Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lakers New Regional TV Network - NOW ON THE AIR

• Please log in to reply
2096 replies to this topic

#1321 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:34 AM

Apparently, Cox has reached agreement, according to the "crawl" on one of this morning's LA newscasts.

http://www.medialife...akers-networks/

Yep.... that means half of Orange County and half of San Diego can now see the Lakers on Cable. Also means DirecTV and Dish network customers have another alternative if they live in those regions.

Cox also serves all of Las Vegas, which is Lakers market as well.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1322 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,901 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

Well, way back when (like two weeks ago!) I was asked why I was jumping to conclusions in believing that TWC Sportsnet would not be available on DirecTV by the time the NBA season started. In this case I HATE to be right.

It's obvious DirecTV has a different negotiating model, which makes you wonder what will happen when future negotiations for other channels will take place.

I am very disappointed in DirecTV right now.

Sandra

You're out of market, why care? The games are still available on the opposing teams feed for people like us. It sucks for people in the Lakers market, but at least we see the games.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#1323 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:54 AM

You're out of market, why care? The games are still available on the opposing teams feed for people like us. It sucks for people in the Lakers market, but at least we see the games.

Well, I care that I cannot get the Pac-12 Networks and I also worry for the future, when other networks that carry the sports I love will come up for negotiation as well. At this point it's fair to wonder how many other sports networks we may not receive as we move forward.

Good times.

Sandra

#1324 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,915 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:08 AM

Well, I care that I cannot get the Pac-12 Networks and I also worry for the future, when other networks that carry the sports I love will come up for negotiation as well. At this point it's fair to wonder how many other sports networks we may not receive as we move forward.

Very fair question, and the answers won't be universally liked. I'd like the Pac12, but it's not anything close to a deal breaker for me. As more and more sports franchises go for the gold (meaning $$$$, not trophies) the sledding will get tougher, as the bar is being raised (or lowered, depending on your own druthers.)

How's dat for a mixed metaphor??:sure:
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#1325 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,901 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:30 AM

Good times.

Sandra

You didn't answer my question. I didn't ask about P12 Network.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#1326 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

You didn't answer my question. I didn't ask about P12 Network.

Yes, it's good that I'll still (hopefully) be able to see all Laker games...if that's what you wanted to hear.

But I'd like to see other TWC programming as well, which I will not see on DirecTV...not to mention the Pac-12 networks.

But my point is more about the DirecTV situation in general, where they seem to have changed their negotiating tactics. It makes me worry what channels DirecTV will carry in the future.

Sandra

#1327 OFFLINE   TravelFan1

TravelFan1

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

Yes, it's good that I'll still (hopefully) be able to see all Laker games...if that's what you wanted to hear.

But I'd like to see other TWC programming as well, which I will not see on DirecTV...not to mention the Pac-12 networks.

But my point is more about the DirecTV situation in general, where they seem to have changed their negotiating tactics. It makes me worry what channels DirecTV will carry in the future.

Sandra

I second Sandra. I'm already assuming that, by the time Directv needs to renew MSG and MSG+, I'm going to lose both, as I'm fairly sure MSG Networks, owned by the same owners as Cablevision, will want a pretty penny and, under Mike White's directions, Directv seems to no longer put a premium on local RSNs.

I understand what Directv is doing is to fire some warning shots to the other existing and potential new RSNs but still, Directv used to be known as the Sports Leader AND, because of that, people were willing to pay a premium for Directv's services. If I wanted a cheap provider, I'd had stayed with Dish and cheapo Charlie, which, btw, was able to make an agreement with Pac-12.

To summarize, the pre-Mike White Directv would have agreements in place with all these new RSNs and, of course, would have raised our bills. The Mike White Directv don't have agreements in place.

