Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lakers New Regional TV Network - NOW ON THE AIR

• Please log in to reply
2096 replies to this topic

#941 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:21 AM

Clippers game looked just fine on Prime Ticket today.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#942 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,924 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:46 AM

TWC services my area, but I can't afford two services nor am I switching.

Under contract and a lot of equipment with DIRECTV, plus the rest of the family wants it, plus TWC is a lousy service. For our needs anyhow. :nono:

#943 OFFLINE   DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:30 AM

TWC services my area, but I can't afford two services nor am I switching.

Under contract and a lot of equipment with DIRECTV, plus the rest of the family wants it, plus TWC is a lousy service. For our needs anyhow. :nono:

If you call (or go into a local office) you might be able to get a good deal. Free installation, discounts, credits, etc. You might even get installation the next day (so you wont miss the next pre-season game) Besides, there is no commitment. Lowest tier needed to get Lakers Network is $39.95. (that's without any discounts- you might get a better price if you ask and get a cool CSR). Just pay month to month and if you decide to cancel service at any time, you will be refunded the pro- rated amount that you didn't use from your billing cycle.

Who knows, you may only need TWC cable service for just a few days. (wishful thinking :) )
Slimline, WB616 (2), SWM8 (2), OTA, MRV (U)
Den: Sony KDS-60A3000 -> HR20-700; Sony KDL-40S2000 (5) -> HR20-700 (2) & HR20-100 (3)
Master Bed: Kuro PDP-5020FD -> HR34-700
Master Bath: Sony KDL-26S3000 + PSP -> HR24-200
Daughter's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR20-700
Son's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR24-500
Kitchen: Sharp 20" -> H24-700
Guest: Sharp 20" -> H20-100
Patio: SunbriteTV 3220 -> H25-500
Living Room: Sony 42" XBR Plasma -> HR20-100

Diagram of Setup

#944 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

If this carriage dispute stretches into the regular season I might consider this since we're already paying ~$52.00/mo. for internet from TWC, a great teaser deal for double play service at or near the lowest package for at least a single HD receiver might be attainable for close to what we are already paying for internet service alone.

But as for preseason, with Dwight Howard still out, the games' essential meaningless, and the Lakers horrible performance thus far ...

I'm not sure I really want to see them right now :D

#945 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

I assume tonight's Laker game will be blacked-out (in so cal) on channel 216?

#946 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:26 PM

Yep, should be ... :(

#947 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

Who cares if it's blacked out.......you can watch the Laker games live on your PC. And if you have your computer hooked up to your TV, like i do, even better. Screw TWC.

#948 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:39 PM

You know its funny;

Have been watching the Orlando Magic's opening telecast from the beginning of FS Florida via NBA TV play the SA Spurs (pre-season). And its now late into the 3rd quarter, and through all the commentator banter so far I'd swear not one word has been said about Dwight Howard or the trade.

And I can't believe this has not being done intentionally. The commentators have been specifically instructed to stay away from the topic and only focus on the future post-Dwight era. ;)

#949 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,282 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:22 PM

You know its funny;

Have been watching the Orlando Magic's opening telecast from the beginning of FS Florida via NBA TV play the SA Spurs (pre-season). And its now late into the 3rd quarter, and through all the commentator banter so far I'd swear not one word has been said about Dwight Howard or the trade.

And I can't believe this has not being done intentionally. The commentators have been specifically instructed to stay away from the topic and only focus on the future post-Dwight era. ;)

That is fairly typical. National broadcasts will talk about what is gone. Local not so much. The locals know.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#950 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

Yep, should be ... :(

Yup! :nono:

#951 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,697 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:43 PM

Yup! :nono:

Sorry to hear that. Hope this doesn't turn into another CSN-NW situation.

The rest of us are getting a "free preview" of the new Lakers network.

#952 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:02 PM

I sure don't like the location of the score bug on time warner cable sportsnet LA.

#953 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,784 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:35 PM

I really am surprised they haven't got this figured out yet and that TWC doesn't have any other providers signed up yet. I actually sent emails today expressing my displeasure. Only to Directv and the Lakers though. Still looking for a good email address for TWC. Of course, for the moment, I do fully blame the Lakers and TWC for all this.

#954 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:41 PM

If the lakers deal is anything like the csn northwest blazers deal, I wouldn't expect it anytime soon. They are hoping providers cave to the demand of nearly 4 dollars per subscriber. I don't believe you will see it happen unless a lot of people switch from Directv and give that as the only reason for leaving. Time Warner wanted this to be as exclusive as possible unless you pay the price they want.

