Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lakers New Regional TV Network - NOW ON THE AIR

• Please log in to reply
2096 replies to this topic

#1361 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 816 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:50 AM

95%?????

Because they lost three hours of programming a week for 12 weeks???

ok 90%.... no more pre game / post game shows. no insider shows on pac-12.. lots of soccer (i don't watch it) F1 racing. it has it's audience, but I would say of the college football fans (pac-12) there is no reason to even look at Root for programming.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1362 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,280 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

ok 90%.... no more pre game / post game shows. no insider shows on pac-12.. lots of soccer (i don't watch it) F1 racing. it has it's audience, but I would say of the college football fans (pac-12) there is no reason to even look at Root for programming.

You mean PAC 12 only fan. There is still fbs football on root.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1363 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

No. Just wondering why you are worrying about something that has never happened. And by that I mean directv dumping an RSN over price.

DirecTV lost Versus (now NBC sports network) for a LONG time over price. They're not carrying currently available sports channels over price. Looks like they have a new corporate mission objective.

Sandra

#1364 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,280 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

DirecTV lost Versus (now NBC sports network) for a LONG time over price. They're not carrying currently available sports channels over price. Looks like they have a new corporate mission objective.

Sandra

Versus is not an rsn and that got settled. Because of one channel (maybe two), you are panicking?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1365 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

Versus is not an rsn and that got settled. Because of one channel (maybe two), you are panicking?

It's actually like 5 channels... Comcast Philly (i know its a unique situation with that one), Comcast NW, Comcast Houston, Pac 12 and TWC SN. If you expand this to non-sports channels (Epix!), you do see a trend start to emerge that is distinct from Directv's past.

ChicagoBlue assessment of 10% increases in programming costs not being offset by the max 5% fee increases they can pass on is deadly accurate, so I'm not passing judgement. Directv is not a charity. But they are definitely cost focused now, and that does not bode well for RSNs and other sports programming that continues to get more and more expensive.

In other news, Directv posted a $565MM Q3 profit.

#1366 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,051 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

Sandra

At the time DirecTV lost Versus, the only thing Versus showed that drew a large number of viewers was the Tour de France. The dispute did not start until after the Tour and it was resolved well before the following Tour.

#1367 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

At the time DirecTV lost Versus, the only thing Versus showed that drew a large number of viewers was the Tour de France. The dispute did not start until after the Tour and it was resolved well before the following Tour.

NHL

#1368 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,051 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

NHL

And how much NHL is being shown this year :D

The number of viewers on Versus is three times higher during the Tour than it is any other time of the year.

#1369 OFFLINE   jmpfaff

jmpfaff

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

:nono2:

ChicagoBlue assessment of 10% increases in programming costs not being offset by the max 5% fee increases they can pass on is deadly accurate, so I'm not passing judgement. Directv is not a charity. But they are definitely cost focused now, and that does not bode well for RSNs and other sports programming that continues to get more and more expensive.

I'm not sure 10% increase in programming costs is accurate for the RSNs. I think it is 100+% in some of these cases. As a Rockets fan in Houston, I badly want DirecTV to pick up CSN Houston. But they are still picking up FSN Southwest, and I haven't seen any indication the cost of FSN went down just because they lost the local pro teams. And I think CSN is asking for more than FSN charged on top of that.

Pac12 and Longhorn Network -- again, same trend. Takes programming away from ESPN and the older RSNs, doesn't cut the price of ESPN or the older RSNs, but ask us to pay "full price" for additional channels.

Laker network again looks like the same story.

As much as I want D* to pick up all these channels...as subscribers, we have to be ready for the sticker shock associated with these channels. And it seems like the channels are becoming more demanding about package placement, taking yet another lever away from D*.:nono2:

#1370 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:06 PM

:nono2:

I'm not sure 10% increase in programming costs is accurate for the RSNs. I think it is 100+% in some of these cases. As a Rockets fan in Houston, I badly want DirecTV to pick up CSN Houston. But they are still picking up FSN Southwest, and I haven't seen any indication the cost of FSN went down just because they lost the local pro teams. And I think CSN is asking for more than FSN charged on top of that.

Pac12 and Longhorn Network -- again, same trend. Takes programming away from ESPN and the older RSNs, doesn't cut the price of ESPN or the older RSNs, but ask us to pay "full price" for additional channels.

Laker network again looks like the same story.

As much as I want D* to pick up all these channels...as subscribers, we have to be ready for the sticker shock associated with these channels. And it seems like the channels are becoming more demanding about package placement, taking yet another lever away from D*.:nono2:

Don't disagree, but want to correct one or two points. Fox Sports Southwest is the Dallas Channel that covers the Ranger, the Stars and the Mavs. Fox Sports Houston was a separate stand alone channel that covered the Rockets and the Stros. And it was killed (i..e replaced with Fox Sports New Orleans) when the Rockets and Stros signed with CSN. The status of Fox Sports SW isn't relevant here.

The deal with Fox is for all fox networks - not channel by channel.

#1371 OFFLINE   desulliv

desulliv

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

This is slightly off topic but germane to DirecTV contract renewal negotiations. One of the reasons I've been tied to DirecTV is because of the Chinese language programming that my wife wants. Found out yesterday that TVBusa was unable to successfully renew contract with DirecTV and they are now going to be aired on Dish. If the substitute Chinese programming DirecTV came up with is not satisfactory to my wife, I may be pressured to leave DirecTV for Dish.

