Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lakers New Regional TV Network - NOW ON THE AIR

• Please log in to reply
2096 replies to this topic

#1341 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,078 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

How can you tell where they might package the channel as optional?

Well first as a safe measure I qualified my statement as "apparently." ;)

But isn't that the usual case for Spanish channels on 119, they are part of the Mas package?

As opposed to those few on the 99, 101, 103 sat. group which are included in the English packages?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1342 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,078 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

I live in Las Vegas and it's a Lakers market, am I black out of the Lakers games if I have league pass? Last night I was able to see the game between the Lakers and Pistons on Fox Sports Detroit.

Thanks

Yes that's strange;

If you are indeed in the Lakers market as Las Vegas is supposed to be. FS Detroit should have been blacked out for the game. :confused:

#1343 OFFLINE   spartacvs

spartacvs

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

Yes that's strange;

If you are indeed in the Lakers market as Las Vegas is supposed to be. FS Detroit should have been blacked out for the game. :confused:

That's sucks for my mom then, she's a die hard Lakers fan. Lol

#1344 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

Again, that's less than what twc is asking, and twc flat out said they are asking less than what they are charged for root. They spin facts to a lie and use that to try and create pressure. I not even going to get into the number of games and sports n th different channels, etc, at the times all these contracts where signed with root.

None of us do not really know what is being said behind all the doors. We do not know when one side cites "we pay more already" that they mean per sub, across the board or whatever other formula.

Fact remains that is is disingenuous to argue on one end for an ala carte model and on the other end for the same traditional deal for its own channels.

Directv already has shut us down in Oregon on CSN-NW and the Blazers. Fact is that per sub we are paying MORE for Root NW - their own channel. Directv has cited publicly the costs for a part-time channel (which is true), but then ignores that it's own Root NW is a part-time channel and it charges MORE.

I do not object to Directv making a business decision to do what it is doing. Sports channel costs are out of control. But then at the same time Directv is doing the same thing as Time Warner on the other end and blocking entry by competitors into the channel box. I also object to Directv lying about it. They did it with the Pac 12 and the Laker channel. They never had any intent to carry these channels.

#1345 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,568 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

None of us do not really know what is being said behind all the doors. We do not know when one side cites "we pay more already" that they mean per sub, across the board or whatever other formula.

Fact remains that is is disingenuous to argue on one end for an ala carte model and on the other end for the same traditional deal for its own channels.

Directv already has shut us down in Oregon on CSN-NW and the Blazers. Fact is that per sub we are paying MORE for Root NW - their own channel. Directv has cited publicly the costs for a part-time channel (which is true), but then ignores that it's own Root NW is a part-time channel and it charges MORE.

I do not object to Directv making a business decision to do what it is doing. Sports channel costs are out of control. But then at the same time Directv is doing the same thing as Time Warner on the other end and blocking entry by competitors into the channel box. I also object to Directv lying about it. They did it with the Pac 12 and the Laker channel. They never had any intent to carry these channels.

Why do you say root northwest is parttime? I get it 24/7 minus blackouts.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1346 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

Why do you say root northwest is parttime? I get it 24/7 minus blackouts.

The lack of content. There is very little on. Pac 12 football, gone, Pac 12 basketball mostly gone. Supersonics off to Ok City, Blazers on CSN....what is left? Big Sky football, geez, most of that is outside of the footprint anyway....Mariners in the summer and nothing in the winter

High School football is now the marquee sport in the fall/winter on ROOT NW.

#1347 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

Seriously what is your damn problem.

I have every right to post in here my displeasure with Directv.

I'm still a paying a Directv customer right now.

You may not like what I have to say but telling me to go to a different forum and post there is wrong.

I really want to see when your so called sources are wrong about Directv reaching an agreement to carry the channel within 7 days like you posted earlier.

Can't wait to see your explanation.

Go back in my posting history and see who brought up the Viacom dispute here before it was even made public. Days before it was public.

http://www.dbstalk.c...com#post3050374

Who predicted the Viacom issue would end within 48 hours and it did?

http://www.dbstalk.c...com#post3060026

I've been in this business for many years. There is no guarantee DTV will get a deal within 7 days, but what I'm hearing from people close to the situation there is a good chance.

Enjoy UVerse.

#1348 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:48 PM

I second Sandra. I'm already assuming that, by the time Directv needs to renew MSG and MSG+, I'm going to lose both, as I'm fairly sure MSG Networks, owned by the same owners as Cablevision, will want a pretty penny and, under Mike White's directions, Directv seems to no longer put a premium on local RSNs.

I understand what Directv is doing is to fire some warning shots to the other existing and potential new RSNs but still, Directv used to be known as the Sports Leader AND, because of that, people were willing to pay a premium for Directv's services. If I wanted a cheap provider, I'd had stayed with Dish and cheapo Charlie, which, btw, was able to make an agreement with Pac-12.

To summarize, the pre-Mike White Directv would have agreements in place with all these new RSNs and, of course, would have raised our bills. The Mike White Directv don't have agreements in place.

The pre-Mike White days programming costs were going up 5% and could be recovered with 4% to 5% price increases. Now they are going up 10% a year, and can't be recovered with price increases. Those are the realities of today's world.

