Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lakers New Regional TV Network - NOW ON THE AIR

• Please log in to reply
2096 replies to this topic

#1461 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,132 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

out of market feed with blackouts and likely lower rates also bright house is tied to TWC.

of course, i realize bhn is to twc as time warner does there negotiations.

i'm not sure what programming central florida will receive on that channel without a subscription. its the fact that cable is getting it and my satellite provider isn't.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1462 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 658 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

Excellent point WebTraveler. If Mike White is serious about controlling costs on local RSNs, being Directv CEO he should lead by example and move all Root Sports RSNs in the local markets to a-la-carte or the sports pak.

That's a good idea. He would profit in the long run if he enacted that policy and stuck to it since it would cost them revenue from all the people who wouldn't pay for the sports tier in Pittsburgh and Seattle but they would make it back and then some from everywhere else. If he lowered everyone's bill at the same time he did this, I think D* would look good and probably get new subscribers.

#1463 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

i am still troubled that bright house in central florida will be adding both versions of twc sports net next month.

i have always respected directv for their sports offerings. my respect may be slowly starting to change.

Bright House is TWC in the sense that TWC does all the negotiations for Bright House for programming content.

Last line of this story...http://www.tampabay....stomers/1252601
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#1464 OFFLINE   moob

moob

Legend

• Registered
  • 176 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:42 PM

Yes, Comcast covers the Lakers market.

Barely. In the grand scheme of things, Comcast is meaningless in this market.

#1465 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,132 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

Bright House is TWC in the sense that TWC does all the negotiations for Bright House for programming content.

Last line of this story...http://www.tampabay....stomers/1252601

I am well aware that two negotiates for bhn. This story is old because nfl network has been available for almost a month!

#1466 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

I am well aware that two negotiates for bhn. This story is old because nfl network has been available for almost a month!

Hmm, if you live on the outskirts of the Lakers' territory don't be shocked that once this deal gets done you are blacked out of all non-national Lakers' telecasts. It seems to be a trend now.

No Rockets, Mavs, Spurs in Louisiana. No Grizzlies or Pacers games in Kentucky. No T'Wolves games in Iowa.

I could certainly see no Lakers games in Nevada.

#1467 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

Hmm, if you live on the outskirts of the Lakers' territory don't be shocked that once this deal gets done you are blacked out of all non-national Lakers' telecasts. It seems to be a trend now.

No Rockets, Mavs, Spurs in Louisiana. No Grizzlies or Pacers games in Kentucky. No T'Wolves games in Iowa.

I could certainly see no Lakers games in Nevada.

Nevada is the home territory for the lakers.

#1468 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

Correct, story is old, merely pointing out that BHN's negotiations are handled by TWC so not surprising they have the channel.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#1469 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

Nevada is the home territory for the lakers.

That's my point.

Grizzlies and Pacers are home territory for a poster on this forum who lives in Kentucky. Directv is not carrying those in-market games for that person (therefore they are also blacked out on LP).

Rockets, Mavs and Spurs are home territory for a poster on this forum who lives in Louisiana. Directv is not carrying those in-market games for that person (therefore they are also blacked out on LP).

With how negotiations are going, and how expensive this channel is, don't be shocked if DIRECTV does not offer it to everyone in Lakers' territory.

#1470 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,827 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

That's my point.

Grizzlies and Pacers are home territory for a poster on this forum who lives in Kentucky. Directv is not carrying those in-market games for that person (therefore they are also blacked out on LP).

Rockets, Mavs and Spurs are home territory for a poster on this forum who lives in Louisiana. Directv is not carrying those in-market games for that person (therefore they are also blacked out on LP).

With how negotiations are going, and how expensive this channel is, don't be shocked if DIRECTV does not offer it to everyone in Lakers' territory.

Why would someone is Louisiana get every Texas team when they get the Hornets? People in Dallas don't get Rockets or Spurs, Houston people don't get Mavericks or Spurs, and San Antonio doesn't get Mavericks or Rockets.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#1471 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

Why would someone is Louisiana get every Texas team when they get the Hornets? People in Dallas don't get Rockets or Spurs, Houston people don't get Mavericks or Spurs, and San Antonio doesn't get Mavericks or Rockets.

You'd have to ask the NBA or the respective teams to explain their goofy territories.

#1472 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

Barely. In the grand scheme of things, Comcast is meaningless in this market.

Those numbers are off
DIRECTV employee

#1473 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:10 PM

Wow! So even if D* picks up TWC SN, don't count on seeing the Lakers outside of Los Angeles, even if you're in their broadcast territory.

I'm the only person I see speculating this just based on all the threads and posts I've seen on just this forum as it relates to other teams. That's not even remotely official.

#1474 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,827 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

I understand. I'm doing the same from reading the tea leaves...

You're just perpetuating F.U.D.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#1475 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,827 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

I'm the only person I see speculating this just based on all the threads and posts I've seen on just this forum as it relates to other teams. That's not even remotely official.

I just looked up a variety of Louisiana zip codes and found nowhere should they get Rockets or Spurs, however about half of Louisiana is Mavericks territory. The closer to New Orleans loses the Mavericks.

#1476 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:48 PM

That's my point.

Maybe Satteliteracer can explain that at some point, it seems off.

#1477 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

Sure, and violate a contract that says those sports channels have to be distributed in a certain way with a minimum number of eyeballs. What a great idea....violating contracts and such. What could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

Violate a contract where he sits on BOTH sides!

Root Sports is owned 100% by Directv, so he'd be enforcing a contract against himself? He can also let himself out of the same contract. See when a parent controls the sub it can do that. Or for the sake of argument parent can pay a fine to sub and then sub can send the dollars right back to parent.

Really now, seriously this is your argument? Silly.

If it makes you better he can have his secretary call himself up and leave messages for himself on voice mail and negotiate with himself. Or look in the mirror and talk to himself.

Bottom line is that RSN model is changing and Directv has substantial invetsment in RSNs itself and is doing whatever it can to protect itself from the changes. Sure $2.33 a month or whatever for Root NW and we get High School football......meanwhile over at Pac 12 they are charging 80 cents for 7 channels and get real games! So who is over charging who!?

Edited by WebTraveler, 08 November 2012 - 10:22 PM.

#1478 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:18 PM

Dish is more diversified and has more revenue streams. They made money last qtr if you consider it before they had to pay the legal settlement to cablevision over the voom issue.

Directv has, well, Directv.

And which makes me wonder that since TV programming is the only real revenue stream for the DTH satellite industry, the only way for DIRECTV and Dish to ultimately survive is to merge into one sole super DTH satellite carrier.

I really don't think DIRECTV and Dish can really afford to compete against each other plus the CATV and Telco distributors for much longer and need to combine their forces into a sole satellite carrier to compete against CATV and Telco industry.

I mean I realize this wreaks of a monopoly for the satellite option, stifles competition and user choice to some degree, and federal regulators certainly won't like it, but I'm not sure there's a future viable alternative unless they (the feds) want to see DBS satellite service eventually disappear altogether.

#1479 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

Dish is more diversified and has more revenue streams. They made money last qtr if you consider it before they had to pay the legal settlement to cablevision over the voom issue.

Directv has, well, Directv.

Dish lost 8% revenue even if they didn't have the pay out so you're not correct. You're also incorrect on how business works but it won't change the fact that you won't be happy. So I won't bother to try to muddy the water with facts.

#1480 OFFLINE   Left4Dead

Left4Dead

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

Did the "test" channel 9732 stop working for you guys earlier today?

It has gone black on my end (error code: 721, "channel not subscribed" message).

Others getting the same or is it still active?

spam firewall