Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lakers New Regional TV Network - NOW ON THE AIR

• Please log in to reply
2096 replies to this topic

#1221 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,144 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

i have to admit i cringe because my cable company has pac 12 and soon will have twc sports net. right now, they have 211 hd channels. the picture quality sucks. but its depressing that they can get channels but we can't. i know a lot is tied to how much room is available on a satellite.

but.........................

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1222 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,847 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

i have to admit i cringe because my cable company has pac 12 and soon will have twc sports net. right now, they have 211 hd channels. the picture quality sucks. but its depressing that they can get channels but we can't. i know a lot is tied to how much room is available on a satellite.

It's cheaper for your cable company...less subscribers.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#1223 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

Again, webtraveler, you conflate what's legally possible with normal practice in industry.

I think your perception is very skewed on what is a "normal practice in industry." To the contrary, a 100% controlled subsidiary is operated in a fashion that benefits the parent, especially when they have complementary product lines. I will concede to you that a guy at the lower level of a corporate empire may not see this.

#1224 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

It's cheaper for your cable company...less subscribers.

Isn't it a wash? Less subscribers mean they also have less money to spend than DIRECTV.

#1225 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,847 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

I think your perception is very skewed on what is a "normal practice in industry." To the contrary, a 100% controlled subsidiary is operated in a fashion that benefits the parent, especially when they have complementary product lines. I will concede to you that a guy at the lower level of a corporate empire may not see this.

You've got people in the industry (SatelliteRacer & ChicagoBlue) how this works, what's the issue?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#1226 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,847 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

Isn't it a wash? Less subscribers mean they also have less money to spend than DIRECTV.

No, because the cable companies make money via telephone and internet deals, also.

#1227 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

Directv owns 100% of Root. Parent can always exercise whatever it wants on it's subsidiaries and it's not even theoretically possible what you suggest. It's not two different companies when one owns 100% of another.

The companies are run independantly of each other. Root will go through the same negotiating process with DIRECTV as it will for other companies. Anything could be done but business sense states it wouldn't be done. Your argument is speculative, and based on FUD, not on real business practices of multi billion dollar corporations.

Maybe if Joe the plumber also owned a bar and he didn't charge himself to fix his own plumbing but I bet Joe the plumber doesn't have 20 million customers and his bar serves a few million as well.

Internet is pennies per gigabyte to an ISP and that includes maintenance. Without internet Cable companies would not be solvent with their current model and would have to charge even more fees.

Either way I'll get back on topic as this is about the Lakers network.

Hopefully the companies will come together with an agreement soon.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#1228 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,791 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

Who the heck is your cable company?

#1229 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,791 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

Look, you disagree with everyone else. My personal experience says your wrong, but I am sure there are plenty of times your right too. There is no absolute. However, since sat racer said in the exact instances we are discussing with regards to root, etc, you are wrong, I think that this particular part of this discussion has now run its course.

Lets just leave that as is and move on.

#1230 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,791 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

Agreed, for in market. The problem is outer markets, where twc seems to think they should get the same pricing for the channel as they do in the main market. That's something that the cable companies mostly do not have to deal with. I talking strictly about the costs of caring the channel.

#1231 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

Alright, got it. I put my trust in ChicagoBlue. Next week (I assume Wednesday) we'll have TWSN.

#1232 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,928 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

Alright, got it. I put my trust in ChicagoBlue. Next week (I assume Wednesday) we'll have TWSN.

That's what I'm going to do as well.

I'm putting ChicagoBlue's claim "in the refrigerator" to quote the famous Chick'ism.

Though we will miss the Detroit game (and hopefully first win) tomorrow. Meh ...

Just hope he doesn't end up having an Admiral for sale after Wednesday or sorts if it doesn't come through. :D

#1233 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,122 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

All I can say is that when NewsCorp owned us dealing with them or Fox you might as well have been dealing with Comcast or Viacom or Disney. People have this assumption that because you are owned by a parent company it should make things easier. LOL. So far from the truth, at least in my experience here. All are separate business \ legal entities and operate in silos essentially.

Yep, I remember how long it took for Time Warner/BHN to add HBO/MAX GO to there service even though there the parent company of Home Box Office Inc.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#1234 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

Who the heck is your cable company?

Bright house

#1235 OFFLINE   james2006

james2006

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

Just an FYI, I had TWC installed this morning solely for the Lakers station. I called Directv shortly after the installation and voiced my displeasure about having to spend $60 per month for one channel with TWC (while i like having Pac 12, it is nowhere near worth the cable sub for that one alone). I never threatened to leave, b/c frankly I could not see living without Sunday Ticket.

The retention rep said that an email went out within Directv this morning that they expect to add the channel soon; his feeling was that they would not put out this type of info if they were not very close to striking a deal. Obviously I am aware that info on negotiations from retention reps is very unreliable, but at the same time he had no reason to make something up since I openly told him I would not leave Directv.

He also gave me $18 off per month for a year and a $50 dollar one-time bill credit to help deal with the cost of cable. So long and short of it is, hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel with TWC/Directv negotiations and I can cancel cable ASAP. If not, I will effectively be paying a total of $100 dollars for cable service during the NBA season taking into account the Directv credits; not an ideal situation but I can live with it.

#1236 OFFLINE   kenkraly2004

kenkraly2004

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

I wish Time Warner Cable Sportsnet would just add the channel to Directv so they can carry it. They and Directv need to get a deal done already. A deal should have been done with Directv before the Lakers season started.

#1237 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

Bright house

211 HD channels? Can you point to a source for that. I don't doubt you, but we do research on this stuff all the time and quite frankly I've never seen anyone even close to that number.

Below is a link from Bright House, even in this link they are counting local channels and have some duplicates like MAV TV listed multiple times and they are counting On Demand HD channels...even with all that, it doesn't equal 211.

http://brighthouse.c...HD_Channels.pdf
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#1238 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

211 HD channels? Can you point to a source for that. I don't doubt you, but we do research on this stuff all the time and quite frankly I've never seen anyone even close to that number.

Below is a link from Bright House, even in this link they are counting local channels and have some duplicates like MAV TV listed multiple times and they are counting On Demand HD channels...even with all that, it doesn't equal 211.

Are they counting

BTN Extra Football Game Channels HD

The part time ESPN Goal Line HD/ESPN Buzzer Beater HD

The part time NFL RedZone HD

The part time MLB Strike Zone HD

The part time HD PPV Events 2??

HD Pay Per View Events Part time????

The 9 part time team HD channels

The 9 part time game HD channels

at least it not cox

http://www.tvpredict...m/cox122011.htm
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#1239 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

Check the listings for bhn central florida

#1240 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:28 PM

Well, half the games have been on the PAC 12 networks, including a week with both of them. Maybe two.

Also, wait till basketball season. it will be even more lopsided. Most games will be on the pac12 networks.

USC football, by my count, has been on the Pac 12 network one time this year out of 9 games. Cal vs USC.

UCLA football has been on three times out of nine UCLA games. UCLA vs Colorado, UCLA vs Cal, and UCLA vs Arizona.

4 out of 18 games amongst the two schools.

Agree, many more college basketball games will be on the Pac 12 network. From my colleagues at DTV, they numbers they are seeing of lost customers is small. Small enough that it hasn't changed their resolve.

They are trying to change the programming dynamic and right now they are the lone warriors in this. They can't collude with others as that would be illegal, so they're hoping their lead will get others to follow suit to get costs under control. They're willing to take subscriber losses to do it if they have to because they know long term you simply cannot survive with 8% to 12% programming cost jumps each year and the ability to only raise customer bills max of 5%. You can't do it and stay in business.

spam firewall