#1349 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:51 PM

According to this article, Root Sports gets between $2.33 - $3.26 per sub per month. http://www.google.co...xCbzkRhHFbHbqTQ

So it's not any spin. Now, who knows the accuracy of all of this, but if Directv can charge $3.26 per sub in Pittsburg then maybe $3.95 would be the going rate for a program like the Lakers. Of course, value is in the eyes of both parties in an unrelated deal. And if Root Sports Northwest can clear $2.84 a month with very little winter content then you'd have to assume the Lakers would be worth more.

The difference is that Root Sports Pittsburgh is broadcasting 162 games of Pittsburgh Pirates and 82 games of Pittsburgh Penguins, plus other content.

TWC is broadcasting 57 games of the Lakers.

#1350 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:42 PM

Go back in my posting history and see who brought up the Viacom dispute here before it was even made public. Days before it was public.

http://www.dbstalk.c...com#post3050374

Who predicted the Viacom issue would end within 48 hours and it did?

http://www.dbstalk.c...com#post3060026

I've been in this business for many years. There is no guarantee DTV will get a deal within 7 days, but what I'm hearing from people close to the situation there is a good chance.

Enjoy UVerse.

I'm hoping the deal is done within the next 42+ hours. Laker game on Wednesday. ;)

#1351 OFFLINE   TravelFan1

TravelFan1

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:34 AM

The pre-Mike White days programming costs were going up 5% and could be recovered with 4% to 5% price increases. Now they are going up 10% a year, and can't be recovered with price increases. Those are the realities of today's world.

I know economy is in worse shape than, say, the late 90s. That said, when you run a business, the idea is the perception about your business is that it is such a value-added proposition, people are willing to pay a premium for it. IMHO, that was Directv pre-Mike White. The Mike White Directv is choosing that they are better off saving some bucks, so being the premium provider that could charge more for its services is no longer as important.

For now, I'll stay with Directv, as it carries all NY-RSNs and the Uefa Champions League and the Uefa Europa league games. That said, just like Directv is firing warning shots to the local RSNs saying the days of paying any price to a local RSN are over, I"m also firing my warning shot: Drop MSG or MSG+ and I'm out.

Rip: Comcast: July 2005 - April 2009 & Dish Network: April 2009-July 2011
Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list:BBC World News, Fox Deportes HD, WatchEspn, FoxSports2Go

#1352 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:03 AM

I know economy is in worse shape than, say, the late 90s. That said, when you run a business, the idea is the perception about your business is that it is such a value-added proposition, people are willing to pay a premium for it. IMHO, that was Directv pre-Mike White. The Mike White Directv is choosing that they are better off saving some bucks, so being the premium provider that could charge more for its services is no longer as important.

For now, I'll stay with Directv, as it carries all NY-RSNs and the Uefa Champions League and the Uefa Europa league games. That said, just like Directv is firing warning shots to the local RSNs saying the days of paying any price to a local RSN are over, I"m also firing my warning shot: Drop MSG or MSG+ and I'm out.

So true...for the 'what are you worried about, you're out of market and you'll still receive Laker games' crowd, the point is that ALL RSN's and sports channels will come up for negotiation at one time or another. If more stalemates are to be reached, and more channels will not be on DirecTV...EVERYONE is potentially affected.

It could get painful for a lot of people.

Sandra

#1353 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,568 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:36 AM

So true...for the 'what are you worried about, you're out of market and you'll still receive Laker games' crowd, the point is that ALL RSN's and sports channels will come up for negotiation at one time or another. If more stalemates are to be reached, and more channels will not be on DirecTV...EVERYONE is potentially affected.

It could get painful for a lot of people.

Sandra

Sure your name isn't Cassandra? ;)

You are worrying about something that hasn't happened.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#1354 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,568 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:37 AM

The lack of content. There is very little on. Pac 12 football, gone, Pac 12 basketball mostly gone. Supersonics off to Ok City, Blazers on CSN....what is left? Big Sky football, geez, most of that is outside of the footprint anyway....Mariners in the summer and nothing in the winter

High School football is now the marquee sport in the fall/winter on ROOT NW.

It is not part time.

#1355 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:01 AM

Sure your name isn't Cassandra? ;)

You are worrying about something that hasn't happened.

Cool...someone who tells people what they should and should not think about...:rolleyes:

Sandra

#1356 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 825 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:02 AM

It is not part time.

I would love/hate to see the ratings on RootSports NW. Compared to last year this time, they are probably down 95%.

To the local viewer (that RSN), it is now a part time channel. M's for baseball. occasional Timber game, then nothing of value.

But you are correct is not a part time channel.

#1357 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 825 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

Cool...someone who tells people what they should and should not think about...:rolleyes:

Sandra

If you don't think about the future you need not worry about it.

#1358 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

If you don't think about the future you need not worry about it.

Unfortunately the last 10 days here on the Jersey coast prove otherwise...

Sandra

#1359 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,568 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

Sandra

No. Just wondering why you are worrying about something that has never happened. And by that I mean directv dumping an RSN over price.

Besides, I thought the play on your name was cute.

#1360 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,568 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

I would love/hate to see the ratings on RootSports NW. Compared to last year this time, they are probably down 95%.

To the local viewer (that RSN), it is now a part time channel. M's for baseball. occasional Timber game, then nothing of value.

But you are correct is not a part time channel.

95%?????

Because they lost three hours of programming a week for 12 weeks???

Protected By... spam firewall...And...