Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lakers New Regional TV Network - NOW ON THE AIR

• Please log in to reply
2096 replies to this topic

#1001 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 686 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

If TWCSN is available through LP, I'll sign up! That's what I'm waiting for. I need my Stu!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#1002 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 790 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

Single team channels need to go the way of the dodo. The entire situation is a farce.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#1003 OFFLINE   DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

If TWCSN is available through LP, I'll sign up! That's what I'm waiting for. I need my Stu!

San Berdoo (San Bernardino?) is still within the Lakers DMA, which means that even with League Pass, you will not be able to see Lakers coverage (either home or away) if it is not being carried nationally on ESPN, ABC, or TNT.

D* needs to carry TWC-SN for D* customers within the Lakers DMA to see the non-nationally televised games.
Slimline, WB616 (2), SWM8 (2), OTA, MRV (U)
Den: Sony KDS-60A3000 -> HR20-700; Sony KDL-40S2000 (5) -> HR20-700 (2) & HR20-100 (3)
Master Bed: Kuro PDP-5020FD -> HR34-700
Master Bath: Sony KDL-26S3000 + PSP -> HR24-200
Daughter's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR20-700
Son's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR24-500
Kitchen: Sharp 20" -> H24-700
Guest: Sharp 20" -> H20-100
Patio: SunbriteTV 3220 -> H25-500
Living Room: Sony 42" XBR Plasma -> HR20-100

Diagram of Setup

#1004 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 642 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

There will be a lot more than 57 games on the Lakers channel. You are forgetting the sparks, Galaxy and a bunch of college football and basketball games. With that said, I know the penguins are popular, although not even playing now, and possibly this year, but how popular are the pirates these days? I really don't know... The Lakers though, they are big. Comparison wise, the Lakers are Yankees big in the nba. I think that's got twc thinking they can get more than they should be asking. I wish DirecTV had tried to get the Lakers rights via a new roots channel...

As bad as the Pirates are they drew 2,091.918 fans for an average of 26,148 pergame. In 2010 (i left out 2011 because of the short season) the lakers drew 778,887 for an average of 18,997 per game. Los Angeles and their market is a lot bigger than Pittsburgh, but its basketball, and as much as you may not like it basketball still trails baseball in popularity.

#1005 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,919 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:56 PM

Time Warner Cable faces tough defense for Lakers channels

"We prefer not to be in this business, and if we had been charged more reasonable rates, we probably wouldn't be in this position," Time Warner Cable Chief Financial Officer Irene Esteves told Wall Street analysts recently.

Really? Then why did you spend $3 billion to start two sports networks? :rolleyes:

#1006 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 686 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

San Berdoo (San Bernardino?) is still within the Lakers DMA, which means that even with League Pass, you will not be able to see Lakers coverage (either home or away) if it is not being carried nationally on ESPN, ABC, or TNT.

D* needs to carry TWC-SN for D* customers within the Lakers DMA to see the non-nationally televised games.

Sorry no, I ripped off "San Berdoo" from the Fletch movie...

#1007 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,088 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

Just curious, are TWC subs paying extra for these channels?

1-HR24-100
1-HR21-100
2-HR21-700
H21-100
SWM16

Wired network, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled)

#1008 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 426 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

As bad as the Pirates are they drew 2,091.918 fans for an average of 26,148 pergame. In 2010 (i left out 2011 because of the short season) the lakers drew 778,887 for an average of 18,997 per game. Los Angeles and their market is a lot bigger than Pittsburgh, but its basketball, and as much as you may not like it basketball still trails baseball in popularity.

I don't know that that's entirely fair. PNC Park has nearly double the capacity of Staples Center. The level of passion that LA has for the Lakers - and make no mistake the Lakers are THE team in LA - they would avg 27k or more fans per game. The lakers sell out. The pirates do not.

#1009 OFFLINE   DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

Both channels are included in the basic tier ($29.95). Other sports channels, such as Pac-12, NFL Network, NBA TV, NHL, Tennis, etc. are on an add-on tier. ($10.00 extra)
Slimline, WB616 (2), SWM8 (2), OTA, MRV (U)
Den: Sony KDS-60A3000 -> HR20-700; Sony KDL-40S2000 (5) -> HR20-700 (2) & HR20-100 (3)
Master Bed: Kuro PDP-5020FD -> HR34-700
Master Bath: Sony KDL-26S3000 + PSP -> HR24-200
Daughter's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR20-700
Son's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR24-500
Kitchen: Sharp 20" -> H24-700
Guest: Sharp 20" -> H20-100
Patio: SunbriteTV 3220 -> H25-500
Living Room: Sony 42" XBR Plasma -> HR20-100

Diagram of Setup

#1010 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:59 PM

Single team channels need to go the way of the dodo. The entire situation is a farce.