Rip: Comcast: July 2005 - April 2009 & Dish Network: April 2009-July 2011
Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list:BBC World News, Fox Deportes HD, WatchEspn, FoxSports2Go

#1328 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,901 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

I second Sandra. I'm already assuming that, by the time Directv needs to renew MSG and MSG+, I'm going to lose both, as I'm fairly sure MSG Networks, owned by the same owners as Cablevision, will want a pretty penny and, under Mike White's directions, Directv seems to no longer put a premium on local RSNs.

I understand what Directv is doing is to fire some warning shots to the other existing and potential new RSNs but still, Directv used to be known as the Sports Leader AND, because of that, people were willing to pay a premium for Directv's services. If I wanted a cheap provider, I'd had stayed with Dish and cheapo Charlie, which, btw, was able to make an agreement with Pac-12.

To summarize, the pre-Mike White Directv would have agreements in place with all these new RSNs and, of course, would have raised our bills. The Mike White Directv don't have agreements in place.

Wasn't the last MSG deal under White? I believe so.

#1329 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 141 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

Wasn't the last MSG deal under White? I believe so.

Shhh...you'll just confuse him with facts and the truth.

#1330 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

That doesn't mean that Mike White will renew it. I feel that deal was worked out before they changed their tune on RSNs.

You can't deny that there is at least some validity in what TravelFan1 is saying - the directv of a couple of years ago would have been at the forefront of launching these channels. And the directv of today is 0 for 3 on new domestic RSNs (Pac 12, Sportsnet, CSN Houston.)

#1331 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

Mike White's contract was set to expire in January, but he agreed to a new deal last week, so whatever this new direction D* is headed in will continue. I wonder what will happen when some of the current deals with RSN's expire. Could it be they are going to hold off on any new sports channels, and stop renewing any of the expiring contracts, until they agree to go a la carte? Is this how D* is going to counter skyrocketing sports costs and cable's semi-monopolies on sports channels? How long will it take until someone sets precedent and agrees to go a la carte? The Pac-12 didn't bite and Dish messed up D* plan there by adding the network under the traditional satellite structure. And there have been rumblings that D* and Dish are talking merge again, so things will really change if that comes to pass. But those talks won't heat up for at least another four years depending on how the election shakes. One thing's for sure, the golden years for sports on D* appear to be over, for now. I'm not saying they still don't have the best selection of sports (in HD), but when I have to go to TWC to get two very important sports channels in LA, and people in other parts of the county are having the same issues, then it's clear the dynamic is changing and D* is trying to find a way to stop the shift. A la carte, in some cases, may be their only hope...

That's what's so puzzling to me about Directv's stance.. A la carte really doesn't favor them in the long run because it removes the competitive advantage that they have over streaming companies (big selection for less than the cost of each channel individually). Maybe in short term OPEX they benefit, but if they start going a la carte for everything - what's my incentive to stay with them and not get my TV through say... Xbox?

#1332 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,704 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

but if they start going a la carte for everything - what's my incentive to stay with them and not get my TV through say... Xbox?

Because Xbox doesn't offer your local teams. Unless of course the teams and leagues start offering that in the future. But if they do it for Xbox or PS3 or internet then they'll have to offer it that way to all providers, which they should have started doing years ago.

#1333 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

Did you see the Spanish channel? If not, I suspect this is all about league pass.

Just a heads up;

Could have been there in earlier maps, but anyway now seeing the TWC SN Deportes test channels in the latest TPN 10/31 map.

Looks like this confirms testing for future carriage of TWC SN and not merely for LP purposes.

And that Deportes apparently will be optional as a part of Mas Spanish programming package on the 119 bird which may help lower the total cost of the network.

Network Number|Name|Channel Number|TPN|Sat.|Sat. Position|VPID|Ch. Description
3|*DTV|9601|28|D7S|119W|0032|TWC Lakers SD (Spanish)
3|*DTV|9622|24|D7S|119W|1040|TWC Lakers HD (Spanish)

#1334 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

Because Xbox doesn't offer your local teams. Unless of course the teams and leagues start offering that in the future. But if they do it for Xbox or PS3 or internet then they'll have to offer it that way to all providers, which they should have started doing years ago.

