Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lakers New Regional TV Network - NOW ON THE AIR

• Please log in to reply
2096 replies to this topic

#701 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:38 PM

Uhm, ok. Well, I guess you got nothing then. It was an honest question I asked, but if you aren't willing to answer it (or perhaps when presented with the facts that only 12% of their customers have the product, you realized you were toast).

Whatever. You joined in 2006 and 30% of your posts in 6 years are today. Weird.

What I'm saying is that given the opportunity, I bet 3 million Comcast and/or dish subscribers would sign up for Sunday Ticket.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#702 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,377 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:55 PM

If it's that important to you, switch or double up.

Can't, I'm in charter land...

I like how you avoided the main parts of my questions.

#703 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,377 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:00 PM

I am angry at DirecTV for having to double up because everyone is greedy, but I've observed and learned a lot.

This is a catch 22. As things keep rising in costs, doubling up or just having one carrier having everything will likely be close to the same price. I don't blame DIrectv, Dish, or any other carrier for that, I blame the leagues that I like to watch for charging so much to broadcasters in the first place, and then getting the bill passed on to me.

Its a ridiculous cycle.

#704 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,377 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:07 PM

Listen, if the NFL opens up Sunday Ticket, like I think they will, subscriber numbers will skyrocket.

That is something the NFL can not allow to happen. That would undercut their new deals with the broadcast networks, and cause a calamity of problems for them. They actually make more money by having it with less distribution rather than more.

Kind of the opposite of TWC lakers channel. They need wider distribution to make money on this venture, where as the NFL actually needs to keep ST more niche to make money on it, or it undermines their other money revenues. The one thing they get that Hollywood doesn't with all their movies coming from theaters to ppv and dvd in a matter of just a few months, instead of over the course of a couple years like it used to be.

#705 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,377 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:10 PM

What I'm saying is that given the opportunity, I bet 3 million Comcast and/or dish subscribers would sign up for Sunday Ticket.

And that has zero to do with the NFL and their thought process of how to make money with ST. those 3 million customers from other providers would cost them more money than they would gain on the deal with comcast.

Again, thats the opposite as will happen for TWC iof they get Directv to pick it up. TWC needs either all other cable operators to pick up the channel, or Directv and or Dish.

#706 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:18 PM

And that has zero to do with the NFL and their thought process of how to make money with ST. those 3 million customers from other providers would cost them more money than they would gain on the deal with comcast.

Again, thats the opposite as will happen for TWC iof they get Directv to pick it up. TWC needs either all other cable operators to pick up the channel, or Directv and or Dish.

If the NFL can get X from 1 for out if market games, what is to stop them from getting Y from 1, 2 and 3?

If you think Sunday Ticket degrades from "home" advertising, I really don't think it would exist in the first place if that were the case, but keep deluding yourself.

#707 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,175 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:46 PM

If the NFL can get X from 1 for out if market games, what is to stop them from getting Y from 1, 2 and 3? ...

Because, like inkahauts said whatever they gain from "Y" (cable/Telco) will be more than offset by what they'll lose from "Z" the national TV network agreements. Because "Y" will be taking viewers away from their broadcasts.

... If you think Sunday Ticket degrades from "home" advertising, I really don't think it would exist in the first place if that were the case, but keep deluding yourself.

It doesn't degrade "home" advertising, but ST would degrade network viewership if shown concurrently on "Y" (cable/Telco) ST broadcasts.

Therefore, the networks can't charge nearly enough for advertising slots to cover their costs.

#708 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:58 PM

It's funny to me, but if you think the executives at CBS or FOX had a say in how many subscribers would erode into their "home" games due to "Sunday Ticket" is laughable. In any regards, I'm sure they get a slice of the advertising pie regardless.

#709 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:18 AM

Another thing, you guys need to dump your avatars; the shows over.

#710 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 580 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:32 AM

So the option in LA is to visit a Bar? No thanks, i don't drink and i refuse to partake in criminal activities by people who abuse the system and then get away with it. I value MY life and will not subject myself to drunken azzholes either in the bar or outside where i may be a victim of a horrendous accident. Drunks never get hurt, but the victims often get scarred for life by these azzholes.

Does this mean you never leave the house?

#711 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 580 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:35 AM

Really? Don't insult my intelligence.

That presents a very small target:lol:

#712 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,173 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:44 AM

can we get back to discussing the new lakers network, please? thanks.

now that bright house bakersfield has gotten the network, i wonder if bright house in florida will get it. i think its a safe assumption!

Edited by iceturkee, 06 October 2012 - 06:49 AM.

#713 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:11 AM

Please don't feed the trolls!

#714 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,025 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:02 AM

can we get back to discussing the new lakers network, please? thanks.

now that bright house bakersfield has gotten the network, i wonder if bright house in florida will get it. i think its a safe assumption!

Doesn't matter, live games will be blacked out. It's pretty pointless to have anywhere outside Lakers territory.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#715 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,175 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:35 AM

Yeah;

It would have to be as a part of LP to see the live Laker games even if the other out of market BHNs were to carry the channel in one their sports tiers there.

Plus I think thats one of the main reasons BHN can afford the high carriage fees for this channel.

They only have to pay for the miniscule number of subs (comparatively speaking) they serve in the Bakersfield area.

#716 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,921 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:47 AM

STOP THE PERSONAL COMMENTS!

One more post that makes a personal comment is gone...on topic or not.

Discuss the topic and not each other. Disagree all you want but leave the childish personal jabs out of it or be banned from the thread.

I should close this but I’m giving it a chance. Don’t make one of us close it because someone can’t control themselves.

Mike

Edited by Mike Bertelson, 06 October 2012 - 09:12 AM.

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#717 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 580 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

Discuss the topic and not each other. Disagree all you want but leave the childish personal jabs out of it or be banned from the thread.

I should close this but I’m giving it a chance. Don’t make one of us close it because someone can’t control themselves.

Mike

You're right and I apologize

#718 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,175 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:07 AM

Mike

And please;

We Lakers fans here in L.A. need this thread to remain open. :bowdown:

#719 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,173 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:15 AM

Doesn't matter, live games will be blacked out. It's pretty pointless to have anywhere outside Lakers territory.

i know but there might be other games which could be watched without nba league pass, etc.

sorry in advance if this is a stupid question but if dtv does have lakers network by the time season starts later this month, are there no laker games in league pass?

#720 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 729 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

Bambler,
A serious question about your comment.

As you know DirecTV has had ST exclusivity for 18 years.

Do you honestly believe there are still 3,000,000 non DirecTV subscribers out there who want ST, but have refused to switch to DirecTV over those 18 years?

That seems very far fetched to me.

Cheers.

PS: My 2 cents on the TWC network situation.... Neither side will want the Lakers to open their regular season without a deal. For better or worse, they really do need each other.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...