It's not a single team channel. The Lakers are simply their most important franchise.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#1011 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:00 PM

Not a dime. But like any provider, prices will always increase some time 1st quarter.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#1012 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:00 PM

Technically, TWC is right. Remember that the $3.95/mo price is for both TWC SportsNet and TWC Deportes combined, so each by itself would average only $1.98/mo (below ROOT's price).

Again, that's technically speaking. For all intents and purposes, they are asking for more than DirecTV asks for basically the same type of programming.

No. TWC is going to charge DTV $3.95 whether DTV takes one of the channels or two. Consider the Spanish channel a throw-in, they won't say that but it's what is happening.

#1013 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:04 PM

There will be a lot more than 57 games on the Lakers channel. You are forgetting the sparks, Galaxy and a bunch of college football and basketball games. With that said, I know the penguins are popular, although not even playing now, and possibly this year, but how popular are the pirates these days? I really don't know... The Lakers though, they are big. Comparison wise, the Lakers are Yankees big in the nba. I think that's got twc thinking they can get more than they should be asking. I wish DirecTV had tried to get the Lakers rights via a new roots channel...

OK, let's get serious. The Sparks. The Galaxy? I'm talking about major sports, the big 4 sports. Root Pittsburgh has college football and other programming as well.

Of the MAJOR sports, Root Pittsburgh will carry north of 220 games, the TWC channel 57 games. Root Pittsburgh is cheaper than TWC. TWC is lying when they say they pay DTV more for Root Sports unless they are trying to be coy and are adding all three Root Sports Channels which is as dishonest as the day is long.

The Lakers are big, but in a sport (NBA) that is 3rd of the big 4 in terms of revenue.

#1014 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:09 PM

I don't know that that's entirely fair. PNC Park has nearly double the capacity of Staples Center. The level of passion that LA has for the Lakers - and make no mistake the Lakers are THE team in LA - they would avg 27k or more fans per game. The lakers sell out. The pirates do not.

That goes both ways. There are only 41 home games for basketball but 81 for baseball. Availability of games (more QTY) and a larger venue make it more difficult to sell out. In other words, fewer baseball games would probably mean larger crowds per game. If the Lakers played 81 games in a larger building they may not sell out every game.

Scarcity of supply drives this stuff as well. There's a reason that most NFL games sell out, even by terrible teams. With only 8 games at home, each game is precious and in demand. The supply of games is limited.

#1015 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:11 PM

Here is TWC SportsNet's official statement:

Link:

http://www.twcsports...ght-102412.html

It's going to get more nastier in the press between TWC vs. D* and the other TV providers the longer this dispute continues to drag on :rolleyes:

I see TWC has disabled comments to that page now since 100% of them were slamming TWC and their lying claims.

#1016 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,735 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:08 AM

Well, I was talking about tv viewing, not attendance. As others say, your comparing the Lakers selling out every single game in a venue that doesn't have nearly as many seats and nearly as many games. And the pIrates tickets are way way cheaper than Lakers tickets. Its difficult to compare.. But, if you really want to see some numbers...

The Lakers are easily the most valuable team in the NBA.

They would be around the 25th most valuable in the NFL, which is easily the richest league...

However, they would be third in the MLB, behind only the Yankees, Dodgers (and lets face it, that valuse is ridiculously overshot due to the mccourt fiasco auctioning of the team), and the Red Sox, although they may catch the red sox this year with this new tv deal, we will see...

And they are worth $379 million more than the most valuable franchise in the entire NHL.

The Lakers are not like other teams, they are the DOMINANT team around here, that's not even a debate. Why do you think Magic has said that one of his goals is to make the Dodgers as popular and important to the city as the Lakers are? That after seeing the Angles win the world series, the Ducks and Kings win the Stanley Cup. The dodgers pray they can get back on top, but its 50/50 if they could ever become the undisputed top dog again. I don't even think a NFL team could say they where top dog until after they won multiple championships in this town, not in terms of true popularity. Why do you think the Rams and Raiders left? That weren't top dogs....

