Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lakers New Regional TV Network - NOW ON THE AIR

• Please log in to reply
2096 replies to this topic

#721 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:28 PM

Nothing surprises me these days.

I have no idea how many would sign up as I was just speculating. The die-hards are probably all here as you pointed out, but I'm sure there are many more fans out there that would probably jump at the chance if given the opportunity, without having to go through the hassle of switching.

Nothing far-fetched about that in my opinion.

In regards to the Lakers Channel, I'm sure TWC needs more subscribers, but on the other hand, I'm sure they're hoping to gain more customers as well. Even a 10% increase in LA's DMA would be significant from a revenue perspective, from both fees and advertising revenue.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#722 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,813 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

What I don't understand is why didn't D* and the other cable companys didn't start their negotiations months ago instead of waiting until the last minute?

Edited by TheRatPatrol, 06 October 2012 - 02:15 PM.

#723 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 475 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

What I don't understand is why didn't D* and the other cable companys didn't start their negotiations months ago instead of waiting until the last minute?

I would imagine they did. I would bet tat TWC isn't budging on going lower than $3.95 and other providers are waiting and not giving in to get TW to come down on the asking price.
Go Big Red!!!

#724 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Registered
  • 278 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:50 PM

Nothing surprises me these days.

I have no idea how many would sign up as I was just speculating. The die-hards are probably all here as you pointed out, but I'm sure there are many more fans out there that would probably jump at the chance if given the opportunity, without having to go through the hassle of switching.

Nothing far-fetched about that in my opinion.

In regards to the Lakers Channel, I'm sure TWC needs more subscribers, but on the other hand, I'm sure they're hoping to gain more customers as well. Even a 10% increase in LA's DMA would be significant from a revenue perspective, from both fees and advertising revenue.

As a former TWC TV customer (i still have TWC Internet), i agree there may be some increase in revenue mainly because if/when DIRECTV gets the Lakers, TWC still has many customers like myself who have both (TWC internet/DirecTV. So TWC still gets paid. The interesting thing is, as of now TWC has no other carriers. It's not as if DirecTV is lagging behind. If i wanted to add TWC and DIRECTV i would have to pay $50 extra, it's not worth it in my opinion. But DirecTV doesn't have the PAC-12 and the Lakers.......that may be the reason why some deal will eventually be made. DirecTV is based in So Cal, there's no way they'll leave both of them on the table.

#725 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:10 PM

didn't years ago CSN Chicago launch only on Comcast and all other systems picked it up before the regular season started.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#726 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:11 PM

Anyone think the owners of the Lakers really cares one way or the other after they got paid?

#727 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

Anyone think the owners of the Lakers really cares one way or the other after they got paid?

Of course they do. The Lakers are depending on TWC to reach as many retrans deals as possible. Don't you think they want all things Lakers to be seen outside of the local area? It's a big brand...
DTV = Digital Television

#728 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:25 PM

Of course they do. The Lakers are depending on TWC to reach as many retrans deals as possible. Don't you think they want all things Lakers to be seen outside of the local area? It's a big brand...

Really? I'm sure they'll put on a good face, but they already got paid.

#729 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:35 PM

Really? I'm sure they'll put on a good face, but they already got paid.

Distribution to only a portion of the L.A. area is not what the Lakers are expecting from TWC.
DTV = Digital Television

#730 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:37 PM

Distribution to only a portion of the L.A. area is not what the Lakers are expecting from TWC.

Well , I don't agree. The only thing the Lakers were after is $, which they already have. Regardless of where it gets shown, they've already collected.

#731 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:49 PM

Well , I don't agree. The only thing the Lakers were after is $, which they already have. Regardless of where it gets shown, they've already collected.

...right...because the Lakers want less exposure of their product and they want to limit the visibility of additional marketing/revenue opportunities.

A Lakers spokesman said the exclusive negotiating windows for FS West and KCAL had expired, and the club was confident that Time Warner Cable would not only build a strong network, but one that will secure plenty of carriage over the next 18 months. "There are no concerns that Time Warner Cable will attain the same level of distribution, if not more," he said.

http://www.multichan...network-rights 

18 months...how many deals so far?
DTV = Digital Television

#732 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

...right...because the Lakers want less exposure of their product and they want to limit the visibility of additional marketing/revenue opportunities.

Well, like I said, they'll put up a good "we love our fans" front, but beyond that their exposure doesn't go backwards because of this deal, which in essence says they didn't have exposure prior to this deal.

#733 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:56 PM

Well, like I said, they'll put up a good "we love our fans" front, but beyond that their exposure doesn't go backwards because of this deal, which in essence says they didn't have exposure prior to this deal.

Of course it does. Home games were available by a local carried OTA and by every single provider in that DMA. Away games were available by FS West and carried by Dish, DirecTV, and a ton of cable providers.
DTV = Digital Television

#734 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:58 PM

Of course it does. Home games were available by a local carried OTA and by every single provider in that DMA. Away games were available by FS West and carried by Dish, DirecTV, and a ton of cable providers.

I really don't think they care, nor have a say in the matter even if they did.

#735 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:06 PM

I really don't think they care, nor have a say in the matter even if they did.

So you'd have us believe that a franchise worth approximately $900 million doesn't care about the availability of television broadcasts of its product and also signed an agreement that gave them absolutely no protection from TWC failing to secure adequate distribution? Wow! I'm sure the Lakers are smart enough to know better, but just in case...I'm sure their lawyers are.

The clock is ticking on TWC to sign some deals.
DTV = Digital Television

#736 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:11 PM

So you'd have us believe that a franchise worth approximately $900 million doesn't care about the availability of television broadcasts of its product and also signed an agreement that gave them absolutely no protection from TWC failing to secure adequate distribution? Wow! I'm sure the Lakers are smart enough to know better, but just in case...I'm sure their lawyers are.

The clock is ticking on TWC to sign some deals.

Caring means nothing these days. Contract language supersedes that yesterday, today and tomorrow.

#737 OFFLINE   am7crew

am7crew

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:12 PM

The way I see it the channel is pretty irreverent if outside of the LA area as all live games will be blacked out unless you have the NBA Pass in which case you can still watch the games just using the visiting team's airing.

#738 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:15 PM

Of course the Lakers care. They already banked the money, so they can afford to care. They fully understand the long-term results will cost them fans, good-will, and money if this doesn't get better in the near-term. If TWC doesn't meet *their* revenue projections, what happens on the renewal? Of course the Lakers care, because they understand their self-interest.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#739 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:16 PM

The way I see it the channel is pretty irreverent if outside of the LA area as all live games will be blacked out unless you have the NBA Pass in which case you can still watch the games just using the visiting team's airing.

Unless your provider is also missing that RSN. Your odds go way down unless you are with DirecTV.
DTV = Digital Television

#740 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:17 PM

Personally, I could care less about this channel, but I can empathize with LA residents wanting their Lakers fix.

It's a bad situation all the way around and if anyone is to blame it's the Lakers organization themselves.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...