Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lakers New Regional TV Network - NOW ON THE AIR

• Please log in to reply
2096 replies to this topic

#901 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:22 AM

Do you guys think it would have helped negotiations if the Lakers had part or majority ownership of the channel?

Of course they probably wouldn't have gotten the money they did.

Probably.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#902 OFFLINE   DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:29 AM

Evidently, twc commercials got lots of loud boos last night when they appeared on the scoreboard during the exhibition game at staples last night!

Speaking of booing Time Warner Cable, I must give TWC (the cable company) a big thumbs down.

I just recently signed up with TWC so that I would not miss any Lakers coverage (pre-season and behind-the-scenes exclusives). In the three or so weeks that I've had their service, I have had more issues (outages, missing channels, DVR resetting for no reason, pixelation, service calls that did nothing to resolve anything, etc.) with TWC than I have ever had in the 10+ years that I have been with D*.

TWC customer services says that outages are caused by the sun. Hot days apparently cause havoc with their service stations. Another CSR said that it is not uncommon for squirrels to chew on the cable lines. :nono2:

I can't wait for D* to carry this channel. TWC is a joke!
Slimline, WB616 (2), SWM8 (2), OTA, MRV (U)
Den: Sony KDS-60A3000 -> HR20-700; Sony KDL-40S2000 (5) -> HR20-700 (2) & HR20-100 (3)
Master Bed: Kuro PDP-5020FD -> HR34-700
Master Bath: Sony KDL-26S3000 + PSP -> HR24-200
Daughter's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR20-700
Son's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR24-500
Kitchen: Sharp 20" -> H24-700
Guest: Sharp 20" -> H20-100
Patio: SunbriteTV 3220 -> H25-500
Living Room: Sony 42" XBR Plasma -> HR20-100

Diagram of Setup

#903 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:31 AM

TWC customer services says that outages are caused by the sun. Hot days apparently cause havoc with their service stations. Another CSR said that it is not uncommon for squirrels to chew on the cable lines. << Snipped bits out >>

And bears to climb poles, ripping down cable and phone lines, no??? :D
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#904 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,182 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:35 AM

Speaking of booing Time Warner Cable, I must give TWC (the cable company) a big thumbs down.

I just recently signed up with TWC so that I would not miss any Lakers coverage (pre-season and behind-the-scenes exclusives). In the three or so weeks that I've had their service, I have had more issues (outages, missing channels, DVR resetting for no reason, pixelation, service calls that did nothing to resolve anything, etc.) with TWC than I have ever had in the 10+ years that I have been with D*.

TWC customer services says that outages are caused by the sun. Hot days apparently cause havoc with their service stations. Another CSR said that it is not uncommon for squirrels to chew on the cable lines. :nono2:

actually i had a brief outage last week that dtv said was caused by the sun.

#905 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,282 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:14 AM

Here in la, from what I understand, twc is still trying to fix all the stuff adelphia did wrong and screwed up. That's just sad IMHO.

#906 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,496 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:38 AM

Here in la, from what I understand, twc is still trying to fix all the stuff adelphia did wrong and screwed up. That's just sad IMHO.

That doesn't explain the Time Warner areas that weren't formerly Adelphia -- for example, the western half of the San Fernando Valley has been served by Time Warner since at least the late '90s. I have friends with Time Warner in that area, and I can't vouch for all of the problems reported by DBSNewbie, but I've definitely seen pixelation aplenty on HD channels.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#907 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,282 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:51 AM

That doesn't explain the Time Warner areas that weren't formerly Adelphia -- for example, the western half of the San Fernando Valley has been served by Time Warner since at least the late '90s. I have friends with Time Warner in that area, and I can't vouch for all of the problems reported by DBSNewbie, but I've definitely seen pixelation aplenty on HD channels.

Never said it did. Just saying they are so messed up who knows the cause. It could be from multiple things.

Maybe it's all just the squirrels!

#908 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

actually i had a brief outage last week that dtv said was caused by the sun.

Yes, that happens every spring and fall when the sun is directly behind the satellite as viewed from your dish. Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done about that. Fortunately, it only lasts for a few minutes.

#909 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:31 AM

Now we really need the Lakers on DIRECTV. I hope this happens:

http://probasketball...at-they-should/

#910 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:38 AM

A player signing on with a professional sports team does not affect the value of the channel whatsoever. It might affect personal affection for a team, but it doesn't change anything in these negotiations.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#911 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,130 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:45 AM

As a Lakers fan, I love all he's done, but this is a dumb idea. He's washed up and his leadership isn't needed on this veteran team.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#912 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:45 AM

Yeah Adelphia was a mess. Mostly financially of course, but it kept Adelphia from really developing their digital television network. The biggest problem is the equipment on the head-ends, TWC gained both Comcast and Adelphia areas in Los Angeles in 2007 or so, and 5 years later they are still more or less independent networks with all of their own channel lineups. My mother-in-law still has the Motorola DVR they gave her in 2007 or so, and still has the Adelphia logo on it.

Now TWC essentially has to deal with three different systems on their network. They should have started making big strides towards uniformity throughout the TWC network in the Los Angeles area, but that hasn't happened. It is going to cost a heap of money, and the economy crashed just about the same time the Adelphia thing went down in late 2007/early 2008.

TWC Internet is probably their best product. I would sign up for that again in a heartbeat. But my TV service remains with DirecTV.

The fact that TWC Internet works so well is that Comcast, TWC, and Adelphia all used the same DOCSIS standards, so upgrading/managing those networks, and melding them in to one was a LOT easier.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#913 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:54 AM

As a Lakers fan, I love all he's done, but this is a dumb idea. He's washed up and his leadership isn't needed on this veteran team.