#1017 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,735 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:12 AM

Time Warner Cable faces tough defense for Lakers channels

Really? Then why did you spend $3 billion to start two sports networks? :rolleyes:

Are they going to not reup with fox the next time that contract is up? If not, then I don't see how they can say they are going to gain anything here. Fox isn't going to lower how much they are asking for their channels, unless TWC can actually get the dodgers. All the other major teams are locked up for quite a while to fox though, so I think its pure hogwash from TWC. Unless they dump other fox stations, they will gain nothing.

#1018 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:54 AM

Well, I was talking about tv viewing, not attendance. As others say, your comparing the Lakers selling out every single game in a venue that doesn't have nearly as many seats and nearly as many games. And the pIrates tickets are way way cheaper than Lakers tickets. Its difficult to compare.. But, if you really want to see some numbers...

The Lakers are easily the most valuable team in the NBA.

They would be around the 25th most valuable in the NFL, which is easily the richest league...

However, they would be third in the MLB, behind only the Yankees, Dodgers (and lets face it, that valuse is ridiculously overshot due to the mccourt fiasco auctioning of the team), and the Red Sox, although they may catch the red sox this year with this new tv deal, we will see...

And they are worth $379 million more than the most valuable franchise in the entire NHL.

The Lakers are not like other teams, they are the DOMINANT team around here, that's not even a debate. Why do you think Magic has said that one of his goals is to make the Dodgers as popular and important to the city as the Lakers are? That after seeing the Angles win the world series, the Ducks and Kings win the Stanley Cup. The dodgers pray they can get back on top, but its 50/50 if they could ever become the undisputed top dog again. I don't even think a NFL team could say they where top dog until after they won multiple championships in this town, not in terms of true popularity. Why do you think the Rams and Raiders left? That weren't top dogs....

Because the L.A. market will only support a winner except for the Dodgers they always draw well. I don't understand why the NFL is so insistent about putting another team here. The Lakers are wildly popular and they win consistently.

#1019 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,731 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:03 AM

Most markets only have one RSN for all their sports. There is only a few like Los Angeles that have multiple. And we now have three. That's the problem. Three is ridiculous when they want us to pay for all three one third more (or more) than what we where paying before for the exact same amount of sports.

Boy that's for sure;

And when you add in the cost of the nationals and the potential upcoming TV deal for the Dodgers, according to the following 10/25 article the cost could crack over $20.00 per sub just for LA area sports alone. :eek2:

Ridicules ... :nono:

By Steve Donohue --- Fierce Cable Newsletter --- Editors Corner
http://www.fiercecab...ts-t/2012-10-25

SportsNet, MSG disputes highlight Time Warner Cable's evolving views on sports tiers.

It's been a pretty ugly year when it comes to cable MSOs sparring with fellow operators over distribution of regional sports networks. MSG and Time Warner Cable (NYSE: TWC) saw a backlash from subscribers and politicians in January, after Time Warner Cable refused its demands for a rate hike. Now, Time Warner Cable is attempting to squeeze up to $4 per subscriber from Cox Communications, DirecTV (Nasdaq: DTV) and other pay TV providers in the Los Angeles area that want to carry its new Time Warner Cable SportsNet RSN.

In January, in the midst of Time Warner Cable's battle with MSG, which is controlled by Cablevision (NYSE: CVC) CEO Jim Dolan, Time Warner Cable CEO Glenn Britt argued that the company should be able to carry MSG on a sports tier. "What was a minor problem is turning into an astronomical problem. The ultimate solution is to get that programming on some sort of smaller packaging scheme," Britt told The Wall Street Journal.

Time Warner Cable went seven weeks without MSG, leaving subscribers unable to watch the New York Knicks, the Buffalo Sabres and other pro sports teams. It finally agreed to a deal in February to carry MSG on Time Warner Cable's expanded basic tier, rather than a sports tier.

While Time Warner Cable has fought sports programmers for the right to carry both national networks such as ESPN and RSNs like MSG on sports tiers, it has a different view on tiers when it comes to distribution of SportsNet. In order for Time Warner Cable to pay for its $3 billion, 20-year rights deal with Los Angeles Lakers, it wants SportsNet to be carried in the most widely distributed cable and satellite programming packages. Expanded basic carriage will give Time Warner both subscription and advertising revenue.

