that up in revenue on sales of that product).

I would love to hear your explanation of this.

That's what's great about capitalism. The greater the exposure, the greater the return.

#691 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:20 PM

Listen, if the NFL opens up Sunday Ticket, like I think they will, subscriber numbers will skyrocket.

#692 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:20 PM

Dish is the only option and they won't be touching it. DirecTV will seal it right back up. It was $4 billion last time, it will go up, and DirecTV will make it happen.
DTV = Digital Television

#693 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:21 PM

That's what's great about capitalism. The greater the exposure, the greater the return.

I guess I'll try one more time. If 12% of their customers have NFL Sunday Ticket and 88% do not subscribe to it, how is losing that service going to be the end of DTV? They will save a ton of cash, still have 88% of customers that could give a rip about the NFL and the 12% that do subscribe, many would stay anyway because DTV likely would still keep the service as a non-exclusive. Very unlikely the NFL disrupts 2 million customers to force them to switch. No different than Apple didn't force all iPhone users to give up AT&T and switch to Verizon.

Again, I look forward to your answer.

#694 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:22 PM

Listen, if the NFL opens up Sunday Ticket, like I think they will, subscriber numbers will skyrocket.

What are you basing this on? Satelliteracer has explained the reasons it is exclusive before.
DTV = Digital Television

#695 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:23 PM

Dish is the only option and they won't be touching it. DirecTV will seal it right back up. It was $4 billion last time, it will go up, and DirecTV will make it happen.

I have a number of friends over there, you may be right but I can tell you they lose money right now on it. I do not think the NFL will ever give it to cable as that would destroy their network deals. Not worth it. FOX, CBS and ESPN would be go crazy pissed nuts if they did that. It would devalue their deals potentially.

That leaves only Dish. Unlikely, but could happen.

#696 OFFLINE   silkypimp

silkypimp

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

What are you basing this on? Satelliteracer has explained the reasons it is exclusive before.

She already said if she had to guess they would lose it in 2015.

#697 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:25 PM

As an unbiased participant, I don't need to run the numbers or hide behind my accountant. Get your head out of the cloud.

#698 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:31 PM

As an unbiased participant, I don't need to run the numbers or hide behind my accountant. Get your head out of the cloud.

Uhm, ok. Well, I guess you got nothing then. It was an honest question I asked, but if you aren't willing to answer it (or perhaps when presented with the facts that only 12% of their customers have the product, you realized you were toast).

Whatever. You joined in 2006 and 30% of your posts in 6 years are today. Weird.

#699 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:33 PM

I will be back back, though. The more you try and insult me, the funnier it is to me.

#700 OFFLINE   silkypimp

silkypimp

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:36 PM

I will be back back, though. The more you try and insult me, the funnier it is to me.

Going to grab another drink ehhh?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...