I hear ya. He does however still have a few clutch 3 pointers left in his tank.

#914 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,282 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:49 AM

He will make a good coach someday soon I think... In just not sure id pick him upon the Lakers this year, I don't see how it helps them.

#915 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

http://www.ocregiste...-time-team.html

Article from yesterday in OC Register.

Orange County is 50% Cox, 50% TWC (give or take 5%, have no exact numbers) which means half of Orange County will *never* get Lakers games until TWC reaches a deal with either Cox, U-verse, FIOS, Dish, or DirecTV.

The mentioned "OC Sports Grill" in this article I know well, have been there several times and the two daughters of my neighbor next door work there as bartenders. The owner of this bar mentions that he is in a zone that offers NO cable... which is true, as he is in the middle of a business park, close to the Angel Stadium, and not close at all to residential zones.

How this guy is solving it? He signs up for TWC at home, then uses a Slingbox to transmit the signal over the internet to the bar, where he uses a laptop connected to his TV system to display the games.

Creative.

I am the Stig.

#916 OFFLINE   DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:18 PM

How this guy is solving it? He signs up for TWC at home, then uses a Slingbox to transmit the signal over the internet to the bar, where he uses a laptop connected to his TV system to display the games.

Creative.

Yes, very creative. But, not to rain on anyone's parade, but wouldn't he get in trouble for showing (re-transmitting) a residential broadcast feed for public viewing in a commercial establishment?

Perhaps he signed up for a commercial account with TWC for his home?

Edited by DBSNewbie, 16 October 2012 - 01:19 PM.

Slimline, WB616 (2), SWM8 (2), OTA, MRV (U)
Den: Sony KDS-60A3000 -> HR20-700; Sony KDL-40S2000 (5) -> HR20-700 (2) & HR20-100 (3)
Master Bed: Kuro PDP-5020FD -> HR34-700
Master Bath: Sony KDL-26S3000 + PSP -> HR24-200
Daughter's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR20-700
Son's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR24-500
Kitchen: Sharp 20" -> H24-700
Guest: Sharp 20" -> H20-100
Patio: SunbriteTV 3220 -> H25-500
Living Room: Sony 42" XBR Plasma -> HR20-100

Diagram of Setup

#917 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:54 PM

Yes, very creative. But, not to rain on anyone's parade, but wouldn't he get in trouble for showing (re-transmitting) a residential broadcast feed for public viewing in a commercial establishment?

Perhaps he signed up for a commercial account with TWC for his home?

The only people who he could get in trouble with, is TWC. They may cancel his account if it is residential and not commercial.... he technically isn't breaking any laws if it is a commercial account. Don't know how TWC's TOS breaks this down of course.

One thing is for sure.... fans are a hell of a lot more touchy about this situation than with PAC12. At least with PAC12 people have options. Dish has it, and virtually all cable providers (besides Charter) has it... at least in the SoCal region.

Not so with TWCSN - NO ONE, absolutely NO ONE besides TWC themselves has it. This could get real ugly. If you live in southern OC (Cox) or Long Beach (Charter), Pasadena/Glendale (Charter), you could be shut out of most of the Lakers games soon.

Edited by maartena, 16 October 2012 - 02:01 PM.

I am the Stig.

#918 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,282 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:31 PM

The only people who he could get in trouble with, is TWC. They may cancel his account if it is residential and not commercial.... he technically isn't breaking any laws if it is a commercial account. Don't know how TWC's TOS breaks this down of course.

One thing is for sure.... fans are a hell of a lot more touchy about this situation than with PAC12. At least with PAC12 people have options. Dish has it, and virtually all cable providers (besides Charter) has it... at least in the SoCal region.

Not so with TWCSN - NO ONE, absolutely NO ONE besides TWC themselves has it. This could get real ugly. If you live in southern OC (Cox) or Long Beach (Charter), Pasadena/Glendale (Charter), you could be shut out of most of the Lakers games soon.

Ugly will be an understatement.

#919 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:57 PM

Funny, stealing cable is a theft and is illegal. Stealing satellite services is theft and illegal. Copying and distributing movies is theft and is illegal. Don't be so sure that this isn't considered stealing if he has not cleared it with TWC.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#920 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:08 PM

Funny, stealing cable is a theft and is illegal. Stealing satellite services is theft and illegal. Copying and distributing movies is theft and is illegal. Don't be so sure that this isn't considered stealing if he has not cleared it with TWC.

Well... Assuming for a moment that he is paying for a commercial account with which he is allowed to show sports programs to the public.... which laws would he break if he receives the program on location A, and shows it to his customers on location B?

He isn't copying anything, he isn't stealing anything, he is just extending his reach. After all, the Slingbox device is perfectly legal as well - which is what he is using - if you as a residential customer wanted to watch the Lakers game from your hotel room in Toronto, Canada.

I'm not so sure he is breaking any LAWS here. And this is something that should be carefully understood: He might be breaking the TWC Terms of Service, and could be subjected to disconnection of his account per TWC's policy if this is the case, but I am not sure he is actually breaking a LAW at this point.

Would someone owning a Slingbox break the law? Nope.
Would someone owning a Slingbox, and using it to show a sports programming he is allowed to show to customers on a different location then where the cable terminates? I don't think so..... Again, not 100% sure, but I can't find any LAWS that he would break with it. Just, potentially, the TWC terms of service, which is something completely different.

I am the Stig.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...