Late Wednesday, in response to a request from Cox that it be able to carry SportsNet on a tier, Time Warner Cable issued a statement in which it noted that no RSNs are carried on sports tiers. "That would be unprecedented," the company said.

What is also unprecedented are the wholesale fees that cable and satellite affiliates are paying for regional and national sports networks in Los Angeles. If you include SportsNet, Fox Sports West, Fox Prime Ticket, NBC Sports Network, The Golf Channel, ESPN, ESPN2 and other networks, the wholesale fees for sports programming in Los Angeles area may crack $20 monthly per subscriber. With the Los Angeles Dodgers TV rights deal coming up for renewal next year, sports programming will get even more expensive for distributors and subscribers in L.A.

Last year, Time Warner Cable began testing a programming package called TV Essentials in New York and Ohio. Costing just $30 to $40 monthly depending on the cable system, TV Essentials includes local broadcast stations, AMC, CNN, Bravo, HGTV and Lifetime. It doesn't include ESPN or regional sports networks.

Naturally, Time Warner Cable isn't offering subscribers in Los Angeles the option of taking a TV Essentials package.

For more than a decade, smaller cable operators such as Mediacom Communications and other pay TV distributors that don't own RSNs have demanded that programmers allow them to place sports networks on a tier. Some have even lobbied Congress and the FCC on the issue.

It appears unlikely that regulators or legislators will force programmers and operators to give consumers the option to buy sports tiers any time soon. But if cable and satellite subscribers in Los Angeles and other markets begin to drop pay TV subscriptions because they can no longer afford the programming, the industry may be forced to make some major changes.

I also note TWC's hypocrisy in trying to holdout on carriage of MSG in favor of a sports tiering structure as well. :rolleyes:

#1020 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,788 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:28 AM

Most markets only have one RSN for all their sports.

My market (Nielsen #22, Portland) is spread out horribly. Our NBA team (Trailblazers) is on Comcast, the college teams (Oregon, Oregon State) are on PAC-12 and the MLB (Mariners) and NFL (Seahawks) teams are on Root.

IIRC, DIRECTV carries only Root. DISH carries Root and Pac-12 and Comcast carries all three.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#1021 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,374 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:45 AM

Basketball arenas are A LOT smaller - horrible comparison. Look at TV ratings and basketball is on par with baseball. Some years the NBA Finals outdraw the World Series and vice versa. For example:
2010 - NBA averaged 10.6 ratings and 18.1 million viewers while the MLB WS averaged 10.06 ratings and 17 million viewers.
2011 - NBA averaged 10.2 ratings and 17.3 million viewers while the MLB WS averaged 11.3 ratings and 18.9 million viewers.

Sources - http://en.wikipedia....evision_ratings
http://en.wikipedia....2010_NBA_Finals
http://www.huffingto...g_n_876964.html
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#1022 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,735 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:02 PM

Because the L.A. market will only support a winner except for the Dodgers they always draw well. I don't understand why the NFL is so insistent about putting another team here. The Lakers are wildly popular and they win consistently.

Oh there is no question many teams from other markets could make more money if they where in the Los Angeles market. That's why. They just want a sweetheart deal to come here in the first place to make even more money because they are so greedy.

#1023 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,735 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

My market (Nielsen #22, Portland) is spread out horribly. Our NBA team (Trailblazers) is on Comcast, the college teams (Oregon, Oregon State) are on PAC-12 and the MLB (Mariners) and NFL (Seahawks) teams are on Root.

IIRC, DIRECTV carries only Root. DISH carries Root and Pac-12 and Comcast carries all three.

Its hard to call the pac12 a regional channel, even though they have regional outlets. It's really one network.

You are in Portland, which has one RSN. The Seahawks are on national tv, so they are never on a RSN. Mariners are in Seattle, so they are on a RSN in Seattle that is pushed to your area because the mariners also have your market. Not at all the same as three main RSNs plus the pac12 for all major sports that actually are on RSNs and are allocated in the exact same DMA in the first place.

#1024 OFFLINE   Mariah2014

Mariah2014

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 836 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:23 PM

Charter is the first real add for time warner cable sportsnet LA.

#1025 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Registered
  • 285 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

Charter Cable has signed on.......the subs will be paying $12.50 a month.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...