Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lakers New Regional TV Network - NOW ON THE AIR

• Please log in to reply
2096 replies to this topic

#741 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:18 PM

Caring means nothing these days. Contract language supersedes that yesterday, today and tomorrow.

You're the one who said they didn't care. Now you say caring means nothing.
DTV = Digital Television

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#742 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:19 PM

You're the one who said they didn't care. Now you say caring means nothing.

What? I'm posting as logically as possible, feelings aside.

#743 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:20 PM

Personally, I could care less about this channel, but I can empathize with LA residents wanting their Lakers fix.

It's a bad situation all the way around and if anyone is to blame it's the Lakers organization themselves.

Why the Lakers when it is TWC who has failed to get any retransmission deals besides one local cable co.?
DTV = Digital Television

#744 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:22 PM

What? I'm posting as logically as possible, feelings aside.

You said they don't care. I explained why they obviously do care. Now you say that caring means nothing. You're moving the goalposts.
DTV = Digital Television

#745 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:22 PM

Why the Lakers when it is TWC who has failed to get any retransmission deals besides one local cable co.?

I'm sorry, I don't understand your question.

What I said is that even if the lakers cared, I think they're powerless to do anything about it because of their contract.

#746 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:26 PM

I'm sorry, I don't understand your question.

What I said is that even if the lakers cared, I think they're powerless to do anything about it because of their contract.

No you didn't.

It's a bad situation all the way around and if anyone is to blame it's the Lakers organization themselves.

How is it the Lakers fault? They are relying on TWC to get the job done.
DTV = Digital Television

#747 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:29 PM

No you didn't.

How is it the Lakers fault? They are relying on TWC to get the job done.

Well, I agree, TWC got the job done. They paid billions.

#748 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:33 PM

Your avatar is fitting btw. Ironic, but good.

And honestly I can't blame the lakers. If I were them, I would milk it too.

#749 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,279 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:34 PM

Anyone think the owners of the Lakers really cares one way or the other after they got paid?

Thats one of the reasons they went to all games being on cable is so that their entire market could have access to games. Their away games where broadcast on KCAL over the air in Los Angeles only, so over half their designated market was unable to get away games. Now they will be able to. That's assuming deals get done.

If twc can get DirecTV, then all the other local cable providers will fold easier. It also works the other way too, but since DirecTV or dish would be only one deal to make the others fall in line, I would think they'd be working hardest on the two sat providers.

#750 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:36 PM

Well, I agree, TWC got the job done. They paid billions.

Their job is to distribute the two networks to other providers. They've managed to sign with one so far...that's it.
DTV = Digital Television

#751 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:36 PM

Thats one of the reasons they went to all games being on cable is so that their entire market could have access to games. Their away games where broadcast on KCAL over the air in Los Angeles only, so over half their designated market was unable to get away games. Now they will be able to. That's assuming deals get done.

If twc can get DirecTV, then all the other local cable providers will fold easier. It also works the other way too, but since DirecTV or dish would be only one deal to make the others fall in line, I would think they'd be working hardest on the two sat providers.

Lot of IFS there. But I kind of understand the thinking behind LA's apathetic market; they all fall inline.

#752 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,279 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:38 PM

Well , I don't agree. The only thing the Lakers were after is $, which they already have. Regardless of where it gets shown, they've already collected.

They lakers will gain a lot more money if they have bigger distribution. And the buss family isn't like the greedy nfl owners who only care about pocketing money. They actually care about their fans. The are still a few left, but they are getting harder to find. You can tell this because of how much of the money the Lakers take in they turn right around and spend on the team. They aren't going to be making any more money in profit on this new deal for several years because of their current payroll. They went ahead and decided to spend all that extra profit this summer on the team.

#753 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:42 PM

They lakers will gain a lot more money if they have bigger distribution. And the buss family isn't like the greedy nfl owners who only care about pocketing money. They actually care about their fans. The are still a few left, but they are getting harder to find. You can tell this because of how much of the money the Lakers take in they turn right around and spend on the team. They aren't going to be making any more money in profit on this new deal for several years because of their current payroll. They went ahead and decided to spend all that extra profit this summer on the team.

Well, people will surprise you and I seriously doubt they have a say in the matter after they signed the dotted line, like I've said before.

#754 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:52 PM

Well, people will surprise you and I seriously doubt they have a say in the matter after they signed the dotted line, like I've said before.

So a $900 million franchise and their powerful lawyers would just sign it all away like that? Sure...and I've got ocean front property in Arizona.
DTV = Digital Television

#755 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:54 PM

So a $900 million franchise and their powerful lawyers would just sign it all away like that? Sure...and I've got ocean front property in Arizona.

Yes

#756 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:03 AM

Yes

Not even remotely plausible. They could have a chimpanzee handle the deal and even he would know better.
DTV = Digital Television

#757 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:06 AM

Not even remotely plausible. They could have a chimpanzee handle the deal and even he would know better.

Well, think of the deal and any rhetoric that may come out from them as you may. A contract is a contract. And never underestimate people.

#758 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:16 AM

Well, think of the deal and any rhetoric that may come out from them as you may. A contract is a contract. And never underestimate people.

Any Interest in that ocean front property in Arizona? I also have a house in Alaska with a beautiful view of Russia available! :)

I kid! Seriously though, if there was even the slightest, tiniest sliver of a possibly that the Lakers would do that...I'd give it some thought. There isn't though. Not unless the contract was written by a delusional homeless man in the alley behind a mental institution and every single person who saw it was crazier than the last person who saw it.
DTV = Digital Television

#759 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,279 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:31 AM

Actually, the buss family already has, as i didn't expect them to spend so much! :lol:

Oh it's true, none of us have a clue what the deal with the Lakers says in terms of distribution terms. That we just don't know, and likely never will, unless they never reach any deals and the Lakers where to sue them over it. Otherwise, we will never know.

#760 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:14 AM

Actually, the buss family already has, as i didn't expect them to spend so much! :lol:

Oh it's true, none of us have a clue what the deal with the Lakers says in terms of distribution terms. That we just don't know, and likely never will, unless they never reach any deals and the Lakers where to sue them over it. Otherwise, we will never know.

They may openly whine--and I doubt they would sue the hand that fed them regardless of what was written in the contract--but I bet secretly, or not so secretly in the future, they hope and/or tell their fans to switch if they "love" them so much.

Just like the PAC-12 network (sorry, had to throw that in).

Edited by Bambler, 07 October 2012 - 01:39 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...