That's my point. If they start down an a la carte path then everyone starts down an a la carte path, including with the Xboxes and PS3s of the world. You are already seeing that with ST and PS3. If they go a la carte they're assuming an awful lot about what customer behavior would be all for a little short term opex savings.

#1335 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

According to this article, Root Sports gets between $2.33 - $3.26 per sub per month. http://www.google.co...xCbzkRhHFbHbqTQ

So it's not any spin. Now, who knows the accuracy of all of this, but if Directv can charge $3.26 per sub in Pittsburg then maybe $3.95 would be the going rate for a program like the Lakers. Of course, value is in the eyes of both parties in an unrelated deal. And if Root Sports Northwest can clear $2.84 a month with very little winter content then you'd have to assume the Lakers would be worth more.

Again, that's less than what twc is asking, and twc flat out said they are asking less than what they are charged for root. They spin facts to a lie and use that to try and create pressure. I not even going to get into the number of games and sports n th different channels, etc, at the times all these contracts where signed with root.

#1336 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,432 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

That's my point. If they start down an a la carte path then everyone starts down an a la carte path, including with the Xboxes and PS3s of the world. You are already seeing that with ST and PS3. If they go a la carte they're assuming an awful lot about what customer behavior would be all for a little short term opex savings.

Or maybe they have decided that streaming will collapse on itself in short order. I don't see the economic drive for streaming nor the infrastructure on a large scale basis. Linear is here for quite some time yet.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1337 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

That's what's so puzzling to me about Directv's stance.. A la carte really doesn't favor them in the long run because it removes the competitive advantage that they have over streaming companies (big selection for less than the cost of each channel individually). Maybe in short term OPEX they benefit, but if they start going a la carte for everything - what's my incentive to stay with them and not get my TV through say... Xbox?

I think they are after putting sports channels in general in their own separate tier, and telling the new channels, not the existing ones, they aren't getting in easy. I don't think existing channels will be the big worry, I think its all the new channels that companies want to start. Just look at Los Angeles' we went from two to four RSNs with the same amount of major sports, and they now want probably close to twice as much for the same essential product. That's the problem DirecTV is hard lining against, I think.

#1338 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

Just a heads up;

Could have been there in earlier maps, but anyway now seeing the TWC SN Deportes test channels in the latest TPN 10/31 map.

Looks like this confirms testing for future carriage of TWC SN and not merely for LP purposes.

And that Deportes apparently will be optional as a part of Mas Spanish programming package on the 119 bird which may help lower the total cost of the network.

Network Number|Name|Channel Number|TPN|Sat.|Sat. Position|VPID|Ch. Description
3|*DTV|9601|28|D7S|119W|0032|TWC Lakers SD (Spanish)
3|*DTV|9622|24|D7S|119W|1040|TWC Lakers HD (Spanish)

How can you tell where they might package the channel as optional?

#1339 OFFLINE   spartacvs

spartacvs

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

I live in Las Vegas and it's a Lakers market, am I black out of the Lakers games if I have league pass? Last night I was able to see the game between the Lakers and Pistons on Fox Sports Detroit.

Thanks

#1340 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

I live in Las Vegas and it's a Lakers market, am I black out of the Lakers games if I have league pass? Last night I was able to see the game between the Lakers and Pistons on Fox Sports Detroit.

Thanks

Unless the Lakers market changed this offseason then yes, out-of-market feeds should be blacked out.

I'm starting to become skeptical of DIRECTV "accidents" when it comes to free previews. Just a few weeks ago DIRECTV "accidentally" gave a free preview of the grandfathered Choice Xtra Classic which, of course, leads people to thinking they get channels they don't if they upgrade.

Edited by HGuardian, 05 November 2012 - 06:35 PM.

spam firewall