I really am surprised they haven't got this figured out yet and that TWC doesn't have any other providers signed up yet. I actually sent emails today expressing my displeasure. Only to Directv and the Lakers though. Still looking for a good email address for TWC. Of course, for the moment, I do fully blame the Lakers and TWC for all this.

#955 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,784 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:13 PM

If the lakers deal is anything like the csn northwest blazers deal, I wouldn't expect it anytime soon. They are hoping providers cave to the demand of nearly 4 dollars per subscriber. I don't believe you will see it happen unless a lot of people switch from Directv and give that as the only reason for leaving. Time Warner wanted this to be as exclusive as possible unless you pay the price they want.

TWC can't afford to play that game forever, they will lose to much money. That's why this is so stupid. They have to have more providers, this is very different that up north.

#956 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,282 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

Watched some of the game. TW looked a lot like the FSN production except for graphics. The scorebox was nice and clean except for the timeouts being color coded. The Kings timeouts were hard to see.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#957 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:14 AM

If true, while I agree it was certainly an anomaly to have the TWC SN copyrighted telecast "Laker Girls" show up on the DIY channel, since when does DIRECTV conduct testing of new channels in this manner?

http://www.tvpredict...akers102212.htm

I can forgive the LA Times for their technical ignorance of the process, but would think since Swanni, charlatan though he may be in other respects, gets much of what he writes from this board, he would know that is not how formal testing of channels is done.

Sixto, gct, doctor j, P. Smith., etc. would certainly report it in the data stream if real testing was ongoing.

#958 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,784 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

If true, while I agree it was certainly an anomaly to have the TWC SN copyrighted telecast "Laker Girls" show up on the DIY channel, since when does DIRECTV conduct testing of new channels in this manner?

I can forgive the LA Times for their technical ignorance of the process, but would think since Swanni, charlatan though he may be in other respects, gets much of what he writes from this board, he would know that is not how formal testing of channels is done.

Sixto, gct, doctor j, P. Smith., etc. would certainly report it in the data stream if real testing was ongoing.

Based on what he quoted from the DirecTV guy, maybe. The only reason I see to do this is to try and hide the fact they where testing it. They will have the signal available to them I am sure for league pass, so they do need to test it. I do not know how they have tested the signals of other channels they don't carry for things like league pass in the past, maybe that's how they do it? Not a full week of testing like a normal channel? Interesting though. I'd like sixtos thoughts...

#959 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:37 AM

If you don't trust Swanni (and I don't blame you), here's exactly what the L.A. Times had to say (full article here):

Recently, a longtime Lakers fan (and trusted friend) found himself channel surfing on DirecTV at 2 p.m. last Thursday, when he noticed a strange anomaly.

Instead of the scheduled "I Hate My Kitchen" on the DIY Network (channel 230), the Time Warner SportsNet program "Laker Girls" was broadcast unannounced.

Is a deal imminent between Time Warner Cable and DirecTV?

There was nothing said to The Times by either provider to suggest that the airing of "Laker Girls" was a significant event, or that it happened at all.

"Yes, we often test signals before a channel launch, but only when we have an agreement in place and have the programmer's authorization," said Robert Mercer, director of public relations for DirecTV in an email to The Times. "We are engaged in discussions with TW to carry the Lakers Net, but have not yet reached an agreement."

The version of this article that appeared in the actual newspaper this morning didn't mention the detail that it was a friend of the writer who happened to be channel surfing and notice the programming change.

I wonder if it was an inadvertent screwup in the DirecTV broadcast center that resulted in it being seen on DIY.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#960 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:35 AM

Since DIY HD was the last channel added in HD, I am thinking someone made a technical error on DirecTV's side.

Not knowing a lot about the technical processes at DirecTV, I have a lot of technical expertise in other fields. I could see it happen that the testing equipment was still pointing at the DIY network because someone forgot to change it to direct feeds to a new, yet unlisted test channel, which would have caused the glitch.

As others have said, it isn't uncommon that the channel feeds are tested internally and are live before anything happens. In the beIN channel topic we had a guy saying about a week before the channel was on DirecTV's test channel that Sixto could see, that they already had the test feed coming in. (Which would be logical of all channels, first get the feed, see if it works, then push it to satellites for nationwide test, see if it works, then launch to live).

So I am thinking here the feed has already been configured, and is being tested. I'm actually sure they have an active PAC12 feed coming in to their building as well, as well as other channels not carried at all at the moment, but just haven't gotten to the legal agreements yet.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

spam firewall