#1372 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 652 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

http://www.sportsbus...os-Angeles.aspx

A good story about the LA Sports television market.

#1373 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,051 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

http://www.sportsbus...os-Angeles.aspx

A good story about the LA Sports television market.

And quoting from that article

If the Los Angeles model proves successful, the tremors could be felt throughout the country as other big markets that have multiple professional and college sports teams give it a try. Some even say it could change the entire pay-TV system.

“I’m worried that it could become a trend in other markets,” said Bob Wilson, the top programming executive at Cox Communications. “Everybody’s watching the Lakers and the Dodgers to see what the market will absorb. We’ve been on this path for a long time now. We all are wondering where the breaking point is.”

It is important to all consumers that the Los Angeles model does not prove successful. For the good of all of us, I hope the TWC Lakers channel and the PAC 12 networks fall flat on their faces.

#1374 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

NHL

They only had one exclusive game a week that did nothing but piss off fans of the other teams since it forced a total blackout of the NHL that night, even the local RSNs weren't able to broadcast games.

#1375 OFFLINE   jmpfaff

jmpfaff

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

Don't disagree, but want to correct one or two points. Fox Sports Southwest is the Dallas Channel that covers the Ranger, the Stars and the Mavs. Fox Sports Houston was a separate stand alone channel that covered the Rockets and the Stros. And it was killed (i..e replaced with Fox Sports New Orleans) when the Rockets and Stros signed with CSN. The status of Fox Sports SW isn't relevant here.

The deal with Fox is for all fox networks - not channel by channel.

Nope, Fox Sports Houston was NOT a standalone channel. Fox Sports Houston aired Fox Sports SW programming except when a Houston team was playing, and then they split the feeds temporarily.

In fact, when I switched from Dish to D*, Dish was only part-timing FSN-H during events, and carrying FSN-SW the rest of the time. (Really sucked because it seemed like the Houston feed changed channel numbers every other day)

(The easiest way to tell that they were the same channel was the advertising for local Dallas businesses that ran during things like college football games on the supposed "Fox Sports Houston" channel. I really hate the Dallas Jewelery Exchange commercial.)

Document for me that D* is paying Fox less for FSN-SW now than they were paying for FSN-SW plus the part-time FSN-H, and I'll withdraw my argument. And no, D* can't stop carrying FSN-SW in Houston because of the college sports packages that FSN has.

BTW, what brought me back here was the SBJ story that sdk linked...excellent read on this topic.

#1376 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

Nope, Fox Sports Houston was NOT a standalone channel. Fox Sports Houston aired Fox Sports SW programming except when a Houston team was playing, and then they split the feeds temporarily.

In fact, when I switched from Dish to D*, Dish was only part-timing FSN-H during events, and carrying FSN-SW the rest of the time. (Really sucked because it seemed like the Houston feed changed channel numbers every other day)

(The easiest way to tell that they were the same channel was the advertising for local Dallas businesses that ran during things like college football games on the supposed "Fox Sports Houston" channel. I really hate the Dallas Jewelery Exchange commercial.)

Document for me that D* is paying Fox less for FSN-SW now than they were paying for FSN-SW plus the part-time FSN-H, and I'll withdraw my argument. And no, D* can't stop carrying FSN-SW in Houston because of the college sports packages that FSN has.

BTW, what brought me back here was the SBJ story that sdk linked...excellent read on this topic.

Incorrect. Directv aired it as a part time channel. That doesn't mean it was actually a part time channel. Fox Sports Houston was very much a full time channel for customers of other providers. It becames\ a 24/7 Channel in 2009.

I dont need to document that D* is paying Fox less for Fox Sports SW. Again - nothing has changed for Fox Sports Southwest, and Fox Sports Houston was replaced with Fox Sports New Orleans which airs Hornets games. And as i also mentioned earlier - that's not the way the deal works with Fox and Directv. the RSN are included in the package of FOX Channels that Directv bought - including FX, Fox Soccer, Speed, Nat Geo, Nat Geo Wild, Fox College Sports, Fuel, FMC, and all your favorite Fox Sports Channels.

Edited by tulanejosh, 06 November 2012 - 02:15 PM.

#1377 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

And quoting from that article

If the Los Angeles mo:del proves successful, the tremors could be felt throughout the country as other big markets that have multiple professional and college sports teams give it a try. Some even say it could change the entire pay-TV system.

“I’m worried that it could become a trend in other markets,” said Bob Wilson, the top programming executive at Cox Communications. “Everybody’s watching the Lakers and the Dodgers to see what the market will absorb. We’ve been on this path for a long time now. We all are wondering where the breaking point is.”

Oh my...another person who has the audacity to contemplate something that could happen in the future. Peeps who like to tell us what we can and cannot think about around here will not be happy!

Sandra

#1378 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

There is no guarantee DTV will get a deal within 7 days, but what I'm hearing from people close to the situation there is a good chance.

What's the latest word around the campfire? :grin:

#1379 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 816 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:33 AM

What's the latest word around the campfire? :grin:

i think it's just the crackling of the fire, and some crickets behind you.

or was that a bear?

#1380 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 646 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

Dang. I thought with it being Wednesday, Sixto would have posted TWCSN in full time test...

spam firewall